• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
japanese and cantonese. international student at cal. i would in private. I keep person and my online stuff separate if possible.

So do I.

I'd like to do it in private.

You're in California? Oh. I was thinking you were in Japan and I was hoping that both of us could speak English and Japanese to help our conversational level of our target languages. But you're already in a place where English is in abundance so it feels pointless. :p

Shun

we are here for university. I was back for 3 weeks to visit family with my girlfriend since it has been almost 2 years.

Yessss Gundam EXVS Maxi Boost On is getting a new set of loketests before it launches in march.

too bad I'm gone and all of the loketests are too far even if i was back.

we are here for university. I was back for 3 weeks to visit family with my girlfriend since it has been almost 2 years.

Ah. I wouldn't want it to be so one-sided then and I don't want to feel like I'm using you to help get better at speaking Japanese.

I want to be on top of my game when I go to Japan in 2017. It'll be my first time, and I'm hoping to know 4000 kanji by then, but I'd also like to speak the language in a more comfortable manner as well.

Bizazedo

Oh my god, that is horrible.

I love it.

Sounds like what his theme should be in Marvel, though. Never forget.

hqdefault.jpg

That is awful. I don't think they are even capable of doing any good music anymore unless it's a rehash of an already iconic theme. Even then they usually screw it up. Music is overlooked too often in fighting games nowadays. Hell NRS does it's best to make it not exist at all.

True. A lot of the classic composers have moved on. While I agree with you, I love that theme. I wish they'd create new iconic themes but it's not here or there.

Game music in general isn't what it used to be. It's rare I hear a soundtrack that sticks with me these days.

shaowebb

True. A lot of the classic composers have moved on. While I agree with you, I love that theme. I wish they'd create new iconic themes but it's not here or there.

Game music in general isn't what it used to be. It's rare I hear a soundtrack that sticks with me these days.

Same. I only felt the tingle when I played Freedom Planet and Undertale when it came to music. Just not a lot of solid memorable tunes these days. Most we get is weird stuff hoping to turn into a meme on the "so bad its good" vibes. There are some amazing musical talents though working on the Ys series though.

Bizazedo

Destiny had a good soundtrack. I love this track from The Taken King, especially once it gets to 1 minute in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPTHTFezIrE

Killer Instinct had an amazing soundtrack. i.e., do not agree.

CPS2

If Japan is supposed to be the best how come going overseas gives new motivation and enthusiasm? People act like USA and EU ain't shit compared to Japan, but if we ain't shit, how does it give them new perspective or motivation?
I think because SBO used to be way bigger and had better production values than Evo, and that was really the main tournament, and seeing that flip around more recently, would demotivate Japanese players to an extent unless they travel.

Skab

Street Fighter V's music is really hit and miss with me. I enjoy the China stage music, especially round 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpaYntWQkmQ

I don't agree with that at all. Not when there are sound tracks like The Last of Us or Killer Instincts first two seasons out there.

I love it.

Sounds like what his theme should be in Marvel, though. Never forget.

hqdefault.jpg
It sounds like generic techno to me.

I wouldn't mind if Bison had appeared in Marvel 3 as his "Final Bison" incarnation. Just go crazy with it.
Actually, now that you mention it, I think M. Bison is the perfect Phoenix replacement in a Capcom All-Stars:

1) He has a teleport.
2) He can already fly.
3) EX Psycho Blast = TK Shot
4) Psycho Crusher = TK Overdrive
5) Psycho energy flares could work for feathers.

Now I want an XF3 Bison anchor...

Nina feels like the natural Dormammu replacement option. I don't think Capcom has a lot of great spellcaster options.

Destiny had a good soundtrack. I love this track from The Taken King, especially once it gets to 1 minute in.

KI is amazing. I had a low opinion of it before folks here corrected my error.

Mick Gordon win streak gon come to an end if that over-produced trash metal theme he did for Doom is any indication

we'll always have Wolfenstein: The New Order tho

Mizerman

Actually, now that you mention it, I think M. Bison is the perfect Phoenix replacement in a Capcom All-Stars:

1) He has a teleport.
2) He can already fly.
3) EX Psycho Blast = TK Shot
4) Psycho Crusher = TK Overdrive
5) Psycho energy flares could work for feathers.

Now I want an XF3 Bison anchor...

Nina feels like the natural Dormammu replacement option. I don't think Capcom has a lot of great spellcaster options.

Dammit, now I really want a Capcom vs. Capcom game. An actual one, at that.

Marz

Tessa from Warzard would be perfect for that.

I think youre kind of making up this "spellcaster" archtype that doesnt actually exist. Dormammu is pretty unique in that regard and hes the "replacement" in the vs. Series for Blackheart who doesnt really play like him.

Capcom isnt going to prioritize making another dormammu, they'd just insert a character with a similar villian aesthetic.

shaowebb

Ya know I totally forgot the KI soundtrack. The Glacius and Spinal themes still give me chills great stuff there. Very fitting for the tone of the game is the best part.

This is the exact thing I'm talking about. Technically sound music but it doesn't make for good game music imo.

Too much game music these days tries to be epic, sweeping, Hollywood esque music, when what made game music so good in the past were simplistic melodies and loops.

I think that song sucks, no offense.

Street Fighter V's music is really hit and miss with me. I enjoy the China stage music, especially round 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpaYntWQkmQ

This is DOPE.

simplistic melodies and loops would sound totally out of place with Destiny. That track fits the tone they're going for.

IDK, I feel like so much of gamers idea of "good" video game music is tied up in 90s japanese games they played when they were younger, and anything that doesn't sound like Undertale or Shovel Knight or Tropical Freeze is trash.

SFV music is trash for the most part, but that's another topic

Tessa from Warzard would be perfect for that.

I think youre kind of making up this "spellcaster" archtype that doesnt actually exist. Dormammu is pretty unique in that regard and hes the "replacement" in the vs. Series for Blackheart who doesnt really play like him.

Capcom isnt going to prioritize making another dormammu, they'd just insert a character with a similar villian aesthetic.
I think it is a new archetype that is becoming more popular. Nine has a mechanic very similar to Dormammu. New archetypes do come along in fighting games. Once upon a time, the first puppet character was created (was Zato first?). In MvC, Sentinel created the hover flight archetype, which eventually extended to Painwheel, Merkava, and most recently, Hades Izanami.

I agree that Dormammu plays nothing like Blackheart. This is an archetype I would like to see more of, and I think Nina is the perfect fit for it.

I think Capcom could go two ways with the game: try to replace Marvel archetypes with CapCom characters, or ignore those archetypes entirely. I think they would need to embrace the replacement strategy, as you need a Magneto replacement to build fan base hype.

Aside from Nina and Bison, I am not sure who else could even prospectively tridash on Capcom's side.

Dammit, now I really want a Capcom vs. Capcom game. An actual one, at that.
Rathalos replaces Sentinel.

simplistic melodies and loops would sound totally out of place with Destiny. That track fits the tone they're going for.

IDK, I feel like so much of gamers idea of "good" video game music is tied up in 90s japanese games they played when they were younger, and anything that doesn't sound like Undertale or Shovel Knight or Tropical Freeze is trash.

SFV music is trash for the most part, but that's another topic

Naw. I can appreciate a lot of good styles. But I don't think that style of music is good for a video game. My game music tastes varies from Shenmue to Jet Set Radio to Doom. Shenmue has an orchestrated soundtrack, but it fits the game and is still memorable. Final Fantasy XII has a memorable soundtrack despite the more cinematic instrumentation. But the epic sweeping Hollywood soundtrack does nothing for me. It's no coincidence I don't like most movie soundtracks either. Game music can be more than chiptunes but that song he posted was just boring to me.

Video game music has never appealed to me. They just end up being background noise for me.

Depends on the games you play. For some genres, like RPGs, at one point in time, the music was how the game conveyed emotion because the graphics weren't there yet and the music was integral to the experience.

shaowebb

This is the exact thing I'm talking about. Technically sound music but it doesn't make for good game music imo.

Too much game music these days tries to be epic, sweeping, Hollywood esque music, when what made game music so good in the past were simplistic melodies and loops.

I think that song sucks, no offense.

This is DOPE.

Gaming needs more stuff like THIS.

Fits the tone and the game and its immediately hummable and memorable. Loops easily but not too quickly. Fighting games need to get back into this sort of mentality when it comes to making songs for their games. The second you go to Guile or Ken's stage in SF2 machines you got swept up in the song. The whole hollywood melodic background score is just that...background. It doesn't sweep you up, it just sort of provides a light ambience and fighting games and a lot of other game genres dont need to feel like films. They need an iconic memorable theme more than a background track.

There is a big difference in designing themes and just soundtrack IMO.

Yeah, more 90s throwbacks, thats what gaming needs more of. Not enough of that these days.

I guess it helps that I don't judge how good game music but how "memorable" it is. I couldn't tell you a track from the Witcher 3 or Bloodborne off the top of my head. I can't hum you a melody. But in the context, it was quite effective in establishing the tone, the pacing, the structure of the sequence. Which is the main function.

Perro

I regulary mute videogames to listen to my own stuff anyway, can't do that in FGs tho I need that beep to know my opponent is ready.

I want to do one a week before SFV's release, but I'm not interested in doing a regular tournament. I want to do a random select(with Edition Select) tourney like how I did one time before SFxT's release if anybody remembers that. I just feel like we already know who can beat who's ass in this game so I wanted to make it more random by literally using random. Maybe Blackule beats me 7 times out of 10 if we play our normal characters. But if I get my main while he gets someone he doesn't know how to play like Guy or Hakan then I have the upper hand. The better player still wins normally, but their is still a chance under the right circumstances.

I want to do a PC and PS4 tourney with the prize being Season Pass for both winners. With the Steam version I'll gift it to you, with the PS4 version I'll instead have to buy a digital code worth 30$ and message it. I know I could just do something else like PayPal but the emphasis is to reward a season pass to someone who plans on buying SFV and is going to use the season pass. Of course whoever wins the PS4 version can do whatever they want with the $30 PSN gift card, I won't mind. But I'm still going to force that person to do some extra work to get something else out of it or only buy PS4 content :p

I want to get at least 8 players per system. If that happens then I'll run it for sure. It has to be on a Friday or Saturday though and you can only enter one even if you have the game on both platforms.

sign me up son!

shaowebb

http://www.twitch.tv/expgamingil

Weird as shit Marvel teams in tonights exhibitions folks.

Just saw Thor/Shuma/Dorm vs Thor whatever
...and now we got a Haggar/Ghost Rider/Arthur team and folks talking bout Iron Fist.

EDIT: Yo Haggar ran it back and died to Dark Arthur! Frosty Faustings Exhibitions are more fun the marvel tournies. So many experimental teams thrown around.

Yeah, more 90s throwbacks, thats what gaming needs more of. Not enough of that these days.

I guess it helps that I don't judge how good game music but how "memorable" it is. I couldn't tell you a track from the Witcher 3 or Bloodborne off the top of my head. I can't hum you a melody. But in the context, it was quite effective in establishing the tone, the pacing, the structure of the sequence. Which is the main function.

klqOCuG.jpg

Skyrim, despite having an ambient soundtrack, has highly melodic, memorable themes and music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGp5kjHNhJY

IMO, if a composer is only working on establishing tone, they're failing as a composer and just getting the job done at a minimal level.

And then there's John Williams, who can nail tone, theme, and melody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hg-sWWmIVY

shaowebb

Okay thats neat. Guy is running Nemesis vs Zero zoning backed by Arthur daggers. Keeps jump shooting Bazooka. 2 hits on Arthur assist and its nearly DEAD from the bazooka.

EDIT: Oh wow! Arthur vs Arthur at the end of a close set!

Video game music has never appealed to me. They just end up being background noise for me.

Indestructible though

During Super, there were a lot of Japanese players taking it seriously. I'll list the names. Daigo, Tokido, Mago, Momochi, Sako, Uryo, YHC Mochi, Kindevu, and a couple of other players. If anything, the arcade was losing players to console SSF4 during this period. Online Gods Garden wouldn't be possible without those players.

The thing is, only Daigo was sponsored during Super. The rest of them weren't and they weren't used to traveling overseas. As Nemo said in the past, traveling overseas to compete gives players a new perspective on competing. He said that his motivation and enthusiasm went up after going overseas. That's why he was chipping in money to get some of the Japanese players to compete overseas through the Kappa sponsorships.

edit: I will add that after EVO 2010, the Japanese started to view EVO as bigger than how they used to view it. The combination of the crowd and the amount of viewers changed that perception.
Exactly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom