• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

Tekken uses

34 and that works great. It'd be easy to expand that to 6 button fighters

But I'll still call shit by the old ways and the young folks can live with it.

ShinMaruku

Know they are fuckery and make your hobby seem even more arcane to outsiders. Then again I find wow's terminolgy even more fucking stupid wizard cleave what the fuck.

LOL

Use the suggestions in the GAF Japanese language thread.

People who've actually learned the language will be of more help but here's what I'm doing.

I am pretty happy with my current progress. I've been serious about it for a year. Using the Heisig books & Anki decks together, over about 8 months I memorized the meaning/writing for the 2200 official list kanji (&I have at least one reading for a little over half that list). I'm just finishing up Genki I and getting ready to move to Genki II. I have several anki decks for vocabulary - the Genki vocab, JLPT vocab sets, and ones I create for myself that have things like baseball terms.

The Guide to Basic Japanese Grammar is an essential book, IMO.

The drawback to solo study is how much listening comprehension and speaking ability lag your reading ability. I've picked up some Shadowing cds to help with both.

For me this is a long term affair I do in my spare time...my progress isn't super fast but I'm satisfied. I can actually read more baseball news (I get stupidly excited being able to read a simple tweet from a player or team, like my favorite player celebrating 2 consecutive years with 30 HRs).

tofugu.com has a lot of resources, including reviews of all the textbooks you'll see on amazon. also they have a service called WaniKani that duplicates the Heisig method plus teaches readings. I don't use it because once you've gone down the Heisig route it's insane to switch to a different convention for identifying primitive elements.

Thanks BeckX. My family and I are planning on travelling to Japan spring 2017 next year (my kids are bigger so now I have to pay for four seats) and I want to make the most of it. Also, speaking really simple words to communicate to my kids, they are picking up Japanese so quickly in the house. I plan on getting an actual book and my flashcards are becoming unmanageable.

Rhapsody

Banned
I don't find learning various notations all that confusing. Takes just a short bit for me to get accustomed to something new.

If you're able to pick up more than one fighter but you can't get used to the notation, I feel like you're just refusing to at that point.
Fanatiq on dustloop lol

On SF, I use both styles of notation. Although saying jab/strong/fierce is easier out loud, but I definitely use LP/MP/HP when writing things out.

just say what makes sense to you and dont be a dick when someone needs you to explain it.

Dont act like roundhouse is good naming and turn around and act like numpad notation is nonsensical

notworksafe

if terminology for buttons is enough to make someone give up, they weren't going to make it anyway. every game has its own terms that don't make sense. this is hardly a fighter unique issue.

ShinMaruku

just say what makes sense to you and dont be a dick when someone needs you to explain it.

Dont act like roundhouse is good naming and turn around and act like numpad notation is nonsensical

Problem is a plague of FG players have no tacts and a bunch of them are rude.

Still wow arena players are even worse. They act like wizard cleave sounds right. Sounds as outlandish as meaty dps.

Nyoro SF

Smash is different enough mechanically that most of the changes in terminology make perfect sense. The only one that really gets me is people referring to empty jumps as "tomahawks." Just... what?

Calling recovery "lag" will always throw me for a loop. That's just wrong.

But I enjoy the terms "tech chase" and "Nair" a lot.

Dahbomb

Cleave usually means splash damage from an attack in RPG games. It used to be for Melee attacks but nowadays anything with added splash damage is said to have cleave.

Wizard is a wizard.

Every some what technical game has a pretty inane list of terminologies. You play DMC but you probably won't understand half of the terms in here.

ShinMaruku

I get the feeling people are going all Neon Genesis and whatever sounds cool they use and they end up sounding like moon watchers.

Thulius

Calling recovery "lag" will always throw me for a loop. That's just wrong.

But I enjoy the terms "tech chase" and "Nair" a lot.

Lag as recovery is a weird one for sure but it's a compromise for recovery already being used to refer to recovering to the stage when you're knocked off.

Rhapsody

Banned
Oh, I thought we're just talking about the basic button inputs. If we're including the other stuff, yeah, I can agree then.

Most of them got really weird in the Brawl days and on though.

ShinMaruku

Some terms remind of of fuckery too. We are at a impasse. Also all this terminology is stupid as all hell and we should laugh at them is my point.

And wizard cleave was excra fucking stupid when there was no warrior with cleave. Then I see shit like "Join me in shadow cleave breh" I quit wow soon after.
tumblr_ni6tr9uZBQ1takqgxo4_400.gif

Clawww

if terminology for buttons is enough to make someone give up, they weren't going to make it anyway. every game has its own terms that don't make sense. this is hardly a fighter unique issue.

not just other games, but like, anything in life. the FGC has some pretty interesting/fun lingo in general. I can't see that being any kind of hurdle or burden, just an opportunity to learn more. it's not like anyone is trying to intentionally obfuscate.

ShinMaruku

not just other games, but like, anything in life. the FGC has some pretty interesting/fun lingo in general. I can't see that being any kind of hurdle or burden, just an opportunity to learn more. it's not like anyone is trying to intentionally obfuscate.

I think some of this shit is trying to obfuscate. The fuck is shadow play?

I think some of this shit is trying to obfuscate. The fuck is shadow play?

i dont think so. words and meanings spring up from specific areas and experiences. it's on the person coming into a field/area to familiarize themselves with the lingo that sprung from the pioneers or start a movement to replace.

Bizazedo

42 minutes into this 52 minute Youtube clip of Floe listening / eventually calling in to Justin for the Triforce drama.

Hilarious / how the hell did he ever dupe so many people into EMP.

Dahbomb

I get the feeling people are going all Neon Genesis and whatever sounds cool they use and they end up sounding like moon watchers.
Thing is that when mechanics are first discovered in a game, the person who discovers it names it based on what they are feeling. It's the worst when people name tech after themselves (like the V tech in Marvel, no disrespect to the person who discovered it). Then these terms get used so often that they start getting abbreviated online. We used to call enemy step cancel in DMC enemy rebound cancel because the mechanic originated from rebounding from enemies. Later on Capcom actually named the mechanic in game to enemy step but until then people used to call it EBC and anyone who is trying to understand has no clue.

This just comes with the nature of gaming and online culture. Usually these things are discussed online and named/abbreviated online but when used in real life they sound awkward as hell. Like trying to say 236 + K is more awkward than saying "quarter circle motion and kick" though then you are still assuming the other person knows what a circle motion is.

This isn't a fighting game exclusive issue. And not a video game exclusive issue either.

Nightii

Banned
The only kind of notation and terminology I don't respect is when you call something after yourself, or just something that "sounds cool" (tomahawks? really?).

Everything else I accept and learn with no complains.

ShinMaruku

i dont think so. words and meanings spring up from specific areas and experiences. it's on the person coming into a field/area to familiarize themselves with the lingo that sprung from the pioneers or start a movement to replace.

Why you put cleave to things that have nothing to do with the skill and you have people absorbed in their own lingo I think some of them are bellend enough to do it to make people go da fuq when they see their terms. Arena junkies is a strange place. I would assume SRK at one point was like that too.

Naturally it's a human quirk that bugs the fuck outta me because it's often in similar contexts too.

But all I'm saying is sometimes you should laugh at how absurd some of this shit is. XD

Why you put cleave to things that have nothing to do with the skill and you have people absorbed in their own lingo I think some of them are bellend enough to do it to make people go da fuq when they see their terms. Arena junkies is a strange place. I would assume SRK at one point was like that too.

Naturally it's a human quirk that bugs the fuck outta me because it's often in similar contexts too.

But all I'm saying is sometimes you should laugh at how absurd some of this shit is. XD

oh i know .

im still confused why its called a meaty. but alas...

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

ShinMaruku

Wait, Shin is against obtuse names? What dimension did I slip in to?
Misty and Kasumi is quite clear and not obtuse. :p Also I know when I say outlandish shit it's outlandish and a revel in it. And nothing is obtuse about how pulcritudinous some frauen are. If they blush victory is mine.

oh i know .

im still confused why its called a meaty. but alas...

All I'm saying is make people who use it just thing how silly it sounds and make them laugh. Unless they are wow arena players they are insane.

Nyoro SF

Lag as recovery is a weird one for sure but it's a compromise for recovery already being used to refer to recovering to the stage when you're knocked off.

Hm, I don't see why the terms can't be contextually shared, like the way the word "reversal" is, but maybe that's just me.

I also enjoy "wavedash" regardless of game, and "trump" for Smash 4.

Thulius

Hm, I don't see why the terms can't be contextually shared, like the way the word "reversal" is, but maybe that's just me.

I also enjoy "wavedash" regardless of game, and "trump" for Smash 4.

Because some moves with really awful recovery are amazing for recovering, and that's confusing.

jbug617

Banned
NCR is going to put late registers of USF4, UMvC3 and SF5 in their own pool instead of trying to squeeze people into pools.
http://shoryuken.com/2016/02/03/nor...fighter-marvel-registrants-in-separate-pools/
“Note that online pools are typically 16 or 32 man brackets and NCR historically receives over 50 emergency registrations, including many top players,” Choi explained in his official statement. “So it is your choice if you want to wait to do emergency registration, pay more money, and gamble on this final bracket being smaller in number or lacking seeded players.”

Pools for the three aforementioned titles will all run on the same day to avoid players gaming the system and waiting for an easier bracket. Adjustments will be made should the tournament receive zero emergency registrations, but we all know how unlikely that is.

Of course, this also has its downsides, notably for community members who can’t reliably plan for a tournament months in advance. Coupled with the already steep costs of emergency registration, this move could likely prohibit some players from attending the tournament altogether.

Nyoro SF

Because some moves with really awful recovery are amazing for recovering, and that's confusing.

Wouldn't you just say a move is good or bad for stage recovery then?

Because I think to outside viewers, using lag (a term used for all games to refer to netcode delay and display delay, very serious issues) is MUCH worse for confusion, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom