• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpm1

Honestly from a lot of developer interviews I've been reading thats a universal. The more Marvel was balanced the worse it performed because it wasn't as exciting. Same with some early Melty Blood stuff. In general, what draws success more than anything is letting shit rock. You can't allow a game to become too broken, but you generally seem to do better when everyone has a few busted things than no one from what the numbers say. Folks like to feel awesome and in general powerful shit gives folks a thrill. Whether its Polimar/ Casshern unblockables, Akuma tatsu assist + Berzerker slash connecting, or just someone gettin to go ham with their favorite character folks just enjoy things that are good being allowed instead of nerfed to shit or aborted in the womb.

That's why I play Ken. Tatsu is so free.

ST is fun because the abusive stuff is so easy to execute

Every fighting game is going to have really broken stuff that's incredibly difficult to stop, so to make fighting games accessible you just make that stuff accessible to anyone with fingers and a dream

Does anyone know where I can find that gif of Dee Jay dancing behind that crying white woman?

E6HKFJi.gif

Bizazedo

I dunno, feels like stream #'s at least for SF IV are fading pretty hard. It'll still be played. It'll never 100% die....but most of the pros will go to where the #'s are.

Real question is if the common folk stick with it.

ShinMaruku

I dunno, feels like stream #'s at least for SF IV are fading pretty hard. It'll still be played. It'll never 100% die....but most of the pros will go to where the #'s are.

IF SF5 is a hit then it will die very quickly which is probably Capcom's intention.

Perro

If you're talking about Japanese players, the common folks are in the arcades. So RIP SFV.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
IF SF5 is a hit then it will die very quickly which is probably Capcom's intention.

So it'll be another Marvel? Vanilla MvC3 sold pretty well for a franchise that hasn't been in the spotlight for over 10 years. Ultimate is where they fucked up releasing a year afterwards... IT STILL STINGS!

And then I'll never have a reason to touch a new Capcom game again

Fine, take setups out. Change the combos, idk... people are hard to pls

ShinMaruku

SF5 will be fine when we have enough time and new characters are added. People are fucked up in expecting something that had 5 revisions against the first iteration.

jerry1594

I saw a lot of chip kills with that thing during coop cup.
Don't know why they don't red parry it more. Maybe not as practiced as the Chun sa2 parry or want the Ibuki to go for all 20 hits so they can punish. Only seen Pyrolee do it. Anyway that's singling out the one super designed to do significant damage on block. Next highest chip is probably Hoyokosen and it's notably less.

Beckx

Is there an modern example of Japanese players staying with an old version, Melee style, and the scene for the old version in Japan thriving?

I know there are examples of new versions helping kill the scene. Hi, Virtual On Force.

My bet is that Sony has time limited exclusivity re arcade versions and you'll see SFV in Japanese arcades in 6 months to a year.

FACE

Banned
Don't know why they don't red parry it more. Maybe not as practiced as the Chun sa2 parry or want the Ibuki to go for all 20 hits so they can punish. Only seen Pyrolee do it. Anyway that's singling out the one super designed to do significant damage on block. Next highest chip is probably Hoyokosen and it's notably less.

That is true, Kazumi Suzaku is the only thing that does that crazy kind of chip. I think that in general chip damage in sf3 is much lower than sf4.

jerry1594

That is true, Kazumi Suzaku is the only thing that does that crazy kind of chip. I think that in general chip damage in sf3 is much lower than sf4.
I don't know how it is in sf4 but damage kind of scales depending on where the lifebar is (green/yellow/orange). Sanchez compared it to Guts in GG basically. Also forgot KKZ.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I shouldn't talk about balancing, I'm a Guy/Honda player

Guy in my opinion was one of those characters that had untapped potential and people didn't want to bother with him cause he was too risky of a character due to his low damage output and low health. However, when he got his vortex going, I pray for your safety to the SF gods.

FACE

Banned
I don't know how it is in sf4 but damage kind of scales depending on where the lifebar is (green/yellow/orange). Sanchez compared it to Guts in GG basically. Also forgot KKZ.

SF4 also scales damage based on where the lifebar is, nowhere near gg levels of scaling though.

Guy in my opinion was one of those characters that had untapped potential and people didn't want to bother with him cause he was too risky of a character due to his low damage output and low health. However, when he got his vortex going, I pray for your safety to the SF gods.
His damage output was fine and pretty good in the corner. It's just his run stop pressure gave me carpel tunnel and much more complicated risk/reward then just using a divekick character. Also his elbow drop you can see coming from a mile away, so again divekick better option (but elbow is safer on block so ???). His floaty jump is kind of meh too because he doesn't have an airblock, but you can change his trajectory with the elbow drop I guess..

Kind of wish his bushin flip was as good as it was in Alpha3 where you used it to get in more. Now it's more or less used for setups.

At 50% health remaining damage is scaled to 90%. At 25% health remaining damage is scaled to 75% health. Damage does not scale in the middle of a move. If it was done with 51% or 26% then it will do full damage or 90%. I would know because I use to think I would survive Ultra's at half life with Evil Ryu who only has 900 health. But nope, I died every time when I got hit by the more damaging Ultras like Gief's.

Kalamari

Why did Aris stop streaming Mass Effect 2? Did he even finish insanity difficulty level or witness the power of the M-920 Cain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom