• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadWolf

I know that, based on the discussion above I was looking for more detailed info, like can you use it at any time from when you first go into block animation until block stun is over, what prevents you from using it, that kind of thing.

Sorry for dumb. (ツ)

Ah that, yeah you can use it at any time while blocking. The only way you wouldn't be able to use it is if you don't have enough V-meter.

It's not guaranteed so you can get baited into it, though usually the opponent just lucks out with how their attack connected. More often than not you will be safe even if the v-reversal gets blocked.

Though it does seem to be weak to throws? Saw someone hit a normal with Mika to tick into her command and the Karin player did a v-reversal, the reversal initiated due to being hit with the normal but Mika's command grab grabbed Karin clean before should could connect the v-reversal attack.

That's the opposite of how it should be. Floor seats should be unassigned and bowls should be assigned. Do you really want an empty floor for most of the games? It will be a huge hype deflater.
It also doesn't make sense the other way around lol

I think the intention is for the floor seats to be filled with people intending on staying through most of the event, but idk if that's going to be realistic. They could also do it like at sports arenas where the riffraff is allowed to move down closer when it becomes obvious seats aren't getting filled, and then have them clear out once a game finishes.

ShinMaruku

Some of you guys should see how silly Bewb and Soul is with it's duels it's pretty awesome that I can izuna drop people or mount them. Also KFMs and Sword Masters have DPs.

lol

https://twitter.com/winnerstayson/status/694597370961592326

NW1co95.gif

lmao pls

ShinMaruku

Hamad seems to be a bit sensitive on some issues. I see him raging on certain things. It's a real mystery. Anyhow folks I shall be trying to have a SFV progress series to see if I can stop jumping and AA fraud jumping on me. I had a decent run during the beta.

Beckx

Ah that, yeah you can use it at any time while blocking. The only way you wouldn't be able to use it is if you don't have enough V-meter.

It's not guaranteed so you can get baited into it, though usually the opponent just lucks out with how their attack connected. More often than not you will be safe even if the v-reversal gets blocked.

Though it does seem to be weak to throws? Saw someone hit a normal with Mika to tick into her command and the Karin player did a v-reversal, the reversal initiated due to being hit with the normal but Mika's command grab grabbed Karin clean before should could connect the v-reversal attack.

Thanks - this is exactly what I was looking for.

Hamad seems to be a bit sensitive on some issues. I see him raging on certain things. It's a real mystery. Anyhow folks I shall be trying to have a SFV progress series to see if I can stop jumping and AA fraud jumping on me. I had a decent run during the beta.

Hamad's twitter is absolutely unbearable so that's a nice plus for the FGC.

Yeah Hamad can sound pushy because the dude is stubborn. He also takes things the wrong way even though in this case it looks like Logan did.

edit:

lol

Yeah this is what I was talking about. Hamad just mouths off.

About V-reversals

1) They are hit-invincible, but throwable. If you do one light attack and the defender uses a V-reversal, you can throw it (assuming they don't escape you like Nash or Vega). This is part of how tick throws, though easy to tech, will still be relevant in high-level play.

2) They are not guaranteed to land. Say an opponent uses V-reversal on a deep jumpin, you might be able to neutral jump, have it whiff, then punish it (just speculating here. Probably more to discover).

3) Some are attacks that knockdown, some are attacks that don't knockdown, and others are not attacks at all.

Beckx

About V-reversals

1) They are hit-invincible, but throwable. If you do one light attack and the defender uses a V-reversal, you can throw it (assuming they don't escape you like Nash or Vega). This is part of how tick throws, though easy to tech, will still be relevant in high-level play.

2) They are not guaranteed to land. Say an opponent uses V-reversal on a deep jumpin, you might be able to neutral jump, have it whiff, then punish it (just speculating here. Probably more to discover).

3) Some are attacks that knockdown, some are attacks that don't knockdown, and others are not attacks at all.

thank you!

It also doesn't make sense the other way around lol

I think the intention is for the floor seats to be filled with people intending on staying through most of the event, but idk if that's going to be realistic. They could also do it like at sports arenas where the riffraff is allowed to move down closer when it becomes obvious seats aren't getting filled, and then have them clear out once a game finishes.

I agree that the other way around doesn't make any sense either but it's better than the way it is now. If everyone was like me and really liked and enjoyed watching a whole bunch of fighting games then it wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately I'm in the minority. I'm not planning on attending EVO this year and wanting to see how this whole seating thing shakes down is one of them. I want front row seats when I go next year. I want to see the system in place from the outside so I can make damn sure I get 4 of them for me and my boys.

Grakl

About V-reversals

V-reversals are also minus on block, so I assume if they v-reversal your jab you can punish anyway

V-reversals are also minus on block, so I assume if they v-reversal your jab you can punish anyway

They are all (right now) either -2 or -3 but have decent pushback. Punishing them on block seems unlikely unless you have a 2f/3f move that reaches decently far.

Some match videos from the last phase now that I have all the semi-decent ones uploaded. Disclaimer: still wrapping my head around a lot of things, never mind learning how to use an arcade stick. Played better after Juicebox detailed some specific thought processes on his stream, too.

vs will2pac (Nash)
vs Phen0m (Necalli)
vs Karin
vs Vega/Claw
vs R. Mika
vs a different Necalli
vs Rashid

Wish I got to experience more character variety; faced the above three Alpha characters and Necalli the most, with comparatively speaking very little else in between. Also cross-posting these from the beta thread for those who care about first impressions:

It's going to be a long two weeks. Already wish the game was out now.

Having said that, Dhalsim is a ton of fun. Barrier of entry is relatively high compared to others because of how his grounded normals aren't as snappy as they used to be (which was already known from the get-go) to the point where screwing up once can lead into a very unfavourable situation, but once you adjust he's so... slippery. You can be quite shrewd with his new moveset and I'm no longer worried about his ability to zone people out, fireballs included. Also helps that his pressure game is fairly legit now thanks to all the white health he can accrue on blocked attacks, plus his combo damage is respectable enough. Ample usage of his V-Reversal to shake off rushdown characters also netted me a lot of wins; called it a night after reaching 2500 LP (having gained approximately 800 that day) and his V-Trigger was better served as a situational tool with how I played him anyways... which was admittedly amateuristic. People did struggle with the distance game because of it however, but I'm guessing there was a low number of Dhalsims to practice against in the beta anyways.

Still say his yoga beard should've been on yoga fire for extra intimidation factor.

What surprised me with Dhalsim is how interesting it is on a mental level to manage his V-Meter. His V-Trigger is not one of those straight-forward activation skills that you want to pop practically immediately to reap its rewards; its effectiveness is quite situational and requires (relative) precision placement to get the most out of it, never mind that it's also further dependant on which character you're facing and what the opposing player's habits are. Sure it can be used for a hit confirm, but it won't be dishing out much damage and the white health will only start trickling down after they're on their feet again. If you do it that close, odds are the enemy is inclined to want to attack you after a quick-rise as you're still somewhat in their reach. But then it can also become a pressure tool in that same circumstance if the enemy is close to being stunned, and more knowledgeable players did start behaving in a certain manner upon realization. Hell, using it after a stun to ramp up your damage is a worthwhile option when you want to conserve EX:

wfezuq.gif

So it's a balancing act of considering the above, maybe even use it defensively every now and then to deter a rushdown character from sticking to you if you have decent blocking ability, and then there's V-Reversal idiosyncracies too! Sometimes you don't necessarily want to use it strictly defensively either: with how frequently Dhalsim can rack up white health both up-close and from afar, it may be worthwhile to throw it out offensively - what with how fast his V-Meter chunks fill up when being hurt - if you can't quite open someone up and he/she retaliates for a brief moment, just so that the white health keeps adding up and doesn't recover by the time you're neutral/unsafe. Oh, and you gain a little bit of V-Meter for each hit you land while levitating with V-Skill, in conjunction with the meter everyone gains upon landing a Crush Counter.

It's a really engaging mechanic to me.

K.Sabot

What I found successful against baiting v-reversals is doing low committal move and throwing when you see it come out, seeing as most v-reversals move you forward into range of a throw. Worked about 5 times for me the entire beta, but I was only really getting into the reversal bait game in my last day.

FACE

Banned
About V-reversals

It seemed to me that most v-reversals that cause knockdown are on chars that don't have meterless/any reversals themselves, which makes a lot of sense.

shaowebb

Just got Nitroplus Blasterz which launched for PS4 and digitally for PS3 in english today. I gotta say this game really surprises me with how smooth and fast it feels. It has a lot of cancels, a similar blast setup to Dengeki bunko, and you can summon 2 assists on screen at the same time (you heard me).

Thing I'm finding the most exciting and useful so far besides assist setups is the short hop. D button is for focus attack like chargeable guard crush attacks at neutral, blowback attacks for cornering by holding towards, a sweep if held down for a useful knockdown but best of all HOLD UP AND SHORT HOP INTO ANY AIR ATTACK.

Its pretty much a nigh instant overhead option mid block string. Loving this so far. I really advise people to give this one a chance. Feels fun so far, very fast, and very dirty setups and stylish cancel combos abound. I'm already finding nasty stuff with Muramasa and her webs. Think Vice combos in KOF but you can do the grab in as an otg, horizontal or AA move and on hit it hurts and on block it still drags em in. This coupled with Spidey zipline cancels equals crazy long air and ground combos.

Mizerman

About V-reversals

Hmm...makes sense.

Some match videos from the last phase now that I have all the semi-decent ones uploaded. Disclaimer: still wrapping my head around a lot of things, never mind learning how to use an arcade stick. Played better after Juicebox detailed some specific thought processes on his stream, too.

vs will2pac (Nash)
vs Phen0m (Necalli)
vs Karin
vs Vega/Claw
vs R. Mika
vs a different Necalli

Wish I got to experience more character variety; faced the above three Alpha characters and Necalli the most, with comparatively speaking very little else in between. Also cross-posting these from the beta thread for those who care about first impressions:

Very cool to see these videos. Inspiring.

J
Thing I'm finding the most exciting and useful so far besides assist setups is the short hop. D button is for focus attack like chargeable guard crush attacks at neutral, blowback attacks for cornering by holding towards, a sweep if held down for a useful knockdown but best of all HOLD UP AND SHORT HOP INTO ANY AIR ATTACK.

It's such a fun game. You've got your buttons mixed up though. E is for alpha counter, guard crush, blowback and sweep. D is for rolls, short hop and shielding.

Shouta

Hamad raged when folks suggested that players should remember to desync their PS4 controllers at tournaments because he wanted TOs to be doing it.

He's a good guy when you're joking around and having fun but man, he just blows up like crazy if you disagree.

ShinMaruku

Hamad raged when folks suggested that players should remember to desync their PS4 controllers at tournaments because he wanted TOs to be doing it.

He's a good guy when you're joking around and having fun but man, he just blows up like crazy if you disagree.

Yeah. He overeacts a bit much.

Kumubou

It's such a fun game. You've got your buttons mixed up though. E is for alpha counter, guard crush, blowback and sweep. D is for rolls, short hop and shielding.
One thing worth pointing out is that you can shield at any point while in blockstun. This helps a lot of really stupid blockstring/chip setups look... well, less stupid. It's balanced out by the fact that if you have an attack get shielded, you can shield back during your attack's recovery (when you normally can't). That works out OK... except when some characters have unshieldable attacks (like command throws). Have fun trying to deal with an Ethica shielding you at close range.

I can't bring myself to buy the game, though. Not because of how animeeeeeeerrrrrr the characters are or how dead the game will probably be (both haven't stopped me before), but it's 2016 and they're still using delay-based netcode. Even Capcpom and NRS have figured this out by now! I can't support that shit, at all. And yes, I'm aware that this pretty much prevents me from buying any anime fighter at this point. And if anyone asks about Melty Blood... well, it doesn't matter where the netcode comes from -- just that it's there.

Ever watch his stream? I don't know how I do it but I've tuned in many times and it's always him complaining about online non stop. Always saying the matches are laggy or that he input a move that didn't come out. PR Rog also hates playing online but he accepts it for what it is unlike Hamad who seems like he's torturing himself and wants to let everybody know how tortured he is. I'll watch every here and there but tune out eventually because instead of just talking about whatever he focuses too much on how much online play and online players suck.

BTW guys I'm doing a farewell to SF4 tournament. It's on PC and takes place this Friday, it's random select with Edition Select. I'm giving away a SFV Season Pass to the winner. The cap is 16, but only 2 slots have been filled so far. Please join if you want to play in a non-serious(but still with something online the line) tournament for fun. Sorry if you're disappointed that I'm not doing a more serious tournament. For those that want a serious tournament, hopefully Yams will be back soon because he wanted to throw one before SFV comes out.

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/YBlJSLVBR1

.la1n

Oh my God do I love how hard Korea has embraced E-Sports. They are always so excited and have some of the wildest tournaments and players. They even had Senko No Ronde Duo tournaments for us bullethell fans.

I really want a tv network of E-sports. Like twitch but on cable I guess.

Holy shit, got to go find this now.

What I found successful against baiting v-reversals is doing low committal move and throwing when you see it come out, seeing as most v-reversals move you forward into range of a throw. Worked about 5 times for me the entire beta, but I was only really getting into the reversal bait game in my last day.
A Mika I fought multiple times started doing exactly that. In hindsight I was being predictable and she managed to take advantage of that. Punishing a V-Reversal with a well-timed neutral jump is also doable with the right distance / moves.

Very cool to see these videos. Inspiring.
Thanks.

Any Sim v Sim vids, Crab?
I've played some matches, but I kind of disregard them.

Either I manage to relentlessly rush the other Dhalsim down because it catches them with their pants down (often the case) or one of them actually manages to defend themselves, with me awkwardly wondering what to do next. Either outcome looks messy to me, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

shaowebb

Lol. Too many fighters man. Tooooooooo many fighters. Since X-mas I've been on Dengeki, UNIEL, BBCPE, Arcana Heart 3 Love Max, TVC, Chaos Code, and Phantom Breaker Extra.

Literally more than a whole year's worth of fighters all came my way within a two month span. Plus Koihime Enbu shipped and I preordered it ages ago so thats just one more assist based japanese-centric fighter I nabbed to study goin into the mix. I was kinda hoping Nitro+ and Dengeki would harmoniously sorta mesh and I could bounce between them nicely since they have some similar stuff, but no.

Dengeki is all about Neutral Burst and Trump card rhythms and I can tell that Nitro+ is gonna be heavily about the Vanishing Guard, and E button stuff. Especially together... man if I can bait a low vanishing guard and then go into the hop overhead I could probably nail some folks since they cant vanishing guard low then high. Odds on i'd just need to approach with cr.A a lot till they started doin it then wreck em with the change up.Hopefully, I can get this rhythm of pressuring folks into bad V.Guarding down.

I gotta say though that no matter the aesthetic of art or animation with EXAMU they damned sure make certain it feels fucking GOOD when you hit folks. So many bounces, wall splats, guard crushes, knockdowns and pinballing bodies and unblockable/clashable stuff abounds in their games. It just feels like a slug fest and you have so many ways to land that one really heavy shot that makes you feel like you knocked the hell outta someone.

Check out how impactful the combos look in Nitroplus

Just a lot of nice bouncing people of the floor and walls with nice subtle unobtrusive screenshake applied to those and the way they fold up differently on hit depending on whether the move hitting them was a light medium heavy, high low or special move really makes things look impactful. I love it when fighters put that much into a fighting game's ability to "Sell" a hit so that people "buy" into the attack's strength.

Ever watch his stream? I don't know how I do it but I've tuned in many times and it's always him complaining about online non stop. Always saying the matches are laggy or that he input a move that didn't come out. PR Rog also hates playing online but he accepts it for what it is unlike Hamad who seems like he's torturing himself and wants to let everybody know how tortured he is. I'll watch every here and there but tune out eventually because instead of just talking about whatever he focuses too much on how much online play and online players suck.

BTW guys I'm doing a farewell to SF4 tournament. It's on PC and takes place this Friday, it's random select with Edition Select. I'm giving away a SFV Season Pass to the winner. The cap is 16, but only 2 slots have been filled so far. Please join if you want to play in a non-serious(but still with something online the line) tournament for fun. Sorry if you're disappointed that I'm not doing a more serious tournament. For those that want a serious tournament, hopefully Yams will be back soon because he wanted to throw one before SFV comes out.

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/YBlJSLVBR1

We in there!

would an hour later or two be more convenient for the west coast people maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom