• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

Yeah, why you spamming. Let me hit you.

CaFX7tzXEAA3i83.png

Man, Revelator could've been nothing more than having the ability to throw tech and I still would buy it full price. I love crazy scrambles, but they get a little ridiculous in Xrd.

shaowebb

Whoa shit, that dedication.

I agree on the feel of hits in N+B, just so satisfying. Landing a level 3 or even one of the more painful assists like Another Blood or Dragon you just go "Oof".

The assists feel really important in this game in general. Some of them lock you down forever and ever, and it's hard to stop someone from using them since you can't hit them away and they can call them even while airborne. Of course the cooldowns on the huge ones are very long also.

I've had a few situations where i call like zombies assist and my opponent is like "Nuh uh, you're not getting free momentum" and calls assist too to keep me busy. Then i call my second one and he does too and it just gets so preposterous. But fun. Very fun. =D
Oh man the zombies. I got comboed and they called that and they just KEPT coming. It was like Tron Bonne's lunchtime super or something. Definitely one of the most lockdown things I've ever seen as an assist. I'm thinking of running that + locusts sometimes for maximum lockdown.
Definitely some fun assist setups in this game. Feels much more in your face than Dengeki. I see myself circling these two the most in the near future with TVC and Arcana Heart as often as I can just find folks wanting to run sets in between. I make it a point to play any fighter I can find to try and get a feel for various styles of character design and meta systems but man I gotta say this year is killing me. Just sooooooooo much launched in Winter. I'll be on this for at LEAST a year minimum trying to feel out and get a proper handle on all this. It sure is a fun hobby though.

Most interesting and fun things I've ran into so far from the pile I keep goin' through:
  • Arcana Heart's Dorothy and her setup pressure. She can slide trap cards on the ground that when you cross over them fire multiple projectiles straight up. This coupled with a card she can place that hovers, a zangief like GTFO move, and a triple Akuma fireball that plants cards in the ground that pop back up if you get 5 on screen (and that do random extra effects if they make a hand) is one of the most unique and wild setup characters I've seen.FOOTAGE
  • Dengeki Bunko's Tomoka Minato's mix of summon projectiles to pressure you into her grabs. Tomoka is confusing to face and took a bit to understand. She summons basket ball players often behind you and throws basketballs to them. They then either pass the ball back to her or do a jump shot that puts a ball over your head. The ball itself when it moves can hit you so you end up with a character that essentially sends a projectile at you, that then comes back from behind you to either hit you in the back or wall off your jump. Often the ball goes above you and causes a multhitting basketball rim to fall straight down. This creates odd lockdowns and situations that either hold you wherever she wants on the screen or slowly pushes you towards her and she has command grabs and catch state moves to juggle you with. FOOTAGE
  • Dengeki Bunko's Mikoto Misaka air stuff. Not so much a game changer as just really really neat. She has a QCB move in mid air where she stops falling and hovers on a chunk of concrete and throws rocks diagonally at you. The neat part is that if you tap forward or backward she will jump from her perch onto another in the air. So you can do some tricky air stall stuff where you jump in jump back throw stuff, jump in throw stuff, or just hop left and right from them above someone baiting things out. Its really neat and I like this sort of aerial hopping around baiting folks into action. FOOTAGE
  • Tatsunoko vs Capcom's Yatterman-2 projectile setups. This character has lots of multihitting pokes from the air and ground and good pressure. What makes her so cool to me to this day is her projectiles that bounce. She can fire in the air projectiles that will bounce off the walls and speed up with every bounce. This means she can horizontally send back and forth balls of energy traveling faster and faster above people messing up jump mobility in an air dash game. If you bounce her projectiles off the ground they travel off screen and then later on the rebound rocket down from the sky super fast and its hard to tell where they will come in from! After this she can use her 2 supers. One summons another energy ball that can hit several times that bounces all the way across the screen and the other super summons a flying cube-bot for a long period that just randomly tries to hit you. Trying to read the ricochets, bouncing stuff, and random attacks as she pressures you with lockdown multihit jump ins and ground pressure makes for such a crazy pressure/setup game. FOOTAGE
  • Arcana Heart's Arcana System. The whole thing is fucking amazing. Each Arcana adjusts your health and atk power to try and balance their perks. Each Arcana grants you several passive abilities, several special moves, several supers, an ultra, and a different effect for when you use the x-factor like state called Extend force. You can give character's Jojo like stands, beams and homing projectiles, hyper armor, immunity to chip, poison on contact from normals, Jin-like special attacks from MVC2, teleports, cancels, extended hit stun, command grabs, and much much MUCH more. Its just amazing how many ways you can change a character with these and its one of the fastest and most impressively deep fighters I've ever touched.ARCANA LIST AND BREAKDOWN OF STUFF

^ and thats just a small bit of the cool stuff that stands out without having to dig deep. Granted the TVC and Arcana stuff I've been messing around with for awhile and they didn't "just launch" this winter, but I'm not done with them yet so I keep studying them too on top of all these other titles. Hell I even got Aquapazza, Yatagarasu and Vanguard Princess sitting around to waiting for eventual study lol.I can't wait to see what a year's worth of studying reveals you can setup in all these games! I definitely need to hit UNIEL and BB more for certain. That list doesn't even include general stuff like Hikaru in Chaos Code just being a cool mix of rekkas, zoning and Slayer stuff.

I'll keep bringing up the more interesting tools and such that I experiment with this year.

TLDR-If you're tired of the same old same old try out some anime or waifu titles. They experiment with a LOT of unique and interesting tools because IMO they have to in order to stand out given how the art and character design in many of these titles or especially licensed titles is the same. Always something interesting goin on and I'm trying to find all of those tools that I can.

EDIT: If you wanna see solid footage of a Yatterman-2 doing that zoning pressure in full effect I couldn't find more than just footage of the tools. However, if you take on QisTopTier on Dolphin you'll see what I mean. After telling him about that stuff he eventually went full Ky Kiske mode and made my life a hilarious nightmare of setups and pressure. I should bug him to stream some of that just to record it.

FACE

Banned
Ever watch his stream? I don't know how I do it but I've tuned in many times and it's always him complaining about online non stop. Always saying the matches are laggy or that he input a move that didn't come out. PR Rog also hates playing online but he accepts it for what it is unlike Hamad who seems like he's torturing himself and wants to let everybody know how tortured he is. I'll watch every here and there but tune out eventually because instead of just talking about whatever he focuses too much on how much online play and online players suck.

BTW guys I'm doing a farewell to SF4 tournament. It's on PC and takes place this Friday, it's random select with Edition Select. I'm giving away a SFV Season Pass to the winner. The cap is 16, but only 2 slots have been filled so far. Please join if you want to play in a non-serious(but still with something online the line) tournament for fun. Sorry if you're disappointed that I'm not doing a more serious tournament. For those that want a serious tournament, hopefully Yams will be back soon because he wanted to throw one before SFV comes out.

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/YBlJSLVBR1

US only I assume(unless people want to play with 20f of lag).

BadWolf

SFV is going to be on Capcom Japan's stream. Momochi and Kazunoko will be guests and all 16 characters will be playable. Not sure if it will be in the first half of the show, or 2nd half.

20 min from now

http://www.twitch.tv/capcom_channel

edit: Momochi and Kazu are up already.

They're showing a new stage.

Shadowloo air base?

EDIT: Sounded like Kazunoko plans to main Bison when the game launches and Momochi is favoring Ken?

shaowebb

Huh...just found out folks have been using something called "Discord" to setup matches for all kinds of fighters. I was wondering how poverty fighters organized players.

https://discordapp.com/invite/0TRfv0uy1A3zs9Rs

Apparently you go into that and there is a room for a bunch of fighting games. I can even find Arcana Heart in there. Gonna be useful. If anyone else knows of match making groups like this on anything post em. Its hard to find spread out community members sometimes.

EDIT: Ooh..no search for groups thing but no spam in the servers. So I'm looking through reddit and dustloop for links to prominent groups for games and finding a bunch of stuff. Apparently folks have setup a TON of these and they get pretty huge for even niche games. Definitely gonna ask for invites for various groups.

People really trynna cash out on that SFV hype.

Rog/Justin back uploading on youtube.
Floe/Viscant/Gootecks making tutorials
Ricki's said she'll start streaming

all positive things, just gonna be a dog fight for CPM

Infinite

People really trynna cash out on that SFV hype.

Rog/Justin back uploading on youtube.
Floe/Viscant/Gootecks making tutorials
Ricki's said she'll start streaming

all positive things, just gonna be a dog fight for CPM
None of those people except maybe Gootecks will continue streaming and uploading matches once the game is out.

pixelish

this will be the top 5 max cpm sfv streamers in the first couple of weeks after the game releases
1. maximillian
2. jwong
3. truetalent
4. art
5. hagrid

SF2 tournament next thursday on topanga's twitch.

Matchups are

Jai vs Haitani
Komoda Blanka vs Momochi
Nakano vs Itazan
Yaya vs Tokido

Mago vs Kanikani
Choco vs MF
Kyou vs Bonchan
Fuudo vs Hirai

KbvXjQx.png

Ramza Dissidia Trailer

throwing rocks OP

Some comments from LPN's AMA on r/SF

Top 3 and Bottom 3 characters in your opinion?

[–]pH_LPN -3 points 13 hours ago
IMO based on what I've seen and played.. Top: R.Mika, Chun, Karin(easiest to win with) Bottom: Ken, Laura, Gief(hardest to win with)

Hey LPN.
Some people consider you to be a lab monster first and foremost. As such, I'm pretty interested to hear your thoughts: can SFV sustain the interest of lab monsters, especially with there being few ways to really extend combos?

[–]pH_LPN 3 points 16 hours ago
I wholeheartedly feel that SFV will be able to satisfy the players in all aspects of fighting games as such in the past. It's about finding your niche and with an open mind, there will be discoveries throughout the series and create longevity.

Ken feels very weak throughout all of the betas and he keeps getting worse. Do you feel this way as well or do you think nobody understands how to use him properly?

[–]pH_LPN -3 points 11 hours ago
I can agree with you on that to a certain extent. I think ppl are spoiled by how exceptional the other characters are compared to him. He definitely has to work harder than others but that isn't necessarily a bad thing either. these provisional phases could just be for data analysis on the characters to see who struggles and who doesn't. Capcom will probably correct any issues if so ^

What do you think about Ryu in SFV? Does he stand a chance against Nash, Cammy, Karin etc.?

[–]pH_LPN -3 points 16 hours ago
Ryu is super duper solid to the point where he's kind of annoying if you know what I mean haha. He only struggles as much as the player who controls him. He is SF2 + SF3 ryu which is scary.

Hey LPN, who do you feel are the strongest characters so far in SFV? Also, do you think playing defensively is as viable in SFV as it was in ultra? Thanks

[–]pH_LPN -1 points 16 hours ago
I feel the strongest characters so far ( based on how complete they feel) are chun-li, bison, nash, vega, R.Mika, Karin. Doesn't necessarily mean they are top tier tho so keep that in mind ; )

What would you change about Ken to make him more competitive?

[–]pH_LPN 0 points 11 hours ago
Extend the range on some of his normals and faster fireball start up should remedy the problem in all honesty. He doesn't get many opportunities and when it presents itself, he just can't capitalized because of these 2 things: (

notworksafe

Jab Strong Fierce
Short Forward Roundhouse

it ain't that hard. of course i've been calling it that for ~25 years so i might be biased

BadWolf

At this point it's pretty safe to assume that Daigo will main Ryu, right?

Valle was playing Ryu but then played a whole bunch of Laura during the last beta and seemed to be doing well.

Viscant has some really good insights in this article tbh.

One that i've been asking for a while was why Chun kept her lp -> mp links:

Take her bread and butter combo for example, the low jab, standing strong, low forward into forward spinning bird kick combo. A pretty straight forward, 200+ damage confirm. But during the Mad Catz V Cup, commentators said on stream that this combo was the main reason she was a top tier character. What's the big deal? The big deal is that very few characters retained the ability to link lights to mediums. And very few characters retained the ability to have 3 normal hit confirms. And very few 3 normal hit confirms are safe with all normals. Chun has all of these in one and even has frame advantage on her low jab and standing strong. In earlier versions, most of the available characters had something like this but theirs all got taken away. Why did Chun retain hers?

It's impossible to say for sure but it's likely due to her v-trigger. In order to keep the overhead link into low jab, low jab link into low forward and towards roundhouse link into low jab in v-trigger the hit advantage on low jab couldn't be tweaked any further than it actually is. Taking out her light to medium hit confirm would require a complete overhaul of the character.

His Bison write up is good too. Karst may enjoy it or completely despise it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom