• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
it takes a TO 15 seconds to unpair a controller though, thats a lot of players they are hurting for a minor inconvenience

it hurts every game, but definitely mortal kombat the most

It hurts the future of Tekken too. EVO was the only major that banned DualSock 3, the most used controller type in the United States for the game. It hurt attendance & despite every other major running DS3 & not having an issue they refused to allow it.

Kumubou

Blame Sony for making the DS4 basically Bluetooth only.
Huh? The DS4 has a dedicated wired-only mode -- that's how you use it on computers with no Bluetooth support.

However, it is consistent with Evo banning DS3 pads during the whole PS3 era -- but the difference there was most players could just run a PS2 adapter and wire up. Whereas now the only real viable solution is to use a Brook converter and connect a PS3 pad to it. The Brook converter is legal (barring any last-second lockouts from Sony -- and they've been good about resolving those issues) and (IIRC) dongle-based wireless devices have always been legal at Evo as they don't present the Player 3 pause issue that system-bound ones do.

The one huge difference now is that DS4s can be manually unpaired from the console, which means that players can be responsible for desyncing controllers and as long as judges make sure to wipe each setup between pools, it would be relatively easy to find out who was responsible for an external pause. This kind of asses out MK and Tekken players (and T7 last year did allow DS4 pads).

Tripon

Huh? The DS4 has a dedicated wired-only mode -- that's how you use it on computers with no Bluetooth support.

However, it is consistent with Evo banning DS3 pads during the whole PS3 era -- but the difference there was most players could just run a PS2 adapter and wire up. Whereas now the only real viable solution is to use a Brook converter and connect a PS3 pad to it. The Brook converter is legal (barring any last-second lockouts from Sony -- and they've been good about resolving those issues) and (IIRC) dongle-based wireless devices have always been legal at Evo as they don't present the Player 3 pause issue that system-bound ones do.

The one huge difference now is that DS4s can be manually unpaired from the console, which means that players can be responsible for desyncing controllers and as long as judges make sure to wipe each setup between pools, it would be relatively easy to find out who was responsible for an external pause. This kind of asses out MK and Tekken players (and T7 last year did allow DS4 pads).

On the PS4, it's still paired even after you pull the USB cord. That's why it's an issue.

CO_Andy

Nah, I'd argue that this is the best pad for fighting games mainly because of the six button layout. It's also what I have and use. But I mainly play fighting games on stick anyway.

img5253e7f494477_l.jpg
The Sega Saturn dpad is good, but it's very to hard to perform SPDs consistently on it (or at all) in old SF games. Also have a problem with the dpad being wide and the fact it's on the far left side of the controller. Hardly anyone talks about the Saturn 3D controller, but i think it's a better fightpad than the standard version. The dpad is functionally the same but it's in a much more natural position for your thumb. The shoulder buttons not having to require a hard press is another benefit.

jbug617

Banned
DS4 are unbanned. You can be DQ if you don't unpair the controller from the console after your match.

@EvilMrWizard: We are going to unban the DualShock 4 for this years event. Players are responsible for unpairing them after your match with the console.
@EvilMrWizard: Any player that doesn't unpair the DS4 from the console after their match risks disqualification from the event.

Shouta

On the PS4, it's still paired even after you pull the USB cord. That's why it's an issue.

Removing the battery should fix that lol but yeah you can have someone delete it before their next match. I did that when I played MKX and it worked fine.

Zissou

I had to forfeit a tournament in loser's quarters or semis (it's been a while, I can't remember) because, while the tournament had both systems for setups, I only had a PS3 controller. Someone offered me a stick to use, but after one "why not" round, I had to give up.

I've played fighters on pad my entire life, so they don't feel alien to me at all like sticks do.

Not saying pads aren't viable and of course you're best at playing on what you're used to. Just saying in terms of hand/wrist health and comfort, sticks seem better. I mean, there's a reason smash players have hand problems, right?

I had to forfeit a tournament in loser's quarters or semis (it's been a while, I can't remember) because, while the tournament had both systems for setups, I only had a PS3 controller. Someone offered me a stick to use, but after one "why not" round, I had to give up.

I've played fighters on pad my entire life, so they don't feel alien to me at all like sticks do.

This is one of the main reasons I'm switching to stick.

I'm sick and tired of being in an environment where I can't use my pad because they don't have the right system. Even if they're playing on Xbox One, and I can't use my MCZ stick, if someone offers a stick, I'll be able to play that.

Being in a place where someone offers you a way to play the game but you can't play the game is so, so frustrating. It took one night of that for me to say,"fuck it, switching to stick. What if this happened at a tournament?" In fact, I couldn't even participate in the SFIV tournament because they were on 360's, I didn't know stick, and my controller is for ps3/ps4.

Missing out on the last SFIV tourney in my area - which would have been a valuable learning experience - because I can't play stick was enough for me to switch over.

Shouta

Not saying pads aren't viable and of course you're best at playing on what you're used to. Just saying in terms of hand/wrist health and comfort, sticks seem better. I mean, there's a reason smash players have hand problems, right?

That's because Smash players have to hit a ton of fucking buttons more than we do to play at the top level, lol

Melee players do because of so many fucking actions lol. I've never used characters that require movement like that, so it's never been an issue for me.

I'm sick and tired of being in an environment where I can't use my pad because they don't have the right system. Even if they're playing on Xbox One, and I can't use my MCZ stick, if someone offers a stick, I'll be able to play that.

Being in a place where someone offers you a way to play the game but you can't play the game is so, so frustrating. It took one night of that for me to say,"fuck it, switching to stick. What if this happened at a tournament?" In fact, I couldn't even participate in the SFIV tournament because they were on 360's, I didn't know stick, and my controller is for ps3/ps4.

Missing out on the last SFIV tourney in my area - which would have been a valuable learning experience - because I can't play stick was enough for me to switch over.

Bear in mind that my situation was years ago before everyone had settled on an official system for tournaments. I wouldn't have the same issue now because I would know ahead of time if I should bring a PS3 controller, or my 360 converter.

Coda

Learning stick is definitely extremely valuable when it comes to playing with what most people play with. My stick is so customized now with better Sanwa buttons than the OBSF-30s, I have the RG version which feels way better IMO and my Hori Hayabusa joystick so when I even try to play someone else's stick it feels somewhat foreign to me.

notworksafe

i told y'all DS4 was gonna be banned in 2016 a year ago. i asked wizard about it and posted his response here. mothafuckas could have had year early breaking news.

notworksafe

tbh i think they should stay banned unless your battery is removed. evo judges are pretty garbo and problems will happen for sure. yet another reason i'll be glad to not be attending the shitshow this year.

wizard creating a shittier tournament environment cause he's scared that arena won't get filled unless he bows to the pressure.

Bizazedo

tbh i think they should stay banned unless your battery is removed. evo judges are pretty garbo and problems will happen for sure. yet another reason i'll be glad to not be attending the shitshow this year.

wizard creating a shittier tournament environment cause he's scared that arena won't get filled unless he bows to the pressure.

What if the event turns out great?

notworksafe

then that would be great. but i remember the last time they allowed bluetooth controllers in an SF event, it was a mess.

even then the best parts of evo for me are gone, so the event would still be subpar.

what SF game were bluetooth controllers allowed in last year?
unless they made a special rule just for street fighter, DS4s were allowed last year

EDIT: forgot they moved 4 back to 360, still, 360 doesnt have bluetooth so it wasnt possible. Either way, DS4s were allowed last year and were using in persona, guilty gear, mortal kombat, with zero issues

notworksafe

USF4 was on Xbox 360

Your examples are much smaller games and not really comparable. The amount of issues caused by DS3 in 2009 was fucking ridiculous

notworksafe

Understandable but there is such a small chance that EVO judges will enforce the unpair rule. They were supposed to make people pair their DS3 with a separate pairing station so that you wouldn't interrupt games, which almost no one did.

Understandable but there is such a small chance that EVO judges will enforce the unpair rule. They were supposed to make people pair their DS3 with a separate pairing station so that you wouldn't interrupt games, which almost no one did.
fortunately with PS4 the pressure wont be 100% on each player, TOs should be checking each console before/after each pool to make sure everything is unpaired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom