• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I'm going to argue that it gets more views in person and online and that Xrd wouldn't get the views Marvel would if it was in Marvel's timeslot.
when the timeslot for xrd was 8AM its hard to actually compare. entry numbers are actually comparable. Not to mention xrd was streamed in more places than marvel

Tripon

Marvel did disappoint last year in its time slot for EVO. It wasn't able to attain its lead in numbers from MKX and Melee.

I don't think EVO will put Marvel on Sunday again, but they did it last year and Wizard loves that game and series, so who knows.

You know what fuck it I think I'll go this year I don't give a fuck if I get 0-2 at all. I'm just going to have fun with it. I'm probably going to join SF5 and Marvel if it gets in

notworksafe

when the timeslot for xrd was 8AM its hard to actually compare. entry numbers are actually comparable. Not to mention xrd was streamed in more places than marvel
8am pacific is still Noon eastern, still a decent time for folks to be up and watching. Something has to be on in the first timeslot, I don't see why you'd move the game that gets consistently good numbers to the front

I got a feeling Smash players are going to disappointed with whatever Wizard's choice is and end up boycotting.

watch b

If they do I may rethink going this year

Nyoro SF

I got a feeling Smash players are going to disappointed with whatever Wizard's choice is and end up boycotting.

watch b

Can't really make a winning choice
Smash 4 only - piss people off
Melee only - piss off an even greater volume of people, will never happen
Both Smash games - piss off all non-smash players

First thing you learn when you start managing large events and organizations is that there are no such things as all-winning moves

notworksafe

Is there a chance that Nintendo drops the hammer this year and demands Smash 4 only? I don't know how much control/interest they have in what makes it into tournies.

how much appeal would a non-licensed VS game have, though? I always felt the Marvel half of MvC was responsible for most of its appeal in the US
All the appeal. Capcom has a ridiculous amount of IP and characters that haven't been utilized in a fighter for years now (or ever in some cases). The time is right and they won't have to share licensing fees with Marvel. MvC3 sold 2 million copies. SG, SF4 and Injustice have each hit roughtly 700k on PC alone. I'll eat my mayflash adapter if CvC can't hit 2 million copies sold across PS4 and PC with crossplay.
Marvel did disappoint last year in its time slot for EVO. It wasn't able to attain its lead in numbers from MKX and Melee.

I don't think EVO will put Marvel on Sunday again, but they did it last year and Wizard loves that game and series, so who knows.
Empty transition periods disappointed Mahvel.

8am pacific is still Noon eastern, still a decent time for folks to be up and watching. Something has to be on in the first timeslot, I don't see why you'd move the game that gets consistently good numbers to the front
8AM PST is 11AM EST. 11 or noon is still bad watching time on a sunday. However I'm not arguing it should be moved. Moving it later would be bad for the japanese viewership, and a large reason ASW will sometimes sponsor is because of the JP viewership. Im just arguing that based on what we have seen with numbers, GGXrd does have the merits for the move.

Tripon

Is there a chance that Nintendo drops the hammer this year and demands Smash 4 only? I don't know how much control/interest they have in what makes it into tournies.
No, NoA, the people who are running the tournament side doesn't care. They helped with stuff like equipment, paying for the convention center, etcfor Genesis 3, and they literally said we (nintendo) don't need credit for it.

Shun

Gonna be real and say no way BBCF is out in time to get a slot :p

This is true unless ArcSys decides to do what bannam does and bring a board over for the tournament.

Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator is not even out for console until end of May.

BlazBlue CentralFiction will just get it's second major update Act 2 tomorrow and Act 3 and whatever else is not even in sight until maybe late February or early March. Considering how profitable it is and how they will likely have to make console exclusive characters and add in a console 2.0 patch for arcades, it won't happen.

Same goes for Tekken 7 Fated Retribution. Console isn't even close and an arcade release isn't even ready for late Spring, maybe even early summer. FR still has to show new characters, new balance, new visuals, it will take a while.

Console release for CentralFiction is not going to happen until late summer or early autumn.

ShinMaruku

I like how Sdr last night brought up maybe giving dos a chance never knew that anybody on there followed it much. However unrealistic as it would more strongly benefit from a bit more built up scene for entrance and it seems to be getting there who knows.

peter0611

Sadly, I can see Melee being on the chopping block if they are only allowing one smash. Nintendo is the determining factor and their focus is on the new title. Plus, CRTs suck and last EVO's complaints of the melee crowds encroaching in other areas may bite them in the ass.

It would suck coming off the hype that was Genesis 3.

I find it hard to imagine that Evo would cut one of its two most watched/most played games, and 2016 Nintendo is smart enough not to shoot itself in the foot to this degree

yall writing anti smash fanfics right now

Kalamari

Ya, melee is undoubtedly the more competitive game, but Evo is too eSports for old crt displays. Redbull wouldn't want to sponsor video games played on grandma's television.

Dahbomb

I find it hard to imagine that Evo would cut one of its two most watched/most played games, and 2016 Nintendo is smart enough not to shoot itself in the foot to this degree

yall writing anti smash fanfics right now
I mean if MrWiz is inclined to cut USF4, THE biggest game of last EVO... what makes you think he won't do the same for Melee as well?

xCobalt

Ya, melee is undoubtedly the more competitive game, but Evo is too eSports for old crt displays. Redbull wouldn't want to sponsor video games played on grandma's television.

It seemed like half of the majors (including EVO) last year were scrambling the night before to get enough setups to accommodate melee.

ShinMaruku

We gonna get a repeat of last year with the addition of SFV.
With SF4 and Maybe Melee on iffy footing. But likely just an addition of SFV

I mean if MrWiz is inclined to cut USF4, THE biggest game of last EVO... what makes you think he won't do the same for Melee as well?
Someone earlier (maybe in the same thread?) made a point about audience overlap. Melee and Smash 4 apparently only have overlap of about 500 people while the SF4 and SF5 audience obviously has a far far great amount of overlap. Tossing any Smash will result in far lower attendance than dropping SF4.

the segment of EVO SF4 players who won't transition to SF5 is a small minority (even if you assume every Japanese player sticks to 4), while most Melee entrants only enter for that one game. It's a totally different situation, and I don't see EVO ever moving to cut Melee unless outside forces make it a problem for them to run the game.

peter0611

I totally agree about the overlap and why keeping Melee but not SF4 would make sense. Nonetheless, it wouldn't surprise me if EVO forced Nintendo's hands by allowing one Smash and asking them to pick one. If that's the case, it makes perfect sense for Smash 4 to be chosen; it's a business afterall and Nintendo doesn't have to take the fall.

My scenario really does sound like a very bad anti-Smash fanfic, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom