• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, CO's fighting game community is reppin' hard on here.

I thought I had something going on that first weekend after SFV drops, but I might go to the Boss Stage tourney. Who knows...

K.Sabot

My Cammy vs some guy:

A match in which I example the fundamental reason why I can't play Cammy in SFV. I am immensely uncomfortable with confirming into cannon drill with only a single jab after hitting with a cannon strike. It got better by the end of the test, but I still hate having to commit when you don't even get jab to combo in some instances of the strike hitting.

My Cammy vs some guy:

A match in which I example the fundamental reason why I can't play Cammy in SFV. I am immensely uncomfortable with confirming into cannon drill with only a single jab after hitting with a cannon strike. It got better by the end of the test, but I still hate having to commit when you don't even get jab to combo in some instances of the strike hitting.

In that last round you got a deep one and got a 2nd hit.

I would say that as long as you dont hit a character's forehead, you -know- at least one jab will combo. So in most instances you are judging whether or not you're deep enough for another hit, not really worried about the jab after the cannon strike. This still gives a reliable 2 hit confirm as long as you're spaced right (the strike, then the jab).

It's not super-solid at all times like say MP to HP. It's a spacing-specific, situational combo which is absolutely useful.

Question.

Overall how do you guys feel about SFV having a magic pixel? I spoke about it a bit on discord and in the beta thread.

It looks like there's a bit of gray health left over from attacks that would normally KO you. I'm not exactly sure how much extra health it is, but I've found it really noticeable.

That mixed in with higher scaling closer to death and no chip kills is pretty much your comeback factor also with V-Triggers.

Personally I never really cared for the magic pixel
especially when used against me BabyRage
. While it's not nearly as bad as Vanilla Marvel, it reminds me of how the last like 15 shots of Dante's super wouldn't kill even though they have no health :/.

It seems to promote offensive play (which is the direction the game has been going in) but I think it'll overall negatively affect a character like Dhalsim. Say you're in a situation where you already earned your last hit but it doesn't kill, fireballs won't chip kill them and you either don't have the meter for a CA or don't want to spend all your meter on a CA to end the round. So now you're in a position where you have to earn (again) that last hit. The opponent can just keep walking forward without fear of being chipped. Sim can't do a regular fireball trap because the opponent is no longer forced to jump out of the way of a fireball.

While this does promote the player with the life lead to continue playing solid and the losing opponent to never give up, it feels like a defensive character archetype like Dhalsim or (and potentially Guile depending on how he plays) is a bit negatively affected by this mechanic.

inb4

backpacks-o.gif

I fucking love it but I know during some losses I'll feel the salt that I could have won if only I got that final hit in.

I like chip kills. Now its the pixel that won't die unless its a clean hit. I know its a comeback mechanic that promotes offense and getting the kill but I feel like an EX move is what should be able to chip kill.

petghost

Banned
i like chip kills in street fighter games.

in some anime game with seemingly endless blockstrings i could totally understand not wanting that. GG has a good balance as you have to spend meter to not get chipped out.

Numb

Not a fan of chip kills
Being pretty much dead after a knockdown in the chip zone is boring.
Opponent putting a fireball on your wakeup you can't do anything about or walking forward after knockdown and just EX Shoryuing

Question.

Overall how do you guys feel about SFV having a magic pixel? I spoke about it a bit on discord and in the beta thread.

It looks like there's a bit of gray health left over from attacks that would normally KO you. I'm not exactly sure how much extra health it is, but I've found it really noticeable.

That mixed in with higher scaling closer to death and no chip kills is pretty much your comeback factor also with V-Triggers.

Personally I never really cared for the magic pixel
especially when used against me BabyRage
. While it's not nearly as bad as Vanilla Marvel, it reminds me of how the last like 15 shots of Dante's super wouldn't kill even though they have no health :/.

It seems to promote offensive play (which is the direction the game has been going in) but I think it'll overall negatively affect a character like Dhalsim. Say you're in a situation where you already earned your last hit but it doesn't kill, fireballs won't chip kill them and you either don't have the meter for a CA or don't want to spend all your meter on a CA to end the round. So now you're in a position where you have to earn (again) that last hit. The opponent can just keep walking forward without fear of being chipped. Sim can't do a regular fireball trap because the opponent is no longer forced to jump out of the way of a fireball.

While this does promote the player with the life lead to continue playing solid and the losing opponent to never give up, it feels like a defensive character archetype like Dhalsim or (and potentially Guile depending on how he plays) is a bit negatively affected by this mechanic.

inb4

backpacks-o.gif
I don't know what to feel about it until I've played like 1000 matches. Feels sort of like 3s, but then there wasn't really any zoning in there unless you were Remy (and it was ass). So I can understand that it will be a struggle for Dhalism and zoners to end the game.

I also feel that some people at the moment are praising everything that is the opposite of SF4 as something good without fully evaluating it. I don't think chip kills in SFV would have been that much of a detriment, and if they wanted to make it meter dependent Capcom could have made it so only ex and supers chip. Then zoners have an option that won't cost them their entire bar.

We'll see in a couple months if people start bitching about getting a character down to 0 hp and then losing the match because their character doesn't have a good overhead (or none possibly) and bad throw range (or are a zoner). So they just have to take a comeback attempt.

Line_HTX

I hate chip damage so much.

It's OK if it's in SF, but Arcsys games should not have chip. You're already dealing with lots of mixups and blockstrings near the end of the round, and chip kill should not factor into that as well.

the issue with chip damage is that it can lead to inescapable situations where you are just bound to lose as the lower health player (i.e fireball that hits you on wakeup or safejump into dp or other chip move). Nobody wants to really wants to lose like that since it just feels dumb. You kind of lose for guessing right in those situations you know. LIke how many games you feel daigo locked with him doing dp/ex dp on their wakeup for the chip kill because it was pretty much guaranteed? I feel like the only reason xrd has it is b/c fd negates it, so you always have a chance if you have meter

Beckx

But if you were there in the first place you already lost.

SFIV's chip damage can be pretty huge though. Oni's EX DP took off a giant chunk of life for a blocked attack (I don't know if they reduced it in Ultra).

I think I'll miss a reliable way to end fights when I've "won" but overall I think I'm in favor of it being gone.

Also why is hitting someone walking forward suddenly unreasonable as a zoner once the opponent is at that magic pixel? Chances are you've been doing that most of the round. They're necessarily at a deficit at that point so they're likely coming at you. Alternatively, timing them out is an option.

Also why is hitting someone walking forward suddenly unreasonable as a zoner once the opponent is at that magic pixel? Chances are you've been doing that most of the round. They're necassarily at a deficit at that point so they're likely coming at you. Alternatively, timing them out is an option.

Exactly. If anything, as a zoner you have a huge advantage when the opponent is down to the last pixel. If a Sim can't get a single hit in while the opponent is forced to approach and they somehow manage to win, then that's all on you.

There are some disadvantages to having no chip kills, but they far outweigh the disadvantages of chip kills in SF.

FACE

Banned
SFIV's chip damage can be pretty huge though. Oni's EX DP took off a giant chunk of life for a blocked attack (I don't know if they reduced it in Ultra).

I think I'll miss a reliable way to end fights when I've "won" but overall I think I'm in favor of it being gone.

Not just SF4, in SF3 some supers do insane chip.

Also why is hitting someone walking forward suddenly unreasonable as a zoner once the opponent is at that magic pixel? Chances are you've been doing that most of the round. They're necassarily at a deficit at that point so they're likely coming at you. Alternatively, timing them out is an option.

I wasn't trying to imply that it was unreasonable, it's just with the added effect of no chip kills means that your fireballs don't have as much leverage as they did the whole round, so your opponent can just slowly walk and block you down into the corner without tons of risk.

Timing them out is an option though.

Not just SF4, in SF3 some supers do insane chip.

*insert evo moment #37*

Storm has good chip in MvC3 too. Super xfactor Super

A lot of MvC teams are based off of chip sequences and SF4 has some good chip setups. So many of my wins came from scissor kicks and yoga infernos.

DeeJay's super to ultra chip was really funny too.

I was going to do this, but I'm an adjunct teacher part-time, and have to teach what they tell me or not teach.

I plan on going to one out of state tourney other than EVO this year, but I'm thinking something after EVO rather than before.
My students often say "What's adjunct mean?", and I tell them it means "disposable". Have you ever thought about teaching high school instead?

why would I be biased, Nu doesnt even frustrate me. What you are saying here is blazblue is a better designed game, and thats something i can agree with. There are much better options for designing a character than chip damage being some majorly beneficial thing to a zoner. Its also why zoners are so fucking boring in most games that arent ASW.
People tend to be biased toward their own play archetypes.

Which non-ASW games have boring zoners outside of Street Fighter?

I'm not saying BB is a better designed game. I like both models. I really like Dormammu's chip game, but I also think that Nine's spell system is cool. Between the two, I like Dormammu more.

I hate chip damage so much.

It's OK if it's in SF, but Arcsys games should not have chip. You're already dealing with lots of mixups and blockstrings near the end of the round, and chip kill should not factor into that as well.
But both ASW titles have barrier to negate chip.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Hi everyone,

I was referred to this community by Line.

I've never been a big fighting games fan but I was always interested in them. Over the last year I've found I've been watching a lot more streams of the big fighting tournaments and I came to the conclusion after trying to refuse it that I do love fighting games and I want to get "good" at them.

Line was nice enough to send me here and looking at the first post it has a lot of just what I've been looking for.

I am a complete noob when it comes to these games, the last fighting game I owned was whichever Street Fighter it was that had that opening theme "invincible" or "indestructible"? on the 360.

Oh and I guess Smash Bros. on Wii U if that counts.

I've subscribed to the thread so I'll be lurking around, reading through the guides in the first post and probably posting occasionally when I get confused by lingo I've found.

Thanks in advance for any help any of you give me.

Hi everyone,

I've never been a big fighting games fan but I was always interested in them. Over the last year I've found I've been watching a lot more streams of the big fighting tournaments and I came to the conclusion after trying to refuse it that I do love fighting games and I want to get "good" at them.

Line was nice enough to send me here and looking at the first post it has a lot of just what I've been looking for.

I am a complete noob when it comes to these games, the last fighting game I owned was whichever Street Fighter it was that had that opening theme "invincible" or "indestructible"? on the 360.

I've subscribed to the thread so I'll be lurking around, reading through the guides in the first post and probably posting occasionally when I get confused by lingo I've found.

should also look at the fg noob thread that cindi created

petghost

Banned
the issue with chip damage is that it can lead to inescapable situations where you are just bound to lose as the lower health player (i.e fireball that hits you on wakeup or safejump into dp or other chip move). Nobody wants to really wants to lose like that since it just feels dumb. You kind of lose for guessing right in those situations you know. LIke how many games you feel daigo locked with him doing dp/ex dp on their wakeup for the chip kill because it was pretty much guaranteed? I feel like the only reason xrd has it is b/c fd negates it, so you always have a chance if you have meter

i dont see whats so bad about inescapable situations. the rest of the round led up to that point. its not like the player got knocked down with 0 health randomly. its like if you whiff a dp you are going to get punished, if you get knocked down with little health you get chipped out.

Kalamari

I'm not sure I understand what the magic pixel is. Is it the last bit of health that doesn't allow chip damage or something?

I'm not sure I understand what the magic pixel is. Is it the last bit of health that doesn't allow chip damage or something?

No, it's like the little bit of extra health you have after it looks like your stamina bar has reached 0. I believe they've put a bit of grey life to make it noticeable.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Hi everyone,

You came at a great time with SFV around the corner. Ask any questions and we'll try our best to answer them. Hopefully we can work with Robot Pants (who will be making the SFV OT) and see if we can give him some insight on personalities/tutorials to link to make the transition easier on everyone who wants to play.

Wallach

Think of it like this: a character's actual health bar is slightly longer than what is displayed visually on the UI. So it is possible to still be alive even though the health bar is actually displaying completely empty. It's just something you have to consider if you actually wind up in the situation where someone is extremely low on life but not dead. For example if they have, say, two visible pixel rows of health you may fail to chip them out with your CA even if visually the chip manages to take those two visible pixel rows of green.

I was going to do this, but I'm an adjunct teacher part-time, and have to teach what they tell me or not teach.

I plan on going to one out of state tourney other than EVO this year, but I'm thinking something after EVO rather than before.

Even though it's before, I recommend Combo Breaker if you're only doing one other besides Evo

i dont see whats so bad about inescapable situations. the rest of the round led up to that point. its not like the player got knocked down with 0 health randomly. its like if you whiff a dp you are going to get punished, if you get knocked down with little health you get chipped out.

If you whiff a DP you get punished during recovery. Here you have a situation where you technically have control of your character but it's made irrelevant.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
My students often say "What's adjunct mean?", and I tell them it means "disposable". Have you ever thought about teaching high school instead?

People tend to be biased toward their own play archetypes.

Which non-ASW games have boring zoners outside of Street Fighter?

I'm not saying BB is a better designed game. I like both models. I really like Dormammu's chip game, but I also think that Nine's spell system is cool. Between the two, I like Dormammu more.

But both ASW titles have barrier to negate chip.

This guy exist though.

FACE

Banned
I always laugh when people complain about option selects and unblockables and then go on to hail super turbo as the greatest thing ever made.

Hi everyone,

another from NHL gaf enters the ring

I always laugh when people complain about option selects and unblockables and then go on to hail super turbo as the greatest thing ever made.

I played in my first ST tournament at Canada Cup.

I got Vega'd and Balrog throw looped

fundamentals and footsies tho...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom