• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perro

Yeah, being exclusive really hurt it because 1) it was exclusive the losing console and 2) the winning console had already been established at 'the' fighting game console for this gen. The PC version will lead to some uptick, I'm sure, but I think it'll be marginal (though it might do well as it's one of the first PC ftp fighters). When the game is brand new, people are keeping an eye on it. Bringing a long-existing game to a new platform is hard to hype up in the same way that a new game is. For sort of similar reasons, I think that fixing MKX's netcode a year after release will have a relatively small impact as well- though it'll at least (likely) mean that future NRS fighters will ship with decent netcode day 1 (when it actually matters).
Agreed, but if KI PC version is F2P it can be pretty big.

Zissou

Agreed, but if KI PC version is F2P it can be pretty big.

I mean, it will be, right? Xbone already has a F2P version- they'd be crazy not have it available on PC as well. If Capcom is smart, they'll have a F2P version of SFV available ASAP. I've said it a million times, but someone is going to make a F2P fighter on PC that will blow up sooner rather than later- it's an untapped goldmine.

caZM351.png

Uggh, i want to punch my friend.
@SF5 beta: "I played 1 match online by accident (the system refused my attempts to train offline without automatically looking for challenges) and stopped right after. Kind of no point in getting matched up vs opponents if i don't even get a chance to try the characters out."

Here's your chance to train for free before the game is even out against people who are trying new characters/are not yet all trained up either and you duck out? wtf.

---
I enjoyed the beta myself, tried Karin/Chun/Cammy and had decent success. Well, less so with Cammy <.<;

Capcom needs to improve their matchmaking/netcode though. About half the matches i got were really great, and half were unplayable teleporting bullshit garbage. Thaaat's not what i want to see when i put it on '5 only'.

@SF5 beta: "I played 1 match online by accident (the system refused my attempts to train offline without automatically looking for challenges) and stopped right after. Kind of no point in getting matched up vs opponents if i don't even get a chance to try the characters out."

Here's your chance to train for free before the game is even out against people who are trying new characters/are not yet all trained up either and you duck out? wtf.

---
I enjoyed the beta myself, tried Karin/Chun/Cammy and had decent success. Well, less so with Cammy <.<;

Capcom needs to improve their matchmaking/netcode though. About half the matches i got were really great, and half were unplayable teleporting bullshit garbage. Thaaat's not what i want to see when i put it on '5 only'.
idk, I thought not being able to turn the matchmaking off was pretty annoying. I hadnt even had a chance to figure out chun's charge timings and BAM matched up online. Switched to cammy cuz she was simpler because of that

Sayad

idk, I thought not being able to turn the matchmaking off was pretty annoying. I hadnt even had a chance to figure out chun's charge timings and BAM matched up online. Switched to cammy cuz she was simpler because of that

You just need to be creative, let some torrent hug your bandwidth and switch the in game connection setting to 5 only, connecting wireless-ly would make things even better.

Remember when Ken and Seth infinite meter combos were the hot shit?

:edit:

Watched it again he's doing HK tatsu not ex into super.

:edit2:

Ex tatsu into super was elena specific in third strike :p
You need to watch it one more time. ;p

Sure, but not playing -at all- because of that? Friend dodged out of beta 3 for some stupid other reason too, seems like he's looking for excuses. Definitely not showing him any mercy on day one =/

I set it to '5 only' myself and had, you know, definitely a couple minutes to practice stuff uninterrupted at times.

Beckx

You just need to be creative, let some torrent hug your bandwidth and switch the in game connection setting to 5 only, connecting wireless-ly would make things even better.

You could also set the dummy to record and train as long as you wanted.

I want people to truely unpack "You must get many beatings to learn"
That is very misleading and misrepresents their experience.

You have to play to learn, you are going to take a beating when playing. The two are merely being conflated. Losing is just part of negative reinforcement that facilitates the learning process. It's simply an unfortunate side effect of the learning curve that it might be easier to just never play the game as the way to avoid these negative situations.

Personally I don't see how you can be good at a game without playing a lot. There is a ton of information required to successfully navigate a match that isn't readily given to the player. Part of that are the things within the game such ass mechanics and match ups, which you learn by playing. The other part is the opponents strategy and decision making process which you learn by playing other people.

There are a ton of moving parts in a fighting game and how they all come together is not readily apparent. Experiencing a large number of those situations first hand will improve your decision making process in the future, solving one problem before helps you solve a similar problem in the future.

Experience is helpful in tempering your confidence in yourself and your decisions which is critical in a time sensitive situation where fractions of a second make a difference. You are also less likely to lose that confidence when faced with a negative outcome, where as self confidence only based on ignorance and arrogance can evaporate in an instant when confronted with reality.

I don't know, fighting games are hard, I am still terrible at them. They don't make sense to me. I hate street fighter, but I am still thoroughly convinced that experience makes all the difference. It's why I still wasted so much time on it over the weekend despite everything I said.

Warxard

Banned
I just noticed no Justin at KI world cup? He's easily top 10 in the world.

He's a baby because he thinks Wulf in Season 2 sucks lmao, or at least that's his accusation

Rog, Champ, Justin -- usually well placing SF4 players quit KI because i don't know maybe the money wasn't enough for them (they sure are enjoying their time getting waxed in SF4 tho)

also SFV comes out in two weeks them niggas don't even know the game exists

Xbox 1 only hurt it. Specially when gg/bb/sf5 are all on ps4

BlazBlue lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Beckx

Excited for SFV now.

Game looks better in person than it has in the videos. Part because that's always the case for me but also the PC version just looks better than PS4.

I loooove the short combo, high damage, aggressive mindset of the game's design. Very much a throwback but the new mechanics make it feel fresh. I love that medium and heavy normals are much more prevalent than starting with a light.

V mechanics are way easier for me to wrap my mind around than all the mechanics built around focus.

After playing it, I found myself getting more excited watching good players play. Cannot wait for tourney and weekly play to start. (Assuming there are any regularly streamed weeklies...)

BadWolf

My impressions of SFV are very positive as well. The game looks, feels and plays really well.

The netcode was very good for me and the rate at which I was getting challenged was stupid high, usually within 20 seconds or so every time.

Spent pretty much the whole time playing Mika and balance wise she feels very solid, wouldn't mind her being the same in the final version.

... aside from her V-Skill, which is seriously garbage and probably the worst in the game.

Overall, she's just fun as heck. Both in terms of gameplay and visually.

I despise SF4 and am mostly positive on SF5. I still dont think Ill get into it since I still enjoy about 5 fighters more and dont have time for those, however vtrigger is awesome and reminds me of blazblue's overdrive, v reversals are fun. SF4's floaty slow jumping is gone, overall pace is better.

I still dont like 6 buttons and 4 versions of the same special move (7? with vtrigger), but otherwise its not bad

notworksafe

Koogy is very good people. Dude went over the top to help us out here with our charity events in many ways. Wish I could say the same for other folks that supposedly represent the FGC.

FACE

Banned
Remember when Ken and Seth infinite meter combos were the hot shit?

:edit:

Watched it again he's doing HK tatsu not ex into super.

:edit2:

Ex tatsu into super was elena specific in third strike :p

He did air ex tatsu before the super :p

I spent an obscene amount on food in vegas last year. I would hate how being further from the strip would make that more difficult. However my best meal was over in downtown vegas anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom