• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
His damage output was fine and pretty good in the corner. It's just his run stop pressure gave me carpel tunnel and much more complicated risk/reward then just using a divekick character. Also his elbow drop you can see coming from a mile away, so again divekick better option (but elbow is safer on block so ???). His floaty jump is kind of meh too because he doesn't have an airblock, but you can change his trajectory with the elbow drop I guess..

Kind of wish his bushin flip was as good as it was in Alpha3 where you used it to get in more. Now it's more or less used for setups.

as a guy player, your post resonates with me.

honestly guy is a pretty cool char. Capcom really nipped us in the bud when they took away cr. MP 's anti air abilities.

i understood WHY they did it, but man that one hurt a LOT!

I think they'll stick with SFV as that's where the money will be. If it turns out crap, I expect Capcom to update the game with some changes.

shaowebb

Has there ever been a doujin/indie 3d fighter?

Girl Fight, Various Touhou ones overseas, I think a few others. They are much harder to develop though as they require a lot more specialized art help. Plus there are MANY 2d fighting game engines you can study and/or use commercially out there and very few for 3d.

There is a much higher entry level barrier to this sort of game. The advantage of it though is once you have your foundation in place and your work pipeline tested and true things can proceed fast and you can make animation revisions, and costume/character alterations across an entire moveset VERY easily as opposed to having to redraw over a thousand frames, then polish the lines on those, then do the flatting on those, then do the final shadowing and then hand draw all the particle effects and hit sparks.

Plus you get to have a LOT more elaborate character designs in 3d as opposed to having to redraw all that shit over and over like in 2d.

All those constraints go away...you just have a LOT of technical knowledge required before you can even take your first steps. I'm 2 years (maybe 2.5?) in and I'm only just now fully exiting design and partial asset production to full scale production of assets and engine work. A lot of studying and design work had to take place to even start and I'm a ways out yet before animations go into things and get tested vs screen size, lighting, gravity, frame rate, etc etc etc.

CO_Andy

Yowza! The latest Bloodstained screenshots are really something else.
sfELXMi.png

5lTPC7s.png

rkuKDLi.png

SNK and Capcom aught to consider hiring Inticreates to develop a fighter (especially SNK).

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Yowza! The latest Bloodstained screenshots are really something else.

SNK and Capcom aught to consider hiring Inticreates to develop a fighter (especially SNK).

Please no, I don't want them to be tainted. They are doing splendid with Bloodstained.

I think the question is: what could happen to SFV to fix that problem?

I think most people don't want focus attacks to return.
I sure as hell don't want parries.

So what could add to the game's depth?

If this is the case, Capcom will update the shit out of SFV so it plays more like SFIV in terms of setups and combos lmao
I doubt this will happen. SFIV plays less like SFIV used to, and people are happier for it.

I think it's more about the neutral, and what I've talked about before. Focus Attack added a really interesting level of depth to the neutral that wasn't there before. I'm not a fan of it, but it's there. Then, FA became a way to get out of bad footsie situations, and that made it even worse. Still, you can feel the gap with it gone, and I think Capcom will need to add something in a year or two to keep the game interesting.

I've already talked my head about what should be done, but I don't hear any other suggestions.

I've already talked my head about what should be done, but I don't hear any other suggestions.

I don't think there's that much merit to this discussion when the game isn't even out yet, and more importantly we have no idea what developer support and community support for the game looks like yet. I really doubt a lack of complexity is going to what sours people on SFV, though I'm sure if something does "kill the hype" people will blame the game for not being technical enough.

The competitive scene will stick around, especially since this is a mainline SF game and Capcom won't continue supporting SF4. People begrudgingly played SF4 for so many years, even though it's always been a popular game to hate up until SFV got announced. The real question is whether the new people SFV brings in will stick around.

Skilletor

I don't want to bring this up anywhere else because it's not super important to me, but people keep saying that MK is hella more popular than SF. I think it might be slightly more popular, but not like omg more popular. The only frame of reference we have right now is MK9 vs. SF4.

MK9 released 4/11

Boon said it sold "closer to 4 million units" in 2013 (http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...likely-outperformed-vanilla-street-fighter-4/). I know we've seen a PC release and all of that, but I don't think that's important for general stats.

SF4 released 2/2009 on consoles

Capcom says they sold about 3.3 million units according to their "Platinum" website:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html (#11)

So, yeah, that's less than MK, but unlike MK, SF gets regular updates. Super SF4 sold 1.9 million units according to Capcom's site (#27), and that is not including the 1.2 Million copies Super sold on 3DS (#55 on the website).

Ultra SF4 released 7/14 sold about 500k copies in a four month time frame: (http://www.eventhubs.com/images/201...apcoms-fy2014-q2-results-presentation-page-9/)

I don't see an updated number for that, and it doesn't include the PS4 release.

Now, according to creamsugar in the Dec. NPD thread, MKX, one of the best selling titles of the year. That sounds impressive to me at first, but then I see that it sold 2.3 Million:

2015 3rd party, with special editions and without bundles.

MKX ~ 2364
4 ~ 57.90%

Which definitely falls in line with SF4 at the time of release:

http://www.1up.com/news/capcom-ships-2-million-street

I don't mean to make MKX's sales sound like they're bad or anything, but it doesn't seem like it's drastically more than SF4 sold. It seems like people take the cumulative sales of MK and compare them to Vanilla SF4, which I think isn't fair since people aren't going to continue to buy SF4 once SSF4 is out, and the same with USF4.

Am I completely off base in thinking the series sell in comparable numbers or am I missing something?

Kumubou

Is there an instance where a developer with no experience with fighting games was brought in to make one? The closest I can think of was with Double Helix and Iron Galaxy on KI, and even then they hired developers with a lot of experience playing FGs (while having a suitable eye for the design and development of them). A developer's first attempt at a fighting games is almost always a trainwreck.

Which leads me to segue into this:

I'm 2 years (maybe 2.5?) in and I'm only just now fully exiting design and partial asset production to full scale production of assets and engine work. A lot of studying and design work had to take place to even start and I'm a ways out yet before animations go into things and get tested vs screen size, lighting, gravity, frame rate, etc etc etc.
How concerned are you that when you actually get everything in-engine and playable... your concepts are not very fun to play? I only have a vague idea of the work you've done in your project, but my understanding is that fighting games are a genre you want to get to a first playable prototype as quickly as possible, as you will need to iterate over the controls and subsystems.

Skilletor

The NPD number is US only. It was reported that MKX has sold over 5 million world wide.

Link?

(edit: nm, found it: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/12/batman-arkham-knight-mortal-kombat-x-sell-5-million-each)

And that's fine, since I'm not comparing MKX to SF, just MK9 (since that's the only fair comparison right now). I'm just wondering where this notion comes from that MK is that much more popular.

If SF5 comes out and doesn't sell nearly as well, that's something different, but from what we have right now, that it's massively more popular doesn't seem right.

Link?

(edit: nm, found it: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/12/batman-arkham-knight-mortal-kombat-x-sell-5-million-each)

And that's fine, since I'm not comparing MKX to SF, just MK9 (since that's the only fair comparison right now). I'm just wondering where this notion comes from that MK is that much more popular.

If SF5 comes out and doesn't sell nearly as well, that's something different, but from what we have right now, that it's massively more popular doesn't seem right.

The disconnect is coming from you thinking comparing MKX to SF4 isn't fair and everyone else thinking it doesn't matter.

If SF5 puts up comparable number then people will have to readjust their perspectives, but right now MK is a franchise that can sell 5M and SF isn't.

. . . or something. Why does it matter which is more popular, especially when they're both obviously big players?

Skilletor

The disconnect is coming from you thinking comparing MKX to SF4 isn't fair and everyone else thinking it doesn't matter.

If SF5 puts up comparable number then people will have to readjust their perspectives, but right now MK is a franchise that can sell 5M and SF isn't.

. . . or something. Why does it matter which is more popular, especially when they're both obviously big players?

It doesn't matter. That's why I posted it here where I won't get bogged down with fanboyo bullshit. I just keep seeing it and I wonder if it's true. :)

And the disconnect isn't coming from MKX, which is obviously huge, people were saying this about MK before MKX launched.

It doesn't matter. That's why I posted it here where I won't get bogged down with fanboyo bullshit. I just keep seeing it and I wonder if it's true. :)

curiosity, nothing wrong with that

And the disconnect isn't coming from MKX, which is obviously huge, people were saying this about MK before MKX launched.

Like you, I think before MKX I would have put them at similar levels. In my mind, with absolutely no fact checking because I don't really care, they were both series that were doing about 2.5M. After seeing MKX at 5M though, I don't think SF is going to do those numbers, so I guess MK is more popular.

If you were seeing it before MKX, then it might have just been selective bias from people. Most probably don't care enough to check facts, so they just spout whatever feels like the truth in their own heads.

But then it could also just be you misremembering the past based on current perceptions.

Hard to say without concrete examples

Line_HTX

Just finished watching this week's episode of Erased. By god, this is easily anime of the season right next to Rakugo. The exposition in Erased....
lawd.png

Yo...you pervert!

You made the right choice. Erased could be the best this season. Now have you watched Phantom World yet?

:p

mbpm1

Well this is the same guy who basically said "SF4 sucks, everyone here is bored of it, including me" a year ago so that's interesting.

El Fucko has hurt a great many things. DJ is worse though. I would tolerate El Fucko for no DJ ever.

Yams' Day 1 El Fuerte beat my Day 2 Chun during Random select. FeelsBadMan

If this is the case, Capcom will update the shit out of SFV so it plays more like SFIV in terms of setups and combos lmao

I'd stop playing if they did that, and I don't think JP players would be that incentivized either.

Without doubt I suck but most people never played her and there must be a reason. Can't just be me being ass. :p

Yeah, but nobody played Guy, Cody, Poison, Hugo, etc either.

Why did Aris stop streaming Mass Effect 2? Did he even finish insanity difficulty level or witness the power of the M-920 Cain?

Aris hates reading and things that aren't sparky sparky boom boom.

Just finished watching this week's episode of Erased. By god, this is easily anime of the season right next to Rakugo. The exposition in Erased....
lawd.png

I need to get around to it.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
You made the right choice. Erased could be the best this season. Now have you watched Phantom World yet?

:p

Watched the first episode, I felt a little uncomfortable at the ending... lol, my friend is a sucker for shows like that.

Erased seems pretty great. Really enjoying Grimgar too myself.

Grimgar is okay, I just think they're talking too long to get into the meat of the plot. I'm just surprised that these animators are concentrating on ass and tits so fucking hard when they usually fail. You should give Dimension W a shot, its actually pretty good.

Warxard

Banned
I find it near impossible for SF5 to reach MKX's numbers as long as it remains a console exclusive.

If MKX can do 500K and be a fucking awful port, I confidently believe that SFV will make a million on PC alone within six months.

I'll bet on that. Capcom games (games that people on steam actually want) do well on Steam. It isn't a difficult concept to grasp.

I think the ESPN link might have a sizable influence on sfv. At least i think a fighting game might be easier to swallow for a casual watcher compared to mobas.

That is unless mobas scare off potential eyes or just canibalize all viewership due to constant exposure on that side

petghost

Banned
If MKX can do 500K and be a fucking awful port, I confidently believe that SFV will make a million on PC alone within six months.

I'll bet on that. Capcom games (games that people on steam actually want) do well on Steam. It isn't a difficult concept to grasp.

i think MK has ridiculous mass appeal tho so i wouldnt overestimate SF in comparison.

Marz

Guy in my opinion was one of those characters that had untapped potential and people didn't want to bother with him cause he was too risky of a character due to his low damage output and low health. However, when he got his vortex going, I pray for your safety to the SF gods.

Meh, i feel like the character isnt well rounded enough. Kind of got that glass cannon thing going on and thats not preferable in SF.

And he doesnt have low damage his damage is solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom