• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpm1

This is unnecessary because we know what it is based on just calling it a sweep. Sweeps are already low, so you'd be confusing and redundant calling it a low high to begin with.

Since a low high is the command for a sweep, you might as well say,"he hit him with a fireball aka quarter circle forward punch!" It makes no sense. Just keep it simple:" He hit her with a fireball" and "She hit him with a sweep".

"Low mid kick" isn't much better

But still better than current system rly

Skilletor

i just never actually cared enough to put that much thought into it. i just called them what they were labeled on the arcade and it stuck.

Yeah, pretty much.

Never liked the short/roundhouse crap. Glad I'm not the only one.

Low, mid, high. Keep it simple.

But...it's Light Medium Hard or heavy.

lol @ the low high.

Just give the buttons numbers like Tekken. That's the secret best way.

Until you start putting numpad in everything, then it turns into math.

pixelish

wait a minute, i thought l m h respectively means light, medium, heavy and not low, middle and high? have i been doing it wrong all this while?

notworksafe

give em the hard

2553566-9538917900-Fcham.gif

wait a minute, i thought l m h respectively means light, medium, heavy and not low, middle and high? have i been doing it wrong all this while?

I though it was medium and heavy/high. Now I'M confused!

Back in the day, it said L, M, H. So I always just assume it was low, medium, heavy.

If we are going to be pedantic about notations, what's the deal with taunts in GG being called Respect? And why is Dust called that way?

Pretty sure there are two types of taunts in GG, regular taunts and respects. Regular taunts are what you expect, while respects are actually respectful to the opponent.

Just give the buttons numbers like Tekken. That's the secret best way.

it actually makes the most sense for street fighter since all the buttons are attacks and all the motions are very standard. The only question is whether it's

or

Also consider the advantages of needing to only say one word to describe a move instead of two words or a very awkward sounding letter combination. I tend to use classic move notation when speaking to people about street fighter, because it's just easier to say. Just like how people use numpads for anime notation because anime players only communicate via keyboards.

ShinMaruku

Honkers, Marie and Lady Kstoute have the best taunts in fighting games.
"Hey, now I'm mad!"
Hitomi and Christie are fine too because they are great baits since they recover fast enough to hit people who try to do funny shit.

My mind is always in some dark place but that's what that sounds like to me, better terminology won't allow me to go there. I am not the only one who thinks that.

Thulius

All FG notation is really simple and easy to learn.

What's wrong with you people

Edit: Actually the notation in old gamefaqs movelists where they use dumb ascii art sticks for the motions? That's the worst. Everything else is fine though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It's always been light, medium, heavy/hard for LMH.

The naming convention never bothered me much, as long as it's consistent. I think LMH is a solid and intuitive approach though. It avoids things like "forward forward" which probably confused people when Gootecks said it on an Excellent Adventures.

Beckx

via SRK, great interview with Ono at GamesBeat about story mode

Ono: As a result, we talked about this in earnest on the R&D side, putting some real effort into this. Looking at Mortal Kombat, what they did with their story mode was pretty amazing.

We decided to put all our efforts into something genuine … we’re calling it a story expansion. Street Fighter V, the business model we have behind this is that we’re constantly going to be supporting the game and coming up with updates. It’ll [the story expansion] be a free update.

We decided to do this right in the summer, which is why it’s an update. It came a bit out of nowhere, and we just decided to run it out as part of our service. In terms of the story mode we’ll have in the game on day one, on the disc, it’ll serve as more of a prologue to get people immersed into the world of Street Fighter V.

It’ll also be a prologue for each individual character leading into the story expansion, where it’s going to be this very deep, well-told story. That’s what you can expect. For anyone who has the disc, come June, they’ll be able to get this content for free. At some point in time they’ll get a really big download.

Ono: It’s a bit embarrassing to mention this up front, but after being involved with the Street Fighter series for so long, this is the first time we’ve had this level of story, where it’s being told in a very serious tone.

We’re putting a lot of effort into this. We’re looking to make something that’s going to be appropriate for long-time Street Fighter fans as well as people who are brand new to the series. The length of the cinematics altogether is more than an hour. We’re really looking forward to seeing how the story unfolds.

As I mentioned earlier, the way the timeline flows between the numbered titles is far more complicated than Star Wars, but for people who actually understand it, the long-time Street Fighter fans who know about the story of the series, there are lots of hints that people are going to go, “Oh, yeah, this is what happens between II and III or II and IV.”

This is eventually going to make it out into the wild, so we’re all looking forward to fans picking it apart and trying to guess as to what happens in the timeline.

小P, 中P, 強P

下段, 中段

There, ambiguity removed!

射撃
射撃CS
Nサブ射撃
横サブ射撃
前後サブ射撃
格闘CS
通常格闘
前格闘
横格闘
後格闘
BD格闘
特殊格闘
バーストアタック

射撃
射撃CS
Nサブ射撃
横サブ射撃
前後サブ射撃
格闘CS
通常格闘
前格闘
横格闘
後格闘
BD格闘
特殊格闘
バーストアタック

the bolded this some booshet

Feel like every fighter has its own language.

That said, Japanese is freaking hard. I memorized all the hiragana and katana but getting beyond basic grammer, I am struggling. So much vocabulary to learn. Anyone have good tips to learn?

pixelish

All FG notation is really simple and easy to learn.

What's wrong with you people

Edit: Actually the notation in old gamefaqs movelists where they use dumb ascii art sticks for the motions? That's the worst. Everything else is fine though.

nah, we're going esports so sooner or later we have to decide on one universal fg notation for accessibility to new players.

Dahbomb

It is a tool used for great evil according to some. Don't go deeper with that sfm search you will regret it. :E
I don't know I saw some dope stuff with it online.

Any tool can be used for nefarious means. Should I not Google video games because they can be used for adult purposes?

Beckx

GamesBeat: Hmmm … you know, I guess I’m different from a lot of people, because when I play Street Fighter all I care about is the gameplay.

All of these people asking for more narrative, like … who is that? Is that a more Western thing, or is this a request coming from all over the world? Because I really could not care less about the back story.

Ono: That’s an older generation’s feeling, yeah. I think it has more to do with that.

LOL

Feel like every fighter has its own language.

That said, Japanese is freaking hard. I memorized all the hiragana and katana but getting beyond basic grammer, I am struggling. So much vocabulary to learn. Anyone have good tips to learn?

Use the suggestions in the GAF Japanese language thread.

People who've actually learned the language will be of more help but here's what I'm doing.

I am pretty happy with my current progress. I've been serious about it for a year. Using the Heisig books & Anki decks together, over about 8 months I memorized the meaning/writing for the 2200 official list kanji (&I have at least one reading for a little over half that list). I'm just finishing up Genki I and getting ready to move to Genki II. I have several anki decks for vocabulary - the Genki vocab, JLPT vocab sets, and ones I create for myself that have things like baseball terms.

The Guide to Basic Japanese Grammar is an essential book, IMO.

The drawback to solo study is how much listening comprehension and speaking ability lag your reading ability. I've picked up some Shadowing cds to help with both.

For me this is a long term affair I do in my spare time...my progress isn't super fast but I'm satisfied. I can actually read more baseball news (I get stupidly excited being able to read a simple tweet from a player or team, like my favorite player celebrating 2 consecutive years with 30 HRs).

tofugu.com has a lot of resources, including reviews of all the textbooks you'll see on amazon. also they have a service called WaniKani that duplicates the Heisig method plus teaches readings. I don't use it because once you've gone down the Heisig route it's insane to switch to a different convention for identifying primitive elements.

ShinMaruku

I don't know I saw some dope stuff with it online.

Any tool can be used for nefarious means. Should I not Google video games because they can be used for adult purposes?
I just say that because niggas have me type casted and would be quick to blame me if they found that stuff.

SFM is cool. This vid and this one always make me laugh. nsfw language for scrubs

SFM was always for some slick shit even some of the other stuff, these guys have TALENT and they have their niche down and probably will transition into making games or CGI.

vulva

So are we gonna call them:
456 for buttons now?

Maybe:
abc
def?

Or even if you find the basic terms stupid you can just use them since they work...

Maybe I wasn't clear. I know what a roundhouse kick is. My point is that the roundhouse button isn't always a roundhouse kick. It isn't even always a kick! That's what makes the label nonsensical. If every character had a roundhouse kick, it would make sense.

Because Ryu is the protagonist and default character. It's based on the assumption that the player picked Ryu and is going to through arcade mode in SFII

The other characters are the exception. In the original SFII the only mirror match you could have was with Ryu (Ken). The game is designed around him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom