• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

I can't believe you feel right for that super obvious troll bait...

*fell.
And honestly, I'm becoming so literal minded these days I just blow through stuff like that anymore. I'm still riding lab excitement is a lot of it though. Holy shit Tekkaman Blade is dirtier than I ever paid attention to. This is like easy mode mixups.

VariantX

Soooo...I have an idea for SFV. I watch my replays to improve and critique myself and sometimes I wish I could just take the actions of the person I'm playing and put it straight into training mode. Like that Makoto I fought the other day. I wish I could have option to save that users inputs and put them into training mode and then use that as practice against that character.

Literally woke up this morning thinking the very same thing. I mean, you can already see the player's inputs in some games when you play the matches back in replay mode. The next step would just be letting the player play back the match like you would when you're editing a video and just "cut" out and save the inputs to be used in training mode playback.

Kalamari

Literally woke up this morning thinking the very same thing. I mean, you can already see the player's inputs in some games when you play the matches back in replay mode. The next step would just be letting the player play back the match like you would when you're editing a video and just "cut" out and save the inputs to be used in training mode playback.

Can't you just use training mode to duplicate your opponent's moves in order to practice countering?

ShinMaruku

So I find out FSE really IS comback Engine. How can I make it up for doubting you guys.
Now I did not come back on anybody, I'm ass but I was shown it vividly

Means you got competition, Count.

smack-who-is-this-nigga-o.gif

ShinMaruku

thats like telling a young composer they cant learn anything from bach.... thats what you learn from.
I would rather tell the young composer he can scale up to Bach by going to a scale from where they are to him. Of course you can learn from Bach, if you have the foundation.

You must have a strong opposition to school, too.

In the many variations that it can be fuckery, but atleast in school they ramp up for you to learn skills. I think you guys are all misreading what I am saying, until I have the foundation of the point watching somebody like Ai Ai is less useful compared to somebody I can watch and learn from, then as I rank up THEN Ai Ai would be something to look at.

I would rather tell the young composer he can scale up to Bach by going to a scale from where they are to him. Of course you can learn from Bach, if you have the foundation.

In the many variations that it can be fuckery, but atleast in school they ramp up for you to learn skills. I think you guys are all misreading what I am saying, until I have the foundation of the point watching somebody like Ai Ai is less useful compared to somebody I can watch and learn from, then as I rank up THEN Ai Ai would be something to look at.
I disagree. Always learn from the best. Watch a replay over and over until you get what they are doing.

mbpm1

I think you should just take the opportunity to learn from all skill levels

When you're new you can learn from anywhere

grimmiq

Are there any decent video tutorials for complete noobs? Slowly working my way through the Fighting Game Primer linked in OP, then will probably move onto the footsies handbook but it's a lot of text and want some added visual guidance.

Is the Training playlist on Cross Counter TV's youtube channel a decent starting point?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
^
|

4jQ1M.png

Are there any decent video tutorials for complete noobs? Slowly working my way through the Fighting Game Primer linked in OP, then will probably move onto the footsies handbook but it's a lot of text and want some added visual guidance.

Is the Training playlist on Cross Counter TV's youtube channel a decent starting point?

Juicebox was the person who got me from a bad player to an average player to an above average player. I'm trying to push myself to the good threshold which will take longer than the other two but it'll happen. His explanation on footsies just opened a whole new world for me and I've applied it to every fighting game I play and have seen tremendous improvement, obviously I put in the work too. Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQQCan5oo90

I believe a player of any skill level should watch this so they know where they need to start and not fumble during the beginning.

mbpm1

You basically wanna watch Juicebox's video when you want to stop jumping randomly to get your wins and start winning by playing the actual game.

Unless you're a character with a really good jump in then you can apply that and randomly jump as well

Kappa

Dahbomb

It kinda depends on the game, Juicebox's video is great for SF where you aren't jumping a lot but in other games where people are in the air constantly you need a different frame of mind for it. Spacing/footsies becomes a different beast when you have to start worrying about characters with fast air dashes + normals.

grimmiq

Juicebox was the person who got me from a bad player to an average player to an above average player. I'm trying to push myself to the good threshold which will take longer than the other two but it'll happen. His explanation on footsies just opened a whole new world for me and I've applied it to every fighting game I play and have seen tremendous improvement, obviously I put in the work too. Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQQCan5oo90

I believe a player of any skill level should watch this so they know where they need to start and not fumble during the beginning.

Cheers, subbed. I'm below a "bad player", I've been told the right mindset to have as a complete beginner by a couple of people is "be prepared to lose 100 matches in a row before you win 2 in a row".

Tripon

Find something you want to work on (footsies, zoning, spacing, etc) and then find videos like it that you can understand.

When I worked on my fireball game, this helped me a ton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL2emvRGMLE

Cheers, subbed. I'm below a "bad player", I've been told the right mindset to have as a complete beginner by a couple of people is "be prepared to lose 100 matches in a row before you win 2 in a row".
I think it's important to keep expectations for yourself low when you are entering an established game as a new player, but there's a lot more to it than "Expect to lose a lot".

El Sloth

Banned

I don't know what game it is you're trying to learn, but if it's Street Fighter 4 then I still always reccomend people check Vesper Arcade's video series despite it being a bit dated.

Anne

What game are you playing though?

edit: start asking questions and playing people tbh.

ShinMaruku

Generally when people say "Prepare to lose a lot" Is one way to try to protect against somebody getting too frustrated and just abandoning the game, a better thing to say is after a good amount of matches you should have a better vocabulary.

Now the amount of games you lose might be related to the skill gap, for example if you think a Novice would rank up to Federer's level by losing to the man 1,000 times, I think you wasted their time but don't mind me I'm silly.

Best thing I can give a beginner is find a character you like, find some matches and some videos and try to piece it together. Some characters are better learning than others. Some may tell you "You should pick Ryu" Personally I tell those people I'd rather quit the game than pick up this guy who I have no interest in and may teach me bad things as opposed to who I play.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
You basically wanna watch Juicebox's video when you want to stop jumping randomly to get your wins and start winning by playing the actual game.

Unless you're a character with a really good jump in then you can apply that and randomly jump as well

Kappa

Can't help it if you ain't got your neutral down. Granted, those gimmicks you got won't work on my Roo dawg

that will be the case until you reach good player status but enough of that, you have to have that drive to always do better and certain players have achieved that. btw, my hierarchy is like this:

scrub > bad > okay > average > above average > good > great > really good > godlike > daigoat

You can't attain the last one unless you dub the name The Beast, but hey it might happen. Count and Vulva are the only one's here who are at the good level and they are really freaking good at SF4, attaining great for them should happen in SFV.

What game are you playing though?

edit: start asking questions and playing people tbh.

we dont need another count pls, also wat fighting games should i pick up anne? or are you fully retired from the anime fgc?

Astarte

Now that I can finally play people online I'm putting work into Xrd
There are only two polar opposites on the PC version from what I can see; people who are completely new to fighting games and people will oki doki me until I implode.
I'm not even mad at losing because I don't even know what the hell is going on half the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom