• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

Woo! I won 2nd place on the Card Fighters Project through their facebook and I just got a bunch of free SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters cards in the mail!

Its all non profit and is a 15 year labor of love from a die hard fan of the original title (not the DS one that is way different). Basically if you wanted every card in the game to make decks out of and run matches you could straight up print them yourself or go through the sites he recommends that he usually gets his own stuff made at. Dude has done a ton of work creating new card layouts with better graphics and images of the characters on the cards and a lot of text layout stuff in general

I loved this game and now I actually have enough physical cards thanks to this prize to start playing locals with folks at the comic shop. Rules are simple but its pretty cut throat deciding whether top play a card for its high attack power or to get yourself some SP to use to play the equivalent of "spell cards" in MTG. Neat thing is in this title you can only have 3 cards out at a time, and their BP is both the cards health and attack power so as they take damage they attack with less force. Playing characters is free, and the card you play yields you varying SP to use, but you only get to play 1 character a turn. Sometimes its beneficial to nuke your own card to clear a space. You can even unite BP of cards for a single attack using SP points or play cards as "backups" to add BP values to someone who is specifically listed as someone that card can backup.

SNK vs Capcom was awesome and it created two of the most fun card games ever as spinoffs. Its really cool I can play the original card game now physically. :)

jbug617

Banned
Spooky and his friends paid for Art to get out to SBO after PZ screwed him. Spooky had to sell his AH2 Arcade board. Art gave Triforce his memorabilia from SBO and Triforce lost that.

I like SFV so far but I don't know what Capcom means when they say it's more casual friendly. Either way, I'm not feeling too good about my prospects in V and I've accepted that I'll probably always be shit at it and the rest of the genre.
The secret to getting good at fighting games is realizing there won't always be someone better than you. It'll be a legion that stomps on ya.
ASW games are actually really good for fundamentals. Since shit is happening so fast it levels up your critical reaction ability. :p

The crazy shit is just added on top of all that.
Anime is always there for us even if we hate it.
More like it's 3rd strike without gaining meter on wiff and no parries.

So not 3rd strike
It also lacks the multiple supers in 3S. I'd be okay with multiple lower damage critical arts if there were no cinematics.
Excited for SFV now.

Game looks better in person than it has in the videos. Part because that's always the case for me but also the PC version just looks better than PS4.

I loooove the short combo, high damage, aggressive mindset of the game's design. Very much a throwback but the new mechanics make it feel fresh. I love that medium and heavy normals are much more prevalent than starting with a light.

V mechanics are way easier for me to wrap my mind around than all the mechanics built around focus.

After playing it, I found myself getting more excited watching good players play. Cannot wait for tourney and weekly play to start. (Assuming there are any regularly streamed weeklies...)
Yeah, it feels good compared to IV. I could see myself playing this for a while.
Imagine if game companies sued over players using IP names.

All those Sephiroth gamer tags would get hit with the law suit LMAO!
Slightly different approach here, but Nintendo could probably buy Japan using Nintendo related internet avatar royalties.
This SFV-ish looking Q looks pretty dope. He would fit in well with the weird cast of SFV.
What is weird about SFV's cast? It's a bunch of vanilla Street Fighter 2 characters, Mika and a lanky poison guy. Fat guy and angry guy barely qualify as "weird".

nycfurby

Dhalsim's Max CPM Emporium
This was back when Planet Zero (yes, that infamous arcade in Houston where the owner tried to stiff everyone in existence -- including the landlord) was still running SBO qualifiers. They wanted to run a qualifier for a game that would be an easy win for one of their locals, so they ended up running Arcana Heart that year. (It was originally going to be Melty Blood: Act Cadenza until they got wind that Sp00ky and his friend Zar were going to travel down to qualify -- they changed the game at the last minute). While PZ was one of the only places in the US to have an Arcana Heart cabinet, it wasn't the only place -- Chinatown Fair had one as well. So Arturo decided to travel down to PZ and press his luck for the SBO spot.

The bracket was rigged against him (IIRC he had to play Marn first round and then Fubarduck second round -- they basically put all of the non-local players in the same part of the bracket), but he ended up winning out anywhere. So he won the qualifier, but the owner tries to renig on the finals spot and travel money. There's some internal political BS that happens and the end result is that Art's qualifier win stands, but he wasn't going to get any of the travel money that PZ had promised the qualifier. That's where Triforce steps up and pays for Art's ticket so he can actually get out to Japan and play at SBO. (The question I would ask today is "Knowing how typically broke EMP was at the time, where did Triforce suddenly come up with that cash?", but that's another matter.)

The Bad Old Days were some "fun" times. -_-

You have the story wrong Dippy, actually Spooky and SK paid for my ticket (to the PZ SBO qual in TX.) However I still had to pay my own way to TX to get to Japan in the first place...and PZ John basically didn't make it easy for me when I was there. Fuck that lol. What triforce did do was take credit and said "EMP goign to Japan" when actually it was Vic and co lol. Everything else is correct though! I had to win a qualifier at anime matsuri to even get seeded in the first place, and they made sure that the seeding didnt matter for the actual qualifier lol. Funny how when you bring up that story I remember more details.

edit: and after that year PZ made damn sure that noone outside PZ and friends were ever going to japan on their own dime again lmao. Remember qualifiers by interview? lolol. They had done everything to stop me from winning the ticket in the first place.

Shouta

You have the story wrong Dippy, actually Spooky and SK paid for my ticket (to the PZ SBO qual in TX.) However I still had to pay my own way to TX to get to Japan in the first place...and PZ John basically didn't make it easy for me when I was there. Fuck that lol. What triforce did do was take credit and said "EMP goign to Japan" when actually it was Vic and co lol. Everything else is correct though!

edit: and after that year PZ made damn sure that noone outside PZ and friends were ever going to japan on their own dime again lmao. Remember qualifiers by interview? lolol. They had done everything to stop me from winning the ticket in the first place.

Gratz on getting the channel back! =o

CO_Andy

What is weird about SFV's cast? It's a bunch of vanilla Street Fighter 2 characters, Mika and a lanky poison guy. Fat guy and angry guy barely qualify as "weird".
Out of all the initial rosters in SF games it feels like the weakest. Not quite sure how to put it, but it feels off.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You have the story wrong Dippy, actually Spooky and SK paid for my ticket (to the PZ SBO qual in TX.) However I still had to pay my own way to TX to get to Japan in the first place...and PZ John basically didn't make it easy for me when I was there. Fuck that lol. What triforce did do was take credit and said "EMP goign to Japan" when actually it was Vic and co lol. Everything else is correct though! I had to win a qualifier at anime matsuri to even get seeded in the first place, and they made sure that the seeding didnt matter for the actual qualifier lol. Funny how when you bring up that story I remember more details.

LOL That's so scumbag

Kumubou

Gack, that's what I get for actually trying to make a positive point about Triforce. I blame the fact that the story is nearly a decade old at this point. D: Now that you mention is was Sp00ky and SK (and the fact that the plane ticket to Japan was honored after jumping through 345436363 hoops), that makes way more sense.

The qualifiers the year after... whoo boy, that was some SSS-rank scumbag shit.

And good stuff on getting your channel back (even though it took some Illuminati to lean on people to make it happen).

notworksafe

Lego Batman vs Superman.

There's two of the world's most popular entertainment brands in one game. Three if you count Batman and Superman as separate.

mbpm1

tumblr_o0dykoTwRX1reugqko1_540.png

tumblr_o0dykoTwRX1reugqko2_540.png

DW with the reads

CO_Andy

Whenever a new NRS game gets announced their previous game gets thrown into the dumpster at EVO.

Marz said:
Yea SFV cast is in no way "weird".
Uninspired is the word i'm looking for.

Doesn't mean i don't like the cast, but i'm just not feeling the hype (other than my hype to play a new SF).

Fraeon

I'm really liking the SF5 cast personally, especially the returning characters. The new Ken is awesome, Dhalsim is pretty nice and I'm really liking the reworked Charlie.

The only really boring one of the bunch to me is Laura.

.la1n

The problem with Injustice 2 is they already used all the interesting characters in the first game

Nah there are a ton of DC characters I'd love to see (but never will.) Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Deadman, John Constantine, list goes on. To be honest they stuck to the mostly safe characters for the first game, I'd like to see them branch out some more. Although with WB in full Justice League swing I imagine we'll just end up with same cast with a few more Batman villians/heroes thrown in.

DC seems to think its only good character is Batman

I think Injustice 2 with the variation system from MKX would be really interesting, it lends itself well to the source material

Perro

I think MK9/Injustice/MKX were too similar. They need a new art style and try to differentiate from previous games.
and good music ffs

shaowebb

DC seems to think its only good character is Batman

I think Injustice 2 with the variation system from MKX would be really interesting, it lends itself well to the source material

That'd be cool. Be interesting if the variants changed the gimmick button ability of the character. Shazam with the option to use a different gimmick? Or Green Arrow? Or LEX? This could be a game changer unto itself without even taking into account variations of special moves or strings.
I would like to know the subtitle of an Injustice 2.

Injustice 2: Fall of Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom