• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightii

Banned
SG > KI > MKX > DK for me.

SG is far above the others for me (reminder that I'm weird and prefer to play the game 1v1), KI is pretty damn good though. MK is fine, but it's just....eh at this point for me, and DK is just a fun diversion with friends now.

Windows 10 fucked with the colors on my display a lot, but after fixing it, it's been much better.
Hopefully I won't have to deal with such an issue on my laptop.
Yeah. I feel that a good number of multiplayer games die because they weren't on Steam, chief among them Titanfall. I loved that game but numbers started to dwindle later.

At least with this game we have crossplay, though.
Crossplay will be the next big step after rollback netcode becomes ubiquitous. Can't wait for the day when people are separated less and less by platforms.
The music in Xrd is lacking compared to Ishiwatari's past work, in spite of having a reasonable amount of exceptions, but his work on BlazBlue is easily better than the vast majority of other fighters on the market (the inferior Galneryus remixes being the only strike against its music). Would be nice if every fighting game soundtrack could "disappoint" like that.
I'd judge, but I've listened to very little of Xrd's music. All I know is that May's new theme still rocks my socks off.

The music in Xrd is lacking compared to Ishiwatari's past work, in spite of having a reasonable amount of exceptions, but his work on BlazBlue is easily better than the vast majority of other fighters on the market (the inferior Galneryus remixes being the only strike against its music). Would be nice if every fighting game soundtrack could "disappoint" like that.

So Galneryus is the one who did the BBCP remixes? I don't really mind them but I'd easily put the original themes above the remixes.

Astarte

Show your interest, says Capcom's Ono

At one point a few years ago, it seemed as though Capcom might make a new Darkstalkers game. Unfortunately, that didn't come to pass. After years of teasing fans, the company decided to test the waters with Darkstalkers Resurrection, a remastered bundle of older games in the series.

It didn't sell well -- not well enough to convince Capcom to allocate the resources necessary to develop a sequel, anyway -- essentially spelling the end of Darkstalkers for the foreseeable future.

Of course, Capcom has other fighting game franchises waiting in the wings for a new entry.

"People are asking for new Rival Schools or Capcom vs. SNK 3 and these people have a very loud voice," Capcom producer Yoshinori Ono said in a recent interview with Playboy.

Referencing Darkstalkers, Ono said he "would do the exact same thing again to gauge interest to see whether or not people actually care. “Are they passionate? Do they really want a new title? At the end of the day, we want to make sure we have a robust community."

While Ono and Capcom secretly "believed that a silent majority wanted a Darkstalkers sequel," Resurrection's poor sales discouraged further investment in the property. It seems if and when the company decides to revive some of its older, more niche titles in the future, fans will be held hostage and goaded to purchase these titles once again if they hope to ever see a sequel.

This isn't exactly the best way to gauge interest, of course, but it's far from an uncommon practice in this industry. Among other notable examples of this, nearly five years ago, a producer at Ubisoft attempted to persuade people to buy Beyond Good & Evil HD by dangling the long-awaited sequel as a prize. Sadly, it's half a decade later and there's still been no movement on that front.

Publishers want consumers to vote with their wallets, but who knows if it will ever pay off for us.
Gj5J4TW.gif

This fills me with hope and despair

shaowebb

Storms vs Pig of the Hut was pretty crazy. Glad I showed up for this again this year even if PC version killed my ability to play happily. I really dig the 3 styles thing in general. Lets people keep their fundamentals on a character but change tactics out there dramatically. So many people turn it around using style changes and its always exciting to see one made in a tourney.

The Light

Storms vs Pig of the Hut was pretty crazy. Glad I showed up for this again this year even if PC version killed my ability to play happily. I really dig the 3 styles thing in general. Lets people keep their fundamentals on a character but change tactics out there dramatically. So many people turn it around using style changes and its always exciting to see one made in a tourney.

Pig has to be pissed for giving that up.

shaowebb

nobody cares about darkstalkers or rival schools, just do capcom all stars and put morrigan, bbhood and demitri in.

Hey I like both those series...but yeah I doubt Rival Schools would excite the market. Darkstalkers might though. It's aesthetic is loud as hell and it has potential to draw attention to itself easily.

Personally I kept wanting to see Phobos return in a crossover title. He's sorta the Sentinel of that game and he's very cool to watch.

.la1n

fuck this

Seriously. I wanted a new Darkstalkers but gauging interest with a collection of old games is stupidity of an extreme order. If they are trying to say that I have to buy "HD" ports of CvSNK or Rival Schools to ensure their future then fuck you Capcom.

Imagine if Microsoft had sold KI 1&2 HD ports as a way of testing waters for a new KI. All that money they'd have missed out on because "welp I guess people don't want it they didn't buy our shitty ports."

This fills me with hope and despair

Honestly makes sense. But people would actually have you believe Mega Man Legends 3 would've sold well.
Seriously. I wanted a new Darkstalkers but gauging interest with a collection of old games is stupidity of an extreme order. If they are trying to say that I have to buy "HD" ports of CvSNK or Rival Schools to ensure their future then fuck you Capcom.

Imagine if Microsoft had sold KI 1&2 HD ports as a way of testing waters for a new KI. All that money they'd have missed out on because "welp I guess people don't want it they didn't buy our shitty ports."

KI was also free, but let's go ahead and forget that.

Marz

Darkstalkers will be back eventually.

Capcom made 4 fighting games last gen:

SF4, MvC3, SFxT, and TvC

Marvel aint happening, Tatsunoko aint happening nor would it be worth the budget.

So we're looking at SF5 and some sort of Capcom all stars game.

I dont see Capcom only making 2 fighting games.

.la1n

KI was also free, but let's go ahead and forget that.

Maybe I didn't present that part of my argument well. KI already had the development dollars dumped into it before it ever hit the marketplace as free. The damage was done at that point. It wasn't really to gauge interest as the product was finished.

Now if your saying they used that first season to test interest for future seasons then yes absolutely. I'd be okay if Capcom wanted to go that route. Packaging old games and selling them to people who have already played a multitude of re-releases of the same product doesn't seem like the best way to gauge how a brand new entry is going to do.

i will be very sad if capcom makes a new darkstalkers game because i know they are going to overhaul the gameplay so it doesn't feel like a darkstalkers game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom