• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry1594

You guys think Alex will be godlike in sf5 if they don't change him much?
Mainly asking Q since he seems to have played 3s the most lol

Owensboro

I asked in the Fighting Game Noob thread but I might as well cross-pollinate.

Question for Pad Players: Is there a good tutorial somewhere that shows the best way to hold a controller for Street Fighter? Is the FightPad (6 face buttons) worth the purchase? Is holding it significantly different than a regular controller?

Reason: I began having wrist problems around 2-3 years ago and they just aren't going away. It's severely cut back on my ability to play games that require a lot of wrist movement/repetitive clicking (MMOs, MOBAs, most PC FPS's, etc) and in the end it affected my SF FightStick play. I can wear wrist braces and play for a night if I want, but it always takes a day or two of resting to get over the discomfort/pain. I have almost no problems playing with a regular controller on PS4 and was hoping a switch to pad would reduce the next-day-pain. I know that certain players (SnakeEyez, L(o)uffy) use pad, but can't find any kind of tutorial on how to hold it or a comparison of grips (like you see with sticks). Anyone got anything?

BadWolf

Question for Pad Players: Is there a good tutorial somewhere that shows the best way to hold a controller for Street Fighter? Is the FightPad (6 face buttons) worth the purchase? Is holding it significantly different than a regular controller?

Reason: I began having wrist problems around 2-3 years ago and they just aren't going away. It's severely cut back on my ability to play games that require a lot of wrist movement/repetitive clicking (MMOs, MOBAs, most PC FPS's, etc) and in the end it affected my SF FightStick play. I can wear wrist braces and play for a night if I want, but it always takes a day or two of resting to get over the discomfort/pain. I have almost no problems playing with a regular controller on PS4 and was hoping a switch to pad would reduce the next-day-pain. I know that certain players (SnakeEyez, L(o)uffy) use pad, but can't find any kind of tutorial on how to hold it or a comparison of grips (like you see with sticks). Anyone got anything?

Some people like to place the right side of the pad on their knee so they can use more than one finger on the face buttons.

Personally when playing on pad I play on the Dualshock and do so like I would with any other game, with both hands on the pad.

The left thumb on the d-pad, the right thumb on the face buttons, and the index and middle fingers on the collar buttons (R1/R2 for HP/HK and L1/L2 for shortcuts to multi button presses).

Try both and see which feels more comfortable for you. If you can't get accustomed to the d-pad then try the left analog stick, it can feel kind of like a mini arcade stick for the thumb.

CO_Andy

Now that plinking has been removed there's a lot reason to play "claw-style" and to adjust to a 6 face button layout. You should be perfectly fine playing on any standard controller, although you'll probably want a fightpad for a decent dpad.

This is the pad i've been playing on since forever:

sexbox.jpg

Hands down one of the best dpads for fighting games. Won't need to daisy chain adapters now that i'm on PC.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You guys think Alex will be godlike in sf5 if they don't change him much?
Mainly asking Q since he seems to have played 3s the most lol

Yup, he has all the tools to wreck shit. If he gets to keep his stomp cross ups then LOL

He has Rush in tools that are safe on block, an amazing normal for footsies mid screen, high damage, good anti air, and an overhead/low/throw/left right mix up game.

With parry gone he becomes a beast.

Yup, he has all the tools to wreck shit. If he gets to keep his stomp cross ups then LOL

He has Rush in tools that are safe on block, an amazing normal for footsies mid screen, high damage, good anti air, and an overhead/low/throw/left right mix up game.

With parry gone he becomes a beast.
Assuming he has more ways to combo into Boomerang Raid, Slash Elbow, his powerbomb has a bit less start up and his spiral DDT is faster. He'll make Zangief look tame to say the least.

Edit: Everyone is dead if his Stungun Headbutt makes it into the game in some shape or form.

Coda

Now that plinking has been removed there's a lot reason to play "claw-style" and to adjust to a 6 face button layout. You should be perfectly fine playing on any standard controller, although you'll probably want a fightpad for a decent dpad.

This is the pad i've been playing on since forever:

Hands down one of the best dpads for fighting games. Won't need to daisy chain adapters now that i'm on PC.

Nah, I'd argue that this is the best pad for fighting games mainly because of the six button layout. It's also what I have and use. But I mainly play fighting games on stick anyway.

img5253e7f494477_l.jpg

Shouta

Do you have issues using all your fingers or is it just related to your wrist?

If you can use a ps4 pad without any problems then I'd recommend NuckleDu style where he uses a ton of buttons on the shoulders so he can use more fingers instead of just the thumb for lights and mediuns with the pointer for heavy and triples

Kumubou

this really depends on the person and the game. Muscle memory doesnt come easily to a lot of people
I think the issue there is that if you practice a combo for an hour and can't do it... you're not going to be able to do it in the next hour. The timing and muscle memory isn't there yet. And if you're doing some extreme grinding, you're going to get mentally and physically tired at some point and you really won't be able to do it. If you're trying to learn something very difficult, what you should be doing is spending 30-60 minutes drilling it and then coming back to it the next day. Give yourself a bit of a mental break. I've seen similar experiences with a lot of music-rhythm games.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

I hold it like this with the center of my thumb joint over the middle of the dpad, this lets you do every possible motion with almost no movement. On the other side I hold it same way but a bit lower so I can hit the buttons with the top of my thumbs bottom, Same reasoning as the otherside, lets you hit as many things with as little movement as possible and makes it so pressing two buttons at once isn't an issue.

Never hold it so your thumbs all curved and trying to press shit with the tip slows you down too much.

Coda

My issue with playing on pad has always been movement precision. I always jump when I don't want to or can't successfully play footsies as well. I never really had a problem with executing moves on pad but movement for me is the major issue. Blocking complex block strings always seemed more difficult as well. Once I converted to stick I never went back.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
My issue with playing on pad has always been movement precision. I always jump when I don't want to or can't successfully play footsies as well. I never really had a problem with executing moves on pad but movement for me is the major issue. Once I converted to stick I never went back.

PS pads have it so everything is connected to one big center thingy.

So the left button doesn't really only input left, if you hit left with downwards momentum you will get left-> down left, and the same for upwards. Once you have a firm grasp of that you can actually input shit super fast and do stuff super fast xD

It's why Instant air dashing in an ArcSys game is super easy on pad.

If you are jumping when you don't want to then you are applying force to the pad wrong unintentionally, which is why I play with my thumb centered on it like in the picture.

IDK if you are gonna do the method of playing with your hands like it's a mini arcade stick then just use an arcade stick xD

That was always my thought process too. I usually have my thumb resting in the space between the 4 buttons on each side so I can press whatever I need to, whenever I need to. 6 face buttons messes that up.

jerry1594

Assuming he has more ways to combo into Boomerang Raid, Slash Elbow, his powerbomb has a bit less start up and his spiral DDT is faster. He'll make Zangief look tame to say the least.

Edit: Everyone is dead if his Stungun Headbutt makes it into the game in some shape or form.
You just need to jab him out of the air when he does it lol, it would probably still suck. Cinematic stun gun could be a problem though lol
I could never use a pad on my leg or whatever but dpad is a lot easier to use than stick. I can see why people would play like that. Not a fan of shoulder buttons especially analog but they can be easier to use.
Get one of those ugly custom controller/stick hybrids for the best of both worlds

Skilletor

IDK if you are gonna do the method of playing with your hands like it's a mini arcade stick then just use an arcade stick xD 6button pads are slower to me but everyone has their preferences :p

That was always my thought process too. I usually have my thumb resting in the space between the 4 buttons on each side so I can press whatever I need to, whenever I need to. 6 face buttons messes that up.

Because a pad and a stick are different input methods is the obvious answer to that question. It's not usually the buttons that put people from stick to pad or vice versa, but the pad and the stick.

If I'm playing on a pad (I can for 3D fighters, although it isn't preferred), I prefer all of my buttons in laid out, just as I would on a stick.

I'm just surprised someone finds a pad to be more ergonomic than a stick- it's the exact opposite for me.

I had to forfeit a tournament in loser's quarters or semis (it's been a while, I can't remember) because, while the tournament had both systems for setups, I only had a PS3 controller. Someone offered me a stick to use, but after one "why not" round, I had to give up.

I've played fighters on pad my entire life, so they don't feel alien to me at all like sticks do.

FACE

Banned
I'd be cool if Ibuki had Kunai as her v-skill as long as she could also throw it from the ground like in Omega.

DunpealD

I'm definitely not one of those combo people.

How I use training mode now:

Finding the length of normals
practicing execution and input
how to punish/beat moves
block/tech practice

But it feels like I skimp on my training room duties and I'd like to be more scientific in my approach.

My suggestion is, if you aren't doing it yet.
Is to add this. People seem to like focusing on the "combo" alone, but you also have to think about "How to successfully get to use the combo" and "What can I do after the combo? Pressure? Meter build? Return to neutral?"

For example SFV Ryu has 4 different tatsus.
LK Tatsu pushes opponent away to corner and can lead to follow up super
MK Tatsu moves yourself and your opponent to corner
HK Tatsu switches sides but keeps you at point blank of your opponent and ignores the back roll, because the opponent will roll "into you".
EX Tatsu does max damage out of all Tatsus and blows opponent full screen and can combo into EX DP in corner.

Now onto theory how to get to use them in combos:
First thing you think about is, which normal can be cancelled and combo'd into these moves. The answer is st.LK(only works with LK and MK Tatsu), st.MP, cr. MP, cr.MK and cr.HP. Possibly st.LP and cr.LP, I forgot to test them.

All Tatsus except EX requires the opponent to stand. So you have to think how to use the other ones AND HK Tatsu cannot be combo'd into by lights.

All Tatsus sans EX:
If they already stand you can tatsu away.
If they are crouching you have to force them to stand. Luckily there are moves that does force he opponent to stand on hit.
These are:
cr.HP, can combo into any Tatsu
b.HK, can combo into st.lk which can lead to either LK or MK Tatsu, due to lower hitstun. BUT when you manage to hit it as a late meaty then linking it into st.MP is possible

You can recognize the next problem. Neither are moves you usually use. Which means you have to think how to utilize both attacks. In this case you have 2 options:
a) Combo into it
b) It is slow and cannot combo into it. Which means I have to use it different.

cr.HP falls into point a)
You can combo into it with st.MP or close enough f.HP.
You can do a st.MP after a jump in and use it to hit confirm, if st.MP hits you go for cr.HP and if it gets blocked you go for either nothing or just another st.MP to frame trap. If the second st.MP hits you can cancel it into any Tatsu if the opponents stands, EX Tatsu for max damage and crouching opponent or Hadoken for return to neutral and EX Hadoken for soft knockdown.

b.HK b) while f.HP is a weird mix of a) and b) since it can lead into cr.HP.
b.HK can be used for meaty to hit confirm, same applies to f.HP. But f.HP has the additional property of moving forward so you can use it in relatively close proximity when you expect the opponent to not intercept you. Both attacks are safe on block and slow enough to hitconfirm.

Now you managed to hit the combo now what?
LK and EX Tatsu returns to neutral. Self explanatory, but both have additional uses see above.
MK Tatsu moves you forward and if the opponent does back roll you return to neutral(or maybe even jump in chance). Not sure about quick stand, but it should leave the opponent close enough to continue pressure.
HK Tatsu switches sides and leaves you point blank. Which means you can go for meaty, back throw or read a reversal and punish it.
Hadoken returns to neutral.
EX Hadoken knocks opponent down and enables you to move forward and push further to corner (and maybe even jump in, not sure about this).

This is just an example. But you should get the gist of it.

maybe ya'll caught it but heres kaz vs momochi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO-WWgXiqpQ

fang included

Something I noticed about FANG's poison, is that if you have grey life, it doesn't recover if you're poisoned; because your life bar drains at about the same speed that the gray life recovers.

Very interesting. Makes his footsies a bit more deadlier, since he can do more damage if he makes you block his mediums while poisoned.

Dual Shock 4 banned at EVO. Really sucks. Those Mad Catz fight pads suck. IDK what I'd have done if I was competing. I haven't followed if there's good DS2 converters or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom