• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckx

Also complaining about company man propping up company products shows all of this is going over your head in the first place.

He's been taken over by the people who post those constant "OMG Company man says company thing HOW OUT OF TOUCH IS HE??" threads on gaming side

vulva

Animal Crossing stages are the worst. Zero good music for a fighting game.

My usage of the words "keep making" was intended to refer to a future tendency I want to see, not the status quo.

Well, I consider myself core, and I don't give a shit about Animal Crossing. Not a fan of Reggie's false enthusiasm in general. Feels like he's trying to sell me organic food.

from a gamer perspective I'd be considered core but I don't care about fps or rpgs. Does that make them not games because one person doesn't care about them?

mbpm1

There are a lot of company men propping up company products. Reggie is just terrible at it. I don't hate all the PR guys. A lot of them feel like they're members of the community. Reggie feels alien, like he doesn't get it.

Well somehow he works on the majority of the smash community
which says something about the smash community

jk

notworksafe

I'll still never consider Animal Crossing to be a title aimed at core gamers. It may be popular, and it may be time-consuming, but that doesn't make it core.
It's okay to admit you are wrong and that your opinion doesn't represent reality. Not everyone on GAF has to embody the lifestyle of "shortsighted internet poster"

I am imagining you saying this while playing Villager

I was, but he's a means to an end.

0GYusAs.gif

from a gamer perspective I'd be considered core but I don't care about fps or rpgs. Does that make them not games because one person doesn't care about them?

Well somehow he works on the majority of the smash community
which says something about the smash community

jk

It's okay to admit you are wrong and that your opinion doesn't represent reality. Not everyone on GAF has to embody the lifestyle of "shortsighted internet poster"

I always thought it was hardcore / casual

A new group emerges
Core started somewhere in the last generation as a label.

I think that something needs a fail state to be a game. For it to be a core game, it has to focus on skill acquisition and mastery. It's not just that I don't like AC. It doesn't fit as a core game to me. I'll always stick with my own perspective over embracing something else simply for the sake of doing so.

I'll always stick with my own perspective of 1+1=3 rather than embracing 1+1=2 simply for the sake of doing so.
Except you don't embrace 1+1=2 simply for the sake of doing so. You embrace it because it is more logically coherent with mathematical operations than 1+1=3. Sucky analogy.

My point is that I'm not going to call AC a core game just because Reggie wants it to be one. It doesn't fit my definition of a core game, so it won't be counted as one. If someone could convince me that my definition of a core game was poor, then it could change.

vulva

I think that something needs a fail state to be a game. For it to be a core game, it has to focus on skill acquisition and mastery. It's not just that I don't like AC. It doesn't fit as a core game to me. I'll always stick with my own perspective over embracing something else simply for the sake of doing so.

is this a real definition or just something you came up with?

notworksafe

My point is that I'm not going to call AC a core game just because Reggie wants it to be one. It doesn't fit my definition of a core game, so it won't be counted as one. If someone could convince me that my definition of a core game was poor, then it could change.

No thanks. I've spent enough time talking with a brick wall in this conversation.

Even having a definition of core game as if it mattered in the slightest is an eyeroll to me.

https://youtu.be/IzXabmKkEkc

The third video of my fight against Jay's Sas in VSav. I felt bad because I knew the win streak was going to go up in his favor, but through repeated viewings I see that I put up a decent resistance for a guy who doesn't play so often. Sasquatch is a beast of a character. ES Ice towers may as well be a super and the way he hops back and forth makes him look like some sort of grounded Magneto. It's insane, but I took some rounds with strength. God bless Tenrai-Ha. It's not quite Aegis Reflector tier at lockdown, but it's damned good in this game.
Friend: So why do you always ban Smashville?
Me: Because Animal Crossing is a shitty game.
Everyone at the stations around us: WHOA.

I think I heard someone say "YOU JUST MADE AN ENEMY FOR LIFE" too.
I know they had to be using a joking tone lol.

I would apologize on their behalf, but I'm a lapsed Nintendo fan.
Got bored with circling through the fighters I got and Xmas and played some more Arcana Heart 3 Love Max the other day because I missed Dorothy's insane projectile and setup game.

I got bored and tried a new Arcana with her...WATER.
E492tvv.jpg

My God...that increased hit stun and shit just laying on the screen absorbing hits for me. Just so many more combos and the additional hit/block stun meant that I can take an already ridiculous pressure setup character and pressure folks even more. Pretty awesome I can use the waterfalls to dunk people back to the ground where my cards are stuck in the floor too. If I see them land near them after getting dunked I fire off a few more so that once I get 5 cards out they make a "hand" and pop off the ground+ give me random extra attacks on top of that in case they make any genuine poker hand.

Cannot emphasize enough how incredible that added stun feels with Dorothy. She's got multihit twirly moves with her cane, a scrooge mcduck Pogo move,the ability to slide trap cards along the ground under them that shoot multiple projectiles if you pass over em, a TRIPLE Akuma air fireball that sets up trap cards and a zangief like lariat move with a spiral of cards she summons on her and with that Arcana its reaaaaaaaally bullshit to abuse that stuff on them :D

My God do I always feel amazed at this game's potential every time I play it. I really wish Examu's Arcana system would get swiped for something non-anime/waifu oriented.
We should really play. I swear I had you on my friend list and I don't know anyone else that plays AH3. I'd suck so bad, though...

Yeah, there is nothing wrong with having your own personal definitions and perspectives to a certain extent.
My usage of the words "keep making" was intended to refer to a future tendency I want to see, not the status quo.
I wasn't sure and I thought maybe you were including SFxT somewhere in the timeline.
There are a lot of company men propping up company products. Reggie is just terrible at it. I don't hate all the PR guys. A lot of them feel like they're members of the community. Reggie feels alien, like he doesn't get it.

I'll still never consider Animal Crossing to be a title aimed at core gamers. It may be popular, and it may be time-consuming, but that doesn't make it core.
I feel bad for Reggie. He's been hyping NCL's nonsense that wouldn't fly overseas in any shape or form. That job would suck the soul out of me after a few years. That money tho...

is this a real definition or just something you came up with?
Is "salty" a real word, or just something people came up with?

All words and terms have origins. Attempting to create a definition that doesn't exist isn't a fruitless or nonsensical exercise.

Some people might attempt to define "core" as "something most gamers like", but categorizing anything according to its popularity (exemption: appropriate terms specifically in reference to popularity) is idiotic. This is just basic Aristotelian logic, which most people follow whether they realize it or not.

No thanks. I've spent enough time talking with a brick wall in this conversation.

Even having a definition of core game as if it mattered in the slightest is an eyeroll to me.
How can the definition of what a core game is NOT matter in a discussion over whether AC is a core game?

I know they had to be using a joking tone lol.

I would apologize on their behalf, but I'm a lapsed Nintendo fan.

I was too busy laughing anyways lol

Sometimes I forget that people on GAF are used to me not liking "sacred cows" like FF4/6, etc, so when people I know IRL hear that I don't like them for the first time I just get shocked reactions.

Thulius

There are a lot of high quality mindless grinds and simple linear games out there for people that like macho murdery war things and not a whole lot for people that like cute animals and goofy dialogue.

I don't know whether Animal Crossing fits under some arbitrary "core" label but it's not really hard to see why it appeals to people.

There are a lot of high quality mindless grinds and simple linear games out there for people that like macho murdery war things and not a whole lot for people that like cute animals and goofy dialogue.

I don't know whether Animal Crossing fits under some arbitrary "core" label but it's not really hard to see why it appeals to people.
I actually do struggle to understand its appeal. If you were in a town with other people playing the characters, I could see it. But it's along the same lines as people who consider the Persona 4 cast to be their "friends", or have actual digital "waifus" they are dedicated to, which is totally bizarre and incomprehensible to me.

mbpm1

I actually do struggle to understand its appeal. If you were in a town with other people playing the characters, I could see it. But it's along the same lines as people who consider the Persona 4 cast to be their "friends", or have actual digital "waifus" they are dedicated to, which is totally bizarre and incomprehensible to me.

You don't understand the appeal of characters in games?

vulva

Is "salty" a real word, or just something people came up with?

All words and terms have origins. Attempting to create a definition that doesn't exist isn't a fruitless or nonsensical exercise.

Some people might attempt to define "core" as "something most gamers like", but categorizing anything according to its popularity (exemption: appropriate terms specifically in reference to popularity) is idiotic. This is just basic Aristotelian logic, which most people follow whether they realize it or not.

I mean, to be fair, I originally took core in this sense to mean it was referring to a core part of nintendo's catalogue and first party output so I'm probably just misinterpretting to begin with, but it seems odd to create criteria that something has to fit in to for a term that wasn't also coined by one's self.

shaowebb

We should really play. I swear I had you on my friend list and I don't know anyone else that plays AH3. I'd suck so bad, though...

I suck at all fighters. Lab play and match play are two different beasts. Plus with work, my own stuff, and how many fighters I'm digging through and taking notes on I dont exactly practice enough to be good at anything I know I should be doing in any of them lol.

There are e-sports players and sports analysts I guess lol.

Anyhow, I'm shaowebb on both steam and PSN. Hit me up sometime. We can both suck. Might wanna leave the quick reference chart open though. Too much shit to memorize at the arcana select screen otherwise.

Just remember, when in doubt use Love Arcana and just start shooting beams and homing orbs!
iYqzEz0.gif

EDIT: I wonder if Nazuna would get better with Fire Arcana since Extend Force would add explosions to all her normals to force them out into her crazy zoning...

Dahbomb

It doesn't matter what it's labeled, all it matters is if you like it or not.

I don't like AC and I don't really care what it's called.

And core just means core audience/gamer, someone who plays/buys games regularly although not to extremes like a hardcore. Most people on GAF are core gamers based on what the industry sees them as.

Because if you are working off an arbitrary personal definition then this entire discussion is pointless.
All definitions are arbitrary. It's not pointless to establish the semantics of obscure words in a discussion. That's what allows a discussion to take place.

I'll remove the "core" language and say this, though: Reggie missed the point. At the time, fans were complaining about a several month drought of Wii titles. Folks were starving for something new to play, and Reggie's response was "Hey, we have Animal Crossing coming - we have the core gamer covered". The nigh-unanimous response from GAF, and the rest of the internet, was that Reggie's answer was bullshit. Reggie always tries to spin everything to make it look like Nintendo is doing great, and it's irritating. Before you say it's because he's a PR guy: not every PR guy is like this. Some are honest and admit to mistakes, or they acknowledge their company can work to improve something. To the best of my knowledge, Reggie has never acknowledged a misstep.

As a kind of ambassador to the United States, he should be informing Nintendo heads. He should let them know that ending an E3 press conference with digital Nintendoland fireworks is one of the lamest things I have ever seen in my life. He's just an empty talking head, though, and I can't respect that.

He also has one of the most punchable faces I've ever seen, right next to Robert De Niro.

You don't understand the appeal of characters in games?
I don't understand being attached to them like they are real people. SOME emotional connection is expected. It's part of human fantasy. But if you get to the point where you "miss" your digital companions, I think that's disturbing and unhealthy.

I mean, to be fair, I originally took core in this sense to mean it was referring to a core part of nintendo's catalogue and first party output so I'm probably just misinterpretting to begin with, but it seems odd to create criteria that something has to fit in to for a term that wasn't also coined by one's self.
To the best of my knowledge, no company has ever given a definition of "core", either. The term (I think) arose in reference to gamers that felt disenfranchised by things like motion controls (aka shitty waggle mechanics in 95% of games), and just wanted to play on the controller again. But it's not a clear term at all. I think the healthy thing to do when a word lacks a sound definition is to try and give it one so you can talk about it. Otherwise, you're literally talking about something without even knowing what it is. THAT is weird to me.

shaowebb

shaowebb, right?

Doesn't see anyone on PSN with that. Quick, someone grab his name lol.

They'd just fuck it up and claim "shadowebb" as their name lol. No one gets it right. Kind of like how Karsticles is pronounced like "Hercules" and not "Testicles" and how Intelliheath is "HEATH" not "HEALTH".

Beckx

It doesn't matter what it's labeled, all it matters is if you like it or not.

I don't like AC and I don't really care what it's called.

which goes back to why the labeling of core, etc. is irrelevant unless you're trying to pump up your personal value judgments.

it ends up in weird places where dull movie games with mass appeal like the Order can be "core games" because they have fail states, but games associated with the stereotypical gamer aren't.

Dahbomb

Reggie is just doing his job.

What other PR guys admit to problems in the company? Stretching truths and definitions is their job.

Reggie is just doing his job.

What other PR guys admit to problems in the company? Stretching truths and definitions is their job.
It's really not. Trying to represent their company well is.

Here's a classic Reggie moment:
http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/18/88...idnt-apologize-for-nintendos-e3-we-make-great

He's Captain Doublethink.

Sometimes, the best representation of your company is admitting fault. When Sony's security was breached and account information went out into the web, Sony's response wasn't "Psh, it could happen to anyone. Targetting us for a breach of security just shows what a great company Sony is, because people want to target us!" They apologized for the misstep and tried to make it better. Reggie has never done this, for anything, and Nintendo has made a lot of missteps.

He meets my personal definition of representing their company well. Sorry that you are wrong.
Hey, if you like Reggie, and he makes YOU feel better about Nintendo, then you're totally justified in that perspective. We don't have to feel the same about Reggie, or agree as to whether he is a good representative of Nintendo, because representation is about individual interpretation, and that will be varied.

Dahbomb

It's really not. Trying to represent their company well is.

Here's a classic Reggie moment:
http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/18/88...idnt-apologize-for-nintendos-e3-we-make-great

He's Captain Doublethink.
That's what he's doing. Pretending that nothing is wrong is how you keep investors happy. If Reggie came out more often and said "we messed up, Wii U isn't selling, we are bailing out" etc. then the investors would lose confidence.

Honesty isn't a PR guy's job. Because honesty doesn't make your company look good.

shaowebb

if you manage to strangle other contestants with your dick do you win by default

Ya know I think their was a hentai fighting game or beatem up starring Sonic's shitty friends that had that in it...Project X or some thing. I remember a fucked up review on the game that had some foreign dude that was pretty hilarious doing a censored run of it. They covered a bunch of other ridiculous Sonic fandom games that were equally as fucked up too.

What? Its the internet. You get used to this sorta shit.
Well, your definition of wrong is not like mine
Trust me...that Sonic game is EVERYONE's definition of wrong ya know what I'm sayin? :p

That's what he's doing. Pretending that nothing is wrong is how you keep investors happy. If Reggie came out more often and said "we messed up, Wii U isn't selling, we are bailing out" etc. then the investors would lose confidence.

Honesty isn't a PR guy's job. Because honesty doesn't make your company look good.
See above for when honesty does make a company look good.

Hell, look at how many people were excited when Sega said that Atlus is going to teach them about how to improve customer relations. If a company is going downhill, it improves people's opinion of the company for the company to acknowledge it, because it means it's being fixed. It's not any different from any other profession. If you did something shitty at your job and tried to PR it with "Oh no I'm not, I'm great at everything", people lose respect for you. You need to admit to faults when public perception is that they're already there.

Mizerman

Ya know I think their was a hentai fighting game or beatem up starring Sonic's shitty friends that had that in it...Project X or some thing. I remember a fucked up review on the game that had some foreign dude that was pretty hilarious doing a censored run of it. They covered a bunch of other ridiculous Sonic fandom games that were equally as fucked up too.

What? Its the internet. You get used to this sorta shit.

Lesson learned, indeed.

mbpm1

I don't understand being attached to them like they are real people. SOME emotional connection is expected. It's part of human fantasy. But if you get to the point where you "miss" your digital companions, I think that's disturbing and unhealthy.

Well then there's your answer. Nintendo's major audience and many others are unhealthy

...to the CORE :D

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Can you imagine how salty folks would be if the next Mahvel was actually Nintendo vs. Capcom? It would be glorious.

That would be hilarious. At then end of the day, though, I would just hope that it's a solid game, and hope that Nintendo appreciates the fighting game scene more than MARVEL does.

shaowebb

Lesson learned, indeed.

Y0OYukG.gif

BTW has Sonic ever been in a competent fighting game aside from Smash Bros? That Sonic the Fighters game sucked, but did they actually ever put him in anything else? I used to dream of a Sega vs Capcom fighter just for shit like that. Short, fast rushdown character that falls outta combos and who can use dash shit to mess with folks. The salt potential of charging your spindash for a multihit OTG into a corner carry dash would be amazing...

Y0OYukG.gif

BTW has Sonic ever been in a competent fighting game aside from Smash Bros? That Sonic the Fighters game sucked, but did they actually ever put him in anything else? I used to dream of a Sega vs Capcom fighter just for shit like that. Short, fast rushdown character that falls outta combos and who can use dash shit to mess with folks. The salt potential of charging your spindash for a multihit OTG into a corner carry dash would be amazing...

Sonic Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom