• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
tumblr_nim1aeW1x61slig2vo1_500.gif

mbpm1

I want to do one a week before SFV's release, but I'm not interested in doing a regular tournament. I want to do a random select(with Edition Select) tourney like how I did one time before SFxT's release if anybody remembers that. I just feel like we already know who can beat who's ass in this game so I wanted to make it more random by literally using random. Maybe Blackule beats me 7 times out of 10 if we play our normal characters. But if I get my main while he gets someone he doesn't know how to play like Guy or Hakan then I have the upper hand. The better player still wins normally, but their is still a chance under the right circumstances.

I want to do a PC and PS4 tourney with the prize being Season Pass for both winners. With the Steam version I'll gift it to you, with the PS4 version I'll instead have to buy a digital code worth 30$ and message it. I know I could just do something else like PayPal but the emphasis is to reward a season pass to someone who plans on buying SFV and is going to use the season pass. Of course whoever wins the PS4 version can do whatever they want with the $30 PSN gift card, I won't mind. But I'm still going to force that person to do some extra work to get something else out of it or only buy PS4 content :p

I want to get at least 8 players per system. If that happens then I'll run it for sure. It has to be on a Friday or Saturday though and you can only enter one even if you have the game on both platforms.

Random? I'm random!

I'm in

remember when SEGA-AM2 made that fake Virtua Fighter trailer that spoofed Street Fighter and had the cast doing hadokens and shit? wish I could find it.

You have a bad memory. Do you not recall EVO 2010 when there was only 1 Japanese player in Top 8? Why? Because Japan wasn't taking Super seriously. You think America was just godlike in Super and fell off with AE? Japan just didn't give a shit. Outside of sponsored players no one in Japan was playing Super.

During Super, there were a lot of Japanese players taking it seriously. I'll list the names. Daigo, Tokido, Mago, Momochi, Sako, Uryo, YHC Mochi, Kindevu, and a couple of other players. If anything, the arcade was losing players to console SSF4 during this period. Online Gods Garden wouldn't be possible without those players.

The thing is, only Daigo was sponsored during Super. The rest of them weren't and they weren't used to traveling overseas. As Nemo said in the past, traveling overseas to compete gives players a new perspective on competing. He said that his motivation and enthusiasm went up after going overseas. That's why he was chipping in money to get some of the Japanese players to compete overseas through the Kappa sponsorships.

edit: I will add that after EVO 2010, the Japanese started to view EVO as bigger than how they used to view it. The combination of the crowd and the amount of viewers changed that perception.

As Nemo said in the past, traveling overseas to compete gives players a new perspective on competing. He said that his motivation and enthusiasm went up after going overseas. That's why he was chipping in money to get some of the Japanese players to compete overseas through the Kappa sponsorships.

If Japan is supposed to be the best how come going overseas gives new motivation and enthusiasm? People act like USA and EU ain't shit compared to Japan, but if we ain't shit, how does it give them new perspective or motivation?

Anne

If Japan is supposed to be the best how come going overseas gives new motivation and enthusiasm? People act like USA and EU ain't shit compared to Japan, but if we ain't shit, how does it give them new perspective or motivation?

The environment and motivations are a lot different outside of Japan. The players there are very good but even basic things about how tournaments work are vastly different.

Lulubop

During Super, there were a lot of Japanese players taking it seriously. I'll list the names. Daigo, Tokido, Mago, Momochi, Sako, Uryo, YHC Mochi, Kindevu, and a couple of other players. If anything, the arcade was losing players to console SSF4 during this period. Online Gods Garden wouldn't be possible without those players.

The thing is, only Daigo was sponsored during Super. The rest of them weren't and they weren't used to traveling overseas. As Nemo said in the past, traveling overseas to compete gives players a new perspective on competing. He said that his motivation and enthusiasm went up after going overseas. That's why he was chipping in money to get some of the Japanese players to compete overseas through the Kappa sponsorships.

edit: I will add that after EVO 2010, the Japanese started to view EVO as bigger than how they used to view it. The combination of the crowd and the amount of viewers changed that perception.

Let him know

Well, in general, going overseas does that to people. You get to experience a foreign culture. In the case of tournaments, they're no longer playing people they play all the time. There are new people to become friends with. The crowd is different. There is money on the line. Maybe they're treated differently that gives them some more self-worth. I don't think there is any denying that. They get treated like kings when they travel to the US.

Let's be real. Asia bodies the shit out of the US and EU. That doesn't mean the US or EU can't hang. All it means is that they won't take home the title, and more often then not will not have as many players in top 8. Let's not get into US and EU going to Japan to compete. Shit would be worse.

I like it how Daigo winning EVO 2010 is presented as "only 1 out of 8 Japanese players made it to top 8."

lmfao

When Koukou came to Stunfest for KOF XIII he was quite emotional just because he was competing in a place that wasn't Japan even though he spent the entire week-end bodying people free. He was pretty much thinking of Stunfest as something much more significant than it really was, just because he wasn't playing in his own country.

CO_Andy

Well, after Nagoshi traveled overseas (Monkey Ball & Yakuza director), a Western journalist told him Japanese games were shit. It infuriated him so much that he set out to make a shooter to prove Japan's relevance.

Basically it helps to have a worldwide perspective and not be so insular.

Well, in general, going overseas does that to people. You get to experience a foreign culture. In the case of tournaments, they're no longer playing people they play all the time. There are new people to become friends with. The crowd is different. There is money on the line. Maybe they're treated differently that gives them some more self-worth. I don't think there is any denying that. They get treated like kings when they travel to the US.

Let's be real. Asia bodies the shit out of the US and EU. That doesn't mean the US or EU can't hang. All it means is that they won't take home the title, and more often then not will not have as many players in top 8. Let's not get into US and EU going to Japan to compete. Shit would be worse.

How's their English? I saw Tokido talking with everyone on the MCZ stream and it seemed like he had a pretty competent command on the language. Are they learning English through all of this? Must feel amazing to have your world largened.

Shun

Can understand most speak and read and able to write some at decent level sometimes need translate but most time okay. for higher level and sponsor player. not so much for strong player who is not very sponsored. You kind of have to unless you are the type of person who is ethnocentric enough to not want to.

If you watch sports like soccer or basketball, a lot of international players have to learn different languages to adapt. Shinji Kagawa had to learn English and German at a conversational level. Tony Parker had to learn English and so did Kristaps Porzingis, he had to learn spanish and english as a latvia.

Speaking in general is just hard. Even as an english major I still have trouble speaking with accent.

Can understand most speak and read and able to write some at decent level sometimes need translate but most time okay. for higher level and sponsor player. not so much for strong player who is not very sponsored. You kind of have to unless you are the type of person who is ethnocentric enough to not want to.

If you watch sports like soccer or basketball, a lot of international players have to learn different languages to adapt. Shinji Kagawa had to learn English and German at a conversational level. Tony Parker had to learn English and so did Kristaps Porzingis, he had to learn spanish and english as a latvia.

Speaking in general is just hard. Even as an english major I still have trouble speaking with accent.

You're Japanese right? Want to practice language some time? I could use practice speaking Japanese and don't get much practice. Reading, however, I'm much better at.

.la1n

https://youtu.be/X0wnIG836kY

Today's footage is from VSav. The first part is kinda iffy because I couldn't remove the FPS counter from the client (not visible during replays along with chat footage). I still decided to upload it because there was some good action worth sharing. The next vids won't have that problem (won't stop me from getting sassed on though).

Reminds me how great Capcom's backgrounds and music used to be. It's sad that SF V music and stages in 2016 pale in comparison.

Shun

japanese and cantonese. international student at cal. i would in private. I keep person and my online stuff separate if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom