• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

CO_Andy

It's why TvC was a flop, if it was a PS3 exclusive it would've done better (not by that much but still reasonably so).
TvC wasn't a flop. According to Sven it met sales expectations.

The game's success could be attributed to the thirst for a new Marvel, much like how HD Remix was successful cause people wanted a new SF.

TvC wasn't a flop. According to Sven it met sales expectations.

The game's success could be attributed to the thirst for a new Marvel, much like how HD Remix was successful cause people wanted a new SF.
The only reason I DIDN'T buy TvC was the Marvel announcement. The real king had returned.

Clawww

I've really gotten into Slayer on Xrd. been grinding matches with him and it's actually confusing playing other chars/games and having to actually deal with oki instead of BDCing out 90% of the time

Kalamari

I think he means Capcom executives rather than businessmen. I am pretty sure real businessmen would be running Capcom a lot differently.

It's not that it's exclusive to a Sony console, it's that it's exclusive to PS4 versus being exclusive to Wii U. Far less Wii Us out there than PS4. 3rd party games tend to do worse on Nintendo consoles anyway, that's how it has been since the GameCube era. It's why TvC was a flop, if it was a PS3 exclusive it would've done better (not by that much but still reasonably so).

What does that even mean? Not much of a flop?

People want the VS game engine in something. I don't think that Saturn game or the Fighting Jam count really to me.

I do think it will sell less without the Marvel IP. But what people are saying here is they want that VS gameplay in a different shell.

I hope they do it. I love the core marvel engine and I think it would do better than TvC on PS4/Xb1.

People want the VS game engine in something. I don't think that Saturn game or the Fighting Jam count really to me.

I do think it will sell less without the Marvel IP. But what people are saying here is they want that VS gameplay in a different shell.

I hope they do it. I love the core marvel engine and I think it would do better than TvC on PS4/Xb1.
I just want Capcom to keep making 3 kinds of games:
Street Fighter
Darkstalkers
Marvel

ACE 1991

Weird question, but how do you guys use a fight stick at a computer desk? all the chairs I have have big arms which makes it super uncomfortable after a while to play on my lap. Playing on a desk never feels right.

vulva

Weird question, but how do you guys use a fight stick at a computer desk? all the chairs I have have big arms which makes it super uncomfortable after a while to play on my lap. Playing on a desk never feels right.

I play at a desk and I have an office chair where you can lower the arms.

Standing desk, so I just have it sitting on the desk. It's actually not absolutely perfect because the sticks designs place your hands a bit higher compared to keyboard and mouse. But it's not too bad I think.

BadWolf

Place a small coffee table or whatever between yourself and the desk to place the stick on?

Got 4th place at my local in Smash 4. I also called Animal Crossing a shitty game, and the way people reacted you would've thought someone threw a chair lmao

ACE 1991

Standing desk, so I just have it sitting on the desk.

I use a standing desk at work, but I don't have one in my tiny ass apartment.

I have a nice TV, but the input lag is a bit too high so I can't really play fighting games on the couch. Such is life.

EDIT: My TV is rated as "great" on displaylag.com at 26ms. Do you guys think this is too high to play fighting games on with any level of seriousness?

Got 4th place at my local in Smash 4. I also called Animal Crossing a shitty game, and the way people reacted you would've thought someone threw a chair lmao
I don't even know how people can respect Animal Crossing. I permanently lost respect for Reggie when he referred to it as a "core game".

notworksafe

He isn't wrong. It's a game traditionally bought and enjoyed by gamers and it requires you to boot it up and play it daily to get the full experience.

K.Sabot

My new chair at my desk I play games at is too high for me to use a stick on my lap while being pulled into the desk, so I have to sit further back from the screen... I miss my old chair.

EDIT: My TV is rated as "great" on displaylag.com at 26ms. Do you guys think this is too high to play fighting games on with any level of seriousness?
It's 1 frame of lag, it's not perfect but not too bad. Everyone says that input lag is just something you get used to on your set up and it's fine, you'll just have to get used to your own weird timing.

It's only going to be a problem when you are using someone else's set up with a 0 frame display lag, like at a tournament.

Beckx

I use a standing desk at work, but I don't have one in my tiny ass apartment.

I have a nice TV, but the input lag is a bit too high so I can't really play fighting games on the couch. Such is life.

It's not even 2 frames, so you should be fine. Assuming you could find a TV that was 16ms or less (1 frame) it's hard to see why it would be worth the money.

It's a chore simulator. I got REAL chores I can do instead of pretending to do them.

yeah but think of how many "core" games are chore simulators basically, from World of Warcraft to Assassin's Creed.

It's not even 2 frames, so you should be fine. Assuming you could find a TV that was 16ms or less (1 frame) it's hard to see why it would be worth the money.

You could buy a monitor, it's cheaper than an arcade stick. I am obviously not advising it, but I mean considering that FGC is "hardcore" and "demanding" enough to have the "absolute best equipment". Reducing the input lag to what would be considered optimal with a relatively small expense is not ridiculous to consider.

I just want Capcom to keep making 3 kinds of games:
Street Fighter
Darkstalkers
Marvel
You make it sound like we've been getting a steady supply of DS style games since 1997. I love VSav, but I can't help laughing to myself a little because the games that try to borrow from it in any amounts seem to be crapped on the hardest. SFxT and SG were ripped to pieces in their own ways. Can't wait to see what walks into the meat grinder that is the FGC next.
You just got up and dissed AC? I wish I were there to see the reactions.
I don't even know how people can respect Animal Crossing. I permanently lost respect for Reggie when he referred to it as a "core game".
Animal Crossing GC was my first exposure to that type of game and I fell in love with it. I can't blame it for Nintendo's out of control Wii era hubris. They were on another planet at the time. Luckily they fell back to Earth with Wii U.

ACE 1991

It's 1 frame of lag, it's not perfect but not too bad. Everyone says that input lag is just something you get used to on your set up and it's fine, you'll just have to get used to your own weird timing.

It's only going to be a problem when you are using someone else's set up with a 0 frame display lag, like at a tournament.

Ok, cool. Maybe I'll just stick to playing on the couch then.

Beckx

You could buy a monitor, it's cheaper than an arcade stick. I am obviously not advising it, but I mean considering that FGC is "hardcore" and "demanding" enough to have the "absolute best equipment". Reducing the input lag to what would be considered optimal with a relatively small expense is not ridiculous to consider.

We agree. It's just that you have constant trade offs until you start spending real amounts of money. Lag v image quality etc. etc. I've got a $200 BenQ that's supposedly no lag but I bet image quality purists would have a thing or two to say about it. To me the picture is great and the response is great but people have way different tolerances for trade-offs.

Tripon

Animal crossing is a core game. You check the demographics of who is actually playing video games and its filled with people who play FPSes, Fighting games, mobas, etc. That the series also has massive crossover appeal doesn't mean that it doesn't have a massive hardcore base as well.

ACE 1991

I'm pretty sensitive to input lag, but I just don't currently have a comfortable way to use my desktop monitor (which has a rating of 10ms) without moving it or buying a new chair or something, neither of which seems ideal.

Damn desk chair arms.

yeah but think of how many "core" games are chore simulators basically, from World of Warcraft to Assassin's Creed.
I mean a literal chore simulator. Instead of cleaning my virtual house and dealing with jackasses and the occasional cool person, I can do that IRL. I'd rather play AssCreed 3 again then play Animal Crossing for more than an hour.

The exact conversation went like this:

Friend: So why do you always ban Smashville?
Me: Because Animal Crossing is a shitty game.
Everyone at the stations around us: WHOA.

I think I heard someone say "YOU JUST MADE AN ENEMY FOR LIFE" too.

We agree. It's just that you have constant trade offs until you start spending real amounts of money. Lag v image quality etc. etc. I've got a $200 BenQ that's supposedly no lag but I bet image quality purists would have a thing or two to say about it. To me the picture is great and the response is great but people have way different tolerances for trade-offs.

Yeah but that applies to like absolutely everything. "Fidelity" is a very expensive thing to chase. Getting to something that's good enough isn't that bad though as long as you know what you are looking for.

Here is a monitor http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ITORMDC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2760hs.htm

This should get you 0 frames of lag and a excellent color quality for around $200. The ghosting seems to be average?

Edit: I'll admit that I actually use this monitor at home my self, mainly because I don't have the $1000 or more I'd need to get one of the more recent variable refresh rate displays.

shaowebb

Got bored with circling through the fighters I got and Xmas and played some more Arcana Heart 3 Love Max the other day because I missed Dorothy's insane projectile and setup game.

I got bored and tried a new Arcana with her...WATER.
E492tvv.jpg

My God...that increased hit stun and shit just laying on the screen absorbing hits for me. Just so many more combos and the additional hit/block stun meant that I can take an already ridiculous pressure setup character and pressure folks even more. Pretty awesome I can use the waterfalls to dunk people back to the ground where my cards are stuck in the floor too. If I see them land near them after getting dunked I fire off a few more so that once I get 5 cards out they make a "hand" and pop off the ground+ give me random extra attacks on top of that in case they make any genuine poker hand.

Cannot emphasize enough how incredible that added stun feels with Dorothy. She's got multihit twirly moves with her cane, a scrooge mcduck Pogo move,the ability to slide trap cards along the ground under them that shoot multiple projectiles if you pass over em, a TRIPLE Akuma air fireball that sets up trap cards and a zangief like lariat move with a spiral of cards she summons on her and with that Arcana its reaaaaaaaally bullshit to abuse that stuff on them :D

My God do I always feel amazed at this game's potential every time I play it. I really wish Examu's Arcana system would get swiped for something non-anime/waifu oriented.

Bizazedo

I mean a literal chore simulator. Instead of cleaning my virtual house and dealing with jackasses and the occasional cool person, I can do that IRL. I'd rather play AssCreed 3 again then play Animal Crossing for more than an hour.

This is amazing / I love it.

Rhapsody

Banned
Since BBCF Act 2 is out in arcades, I've been looking at the spoilers for them. BB story was already dumb, but they continue impress me by going one step further each time lol

Animal Crossing stages are the worst. Zero good music for a fighting game.

You make it sound like we've been getting a steady supply of DS style games since 1997. I love VSav, but I can't help laughing to myself a little because the games that try to borrow from it in any amounts seem to be crapped on the hardest. SFxT and SG were ripped to pieces in their own ways. Can't wait to see what walks into the meat grinder that is the FGC next.

Animal Crossing GC was my first exposure to that type of game and I fell in love with it. I can't blame it for Nintendo's out of control Wii era hubris. They were on another planet at the time. Luckily they fell back to Earth with Wii U.
My usage of the words "keep making" was intended to refer to a future tendency I want to see, not the status quo.

This is irrelevant to the discussion. It is a game no matter what your personal feelings.
Well, I consider myself core, and I don't give a shit about Animal Crossing. Not a fan of Reggie's false enthusiasm in general. Feels like he's trying to sell me organic food.

I'm just glad that I beat the game/saw the end credits so I can safely put the game behind me.
Well, I consider myself core, and I don't give a shit about Animal Crossing. Not a fan of Reggie's false enthusiasm in general. Feels like he's trying to sell me organic food.

...that's his job though

pizzacat

Banned

On my lap, this rap4 has a rubber thingie for my legs in case I'm just in my underwear and feel like playing

Bruh cmon kapp'n song is legit

notworksafe

Once again irrelevant to the discussion. Plenty of core gamers don't like fighting games, or strategy games, or FPS, or whatever. That doesn't make the those games not "core".

Also complaining about company man propping up company products shows all of this is going over your head in the first place.

Beckx

I am imagining you saying this while playing Villager

I'm just glad that I beat the game/saw the end credits so I can safely put the game behind me.

...that's his job though

Once again irrelevant to the discussion. Plenty of core gamers don't like fighting games, or strategy games, or FPS, or whatever. That doesn't make the those games not "core".

Also complaining about company man propping up company products shows all of this is going over your head in the first place.
There are a lot of company men propping up company products. Reggie is just terrible at it. I don't hate all the PR guys. A lot of them feel like they're members of the community. Reggie feels alien, like he doesn't get it.

I'll still never consider Animal Crossing to be a title aimed at core gamers. It may be popular, and it may be time-consuming, but that doesn't make it core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom