• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Reading Viscant's blog post and he said that you can't do Ryu toward Fierce into standing Strong. Wut! How are you supposed to link after that move now... cr.MP?

Man have I been behind the balance changes in the beta.

notworksafe

I like Ryu more in SFV than I've liked him in any other game besides ST. It might just be that he was more "known" to me compare to other characters in the beta but I enjoyed my time playing him more than I expected.

Horseress

Not sure if old, but F.A.N.G. is a charge character

02_fangsf5moves.jpg

pixelish

Reading Viscant's blog post and he said that you can't do Ryu toward Fierce into standing Strong. Wut! How are you supposed to link after that move now... cr.MP?

Man have I been behind the balance changes in the beta.

cr. hp after solar plexus works

pixelish

He said that's removed too unless he is mistaken?

"This is the same reason for taking away towards fierce into low fierce. Same with towards fierce and back roundhouse into standing strong."

he must be mistaken then since i've been using cr. hp as my go to move after solar plexus in the latest beta.

Jab Strong Fierce
Short Forward Roundhouse

it ain't that hard. of course i've been calling it that for ~25 years so i might be biased
I've been playing for 20 years, and I still think it is nonsensical. What is a "forward"? How can a punch be called a "roundhouse"?

Viscant has some really good insights in this article tbh.

One that i've been asking for a while was why Chun kept her lp -> mp links:

His Bison write up is good too. Karst may enjoy it or completely despise it.
100% agree with everything he says about Bison. More of an experiment than a character, lacking basic tools but is given unproven and questionably good tools not normally in SF. My inclination is to think that it won't work out mostly because of his walk speed combined with horrible anti-air options. If they could fix ONE of those for Bison, I think he would be strong.

Psycho Inferno being combo only is still really lame, though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've been playing for 20 years, and I still think it is nonsensical. What is a "forward"? How can a punch be called a "roundhouse"?
Roundhouse is a kick.

But yeah, I've always found these terms not very intuitive and kind of a vestige of the past when you think of modern movesets. L/M/H >>>

BadWolf

Daigo will play Rashid

Seriously? There has been word?

So Bison's plan is to become a KOF character in a street fighter game?

He has been reminding me of Athena since day 1.

- Psycho Reflector + Psycho Ball
- Teleporto! (her light teleport can be used to go through stuff, as well as the EX)
- A slow EX fireball he can follow in
- A Super that starts with a purple burst around him

JeTmAn81

I'm pretty sure remember taking karate lessons and a certain kick being referred to as a roundhouse so I guess that makes sense to me.

I still forget what is what occasionally. I just use the annotations like lp/mp/hp and lk/mk/hk for 6 button fighters. The only weird annotation I use is the keypad number system when I talk about anime fighting games.

Dahbomb

Viscant says the design of Bison basically makes it so that either he would be really top tier oe just bottom tier, no middle ground.

Dat Marvel design philosophy.

Bizazedo

Viscant says the design of Bison basically makes it so that either he would be really top tier oe just bottom tier, no middle ground.

Dat Marvel design philosophy.

I think he'll be similar to SF4 Bison in one major way. He'll crush newbs and, eventually, be figured out and beat by pros.

Imho, anyways.

Kick is for roundhouse. Although I'm pretty sure that I've heard roundhouse used as a term in boxing.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2078448_throw-roundhouse-punch.html

Got me on forward, lol.

I still forget what is what occasionally. I just use the annotations like lp/mp/hp and lk/mk/hk for 6 button fighters. The only weird annotation I use is the keypad number system when I talk about anime fighting games.

Roundhouse is a kick.

But yeah, I've always found these terms not very intuitive and kind of a vestige of the past when you think of modern movesets. L/M/H >>>

forward (or front) kick. roundhouse is also a type of kick.
Maybe I wasn't clear. I know what a roundhouse kick is. My point is that the roundhouse button isn't always a roundhouse kick. It isn't even always a kick! That's what makes the label nonsensical. If every character had a roundhouse kick, it would make sense.

Also, it's not clear why a "strong" would be weaker than a "fierce".

Nightii

Banned
Light/Forward/Roundhouse makes as much sense as LK/MK/HK. I mean, they are not always kicks either way.*shrugs*

I'm used to both, so it's no big deal for me.

notworksafe

i just never actually cared enough to put that much thought into it. i just called them what they were labeled on the arcade and it stuck.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Jab Strong Fierce
Short Forward Roundhouse

it ain't that hard. of course i've been calling it that for ~25 years so i might be biased

I remember watching UltraChen commentary in early SF4 days and thinking "wtf is a low forward fireball."

EDIT: Bizarre jargon like "meaty" is probably worse, 'cause that kind of stuff doesn't even have roots in the games in the first place.

I can't imagine a situation where the name of a button ends up being what stumps someone about fighting games

I guess if we can be pedantic about number notation then everything is on the table

notworksafe

i would have used a different term but yeah, pedantry works. i guess this is what there is to talk about when there isn't shit to play.

Nightii

Banned
If we are going to be pedantic about notations, what's the deal with taunts in GG being called Respect? And why is Dust called that way?

He hit them with the sweep, aka, the low high.

This is unnecessary because we know what it is based on just calling it a sweep. Sweeps are already low, so you'd be confusing and redundant calling it a low high to begin with.

Since a low high is the command for a sweep, you might as well say,"he hit him with a fireball aka quarter circle forward punch!" It makes no sense. Just keep it simple:" He hit her with a fireball" and "She hit him with a sweep".

No kidding. It's what everyone grew up on.

118704-super-street-fighter-ii-genesis-screenshot-options-menu-s_zpsdc217360.png

In mags they'd always notate it as qcf p or whatever. I have no fucking clue where this short and roundhouse stuff came from, as someone who mostly played on home versions. It's completely foreign to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom