• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, if a composer is only working on establishing tone, they're failing as a composer and just getting the job done at a minimal level.

Then I think you have a faulty idea of what a composer's job actually is, and what their objectives are.

But you are not alone, since most people don't even think of film composers unless they loudly announce themselves in big melodies like John Williams.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Gaming needs more stuff like THIS.

Fits the tone and the game and its immediately hummable and memorable. Loops easily but not too quickly. Fighting games need to get back into this sort of mentality when it comes to making songs for their games. The second you go to Guile or Ken's stage in SF2 machines you got swept up in the song. The whole hollywood melodic background score is just that...background. It doesn't sweep you up, it just sort of provides a light ambience and fighting games and a lot of other game genres dont need to feel like films. They need an iconic memorable theme more than a background track.

There is a big difference in designing themes and just soundtrack IMO.
Sounds better like this though.
:p

Bizazedo

Okay thats neat. Guy is running Nemesis vs Zero zoning backed by Arthur daggers. Keeps jump shooting Bazooka. 2 hits on Arthur assist and its nearly DEAD from the bazooka.

EDIT: Oh wow! Arthur vs Arthur at the end of a close set!

Kinderparty is so goddamn rusty, this is painful.

Then I think you have a faulty idea of what a composer's job actually is, and what their objectives are.

But you are not alone, since most people don't even think of film composers unless they loudly announce themselves in big melodies like John Williams.

I'm often not big on movie soundtracks. I'll be excited but then I see the movie. M83 doing the ost for Oblivion? Excite! Except the soundtrack kinda is boring. Daft Punk doing the soundtrack for Tron 2? Excite! Except the soundtrack is boring. I like game soundtracks though.

Shun

Who cares about game music. We got 3 weeks.

real friends no more parties in la

pt2r5LN.png

mbpm1

I didn't even click on that thread. People clicking YouTube links to listen to music outside the context of the moment they were created for, and complaining they don't sound like fuckin Chrono Cross or Super Mario Bros, I imagine.

You know the GAF matchup well

I didn't even click on that thread. People clicking YouTube links to listen to music outside the context of the moment they were created for, and complaining they don't sound like fuckin Chrono Cross or Super Mario Bros, I imagine.

Before I click on that link, I'm gonna assume they're doing the Dark Schala-maligned tactic of posting links with no explanation as to why they like them?

xCobalt

Depends on the games you play. For some genres, like RPGs, at one point in time, the music was how the game conveyed emotion because the graphics weren't there yet and the music was integral to the experience.

In that situation, I would say music just sets the tone. If they wanted to convey emotion, dialogue should be the most important tool especially if it's an RPG.

ShinMaruku

I think MJ looking into the future when he made Remember the time and had the line "Thot,thot,thot, double thot" and he saw Blazblue and SFV and dubbed those game to have thots. :E

.la1n

Destiny had a good soundtrack. I love this track from The Taken King, especially once it gets to 1 minute in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPTHTFezIrE

Killer Instinct had an amazing soundtrack. i.e., do not agree.

Thanks for this, that is a damn good track. My personal complaints are with fighting game soundtracks though, I have heard lots of good stuff from other genres.

Killer Instinct does have some pretty great tracks so it's nice to see them buck the trend.

petghost

Banned
Jp game music is closer to pop or rock so that's why you see lots of folks identify with it in that way. Western game music is inspired more by actual film scoring.

So when people complain about western music not having recognizable melody or something it's usually just down to the fact that the game music they prefer is in a package they understand better.

This was the most fun Ono/Harada interview I've ever read.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/01/22/onoharada/
Sayah and I agree on something! Great interview, and, really should get its own thread for some tidbits in there about T7 and SFV.

Jp game music is closer to pop or rock so that's why you see lots of folks identify with it in that way. Western game music is inspired more by actual film scoring.

So when people complain about western music not having recognizable melody or something it's usually just down to the fact that the game music they prefer is in a package they understand better.
Just like how many western games are more inspired by films than games.

shaowebb

Any of yall play music? That's my primary thing over fgs.

I know bohe makes beats.

I play saxophone and electric Dulcimer. No joke on that last one. I actually may have the most powerful one on earth. I had a custom made solid red mahogany body dulcimer made with a dimebucker bridge pickup and an Invader neck pickup. Its resistance spread is insanely wide allowing for super chunky stuff as well as clean tones and mids and since a Dulcimer has a lot more wood than a guitar I got sustain on a single note of near 20 minutes (not joking there either).

I use a POD 2.0 and a Line 6 Spider 3 amp...and I am nowhere near as good as my gear lol.

This is what NORMAL dulcimers look like.
YSD1tP2.jpg

This is me with my custom body design Tom Yocky "Flying Phoenix" electric Dulcimer.

For good measure here is a stock image of my sax...black jupiter alto model.
CYhTeQt.jpg

I hope to eventually go in on an Akai EWI which is an electronic wind instrument with loop banks and a pitch bend wheel and a shitload of midis on a sound bank. Basically any sound a keyboard can make that Akai EWI could make. Fucking great stuff for game music covers and techno shit.

The things you learn after a decade of giving up TV. Im not talented enough to write my own game tracks sadly. I just play for fun.

shaowebb

Honestly, I have no idea what is the best genre of music for a fighting game. Symphonic Metal like Guilty Gear? Heavy assed Dubstep and guitar stuff like KI? Background Jazz like MVC2 and Skullgirls? Individual tracks of varying genres that cut in and out per character like MVC3? Final Fantasy style battle music tracks with a mix of piano, guitar rock and looped melodies? Ambient forgettable shit like Injustice?

Okay that last one I know is trash, because it leaves no lasting impression or identity with the players but the rest...no clue. I know what I like, but Im uncertain what excites players the most.

FACE

Banned
Honestly, I have no idea what is the best genre of music for a fighting game. Symphonic Metal like Guilty Gear? Heavy assed Dubstep and guitar stuff like KI? Background Jazz like MVC2 and Skullgirls? Individual tracks of varying genres that cut in and out per character like MVC3? Final Fantasy style battle music tracks with a mix of piano, guitar rock and looped melodies? Ambient forgettable shit like Injustice?

Okay that last one I know is trash, because it leaves no lasting impression or identity with the players but the rest...no clue. I know what I like, but Im uncertain what excites players the most.

The one true answer

Sayah

Music that pumps me up.

And that's Tekken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgrdlLpFEEM#t=47s

That song gets annoying after awhile of hearing the same phrase repeated in your head ad nauseam.

Mizerman

For me, it depends on the music itself in fighting games. Sometimes it sticks to me (for better or worse), other times it's forgettable to the point where I can just ignore its existence.

I want this dude who I just played with bopped. There's 3S on the tv next to us and dude keeps looking at it and it feels so insulting and I want to murder him in this game.

Kalamari

I think it depends. Background music should suit the mood that the developer wants to create for the player, it should ameliorate rather than distract from the atmosphere.

CO_Andy

lol at Evilore throwing Cliffy B under the bus while tossing in a SF reference.

...I'm pretty sure Cliff's vitriol for NeoGAF somehow outweighs my passion for creating, owning, and running it. That's curious. Maybe go outside?

To Cliff, NeoGAF seems to be this all-encompassing Sauron-like entity of communal video game villainy that consumes this thoughts and social media posts and is perhaps inextricably bound to his ego within a toxic mountain of salt. To me, it's Tuesday.

jerry1594

I want this dude who I just played with bopped. There's 3S on the tv next to us and dude keeps looking at it and it feels so insulting and I want to murder him in this game.
Sounds like he's just way better. Gotta hold that shit until you can match him. At least he's not messing with you deliberately.

Sayah

shaowebb

Thank you so much!

The rest will hopefully be put up later, but all weekend the TVC scene will be streaming from the venue off and on. The top players will all be hanging out in the hotel with their own setup and I'll post links as they appear all weekend. Given that crowd has Kbeast, MagnomanX, Tronzilla and maybe they might get Yoshi or Dr Science to pop by...it'll be good shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom