• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

I'll watch for you, BB.

Thanks. They are STILL setting up the stream. Its a little late, but they are saying since nothing else is scheduled that we may get to see them just run exhibitions after the tourney finishes which could get wild given the talent at this event. I know they will play and side stream throughout the weekend so I'm hoping for good stuff to share.

EDIT: ITS LIVE! Get in here!

http://www.twitch.tv/expgamingil

Sounds like he's just way better. Gotta hold that shit until you can match him. At least he's not messing with you deliberately.

No it's more than that. Most realize that I am better than I come off but can't realize it because I'm not using my main control method and play me respectfully. They respect me because I keep coming and can beat people not on my main controller. I fought better players tonight and beat some of them and they didn't act like they didn't want me there or that I had no business being there. He just acted like a jerk. When I asked his name he pretended like he didn't hear me. Over all his behavior made me very emotional and had to put a lot of effort into hiding it. Thankfully a guy noticed how I was feeling and asked me if it was my first time here, I said it wasn't and that it was my 5th time coming even though I can only ever use a stick there and not my pad. He tried to convince me to not take the guys behavior too badly and to keep coming so I can beat him.

I saw a guy with a RAP4 tonight. It was modded white and it looked really sleek. I put it on my lap and it's definitely lighter than the TE but it's not a bad light. It seems comfortable. He replaced the buttons with Sanwa. I liked it.

petghost

Banned
I just think the kind of general footsie game in 3s is already something they followed up on in 4. Like whiff punishment etc. It's not a new thing I guess. I dno.

3s style footsies have become sf footsies I think in my mind at least

shaowebb

This TvC custom soundtrack though

Lol. Yeah someone has been editting custom soundtracks on their wii. Thriller and Jet Set Radio is sweet though :D

EDIT: Yooooooooo...that Megaman was doing short hop shots so fast it looked like Fox or Falco bullet hell!

Lol. Yeah someone has been editting custom soundtracks on their wii. Thriller and Jet Set Radio is sweet though :D

EDIT: Yooooooooo...that Megaman was doing short hop shots so fast it looked like Fox or Falco bullet hell!

I need to figure out how to set up the custom soundtracks. Do you know how to do it or somewhere I can find a tutorial?

Nightii

Banned
So you prefer schmaltzy shit is what you're saying

I guess? I could go on a long paragraph ode to catchy video game music if you want to, complete with exclamation marks, caps and every single positive adjective that I know!

I have no issue with my tastes "holding the medium back". :p

vulva

vulva hates something else game related, news at 11

Not caring about video game music isn't hating it. Believe it or not some people just don't really register background music as something of importance, thus it means very little to them. I'm not saying I hate video game music, that's absurd. That's like hating movie scores as a concept.

jerry1594

No it's more than that. Most realize that I am better than I come off but can't realize it because I'm not using my main control method and play me respectfully. They respect me because I keep coming and can beat people not on my main controller. I fought better players tonight and beat some of them and they didn't act like they didn't want me there or that I had no business being there. He just acted like a jerk. When I asked his name he pretended like he didn't hear me. Over all his behavior made me very emotional and had to put a lot of effort into hiding it. Thankfully a guy noticed how I was feeling and asked me if it was my first time here, I said it wasn't and that it was my 5th time coming even though I can only ever use a stick there and not my pad. He tried to convince me to not take the guys behavior too badly and to keep coming so I can beat him.

I saw a guy with a RAP4 tonight. It was modded white and it looked really sleek. I put it on my lap and it's definitely lighter than the TE but it's not a bad light. It seems comfortable. He replaced the buttons with Sanwa. I liked it.
Oh I see so he was being an intentional dick. Well sorry to hear that. Good minset and definitely recommend the RAP4.

I've decided to go with BJJ because of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MEGIh6123E

Googling "Why should I do BJJ?" and this video popped up. I post it only because of how if you replace "jiu jitsu" with "fighting games" it's a pretty apt comparison. I embrace the challenge.

There's also this:

http://www.expertinayear.com/first-month-bjj/

For some reason this reminds me of the MMA guy that learned how to put people in the hospital by playing Tekken.

Sayad

I've been saying it's 3s without parries since beta 1.

This has to be my absolute favorite track in Tekken 7. SOOOO f*****g good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg-N-ek4oH8
Love this track, it's the kind of sound you want to hear when you walk into an arcade. ;p

Though it's weird how much I've heard and got used to this track yet the game doesn't even have a release date.

Rajang

Very cool interview with Harada and Ono on how they met, the future of fighting games, the stories of SF and Tekken and much more.

I quoted the best bits:

Interviewer: How did you two first learn of each other?

Harada:
I’d seen his name on a Megaman CD, but the first time I was able to put a face to his name was a Tokyo Game Show around 2000, I think. Around when Onimusha: Warlords came out? And he did the music for Street Fighter III?

Ono: I was the sound management director for Street Fighter III, yup.

Harada:
I always had a mental image of you as a music person. But before I knew it, you were a producer.

Ono: I was working as the sound producer and the sound effects supervisor on Street Fighter III at the same time Then I worked on Onimusha. After that, I switched to being a producer. I first saw Mr. Harada in a magazine. I remember thinking, “Wow, the person who makes Tekken is a scary-looking guy.” (laughs)

Harada: We both wanted to try a collaboration, all the way back then.

Ono:
We would both get interviewed, and we’d both talk about wanting to collaborate with the other (laughs).

Harada:
In the end, Mr. Ono brought up the idea to actually do it.

53a11e1642061787a5703eae059a733b.png

The surprise appearance of Akuma! And the scrupulous preparations needed

Interviewer:
The other day, it was revealed that Akuma would appear in Tekken 7: Fated Retribution.

Harada:
That was a reveal we’d been cooking up for some time. I’d conveyed the idea to Mr. Ono around four years ago, and we’d been working on it slowly. We actually had Akuma’s silhouette appear in the opening movie of Tekken 7. But, it was hard to make sure his identity wasn’t leaked.

Ono: Getting the timing down for big character reveals for fighting games is really important.

Harada: You need to make sure that reveals don’t overlap, and eat into each other’s popularity. A recent example would be for Street Fighter V, there’s the Middle Eastern character, Rashid, but Mr. Ono actually told us ahead of time “we’ve made this kind of character.”

Ono:
In Tekken 7, there’s a Middle Eastern character named Shaheen, so I made sure to ask, “we’re not overlapping, right?”

Harada: Fighting games are getting popular in the Middle East, so we were talking about how it would be good if we could include a character that would get them to be even more passionate about fighting games. So, even though you personally talked to me and cleared things up beforehand, I saw in a foreign interview that you said “we copied Rashid from Tekken 7!” and a lot of fans were asking me “are you okay with that?” (laughs)

Ono:
I was obviously joking, but it’s those parts of interviews that seem to just take on a life of their own (laughs).

Interviewer:
(laughs) I was wondering if Akuma’s appearance used resources from the development of Tekken X Street Fighter.

Harada:
Ah, that’s not the case for Akuma. SFxT had a bigger impact on newer fans than fans of the respective parent games. But if I were to have Akuma in a serious fight, a battle that Tekken and Street Fighter fans want to see, then I thought “I can’t have it happen in a spinoff.” For Street Fighter and Tekken to truly face off, I needed the appropriate structure, and because there’s a lot of focus and attention paid to Tekken’s story, I wanted to incorporate it there. Tekken 7’s Kazumi Mishima was actually created in 1995, although at that stage all we had was her name with Heihachi’s under the aiaigasa1, and we picked up that plot point 20 years later. Although to be honest, the aiaigasa was something the designer at the time just felt like putting in (laughs). One of the links to this backstory was that in the past, Kazumi Mishima had some sort of connection to a mysterious man. And thus, there was a part of Akuma’s story that hadn’t been told even in Street Fighter.

An intense battle unfurls

Ono:
Wait, wait. Mr. Harada is saying it in his way, but really, we were at a bar and you definitely said “Street Fighter almost doesn’t really have a story, so it’s fine.” (laughs)

Harada:
He says there’s a reason behind everything (laughs). On the Tekken team, we play all sorts of fighting games, and Street Fighter is so popular we even enacted a company-wide ban on it at one point. We just simply love Street Fighter. But, because we love it, we just can’t tolerate the haphazardness of its story (laughs).

Ono: Aah (laughs bitterly)

Harada:
For example, the story of Ryu and Ken’s master, Gouken. He was killed by Akuma, and I thought that was a very intense story, but he’s back in SFIV, and I wondered “Why!? How!?” And it turns out, “he was just sleeping.” Are you kidding me? (laughs) There had to be another way to do it. I’m sure there will be people out there who see Akuma getting involved in Tekken’s story and think, “Why would you do that?” but for me, Street Fighter is the root of all fighting games, and I think having a point of connection to that is wonderful. I don’t think the shock of seeing Akuma in Tekken is something you experience often. We didn’t want Akuma to simply be a “guest character.” He should be a full-fledged “enemy.” In the same way that every character in Tekken has a burden to bear, we wanted Akuma have some sort of absolute reason to fight. That’s why I wanted to show Akuma’s cool side, the parts that you wouldn’t be able to show off in Street Fighter. The development team, we’re all fans of the original, so we made it with the feelings of “this is what would if we tried to seriously make something in the world of Street Fighter. Akuma’s trailer was cool, wasn’t it?

Ono: It was super cool! Akuma’s appearance is something we just had to wait and wait and wait on. And I thought, “Oh, you introduced him this way.” But, let me say one thing. We’re putting a lot of effort into SFV’s story. In a Street Fighter way (laughs).

Harada: The one thing I feel like we did that caused you a lot of trouble was that Akuma hasn’t appeared in SFV, as of now. So fans thought, “Akuma’s not appearing in SFV because he’s appearing in Tekken 7.” I’m just going to use this opportunity to say, that’s not necessarily the case!

Ono: We considered, among other things, character variation when creating and choosing the roster for SFV, and Akuma isn’t among the DLC characters that will be added to the game later in 2016. But we might as well just keep saying “right now the Tekken guys are using him” (laughs).

Harada: We got a lot of positive feedback from the fans, so I’d like to show more of this battle between these two worlds. From our viewpoint, we also think that we could make Ryu look cooler.

Ono: Compared to how we write for Ryu, where we just have him say “I came to fight against even stronger opponents,” having someone else write a proper story for him sounds very exciting and I look forward to it.

Harada:
A collaboration where we cover for our weaknesses while capitalizing on our strengths. It would be nice to be able to make another game like that with Capcom at some point.

0fd7a828aa9d7cdb1672d249da818792.png

Everyone can play: the future of fighting games

Interviewer:
Both Street Fighter and Tekken host tournaments for prize money, but how do you feel about the rise in popularity of pro gaming?

Ono:
One of my goals for fighting games is for professional players to exist, but I think that if you focus solely on that then it becomes too core-oriented. I think having winning tournaments as one of the goals for the player is a good thing, but if the scene becomes just about high level tournaments, then the only fun in that for the other players becomes in spectating. So I think it would be good to have parts that everyone can partake in and have fun with.

Harada: Concerning tournaments, my thoughts are basically aligned with Mr. Ono’s.

Ono: If I were to make a sports analogy, you can’t just host tournaments at the National Olympic Stadium, you need to host tournaments at local venues that everyone can go to as well, otherwise you limit the number of people who can participate. So I want to make sure we keep the doors open. Also, at tournaments, everyone who wants to watch it live gathers around, but even if you’re at the venue, you’re looking at a screen. And depending on where you’re sitting, it can be hard to see. So I think it would be great if everyone could sit on the floor, put on a VR headset, and watch the fight from the first row (laughs).

Harada:
I also think that VR could be used in spectating, so I want to do something like that in Tekken 7.

032b6c55c684a4beec8624d50f9dccd8.png

sourcegaming

.la1n

Harada going in on Street Fighter's story, haha. Ono mentions taking story seriously in SF V again so maybe it will be a step up from the past.

Dahbomb, you were wrong about one thing: I'm on a 4 win streak in ranked. :p

Are the gains exponential?

More wins = more rewards. 3-3 run averages 50 gold and a pack, 7-3 run averages 150 gold and a pack (make all your entry fee back), 12 win (maximum) run could get you a lot of gold, two packs, golden cards (they have animations and are shiny, but worth more disenchant value than regular cards). Stuff like that.

good stuff! i seen jay's sas before its quite scary. i got blown up by this dude krakhans fish yesterday. absolutely obliterated. like these dudes who play at high level stagger their pressure so dudes who suck like me get opened up trying to tech hit (poorly) or GC them to keep them off. from the bottom and playing dudes like that this game seems so steep!
My last fights with Fish were rated M. He can be really annoying to fight. It's still a better fight than Morrigan, Lilith, Q Bee or BB Hood, though. Some moves whiff on them while they crouch which makes fighting them with Hsien-Ko a pain in the ass.
Reminds me how great Capcom's backgrounds and music used to be. It's sad that SF V music and stages in 2016 pale in comparison.
Most SFIV music pales in comparison. SFV is just continuing the trend. MvC3 was okay to good. Music hasn't been their strong suit for a while now.

pixelish

Dahbomb, you were wrong about one thing: I'm on a 4 win streak in ranked. :p

Edit: What's the point of gold-bordered cards?

Are the gains exponential?
yes, if i'm not mistaken winning 3-5 games will net you a pack and around 50 gold or dust and when you're winning at least 6 games, you will get more gold (at least 150 gold), dusts and packs.

and gold bordered cards give you more dusts when you disenchant them.

.la1n

Most SFIV music pales in comparison. SFV is just continuing the trend. MvC3 was okay to good. Music hasn't been their strong suit for a while now.

Absolutely. I guess I'm just bummed that SF V wasn't seen as an opportunity to remedy that. The backgrounds are also very uninspired and boring. MvC 3 had some great backgrounds so I know they got it in them. Entirely different team from what I understand?

No way. First of all character's normals have way more range and are in general safer. Second lots of characters in 3S have very shallow jump arcs and have a super jump option. There is also no CH state on backdashes and the walk speeds are faster. Also it's kind of a dumb thing to say because parry is a huge part of the mind games of 3S footsies.

pixelish

wow fgcnn is back with an exposé on jwong and the early access salt written by u̶l̶t̶r̶a̶d̶a̶v̶i̶d̶ ̶ scoop newsman
http://www.fgcnn.com/2016/01/justin-wong-launches-banthepirates.html

When this FGCNN reporter asked if he would download a Pizza, Mr. Wong enthusiastically replied, “Are you kidding me? Of course I would!”. Mr. Nguyen was unavailable for comment, as he was busy continuing to train on his pirated copy of the game and counting the $30 he won at a tournament that no one will remember a month from now. A spokesperson from Capcom refused comment, and was later seen delivering what appeared to be a Playstation 4 development console to a home in the Hillsdale neighborhood of San Mateo, California.

NEO0MJ

Absolutely. I guess I'm just bummed that SF V wasn't seen as an opportunity to remedy that. The backgrounds are also very uninspired and boring. MvC 3 had some great backgrounds so I know they got it in them. Entirely different team from what I understand?

While the games were developed by different teams, they apparently have the same composer.

JC gone, Yams gone, WrassleGAF gone, yet I remain. The sole survivor.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH AND IT'S TIME FOR A CHANGE

No one cares about you, Owen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom