• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Alpha 2 also has unblockable(shoutouts to vallecombos) bs and OSes, it's just how it is in fighting games.

I don't see a reason to accept bullshit of this magnitude as coming with the territory these days when you have people with a greater understanding of high level play involved in development and patches are possible. You obviously never reach perfect balance by virtue of having different characters but fighting games can definitely be better than that.

LOL, stop worrying about Ono, guys.

Hi everyone,

I was referred to this community by Line.

I've never been a big fighting games fan but I was always interested in them. Over the last year I've found I've been watching a lot more streams of the big fighting tournaments and I came to the conclusion after trying to refuse it that I do love fighting games and I want to get "good" at them.

Line was nice enough to send me here and looking at the first post it has a lot of just what I've been looking for.

I am a complete noob when it comes to these games, the last fighting game I owned was whichever Street Fighter it was that had that opening theme "invincible" or "indestructible"? on the 360.

Oh and I guess Smash Bros. on Wii U if that counts.

I've subscribed to the thread so I'll be lurking around, reading through the guides in the first post and probably posting occasionally when I get confused by lingo I've found.

Thanks in advance for any help any of you give me.
IMO, pick a game and start playing. Experience trumps all.

Right, I'm just saying that there's diversity. Shadowsoldier is the one saying chip shouldn't exist.

Mike Ross going into MadCatz Cup like:

ltjsuj.gif

Then suddenly:

jjteas.gif

I absolutely adore the cartoony visual style of Skullgirls/Lab Zero Games, there is hardly anything else like it in video games. You people depress the hell out of me.
This.

It seems to promote offensive play (which is the direction the game has been going in) but I think it'll overall negatively affect a character like Dhalsim. Say you're in a situation where you already earned your last hit but it doesn't kill, fireballs won't chip kill them and you either don't have the meter for a CA or don't want to spend all your meter on a CA to end the round. So now you're in a position where you have to earn (again) that last hit. The opponent can just keep walking forward without fear of being chipped. Sim can't do a regular fireball trap because the opponent is no longer forced to jump out of the way of a fireball.
It didn't really gimp Dhalsim's playstyle I found, partially because he's not combo-oriented enough for the magic pixel to kick into effect as much as it does with other characters and with his EX special move options being more valuable to his game plan than the Critical Art, low health damage scaling won't be as prevalent either. The magic pixel 'mechanic' also doesn't really undo his space control if he's already in a position to poke from afar, so eh.

Then again, I'm quite bad at him in V currently in spite of having mained him for ages, so my word doesn't mean a whole lot until I wrap my head around his intricacies / match-ups.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Right, I'm just saying that there's diversity. Shadowsoldier is the one saying chip shouldn't exist.
That's bad game design for a 2d fighter.

Getting wittled down by chip is like getting poked at by an outboxer. Getting killed from chip is showing you are too worn out to block the final big attack.

You know actual fighting stuff.

Barrier system works in BB off a similar logic it's your defensive staminia. Which makes the guard breaks make sense as well. Getting hit by one with barrier up takes off a big chunk of it because you are blocking such a strong attack and once your barrier is depleted you are "winded and worn out" and take extra damage because you are "more open"

I mean thats not how they word it but that's how you can apply it outside of magic stuff

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Rage quitting a tournament.

da GOAT

We got a new JC in the building folks. Fanning over every instance of Mike Ross
zmm8oXO.png

That's bad game design for a 2d fighter.

Getting wittled down by chip is like getting poked at by an outboxer. Getting killed from chip is showing you are too worn out to block the final big attack.

You know actual fighting stuff

You know, I'm actually really interested in game design specifically for fighting games since it is one of the most difficult processes I know. Do you and Shadowebb mind telling me through PM what you guys are doing? I say so since I have experience in both programming and game design and would not mind being a QA guy or just ideas to bounce off of, if ya'll don't mind that is.

peter0611

Xrd was pretty much guaranteed to be part of the EVO lineup, but the NA release date for Revelator cements its spot.

I can't even be mad if the PC lags behind a while. I'm just happy Sign is available!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What's the release date for Rev?
You know, I'm actually really interested in game design specifically for fighting games since it is one of the most difficult processes I know. Do you and Shadowebb mind telling me through PM what you guys are doing? I say so since I have experience in both programming and game design and would not mind being a QA guy or just ideas to bounce off of, if ya'll don't mind that is.

Not for me to decide or say :p

shaowebb

What's the release date for Rev?

Not for me to decided or say :p
I'm up for discussing the possibility in a PM. There's a few things I'd have to know first and you'd need to know as well before either of us would know if this was something we'd both want.

notworksafe

I always laugh when people complain about option selects and unblockables and then go on to hail super turbo as the greatest thing ever made.

ST is the greatest fighter ever made

but only if you know how abuse its systems and use the broken shit to your benefit :D

I'm probably ultra late to the party, but I just ran across an entertaining screwattack crossover worth sharing. Looks like this particular versus title would be more fun than most thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu3wHy9o2nc
And I will forever hate Ravidrath for never releasing the high res pack. Ok, not really. But it's kinda disappointing. I get doing that for consoles but I'm sure PCs can handle them.
Just one more reason to hope for Skullgirls 2.
I absolutely adore the cartoony visual style of Skullgirls/Lab Zero Games, there is hardly anything else like it in video games. You people depress the hell out of me.
Same

It only adds to the genre. No one else is doing 2D like them or a team based fighting with so much balanced options.
Eww. Hopefully LZ is on track to not have to crowdfund anything ever again.
I liked being part of the process for the DLC characters and Indivisible. They also just get more money that way. Maybe we'll get lucky and someone on the team will win the lottery next time. :p

shaowebb

Fighting games are bullshit and that's why I love them.

Honestly from a lot of developer interviews I've been reading thats a universal. The more Marvel was balanced the worse it performed because it wasn't as exciting. Same with some early Melty Blood stuff. In general, what draws success more than anything is letting shit rock. You can't allow a game to become too broken, but you generally seem to do better when everyone has a few busted things than no one from what the numbers say. Folks like to feel awesome and in general powerful shit gives folks a thrill. Whether its Polimar/ Casshern unblockables, Akuma tatsu assist + Berzerker slash connecting, or just someone gettin to go ham with their favorite character folks just enjoy things that are good being allowed instead of nerfed to shit or aborted in the womb.

Though no one likes infinites and rampant time scam/ super free unblockables or cast who chip death you like Trident Rush Aquaman apparently. Some things you gotta prevent, but still from all the developer interviews it seems the public reception is better when you allow folks to enjoy a general bit of bullshit tools to enjoy across the whole cast.

vulva

I love how in these excellent adventures Gootecks is fanboying over Kenny probably too much, then it turns out Kenny's probably an even bigger fan of CC. Dropping tons of references to older episodes etc.

Honestly from a lot of developer interviews I've been reading thats a universal. The more Marvel was balanced the worse it performed because it wasn't as exciting. Same with some early Melty Blood stuff. In general, what draws success more than anything is letting shit rock. You can't allow a game to become too broken, but you generally seem to do better when everyone has a few busted things than no one from what the numbers say. Folks like to feel awesome and in general powerful shit gives folks a thrill. Whether its Polimar/ Casshern unblockables, Akuma tatsu assist + Berzerker slash connecting, or just someone gettin to go ham with their favorite character folks just enjoy things that are good being allowed instead of nerfed to shit or aborted in the womb.

Though no one likes infinites and rampant time scam/ super free unblockables or cast who chip death you like Trident Rush Aquaman apparently. Some things you gotta prevent, but still from all the developer interviews it seems the public reception is better when you allow folks to enjoy a general bit of bullshit tools to enjoy across the whole cast.

I disagree with this kinda from a bigger developer point of view. I work with devs and there is always talk about balance and player options and fairness. Which leads to fun and avoids frustration which leads to players leaving and bad word of mouth. Of course it doesn't always pan out this way and shit fucks up. But of course there are a thousand devs with different opinions and I don't work with fighting game devs.

Maybe if FG devs didn't have this mentality the player base would be bigger?

I liked being part of the process for the DLC characters and Indivisible. They also just get more money that way. Maybe we'll get lucky and someone on the team will win the lottery next time. :p

More character votes? I'll pass. If/when LZ makes a game after Indivisible, they'll do something to include their fans even if they aren't crowdfunding.

. . . winning the lottery isn't where you should be placing your hopes. The ideal situation is Indivisible raising more money through the current crowdfund and the game selling well when it's released so that LZ makes enough money to fund their next game.

Having to crowdfund again would be unfortunate for a variety of reasons.

Bizazedo

I disagree with this kinda from a bigger developer point of view. I work with devs and there is always talk about balance and player options and fairness. Which leads to fun and avoids frustration which leads to players leaving and bad word of mouth. Of course it doesn't always pan out this way and shit fucks up. But of course there are a thousand devs with different opinions and I don't work with fighting game devs.

Maybe if FG devs didn't have this mentality the player base would be bigger?

Agree.

A lot of the current players who play Eve Online, for example, are sociopaths. When changes are suggested / made, they have the loudest voice. The sane people don't really bother anymore.

So some changes / no changes benefit them, but it discourages newbros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom