• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks again to Astarte for the code. Looks like my laptop can actually run the game at 60 lol. Definitely gonna double dip assuming Capcom actually puts in integrated PS3/4 TE2 support for the game on PC.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
SFV runs at 20fps in my toaster and i can't change the settings rip

Set the game's resolution to match your monitor's native resolution.
Set the resolution scaling to about 25%.
Put all other settings at their lowest option.

If it's still running like crap, keep lowering the resolution until it's not.

Line_HTX

I feel terrible for struggling to understand the questions Gamerbee is asking the KOF guys... I managed to make out him talking about EVO and what KOF could do for eSports...

T_T

Line_HTX

Okay, from that Taipei Game show presentation, KOF XIV still looks, I don't know... significantly toned down visually? The characters look like some massive edge lords or something. The only difference I see is that max meter is 4, one bar lower than in XIII.

They also talked about simplifying gameplay, and translation issues aside, I hope they really didn't mean a one button autocombo with the A attack. Other than that, Kula hasn't changed much.

Okay, from that Taipei Game show presentation, KOF XIV still looks, I don't know... significantly toned down visually? The characters look like some massive edge lords or something. The only difference I see is that max meter is 4, one bar lower than in XIII.

They also talked about simplifying gameplay, and translation issues aside, I hope they really didn't mean a one button autocombo with the A attack. Other than that, Kula hasn't changed much.

Maybe shorter combos? I'm not big into KoF, but wasn't 13 the more mechanically complex and combo heavy than previous KoF games? It could also mean making links less tight or the inputs for specials easier.

Amedo310

It is the same build from PSX. And yes, there is a autocombo button with A. It is like persona. Meaning that it has unique animations that goes into super. It does weak damage compare to bnbs.

Line_HTX

It is the same build from PSX. And yes, there is a autocombo button with A. It is like persona. Meaning that it has unique animations that goes into super. It does weak damage compare to bnbs.

Ahh, got it. At least it's just like Persona where the autocombo is weak shit. That's good.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Is cross play a day one thing or do we have to wait for it or something? I can't wait to play against some people but they are only getting PS4 version.

Oh god. The game has autocombos.

You guys are too into making characters out of people in here. We're crazy enough without needing to manufacture it. :3

We should fight again some time. I want to improve my Tenrai-Ha game against the low crouching characters of VSav and Fish isn't exactly a common match up these days. We should also play 3S if you're into that. I'm all hyped thanks to watching some good Alex play during the Coop cup.

Played 3S again after a long break. Goddam do I suck. Game's fun as hell though.

A core game sold poorly on the Wii? Say it ain't so.

A core game with an obscure-ish IP in a genre where the people have Wii allergy sold poorly on the Wii? Say it ain't so.

Most "core games" on Wii were abortions, though. Low budget second string team things, really weird "experiments" or "tests" to see if people want to buy good games (because Castlevania fighting games and Soul Calibur adventure things totes tell the customer that you respect them and intend to make a solid product).

Very, very few big studios treated the Wii with any respect, whether in core or expanded audience games. They just saw them as idiots who'd buy anything, which is about as far from the truth as it gets. They're the only customers who don't have to play games. Treat them wrong and they'll just leave.

Core started somewhere in the last generation as a label.

I think that something needs a fail state to be a game. For it to be a core game, it has to focus on skill acquisition and mastery. It's not just that I don't like AC. It doesn't fit as a core game to me. I'll always stick with my own perspective over embracing something else simply for the sake of doing so.

It's a term used to differentiate an explored market (ie. people who grew up on Mario, CoD kids etc.) from the expanded audience the DS and Wii went for, people who were not part of the gaming customer base back then.

That's in the business sense. The other sense is in "hardcore" gamers who play wannabe movie games with PLOT as opposed to filthy casuls who play Mario (I mean, Mario is barely a real game, right guys? Right?)

Personally, I label core audience, expanded audience (business POV),
casual, "hardcore" (modern wannabe movie QTE-infested action-game-with-RPG-elements monogenre games, see AssCreed & company), and actual hardcore (masocore, Dork Soles and other actually dedication-needing things with challenge).

To the best of my knowledge, no company has ever given a definition of "core", either. The term (I think) arose in reference to gamers that felt disenfranchised by things like motion controls (aka shitty waggle mechanics in 95% of games), and just wanted to play on the controller again. But it's not a clear term at all. I think the healthy thing to do when a word lacks a sound definition is to try and give it one so you can talk about it. Otherwise, you're literally talking about something without even knowing what it is. THAT is weird to me.

Properly understood it's a business side term related to Blue Ocean Strategy.
But yeah, people co-opted it to mean not waggle casuls.

Sometimes, the best representation of your company is admitting fault. When Sony's security was breached and account information went out into the web, Sony's response wasn't "Psh, it could happen to anyone. Targetting us for a breach of security just shows what a great company Sony is, because people want to target us!" They apologized for the misstep and tried to make it better. Reggie has never done this, for anything, and Nintendo has made a lot of missteps.

Yeah, he's still acting as if they have their act together the way they had it together in 2004-2008 when Balance Board had the same installed base as a competing console. They don't. Not by a long shot.

shaowebb

Ahh, got it. At least it's just like Persona where the autocombo is weak shit. That's good.

I think most all autocombos are. They tend to be in there just to allow folks the ability to do an easy hit confirm and an easy combo. Gotta break folks into the genre somehow and autocombos let them have moments too. It just leads them to learn real damage and confirms when they realize they don't get as much off of them, but at least they dont have that common " oh no I need to hit this guy" moment as a casual which is always followed by " oh no I hit him but I didn't do anything afterwards and now I blew my only chance!"

^ Those moments are rampant in casual play and it frustrates newcomers to the genre. Its why autocombos were created.

NEO0MJ

I make offhanded comment because I can find things attractive and appealing. butts and legs are very nice.

(*´﹃`*) ლ(´ڡ`ლ) (꒦ິ⌑꒦ີ) (´;д;`) (;´༎ຶД༎ຶ`) (இдஇ) ⁽⁽٩(๑˃̶͈̀ ᗨ ˂̶͈́)۶⁾⁾
I just like to use faces to exaggerate a post. like those for example.

I know you're no Shin, don't worry, lol. It's funny how that's almost an insult now.

Horseress

Is cross play a day one thing or do we have to wait for it or something? I can't wait to play against some people but they are only getting PS4 version.

Oh god. The game has autocombos.

Crossplay is already working since the 2º beta. I've played against a lot of PS4 users already

Anne

Remember that the successive hits of autocombos in Persona were counted as unique moves, and generally the 2nd hits of them had gatlings into normals. Narukami's second hit of autocombo (5AA) was a great frame trap since you could do 5A > delay 5AA if you were out of delay gatlings, then still have somewhere to go.

Narukami would sometimes go to 5AAA or even 5AAAA which ends in a low damage safejump option for him. If Mitsuru landed a long range 5A, she'd go into 5AAAA which ends in droit and leaves her +3 standing in 5A range (5f gap). Aigis airdashes out of her 5AAAAA into j.2B and gets a mode change situation. Lots of examples how they find practical use as a basic answer to specific types of conversions. These are all still used today at the highest level of play.

Yosuke though. 5A > 5AA > 2A > 5A > 5AA > 5B is a bit silly. The fact is he decides to finish it he gets his optimal knockdown is certainly something.

Outside of something like that though, it's neat how autocombos had use but were ass for damage. You only mashed them for damage if it was a set kill because they ensured burst regen if there was a next round and you can't fuck them up. I find it really neat how they are like "here is a simple combo option" but it has open ends to it and is practically useful without taking away optimization.

I will say I personally would rather them not be written off as "it's an option for newbies and ass past that so you won't ever use them." They are a lot more clever than that.

Rhapsody

Banned
Yeah, a lot of people seem to not know about the burst regen and meter gain making them nice meterless BNBs for some characters. Although 2.0 made characters like narukami to pick and choose whether to go for it because of requiring the special.

I really did like how auto combos were handled in that game.

UNIEL was a bit weird. It has it's uses to "refresh" a gatling. Then you had Orie having you hold an upward direction on a blockstring to chain multiple 5As lol

Beta 4's netcode performance is the worst out of all the betas. Why has the netcode gotten worse? Also it looks like the textures got a downgrade as well.

Anne

Oh yeah UNiEL "gatling reuse" was a really cool side effect of their autocombo system. Their system was a lot less open ended and is more in line of what people think of in autocombos, but practical use came out of it.

Grakl

Game looks like nothing but 50/50s at close range

tumblr_o1n7eetpVN1rt5cvco1_540.jpg
I love this

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
oh, I didn't know that

I thought it was an official thing since IG made that crowdfunded pot bonus for majors

Nah, but IG is being super nice using it as a S3 launch pad with reveals. (entire rebalance and a new character demo)

Going with max's channel probably helps because he's like the only KI personality that has a lot of viewers

peter0611

It's definitely the on board graphics holding you back. Even a low end dedicated card will run circles around it, sadly.

I think maintaining 60fps is unnecessary in most genres, but it's a must in fighters. I question how optimized the PC port is with this in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom