• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

CurlyW

What is this I'm hearing about a fighting game's storyline where it's revealed that half the characters are clones? That's super cheesy. Kinda makes me not want to buy Street Fighter now.

What is this I'm hearing about a fighting game's storyline where it's revealed that half the characters are clones? That's super cheesy. Kinda makes me not want to buy Street Fighter now.

that's how they get u, buy game, only to find out several months later in the cinematic patch that you were a clone the whole time

Numb

Tekken vortex

dc3a7e8ddcfece04b619fc68642bd28a.png

Beckx

Aris is streaming the beta.

I need to know just how low the requirements are for laptops. A 950M being good enough for mid settings would be sweet.

I am running it just fine on this:

3rd Generation Intel Ivy Bridge Core™ i7-3630QM
nVidia GeForce GTX 675MX 4,096MB PCI-Express GDDR5

Didn't change any settings out of the box. I got no idea how a 675MX compares to a 950M though.

shaowebb

Anyone else check out the Cerebrawl thread?

This thing looks pretty sweet, and its got some good pedigree working on it. I'm diggin a lot of what it does and its actually got a pretty neat way written into the story to allow them to create whatever the hell kind of mix of characters they want (This was a prime thing for me early on too). 2v2, breakable stages, assist characters, snap backs, dhc, mvc2 love letter...sounds pretty slick! Plus that soundtrack on Battle Witch gives me the JSRF feels.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

This thing looks pretty sweet, and its got some good pedigree working on it. I'm diggin a lot of what it does and its actually got a pretty neat way written into the story to allow them to create whatever the hell kind of mix of characters they want (This was a prime thing for me early on too). 2v2, breakable stages, assist characters, snap backs, dhc, mvc2 love letter...sounds pretty slick! Plus that soundtrack on Battle Witch gives me the JSRF feels.
but will it ever get made

Explain to me how drop kick is good cause all I ever do is interupt it or neutral jump/backdash and punish it. Not to mention it is a free Alpha Counter on block. It's like saying Nash's Moonsault is good.
You have to get the spacing right so she hits with the tip of her feet. Then it's pretty hard to punish. It also automatically beats lows, so it's a great counterpoke based on your opponent's tendencies.

He's really, really weird. I think I'm going to move my focus elsewhere, I played Bison (and Hakan) in SFIV because his game never revolved around long B&Bs but that's no longer really an issue in SFV.
I really don't know what they're going for. :-/

I'll still keep FANG in mind. If we had Akuma, he would be my go-to without a doubt.

I must have played over thirty matches and I didn't encounter a single Vega or Zangief. Even Dhalsim got two or three players.
I see lots of Giefs. Which reminds me: he can't die from gray damage done in his V-Skill state. :-/ You can pretty much only kill him with a grab, unless something breaks armor in this game that I don't know about.

shaowebb

but will it ever get made

I hope so! It sucks that its goin to struggle on assset production since its 2d, but the quality of that art is something thats pretty tricky t achieve via 3d. You have to make a lot of morph shapes and bake animations. Deformation modifiers help but straight up model swap animation morphs? Yeaaaaaaaaah that gets tricky and you can easily end up with a handcuff glitch or clipping problem thats hard to fix. Takes a lot of frames and a lot more time in 2d to get stuff, but you can go balls to the wall insane with the animation.

I like their tip jar sort of donation button over Kickstarter. Kickstarter or go fund me stuff with target dollar goals doesn't sound very reliable for projectes in general. Theres just so many variables you can't predict that can hold up development and suck cash out of the things. Really glad they're just puttin it out there, saying "this is us and we're gonna do our best" and letting folks donate as they see fit based on that without promising them the moon and stars and potentially creating a "you owe me" scenario.

Man I hope they make it. Looks and sounds great.

Numb

Hope she's not like sf4 instead. She's one of the coolest characters in 3. Well 3.3, people probably hate her in 3.1 and 3.2.
Just going by what the returning guys got as changes and if she will be getting a reboot or something
Since the vortex game is weaker maybe they give her new specials like Vega and his weird backsway claw

Arturo's Sim already looking deadly

YungART returns

Dahbomb

How is this a MVC2 love letter when it isn't 3v3 and features assist characters?

Plus it sounds like you can select the move of the assist character as it comes out. How is that possible? Is the point character not active at that time? Or is it two players vs two players? I talked about this idea before here but I thought it would only really work in an actual team player format where the person who isn't point can just input the move that he wants as an assist move.

JeTmAn81

How is this a MVC2 love letter when it isn't 3v3 and features assist characters?

Plus it sounds like you can select the move of the assist character as it comes out. How is that possible? Is the point character not active at that time? Or is it two players vs two players? I talked about this idea before here but I thought it would only really work in an actual team player format where the person who isn't point can just input the move that he wants as an assist move.

Also, how will this distinguish itself from Skullgirls which already prominently occupies that tiny niche.

shaowebb

Its what it says. I wont split hairs. My guess is "it uses assists for setups and is a tag fighter and has that kind of fast pacing and rhythms". I don't care about the particular differences they chose to implement to achieve their own identity. If they are designing it feel like MVC2 fights while not having to "be mvc2" then power to them.
Also, how will this distinguish itself from Skullgirls which already prominently occupies that tiny niche.

The destructible environments most likely.

Dahbomb

From the sound of things, it is actually a 2v2 4 player fighter (like 4 player mode in SFxT) and that's how they get the assist character to perform the action you want.

So yeah it's really not like MVC2 where you are controlling 3 characters at once vs 3 players controlling 3 different characters.

I think it's a cool concept but I am not sure I like that the game is making this to be the default mode of the game. One of the main reasons why people go to fighting games is so that they don't have to rely on the skills on another player to win.

I think it's a cool concept but I am not sure I like that the game is making this to be the default mode of the game. One of the main reasons why people go to fighting games is so that they don't have to rely on the skills on another player to win.
It's also one of the reasons people drop out of fighting games.

Numb

Not a fan of Anime-Gouken/Jinpachi having a little girl inside of him
She looks cool tho atleast

tumblr_inline_o1o0twrM9P1r40otq_540.jpg

Giving off Toph from Airbender vibes with looks and thats good.
Color can be changed(i hope)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Art has leveled up. For a minute there Champ's Sim looks better than his but seeing Art today is a different story.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That Cerebrawl ost pisses my ears off a great deal. Holy shit are most of those bad.

Rush the fort is ok though.

Half those tracks sound likey they are being played by someone's ass playing a kazoo though. Which is annoying because I can hear the underlying beat that is trying to be there

That's what i had it on! And it was still a constant shit show.

Weirdly, it's been fairly great since then. Perhaps they really are turning the knobs on the back end.
Probably a ton of people playing on Wi-fi.
Tested it on a 940M/i5 today and it did not play very well. Thought I still can't even confirm if my GPU is constantly on so ymmv.
I think I saw a YT recording of a performance test using the 940M and SFV just chugged at sub 30FPS. I was hoping a 950M might hold a steady 60FPS at decent settings.
3rd Generation Intel Ivy Bridge Core™ i7-3630QM
nVidia GeForce GTX 675MX 4,096MB PCI-Express GDDR5

Didn't change any settings out of the box. I got no idea how a 675MX compares to a 950M though.
You'd be surprised how much the x60-90 models of GPUs can do compared to the x20-50 models of new generation cards. A 950 is probably garbage compared to the 675MX.
I see lots of Giefs. Which reminds me: he can't die from gray damage done in his V-Skill state. :-/ You can pretty much only kill him with a grab, unless something breaks armor in this game that I don't know about.
The frack?

I'm guessing sweeps don't have SG armor breaking properties which means I'm going to have a rough time. Can't wait for Alex so I can EX flash chop the armored SOBs.
From the sound of things, it is actually a 2v2 4 player fighter (like 4 player mode in SFxT) and that's how they get the assist character to perform the action you want.

So yeah it's really not like MVC2 where you are controlling 3 characters at once vs 3 players controlling 3 different characters.

A 2v2 fighter can be a love letter to MvC if it still has assists and has similar gameplay overall. Not gonna call it a letter of any sort until it's out, time tested and I've played it myself. It's going to be hard to do as much playing as I will do listening with that sick ass OST tho.
That Cerebrawl ost pisses my ears off a great deal. Holy shit are most of those bad.

Rush the fort is ok though.

Half those tracks sound likey they are being played by someone's ass playing a kazoo though. Which is annoying because I can hear the underlying beat that is trying to be there
I'm so full of mad now. I wanted to post an outrageous gif response to this, but photoshop is under maintenance.

oh the humanity

Quesa

Is anyone besides hitbox making their style of controller? It's what I play on but boy those edges are rough on my hands. I really think a more ergonomic version of that controller could take off. Markman, where art thou?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm so full of mad now. I wanted to post an outrageous gif response to this, but photoshop is under maintenance.

oh the humanity

Hey there is good music there, but like... wut? Why the fuck is the beat and wonderful melody ruined by that horrible freaking noise?

https://soundcloud.com/cerebrawlin/2-mello-play-that-beat-cerebrawl-ost#t=0:08

And tracks like this DO NOT make good training mode music.

https://soundcloud.com/cerebrawlin/2-mello-training-room-cerebrawl-ost

Shit sounds like an off rhythm mess
mind you that it's in rhythm while sounding off rhythm but leaves a disorientating feel to the listener in short burst let alone someone that could be sitting there for hours at a time.

Like I'm sitting here playing stuff while having these songs play and IDK they just don't work to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom