• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

confession I still don't fully understand what trip guard means

I assume because people use it "wrong" constantly, like the word meta
Game companies have adopted that usage of meta so for gamers at large, the wrong definition is now the right one.

And yeah trip guard like fuzzy guard is used incorrectly quite often.

ShinMaruku

Humans are a mess of contradictions. It's what makes them interesting.

I would think you with that username would understand that.

Thulius

Wouldn't you just say a move is good or bad for stage recovery then?

Because I think to outside viewers, using lag (a term used for all games to refer to netcode delay and display delay, very serious issues) is MUCH worse for confusion, IMO.

Yeah, that probably works. It's an ingrained thing though, tough to change. I've noticed some people referring to recovery as cooldown instead which is maybe even more weird coming from other genres, but at least it's not as overtly wrong as lag is.

Some terms remind of of fuckery too. We are at a impasse. Also all this terminology is stupid as all hell and we should laugh at them is my point.

And wizard cleave was excra fucking stupid when there was no warrior with cleave. Then I see shit like "Join me in shadow cleave breh" I quit wow soon after.
tumblr_ni6tr9uZBQ1takqgxo4_400.gif

When I first saw this gif I was at the part where her arms were folded and it looked like she was wearing a Wu Tang top and I was like FUCK YEAH, WU TANG, GIRL. THE WU! *makes W sign*

And then it looped and saw it wasn't a Wu Tang top.

ShinMaruku

With all these guides coming out to new players and old players who you think would be best for new people and who would be best at breaking down systems. I vote VIscant and Ryan Hunter as breaking down games, I am shocked that some of these sponsors don't have people like that on retainer to help get their players even more sharp. I mean Capcom just up and stanched some of them for development. Much respect to Ogawa and his tame as fuck twitter. :p

Nyoro SF

Yeah, that probably works. It's an ingrained thing though, tough to change. I've noticed some people referring to recovery as cooldown instead which is maybe even more weird coming from other genres, but at least it's not as overtly wrong as lag is.

Cooldown is much more nice and sounds a lot more badass, I hope that catches on.
(Maybe I've watched too much mech anime...)

mbpm1

Meaty makes sense. It's a "deep" or "heavy" hit on wakeup.

What if it's a "meaty" st. lk? What's "deep" about a meaty throw? And it doesn't have to be on wakeup to be meaty either.

When people say that with a straight face I let them know what it comes into my mind as. That is how I let them know you can't take that term seriously.

Whenever the person next to me is waking up I love hitting them with a meaty DP. The look on their faces when they feel the fiery sting of a heavy DP Kreygasm

Nightii

Banned
well, yea, but you asked about their names

i looked it up just to be sure and found a video

just looking at Sol, after the instant kill activations, you can easily tell the difference between the taunts and the respects

Yeah, I get that, I was just joking around there, because even if that is their intent, Respects will likely never feel respectful at all for opponents.

I can imagine destroying someone with Sol, dropping a combo to leave the opponent with pixel health and giving him/her the thumbs up...Respect!

notworksafe

Anyone who says you'll do well in Tekken just because you do well in DOA is pulling your leg or doesn't understand how to play Tekken. Now VF is a different story

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What if it's a "meaty" st. lk? What's "deep" about a meaty throw? And it doesn't have to be on wakeup to be meaty.

I think it still applies. Wakeup is the most common use of meaty, but on any recovery really.

The opponent is waking up deep into the active frames/late active frames, or the meat, of the move.

mbpm1

How do you meaty setup without hard knockdowns? I wanted to put pressure after a lariet knockdown with Gief but got jabbed out or thrown.

I got meaty pressure out of anti-air resets more than anything

Fortunately most opponents are jumpy rabbits against gief for some reason

And I assume practice. With hard knockdown I had setups for SF4 Sim and Bison but with a soft KD, air/stand resets seem to be better (like R.Mika's early early resets)

I got meaty pressure out of anti-air resets more than anything

Fortunately most opponents are jumpy rabbits against gief for some reason

I really like that standing HK and Headbutt to deal with jumpers. I wish I could remember to try to EX air SPD them.

mbpm1

And I assume practice. With hard knockdown I had setups for SF4 Sim and Bison but with a soft KD, air/stand resets seem to be better (like R.Mika's early early resets)

I really like that standing HK and Headbutt to deal with jumpers. I wish I could remember to try to EX air SPD them.

I found myself using Cr. Hp, Lariat, and st. jab most. Those are solid buttons.

Lariat has no inv but still has a good hitbox so you can throw it out at a farther range or on non-tight crossups

Cr. HP is a shoto like in it's all purposeness except for losing to crossups or far jumps.

St. jab just works everywhere but far range.

I used the heavier buttons for damage and better discouragement since jab looks puny, and then saved jab for end of round chip damage time when suddenly everyone wants to divekick or cross you up and then get clipped by this harmless looking normal they've not seen the whole match and die.

Rhapsody

Banned

While I'm not Juicebox, I'm going to say it's a good question to ponder about on getting the most out of training mode. You definitely do not want to be one of those people that solely use training for just hours of combo practice.

While I could just give an answer on how to use it more effectively, I think it's sort of better for me to first ask how you're currently using it (and then work you way from that as a starting point)?

Also don't think you need to be in the lab for hours on end. Even 20-30 minutes every now and then is plenty if you know what you're trying to test.

While I'm not Juicebox, I'm going to say it's a good question to ponder about on getting the most out of training mode. You definitely do not want to be one of those people that solely use training for just hours of combo practice.

While I could just give an answer on how to use it more effectively, I think it's sort of better for me to first ask how you're currently using it (and then work you way from that as a starting point)?

Also don't think you need to be in the lab for hours on end. Even 20-30 minutes every now and then is plenty if you know what you're trying to test.

I'm definitely not one of those combo people.

How I use training mode now:

Finding the length of normals
practicing execution and input
how to punish/beat moves
block/tech practice

But it feels like I skimp on my training room duties and I'd like to be more scientific in my approach.

mbpm1

It's not time in the lab that matters, but how you use it. If you can get your knowledge and execution down in 20-30 minutes at a time, do that.

But it feels like I skimp on my training room duties and I'd like to be more scientific in my approach.

It feels like? You'd have to be more specific to figure out what's lacking.

I found myself using Cr. Hp, Lariat, and st. jab most. Those are solid buttons.

Lariat has no inv but still has a good hitbox so you can throw it out at a farther range or on non-tight crossups

Cr. HP is a shoto like in it's all purposeness except for losing to crossups or far jumps.

St. jab just works everywhere but far range.

I used the heavier buttons for damage and better discouragement since jab looks puny, and then saved jab for end of round chip damage time when suddenly everyone wants to divekick or cross you up and then get clipped by this harmless looking normal they've not seen the whole match and die.

Gief Bros!
I will definitely check out the Cr. HP. I only used st.jab to tick SPD/test my range.

It's not time in the lab that matters, but how you use it. If you can get your knowledge and execution down in 20-30 minutes at a time, do that.

It feels like? You'd have to be more specific to figure out what's lacking.

Well, I mean, look at the video I link in my post. And look at the brain based player. These players find all the available options for most moves and it seems to be a viable strategy.

mbpm1

Gief Bros!
I will definitely check out the Cr. HP. I only used st.jab to tick SPD/test my range.

S P D B O Y S

I think st. jab will be used that way a lot as time goes on. It's like the anti-air version of Abel's standing light kick

Well, I mean, look at the video I link in my post. And look at the brain based player. These players find all the available options for most moves and it seems to be a viable strategy.

Ah okay. So then you already know what you want to do then.

The best way to get good use out of training mode is to know exactly why you're going in there. You only need 5-10 minutes to test any one thing. If you're there for more than 10 minutes, either you need help learning -how- to test things or you're aimlessly pressing buttons.

Now if you had a list of things to test, or if there's a combo you keep dropping that you REEEEEEALLY want to give some dedicated practice to, then I can understand being there for 30 minutes or more.

The point is, don't dawdle. Training room is like your bathroom. You dont hang out in there, you go there when you have specific, timely business to attend to.

Edit: Combo training shouldn't take too long, either. 5-15 minutes is long enough.

Thulius

how to punish/beat moves
block/tech practice

You're already miles ahead of most new players if you're actually using training mode to practice punishes. Doesn't matter how long your sessions are as long as you go in with a goal. If you spend 20 minutes in training mode and don't feel the drive to keep going, whatever, just play some matches or do something else. Any time you find yourself in an unfamiliar situation, try to make a mental note of it and you'll have more stuff to practice next time.

Maybe I feel the way I do because I'm coming off of USFIV which has 40+ characters and that's not nearly enough to get accustomed to match up knowledge and know how to punish/beat most moves. I came into that game late and skipped AE so I felt overwhelmed with the amount I had to learn with Ultra.

Maybe SFV will be better for me because it starts with 16 characters and there's less match ups to master?

Edit: Combo training shouldn't take too long, either. 5-15 minutes is long enough.

Lord Knight in his fighting game series to not spend more than an hour on a combo. He suggests spending more than 15 minutes on a combo.

You're already miles ahead of most new players if you're actually using training mode to practice punishes. Doesn't matter how long your sessions are as long as you go in with a goal. If you spend 20 minutes in training mode and don't feel the drive to keep going, whatever, just play some matches or do something else. Any time you find yourself in an unfamiliar situation, try to make a mental note of it and you'll have more stuff to practice next time.

Sounds like I'm using training mode right then.

Rhapsody

Banned

how to punish/beat moves
block/tech practice

Ah, ok, this is a good starting point. I feel like you're on the right track on what makes training mode time effective. I think the biggest thing is to have a sense of direction and not make training mode so aimless. So basically try to have something in mind when you're going in there. For example if you're figuring out punishes, I wouldn't try to overextend and spend hours a day going through the cast. Spending just several minutes against moves in a MU you just fought is plenty enough at times. Aimless training mode can leave you bored and tire yourself out, I really don't recommend it.

Execution, I can't stress enough to not just practice a combo on a stationary opponent. You'll get bored and you might choke when you're fighting a moving opponent. Emulate situations on starting your combos. Do it off of an empty jump low. Record the dummy to move left and right and then try to get a good feel on the range and confirm. Practice off of whiff punishes, practice off of crossunders, etc.

There's no shame in not being able to lab things to the extent of like shadyk stuff. You can let the lab monsters do that for you if you want. Just make sure to have a goal when you hit up training mode. I really suggest using training mode as a way to recall things you just had problems with that day.

Being a scientific player, not everyone has it. And sometimes to be one, you really need a good grasp on the game or how things just happen to work in fighters. I'm able to figure out things like OSes or setups because these things accumulated over time. SFIV is the first game you took seriously to this extent, so don't worry if you're not able to figure out new stuff on your own quickly. It's more important to figure out how to deal with stuff more at the start.

Coda

Are any stream monsters interested in buying a practically new Avermedia LGX (Live Gamer Extreme) capture device from me? I put a post in the BUY/SELL/TRADE thread but I feel like more people here would be interested. It needs a USB 3.0 port to work and unfortunately I only have USB 2.0 ports on my computer so I'm looking to sell it to someone in need of a capture device. Let me know by shooting me a PM if you're interested.

Comes practically new with all included cables (HDMI, USB, Component adapter, PS2 adapter cable, 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm headphone cable), original packaging, manuals and free month of Xsplit giftcard.

Asking $165 which includes shipping charges. Please PM me if you are interested and I will give you my Paypal email. Thanks!

20160123_222037_zpsxrkcrwiv.jpg

Anne

Remember something can hit meaty without there being a knockdown :T only requirement is the move hit on a frame later than the first active. There are some interesting standing meaty situations that exist.

Just saying for the sake of terminology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom