• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

vocab

Zhi is not for me. I love when he brings up some meme and his co commentator never plays off of it so his joke just lingers and sounds awkward. Combofiend did it to him every time.

kirblar

Zhi is love/hate.

Ski has fixed a lot of the obnoxious shit he was doing years ago that was downright awful and is actually decent now.

I don't really pay attention to commentary much. As long as they aren't yelling every two seconds or being back-seat players (hi, Magus), I'm okay with it. If someone is proven, like Seth, ComboFiend, Viscant, Prog, or D1, then I'll pay more attention.

Marz

Zhi has more knowledge about SF4 than any other exclusive commentator on the planet. So many things i didnt know about certain characters that Zhi taught me about.

Will probably be the same for SFV and hes not going anywhere so deal with it or hit that convenient mute button i swear every fucking time we get some high level matches and Zhi's on the mic the whole thread turns into pages about how people dont like Zhi and we dont even discuss the actual matches or anything.

Zhi has more knowledge about SF4 than any other exclusive commentator on the planet. So many things i didnt know about certain characters that Zhi taught me about.

Will probably be the same for SFV and hes not going anywhere so deal with it or hit that convenient mute button i swear every fucking time we get some high level matches and Zhi's on the mic the whole thread turns into pages about how people dont like Zhi and we dont even discuss the actual matches or anything.

yeah thats another thing.

Zhi is one of the few commentators who has vast technical knowledge of the games he commentates. aside from the pop culture comments, he also can dissect and bring up obscure facts of titles he's proficient in. which are a lot of games!

mbpm1

i swear every fucking time we get some high level matches and Zhi's on the mic the whole thread turns into pages about how people dont like Zhi and we dont even discuss the actual matches or anything.
When people don't like a commentator they don't pay attention to the match

or indeed, most of what he says

Beckx

I don't really pay attention to commentary much. As long as they aren't yelling every two seconds or being back-seat players (hi, Magus), I'm okay with it. If someone is proven, like Seth, ComboFiend, Viscant, Prog, or D1, then I'll pay more attention.

p. much this. I tune it out unless they're actually describing mechanics on display in the match.

Like I've seen Tokido do half screen CAs on people the last two days and LPN blocked it but I have no idea the mechanics involved in hitting it versus having it blocked because people on the mic are just chatting.

hitsugi

I'm i the only one that can't stand Zhi?
Don't feel the same about any other commentator or are indifferent

Zhi has the most jarring voice in the FGC. Forget about what he's actually saying - the sporadic shrieks and high pitched sounds are painful to listen to.

Combofiend is probably my favorite commentator to be honest. Or co-commentator at least. Maybe not the most hype to listen to, BUT he provides a lot of great insight.

Coda

Zhi has the most jarring voice in the FGC. Forget about what he's actually saying - the sporadic shrieks and high pitched sounds are painful to listen to.

Agreed, it's like you never know when they're coming until your speakers/headphones explode.

tariniel

I was happy to see that Bison finally got some play there, even if it was from LPN. The shitty thing is that the stream kept lagging and crapping out during the Bison matches so I didn't really get to see them. Does anyone know if this is uploaded anywhere without the lag issues so I can check it out?

I don't actually care what Combofiend is saying I could just listen to his voice all day

really? combofiend? :/ well if that's what you like that's what you like. i think his voice sounds a bit too nasal sometimes for my liking.

i like to have the commentators talking in the back while i'm doing work/playing another game so if something crazy happens i can switch to the stream. so i prefer my commentators to have clear voices and sharp sounds.

I don't get it: were Wolfe and LPN playing the the cracked Beta or were they playing the final copy?

i think people were saying he had access to full game before it goes gold.

pixelish

we should make a fgc-gaf monthly bingo chart that would include "discussing whether or not x is anime" and "complaining about zhi's commentary"

Line_HTX

Every time I hear Zhi commentary he sounds kind of level headed. I guess I missed all the parts where he screams. I don't hear enough of him to see if I dislike him.

I'd like a Zhi, Xian, and Infiltration commentary though. Shit would be a laugh riot.

Marz

I'd like a Zhi, Xian, and Infiltration commentary though. Shit would be a laugh riot.

They do this on cross counter asia and its actually pretty bad because Xian and Infiltration dont speak enough english to really catch sarcasm or many obscure references Zhi throws out.

Kumubou

I like Zhi's commentary when he doesn't completely go off the rails. It's pretty clear he has a ton of knowledge about the game and he can work that in well when he can keep his thirst and some awful jokes in check.

After seeing some of these comments, I'm kind of relived that the only games I commentate are games no one here
or anyone else
watches.

Kikirin

Quick question: I have an older PS3/PC hitbox controller and will soon have a PS4 for SFV. Will my hitbox do the 8-minute timeout, and if so, will the update firmware thing on the hitbox website work to fix it? I DL'ed it and haven't been able to install the firmware on there following their instructions.

I'm under the impression that the PS4/PC Hit Box controllers likely use a different PCB than the PS3/PC or 360/PS3/PC ones, so the recently-released firmware likely won't work on your older model.

You can try looking up whether the Toodles Cthulhu PS3/PC Board has a firmware update to be PS4-compatible though. Even if it does, it's likely that you'll be experiencing the 8-minute timeout without being able to fix it.

ShinMaruku

They do this on cross counter asia and its actually pretty bad because Xian and Infiltration dont speak enough english to really catch sarcasm or many obscure references Zhi throws out.
Xian should know enough English to get Zhi's shit because English is taught in Singapore as it was a British crown possession

Coda

Backseat commentating is pretty disrespectful honestly. I get why it happens but it's not fair to see something happen and then comment on how you would've done it differently. It's easy to look back at a moment and in hindsight say the better option but to the 2 players playing at that moment, they are in the now and in a fast paced fighting game, things don't always go as planned or can be predicted. It annoys me when people get annoyed that someone dropped a combo or missed a particular read, we're all human, these things do happen.

Skilletor

I don't mind Combofiend's backseat commentating in SF5 since right now he knows so much. It's usually insight into what's punishable or possible.

It'll annoy me in a few months if it keeps up as it has, though.

notworksafe

I think some backseat commentary is fine. It's a nice insight to hear "in this situation X would have been a better call" or something similar. Something like "that was a shitty move, he sucks" is not helpful or useful commentary at all though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom