• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
That SF4 play bringing down your skills though right?
my fundamentals must've come from XRD
kttcoliscusthov

So you're getting top 8 at Evo this year right

if you saw how many Ls I've taken so far this beta you'd be salty for me

Astarte

I like SFV so far but I don't know what Capcom means when they say it's more casual friendly. Either way, I'm not feeling too good about my prospects in V and I've accepted that I'll probably always be shit at it and the rest of the genre.

If I can body people with Birdie with shit tier LPN wannabe footsies then you can do anything in the world.

Saturday morning I went 16-2. In the SFV beta.

Sunday morning I went 5-9. I'm somewhat satisfied by my performance. Some losses were bad losses, but a lot of them were also close, so I consider those good. There's a lot more that I could be doing with Birdie, and I'll have to learn it.

Still really liking SFV. It's a game I see myself investing much time into learning.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
SFV is going to be a totally new game to me. I was too invested into focus attacks. Going to take a lot of beatings before I get to a comfortable level.

Tripon

I'm impressed with KI this weekend. Didn't realize how many people were interested in the series on GAF and in general.

https://twitter.com/LiquidNuckleDu/status/693989498208796672

lol TriFroce

Anyway, I've played a bit here and there this weekend. It's mostly been Ken and Birdie. Birdie was a no brainer for me but Ken has been surprisingly fun especially because he can convert into decent damage while playing footsies. I might play him at release instead of Mika

Right now I've been enjoying Chun but I really wanna try out Laura, Karin, and Mika. I'm hoping once I can actually sit in training mode/trial mode I'll figure out who I want to play, but I had a lot of luck/fun with Chun of the little I played this weekend.

Tripon

Doing yomi online always seemed weird to me. I mean, I always thought it made sense person to person because I can read how the person is doing. But when it happens online, I always chuckle, like this shouldnt be happening just because of the lag.

lol TriFroce

Anyway, I've played a bit here and there this weekend. It's mostly been Ken and Birdie. Birdie was a no brainer for me but Ken has been surprisingly fun especially because he can convert into decent damage while playing footsies. I might play him at release instead of Mika
Yah Ken despite not being top tier has some pretty fun combos and punishes (thought I wish he had his beta 2 combos rip). His crush counter punishes feel fun to do, but then I fish for them too much sometimes. Nash feels kind of boring and flow charty in comparison.

Tripon

Yah Ken despite not being top tier has some pretty fun combos and punishes (thought I wish he had his beta 2 combos rip). His crush counter punishes feel fun to do, but then I fish for them too much sometimes. Nash feels kind of boring and flow charty in comparison.
Really? I totally think you can play flowchart Ken in SFV.

Clawww

ASW games are actually really good for fundamentals. Since shit is happening so fast it levels up your critical reaction ability. :p

The crazy shit is just added on top of all that.

yeah playing anime has really helped my neutral a lot. basic tools (anti-airs, mobility/defense options) are actually good so you need to actually play your opponent.

Really? I totally think you can play flowchart Ken in SFV.
You'd get blown up pretty fast, his run is pretty unsafe. His normals are much stubbier too so you have to mix it up (cr.mk fireball is unsafe as well). In comparison to boom, moonsault, dash up poke, boom moonsault, etc.

I really hope there is some decent tutorial/trial mode in SFV. Having set combo strings in ASW games lends it self well to that but I still feel like some of that could be useful in SFV. Maybe set it up more like the mission mode to learn some block strings,frame traps, counter hit combos. Learning a new character on your own is rather intimidating and hard, especially if you don't know what you are doing in the first place.

I really hope there is some decent tutorial/trial mode in SFV. Having set combo strings in ASW games lends it self well to that but I still feel like some of that could be useful in SFV. Maybe set it up more like the mission mode to learn some block strings,frame traps, counter hit combos. Learning a new character on your own is rather intimidating and hard, especially if you don't know what you are doing in the first place.
Yah I think that would be good, or have a community system where people can share videos of how to play. Also USF4 had online training, will SFV have that?

Astarte

lol TriFroce

I thought that it was a joke until Du reaffirmed that Triforce is still a scumbag :/

Birdie is still ridiculous. Reacting to fireballs with his jumping grab make me feel pretty good. "Reacting"

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I don't know why they continue to associate with him. The FGC was peaceful and quiet without him and now he's trying to come back and do his same old BS.

I don't know why they continue to associate with him. The FGC was peaceful and quiet without him and now he's trying to come back and do his same old BS.

he made an impression on a lot of important east coast people while they were pretty young, so some of them stick with him even though he has a consistent history of being a shady person and a bad manager.

It's like Will giving his dad the benefit of the doubt even though Uncle Phil was a way better father to him

Shun

Bannam has been killing it with their new visuals.

We all know Tekken 7 looks gorgeous, but iDOLM@STER Platinum Stars looks better than Street Fighter V.

Can't wait to see what the next true Gundam update will be since Maxi Boost isn't that big of a visual update.

I think Under Night In-Birth Exe.Late (st) is a very good game to learn the fundamentals and ground based play and knowing what is safe. It is a defensive game, but it is still fun and has audience. I think it is a pretty good intro to learn.

I still don't like SFV, and the character choice isn't doing it any favors either. Not that it matters because taking a break for a few hours seems to be enough to screw up matchmaking so that I can win a few games because I play against someone bad or just get lucky.

https://youtu.be/Dcq2iB9VgaQ

https://youtu.be/vruPUh7Lmfw

https://youtu.be/2H0hcWg5mjM

https://youtu.be/GAT1CJ6jkC8

https://youtu.be/Mf0Kj_Ian3E

Now where are there videos of the best Rashid player in the world, I hope that's a fun character to play.

CO_Andy

I think Cindi popped off on SF4 players a while ago saying she would beat them in V. This is why I don't say shit like that. My ass would get bodied regardless of game.
Is the difference really that huge? From what little i have played of the game it feels like SF4 with easier links.

Guess i shouldn't be making accusations around here til i play the real thing.

Kalamari

I think Xrd has set the bar pretty high in terms of Fighting game visuals. I have a feeling that SFV will struggle in that department, just like SFIV did.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is the difference really that huge? From what little i have played of the game it feels like SF4 with easier links.

Guess i shouldn't be making accusations around here til i play the real thing.

More like it's 3rd strike without gaining meter on wiff and no parries.

So not 3rd strike

ElTopo

Banned
Can I share my ideas for R. Mika buffs? I feel like I might be shouting into the void or be submitted to scrub quotes but I don't know. I'll probably be told to STFU by a dude who doesn't use her and thinks everyone is top tier and created equal. But, it's a beta and things change. Just look at Bison. So here's my thoughts with non-insane reasoning:

EX Peach has startup invincibility again.

I feel like the reasoning behind nerfing it was that Laura has basically the same move and is also unsafe on wakeup. Forcing both characters to use V-Trigger to escape pressure. The difference is that Laura's EX Bolt reaches farther than Mika's EX Peach and also, V-Trigger is more important for Mika than it is for Laura. Laura is all about using Meter for the vortex, so her V-Trigger isn't quite as important in the grand scheme of her gameplay. But for Mika? Her V-Trigger helps her with difficult zoning matchups and gives her a lot more options. In addition to this; Laura has a WAY better crossup than Mika's. Mika has a terrible crossup for a variety of reasons whereas Laura's is superior in every way.

Buff the Dropkick.

I was going to suggest that Mika should get a good crossup too, but maybe there should be differences between her and Laura? In that case, the Dropkick needs some buffs. As-is, it's very easy to hit her out of the Dropkick, you can easily jab her out if she does it at max range, it has a ton startup and a bit of recovery on top of this. It's very easy to escape from.

I think the Dropkick needs a smaller hurtbox where it's harder for the other guy to jab her out. I think the hitbox needs to be a little bigger to catch someone during the ascent of their jump better. And I think there should be an EX version of the Dropkick with Armor. Like say, if you hold down HK and another kick button, she does an EX that comes out a little faster, goes farther, and has full armor on it like Birdie's EX Bullhead with V-Trigger. To make it not broken, it would send the other dude flying and she can't do a big combo off of it.

Buff the V-Skill.

She might have the worst V-Skill in the game. It has pretty bad recovery and the buff for her command grab goes away the instant she's hit. Plus, it's not going to work if the other player is aggressive or has a teleport. So, I think the Mic should have a little bit faster recovery and either should: (A) the buff to command grab damage is permanent or lasts 10 seconds regardless of her getting hit or not. Or (B) it adds V-Trigger or Critical Art meter. Like say, the longer you hold it, you see the meter gain. It would give the other player more motivation to go in on her and stop that.

Possibly buff forward MK.

This is a maybe but I would love forward MK to have the extended range it had in Beta 2. It would still be whiff punishable but it would help her on getting in.

If regular HK Crush Counters, it no longer sends the opponent flying.

This would bring her more in line with every other character. I'm not talking about the charged version. But it sucks that if you use HK to Crush Counter it sends them flying, which means that you can't really use it to punish a blocked/whiffed Shoryuken or Super because the damage isn't worth it. You can't use forward HP either because it actually does less damage when compared to a Passion Press combo. Because if she blocks a wakeup SRK, she cannot punish with the Dropkick because it takes too long. So that leaves her with only Passion Press combos.

That's it, I don't think that would make her broken at all and it would bring her in line with the rest of the cast. Not all of these changes need to happen, but I'd be happy if at least 2-3 of these changes actually happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom