• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEO0MJ

What does this mean and where does it come from? I think people think that we're going to lose characters or something which is definitely not the case. It'll probably be the current SG with an extra 6-8 characters, THCs (probably changeable like assists), higher super jumps, a more fleshed out story mode and cross-play (please Ravi pls) if we're lucky.

If we're talking characters... I'd say Annie, Isaac and Minette will be near locks.

Just wondering because a potential Skullgirls 2 would be 2020 at best, and that's if they don't work on another project. By then they might feel like letting go of the old style. Then again Capcom and Morrigan, lol.

Remember that SKill said $500k is a good deal for one fighting game character. That is a lot of money for Indies.

How much did the SG kickstarter bring in, again? If they want big bucks, I think they need to shift to a different art style.

Around $800k. That's their signature look though, and I doubt they'd want change it too much. Despite the change made with Indivisible you can tell it's their work.

56a0c70f73660_CZPYNM5WAAAYEx-.jpglarge.thumb.jpeg.53a5460643d7df3aa41345af421e6c8a.jpeg

Izanami move list with translation, from dustloop
Specials:
Float - Input "Jump" in midair
-> Float Cancel - Input "Jump" while floating
Tengai no Hi - 41236C (chargeable)
Tourai no Hako - 214A or B
Gaihou no Geki - 236A
Renge no Kai - j.63214B
Jiai no Yuu - 63214C
Mujuu no Tate - 623B
-> Mujuu no Gou - 623B during Mujuu no Tate
Shizuku - 41236D (chargeable)
Araragi - 63214D (chargeable / can manipulate by pressing 2 or 8 while charging)

Distortion Drives:
Hazen no Kui - 236236B
Kyomu no Koku - 214214C
Jindou no Koku - 720A (consumes 100 meter)

In normal mode her C attacks have followups when pressing C again. In Magatama mode she loses the followup C attacks and the ability to block but in their place gains 4D, 2D and 6D as projectile attacks. 5D switches between modes. Exceed Accel is called "Nayuta <Arc Drive>".

whoever guessed that "jumping" again would cancel float was right, so thats how those float > ground combos from the trailer will work

notworksafe

I think whoever calls it get's it, and Robot Pants made the Bloodborne OT and that looked fine. Someone could always collaborate too with him and make a community hub list/or tutorial section.
Also no one reads OTs anyway so it really doesn't matter who makes it or what it looks like.

Skilletor

That exhibition was just plain fun. The commentary, the matches, everything about it. I just cannot wait for this game.

Having a gathering the first weekend and can't wait to get back into a new SF with a bunch of friends. :D

How much did the SG kickstarter bring in, again? If they want big bucks, I think they need to shift to a different art style.
~$828,768

Changing the "art style" would mean going back and redoing the frames on every single character released. I don't have to tell you why that isn't happening (unless FGW wins the next powerball, I guess). It also wouldn't woo the Capcom, ASW or Netherrealm players who haven't fallen for wrestler hat girl, hot nurse, Jazzy Q, Anime Randy Savage and Egyptian Jedah. We'd lose several new slots to please exactly no one.
Just wondering because a potential Skullgirls 2 would be 2020 at best, and that's if they don't work on another project. By then they might feel like letting go of the old style. Then again Capcom and Morrigan, lol.
Well... Morrigan is a tiny nineties VSav sprite while Skullgirls models are drawn at a resolution of 2,560 x 1,440.

56a0c70f73660_CZPYNM5WAAAYEx-.jpglarge.thumb.jpeg.53a5460643d7df3aa41345af421e6c8a.jpeg

Izanami move list with translation, from dustloop

whoever guessed that "jumping" again would cancel float was right, so thats how those float > ground combos from the trailer will work
Ew. Jumping to jump cancel is gross. Why not assign it to the D button or something? -_- It's like how Muramasa made you tap up to jump instead of giving a jump button.

Also, your pic is dead.

That exhibition was just plain fun. The commentary, the matches, everything about it. I just cannot wait for this game.

Having a gathering the first weekend and can't wait to get back into a new SF with a bunch of friends. :D
By the way, I RSVP'd to that. :-D

~$828,768

Changing the "art style" would mean going back and redoing the frames on every single character released. I don't have to tell you why that isn't happening (unless FGW wins the next powerball, I guess). It also wouldn't woo the Capcom, ASW or Netherrealm players who haven't fallen for wrestler hat girl, hot nurse, Jazzy Q, Anime Randy Savage and Egyptian Jedah. We'd lose several new slots to please exactly no one.

Well... Morrigan is a tiny nineties VSav sprite while Skullgirls models are drawn at a resolution of 2,560 x 1,440.
The thing is, Dead or Alive is THE game of hot wrestler girl, hot nurse girl, etc., and it does way better than Skullgirls because the artstyle is more universally appealing. Hot girls sell games, but I think most people don't find the Skullgirls characters sexy, just tacky.

Beckx

The thing is, Dead or Alive is THE game of hot wrestler girl, hot nurse girl, etc., and it does way better than Skullgirls because the artstyle is more universally appealing. Hot girls sell games, but I think most people don't find the Skullgirls characters sexy, just tacky.

I'd say it a little differently, the primary design goal of SG wasn't to create Playboy models for the player to salivate over, but instead a more Kamitami like approach of stylized design that also reflects the artists' preferences for female form. (and yes, people can criticize that with "well, I like Kamitami and I hate what Alex & Kinuko do" but that's personal preference, it's insupportable to say Cerebella is tacky but Sorceress isn't.)

So it ends up in a weird space where it wasn't going straight in on appealing to people who want the former but still alienated people who don't want the cheesecake (and the ones who want it but need a lot of male characters to camouflage it).

It's hard for me to articulate (and tbh the discussion is better to have over beers than on internet forums) but what's going on in SG and what's going on in DoA are two very different things.

Also no one reads OTs anyway so it really doesn't matter who makes it or what it looks like.

the faster it's on page 2 (or 20 or 120) of the discussion, the better.

D is for stance switch and projectiles. Im guessing she will have combos that involve the stance switch
Do you mean that she loses ALL blocking ability in one of her stances? o_O

I'd say it a little differently, the primary design goal wasn't to create Playboy models for the player to salivate over, but instead a more Kamitami like approach of stylized design that also reflects the artists' preferences for female form.

So it ends up in a weird space where it wasn't going straight in on appealing to people who want the former but still alienated people who don't want the cheesecake (and the ones who want it but need a lot of male characters to camouflage it).

It's hard for me to articulate (and tbh the discussion is better to have over beers than on internet forums) but what's going on in SG and what's going on in DoA are two very different things.
Good thoughts.

Lol yeah they made 1440p sprites
Only 1.28% of Steam owners have a 1440p monitor going by December 2015's hardware stats. Between that, IPS models and OLED in the future SG will probably age better (technically anyways, don't jump down my throat, guys) than other 2D (not talking 2.5D here) fighters.
Beckx covered it nicely, but I'll add that a lot of the female designs weren't actually made to be primarily sexy in the first place. Peacock is a silver age cartoon homage in grandest (and most mainstream) fashion, Painwheel is a walking mass of pain that barely resembles a 14 year old girl in motion and Double... I don't have to explain that one unless FGW has weirder fetishes than I thought. The DLC characters continue that trend. Squigs is a rotting corpse (far more of a corpse than Hsien-Ko for example) and Eliza routinely splits open like some sort of vore exhibitionist. Most of this stuff is really what Kinuko and Alex excelled at when SG was being made and playing to that strength really resonated with people.

They'd probably be doing better if they had more financial backing too, but without money this is the result. Even Street Fighter would have been damaged significantly if Capcom didn't have the funds for SNES or PS1 ports. Surely the IP would need more money before we start changing it on a fundamental level (unless it means getting rid of blanka which might just be worth it).
I'd say it a little differently, the primary design goal of SG wasn't to create Playboy models for the player to salivate over, but instead a more Kamitami like approach of stylized design that also reflects the artists' preferences for female form. (and yes, people can criticize that with "well, I like Kamitami and I hate what Alex & Kinuko do" but that's personal preference, it's insupportable to say Cerebella is tacky but Sorceress isn't.)

the faster it's on page 2 (or 20 or 120) of the discussion, the better.
Nice post

Question.

Overall how do you guys feel about SFV having a magic pixel? I spoke about it a bit on discord and in the beta thread.

It looks like there's a bit of gray health left over from attacks that would normally KO you. I'm not exactly sure how much extra health it is, but I've found it really noticeable.

That mixed in with higher scaling closer to death and no chip kills is pretty much your comeback factor also with V-Triggers.

Personally I never really cared for the magic pixel
especially when used against me BabyRage
. While it's not nearly as bad as Vanilla Marvel, it reminds me of how the last like 15 shots of Dante's super wouldn't kill even though they have no health :/.

It seems to promote offensive play (which is the direction the game has been going in) but I think it'll overall negatively affect a character like Dhalsim. Say you're in a situation where you already earned your last hit but it doesn't kill, fireballs won't chip kill them and you either don't have the meter for a CA or don't want to spend all your meter on a CA to end the round. So now you're in a position where you have to earn (again) that last hit. The opponent can just keep walking forward without fear of being chipped. Sim can't do a regular fireball trap because the opponent is no longer forced to jump out of the way of a fireball.

While this does promote the player with the life lead to continue playing solid and the losing opponent to never give up, it feels like a defensive character archetype like Dhalsim or (and potentially Guile depending on how he plays) is a bit negatively affected by this mechanic.

inb4

backpacks-o.gif

I'm always against inaccuracy. I don't see the magic pixel as being more hype than extremely low health, personally. Both put you in the "omg one hit and he's dead" mindset.

I dislike higher scaling at the end of life bars in every game it's in. I don't think no chip kill unless CA is a problem but I'd rather have damage be consistent and the life bar being a clear and accurate indication at all times. We get enough of those James Chen moments without that bullshit.

I dont like chip damage at all, and I dont like health scaling. Xrd's health scaling is awful

Edit: persona actually does health bar scaling in a way thats fun, since you can bypass it if your opponent makes a mistake and it also leads to strategic burst timing.

I dislike higher scaling at the end of life bars in every game it's in. I don't think no chip kill unless CA is a problem but I'd rather have damage be consistent and the life bar being a clear and accurate indication at all times. We get enough of those James Chen moments without that bullshit.

It's to prevent dying by two 50% combos. I personally don't mind it, but added in with the magic pixel/little bit of grey health at the end is kind of annoying :/.

I dont like chip damage at all, and I dont like health scaling. Xrd's health scaling is awful

Edit: persona actually does health bar scaling in a way thats fun, since you can bypass it if your opponent makes a mistake and it also leads to strategic burst timing.
Honestly, the worst thing about Smash is the lack of chip damage. Shields should only negate 75% of the damage done by specials.

notworksafe

You talking about that CO tournament? I can't decide if I'm going to that or Undefeated yet.

maybe its because all of the games I play are extremely offensive, but chip punishing good defensive play just seems backwards to me
Good defensive play would be avoiding the attack entirely.

Mediocre defensive play is blocking the projectile, and your punishment is taking chip damage.

Similarly, the punishment for a poorly spaced/utilized special is its avoidance, and typically, taking damage from the other player.

The reward for a properly spaced/utilized projectile is guaranteed damage of some kind.

I play a lot of fighters, I think it's a good universal rule. Chip damage on normals is debatable, though I'm liking it in SFV so far.

Good defensive play would be avoiding the attack entirely.

Mediocre defensive play is blocking the projectile, and your punishment is taking chip damage.

Similarly, the punishment for a poorly spaced/utilized special is its avoidance, and typically, taking damage from the other player.

The reward for a properly spaced/utilized projectile is guaranteed damage of some kind.

I play a lot of fighters, I think it's a good universal rule. Chip damage on normals is debatable, though I'm liking it in SFV so far.
in blazblue and persona, good defensive play is not avoiding the attack entirely. Its just not possible. A lot of characters thrive on their ability to punish blockstrings as well

in blazblue and persona, good defensive play is not avoiding the attack entirely. Its just not possible. A lot of characters thrive on their ability to punish blockstrings as well
Blockstrings seem irrelevant to this conversation.

I also think you are clearly wrong in regards to both BlazBlue and Persona. I'm not even sure how you can maintain such a position while playing those games.

It's to prevent dying by two 50% combos. I personally don't mind it, but added in with the magic pixel/little bit of grey health at the end is kind of annoying :/.

You generally burn all your resources to even get anywhere near that amount of damage in a single combo to begin with. Though I wouldn't have a problem with that anyway if we're talking getting crush countered into SPD or something like that. You fucked up, hold that.

notworksafe

Nah, I couldn't go to that because I work Saturdays until early afternoon. :(

I'm having a gathering at my apartment with other friends that can't make it.

Ah dang that sucks. It's probably sorta sad but I cleared out a bunch of Saturdays in my work schedule just so I could make it to events lol

Blockstrings seem irrelevant to this conversation.

I also think you are clearly wrong in regards to both BlazBlue and Persona. I'm not even sure how you can maintain such a position while playing those games.
because with chip damage, blockstrings would have the defensive player eating damage.

And ive been playing blazblue and persona for a long time. You dont just avoid every Nu 13 projectile or Yukiko fan, you block and find openings. For special only chip, half of Nu-13's mixup is specials as well. It would be obnoxious if all of that was chip damage, especially for tager players

because with chip damage, blockstrings would have the defensive player eating damage.

And ive been playing blazblue and persona for a long time. You dont just avoid every Nu 13 projectile or Yukiko fan, you block and find openings. For special only chip, half of Nu-13's mixup is specials as well. It would be obnoxious if all of that was chip damage, especially for tager players
In a good game, the offensive player is given a choice: guaranteed chip damage out of a blockstring with weak frame advantage, or no chip damage with stronger frame advantage. Personally, I usually go for the former route because of the kind of player I am. BlazBlue gets rid of the first option, forcing people to always go for the best frame advantage option. I consider that a loss of depth, though it doesn't bother me in a significant way because it's mitigated by the guard gauge and other interesting mechanics (see below).

You rarely avoid EVERY projectile, but that's because you're engaging in a psychological game with your opponent about when and where those projectiles will be thrown. If you are GREAT at defensive play, and your opponent is not, then you can avoid everything and punish.

That said, I don't think Nu's D swords should cause chip damage, because I agree that, contextually, they are too strong. I am glad they removed their chip damage in Central Fiction, and they aren't "specials" in the traditional sense, anyway. Nu is a bad example because she's S tier in BBCPEX, also.

I feel like you're biased against zoning/keepaway here because you play a rushdown character. There need to be rewards for good zoning/keepaway in the neutral when it can't lead to combos. It doesn't HAVE to be chip, it can be something like Arakune's curse bar building up so he gets a massive boost from a period of successful zoning. Similarly, Nine's reward for proper zoning is spells. Rachel's reward for proper zoning is screen-placed damage areas. Etc. I think BlazBlue does a good job of giving characters rewards outside of chip damage, which is a good thing, but hopefully you recognize that BlazBlue is evidence in my favor, since it is designed to consistently give rewards to zoning characters that zone effectively, and those rewards are typically WAY better than chip damage.

MrDaravon

Shoot, I missed almost all of the MadCatz thing last night, I thought it wasn't starting until 11pm EST, but I think that's what time it starts tonight. I was playing Diablo with Shouta lol. Caught the last few matches, I'll need to go back and watch the archives.

NEO0MJ

And I will forever hate Ravidrath for never releasing the high res pack. Ok, not really. But it's kinda disappointing. I get doing that for consoles but I'm sure PCs can handle them.

Skilletor

Ah dang that sucks. It's probably sorta sad but I cleared out a bunch of Saturdays in my work schedule just so I could make it to events lol

I was going to do this, but I'm an adjunct teacher part-time, and have to teach what they tell me or not teach.

I plan on going to one out of state tourney other than EVO this year, but I'm thinking something after EVO rather than before.

Nightii

Banned
I absolutely adore the cartoony visual style of Skullgirls/Lab Zero Games, there is hardly anything else like it in video games. You people depress the hell out of me.

mbpm1

Idea: what if certain moves could chip kill (besides CAs)? Like, a very telegraphed or punishable thing would be able to, but the attacker could face serious punishment for going for it at the wrong moment.

Could be an interesting meta-game. Or it could just be stale I suppose.

notworksafe

I was going to do this, but I'm an adjunct teacher part-time, and have to teach what they tell me or not teach.

I plan on going to one out of state tourney other than EVO this year, but I'm thinking something after EVO rather than before.

I think a couple folks from Springs and Chavelo are going to Final Round, though that is before EVO. It's one I've always wanted to go to but can't this year.

Depends on the game. Seeing SFV with almost MK like Chip damage is weird but interesting. I do the fact that specials don't kill but supers do.

Games like MKX makes chip an actual strategy.

Tekken has chip in a certain situation so its negligible.

I feel like you're biased against zoning/keepaway here because you play a rushdown character. There need to be rewards for good zoning/keepaway in the neutral when it can't lead to combos. It doesn't HAVE to be chip, it can be something like Arakune's curse bar building up so he gets a massive boost from a period of successful zoning. Similarly, Nine's reward for proper zoning is spells. Rachel's reward for proper zoning is screen-placed damage areas. Etc. I think BlazBlue does a good job of giving characters rewards outside of chip damage, which is a good thing, but hopefully you recognize that BlazBlue is evidence in my favor, since it is designed to consistently give rewards to zoning characters that zone effectively, and those rewards are typically WAY better than chip damage.
why would I be biased, Nu doesnt even frustrate me. What you are saying here is blazblue is a better designed game, and thats something i can agree with. There are much better options for designing a character than chip damage being some majorly beneficial thing to a zoner. Its also why zoners are so fucking boring in most games that arent ASW.

Tornix

correct, should make for some really interesting options, like Jump > float cancel > ground normal from low height which leads into a combo that resets onto the ground
I wonder if she'll have similar instant overhead ability as I-no with fdc, but that depends how soon she can float after jump. Definitely a character I'm looking at.

I wonder if she'll have similar instant overhead ability as I-no with fdc, but that depends how soon she can float after jump. Definitely a character I'm looking at.
definite possibility if her ground mids become overheads no float, then it could be like 98 > 5B as an overhead option. Could be interesting if she pans out that way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom