• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

CO_Andy

CZ8uHYkVIAEfSNH.jpg:large
Triforce in SFV?!

the usage is based on top player stats, right? if so the character breakdown might be drastically different on the lower end if matchmaking is doing its job

That depends on what the chart means by top ranking. It just looks like Ryu is popular. On the other hand only 1 Zangief player made it into the top 100. Pretty peoples displayed character also changes rather quickly.

pizzacat

Banned
After all these betas for SFV who do you guys plan on maining? I've decided on Ryu and Nash for now.

Also is izayoi in danger of being removed for central fiction?

I'm gonna play Karin and sub Chun, i think. Tried Cammy but just wasn't having any fun with her. Miiight play around with Laura some more.

Looking forward to Ibuki and Juri though. Hope they're not the last ones to come out.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
What's so bad about gief?

your tag tells me everything i need to know

- SPD gets beaten by regular throw
- Lariat is awful as an anti-air and as a combo ender. It whiffs on crouching and at s.LK max range doesn't combo at all due to horrible horizontal range
- Loss of green hand means he has a hard time closing the gap on runaway and he doesn't get that little bit of extra damage after his jabs and shorts
- V-Trigger range is shorter than it looks and against characters like Sim and Nash if you're slightly out of range when reading a fireball they can teleport behind you for max damage because the V-Trigger has no hitbox behind him

I played him a bunch over the weekend and he's not bottom tier but he's definitely not in the top half of the cast. He relies more on hard reads than he did in SF4 but most matchups are manageable if you have the patience.

After all these betas for SFV who do you guys plan on maining? I've decided on Ryu and Nash for now.

Dictator and Necalli for me

My only concern with SFV is that it might be too aggro heavy.

A lot of characters don't have great normals to space with. Everyone has fireball counters. M/H moves chip on block and lead to serious damage on hit. Throws are harder to break. Stun is really high and prevalent. Supers do a lot of damage. Can't chip kill which favors an aggressor. DP reversals can't be made safe and on punish can lead to 40% HP gone. No invincible back dash. No crouch tech.

Individually all of these things are good but with all of these combined you realize that the game seems a bit lop sided on the strategy (offense vs defense). They only gave v reversal to hold back the aggression.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, but zoning is fine in this game. Those that do possess higher-than-average range to their normals or special attacks are perfectly capable of spacing out their opponents with the right considerations, and are able to counter-act on those anti-fireball abilities. From the looks of it, F.A.N.G keeps those very same sensibilities in mind too.

That said: even for these characters, SFV does give them reasons to want to move forward and appropriately pressure the other player when the time is right for it. I find it to be a nice balancing act with the lack of straight-forward "why not?" buttons like for example Dhalsim's old standing fierce punch from afar.

Amy good resources for learning Smash Bros Wii U and Miller Instinct?
It might be outdated by now, but I recall UltraChen TV having hosted a pretty extensive entrypoint tutorial with some Smash 4 pro players back in the day.

I like SFV so far but I don't know what Capcom means when they say it's more casual friendly. Either way, I'm not feeling too good about my prospects in V and I've accepted that I'll probably always be shit at it and the rest of the genre.
You've been doing fine in Ultra Street Fighter IV, so I'm sure the same type of growth will occur in V once you can spend more time with it. There's a lot going on under the hood that utterly threw me off at first too whilst simultaneously trying to comprehend how to set Dhalsim's gameplan into motion as well as (to make matters worse) learning how to play with an arcade stick, and things only started to click for me at the end of day 2 / during day 3.

In general, the streamlined gameplay is more approachable for the casual crowd though for a number of reasons. It's just that the gulf in quality will be more immediately apparent with little in the way of hard comeback systems, based on how I got my butt whooped in past betas, but on the flipside it's also a game where you can identify your wrongdoings more easily thanks to its stronger focus on fundamentals.

What is weird about SFV's cast? It's a bunch of vanilla Street Fighter 2 characters, Mika and a lanky poison guy. Fat guy and angry guy barely qualify as "weird".
Classic characters being inconsistent on who got redesigned (either mechanically or visually), garish bottom-of-the-barrel Alpha rejects and iffy aesthetics for the newcomers.

At this rate I'm fully expecting Oro and Twelve to make the cut for Season 2.

Dhalsim™, Fat Punk Dhalsim™ and Poison-slinging Asshole Dhalsim™.

- V-Trigger range is shorter than it looks and against characters like Sim and Nash if you're slightly out of range when reading a fireball they can teleport behind you for max damage because the V-Trigger has no hitbox behind him
Birdie's can also messes up Zangief's V-Trigger, so I wonder if there'll be more projectile-based oddities.

- SPD gets beaten by regular throw
- Lariat is awful as an anti-air and as a combo ender. It whiffs on crouching and at s.LK max range doesn't combo at all due to horrible horizontal range
- Loss of green hand means he has a hard time closing the gap on runaway and he doesn't get that little bit of extra damage after his jabs and shorts

what do you think of the dhalsim/zangief matchup? seems pretty hard for gief

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
what do you think of the dhalsim/zangief matchup? seems pretty hard for gief

Sim is pretty awful for Gief but like in previous games once he gets in and gets some reads it's over. You can use V-skill against fireballs and then flex the follow up limbs but you have to be careful of doing it too much, otherwise a good Sim will read the flex, teleport behind you and push in your shit.

Honestly it seems the Birdie matchup is way worse for Gief than Sim. That matchup seems impossible to me but it's still early so maybe some tech will be found down the road.

ShinMaruku

Cammy and Karin. They speak to me. All bets are off when the Queens come. All hail Juri and Ibooty!

K.Sabot

Still can't decide between Roo, Vega, or Mika. And then there's Fang as well.

We're all wondering about Fang, but most people seem to be in agreement that Ryu will stick his landing. Some people are saying Vega will do fine, but he has real holes in his pressure now that they've made RCF unsafe.

Birdie all day for me. Also FANG, though I might change my opinion of him once I actually play him. Also thinking about Rashid.

When Alex and Juri release, I'll also see about playing them.

Sim is pretty awful for Gief but like in previous games once he gets in and gets some reads it's over. You can use V-skill against fireballs and then flex the follow up limbs but you have to be careful of doing it too much, otherwise a good Sim will read the flex, teleport behind you and push in your shit.

Honestly it seems the Birdie matchup is way worse for Gief than Sim. That matchup seems impossible to me but it's still early so maybe some tech will be found down the road.

I see. Thanks

Amy good resources for learning Smash Bros Wii U and Miller Instinct?

killer instinct: I posted this KI guide earlier: http://ki.infil.net/index.html

there's also sajam's channel

smash 4

Rhapsody

Banned
One of her intros before starting a match is her as the girl that Hades takes over (well I think) for central fiction so are they the same person?

No. She has nothing to do with the clones and all that. BB has also never removed characters within the same iteration. The closest is splitting Nu and Lambda.

an early 2012 FGC runback a couple days ago and I fucking missed it :(

triforce shenanigans, floe interviewing him after, chris hu commentating. No LiveOnThree vid calling FGC a bunch of "thugs" in the aftermath though. Dark times with cross assault trainwreck at the center of it, but you can't deny it was some tasty drama in 2012.

anyway, Aris' take on the meaning of Triforce's name is amazing:
http://www.twitch.tv/avoidingthepuddle/v/39643576

Right now I'm looking at Chun because I had some decent luck with her on the last beta

But I wanna play Chun, Mika, Laura, and Karin

Also there's gonna be a challenge mode on launch right?

necalli calls to me. feels very visceral.

also i'm a glutton for pain picking characters that are hard to handle or have tools im not good at using.

might have a pocket Nash just cause i was very successful with him

Man I didn't learn much when playing P4 lol.

Well it's ok, I got myMinazuki bnb back, got my 50 meter bnb extension. Just need to get that throw OMB/OMC combo and I am good. Maybe practice tick throw set up. I am ready to play other scrubs again.

Korigama

No. She has nothing to do with the clones and all that. BB has also never removed characters within the same iteration. The closest is splitting Nu and Lambda.
This. The closest thing that Izayoi has anything to do with them is the weapon being a prototype for the Murakumo Units (hence the 00 designation). The wielder herself, Tsubaki, =/= Saya (the Imperator), the latter being the one from whom Lambda, Mu (Noel), and Nu were all cloned, and is the one being used as the host for Hades Izanami.

Man I didn't learn much when playing P4 lol.

Well it's ok, I got myMinazuki bnb back, got my 50 meter bnb extension. Just need to get that throw OMB/OMC combo and I am good. Maybe practice tick throw set up. I am ready to play other scrubs again.

I know you didn't enjoy your time with sf5, but did you enjoy this game when you were playing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom