• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter0611

Yeah, making good video game AI is tough and the fighting game genre makes it even more difficult. Also, the devs don't give a damn about improving them.

AI Decapre and Blanka can use their hand specials from a completely neutral state. That's even worse than frame perfect timing or the reading inputs nonsense. You're basically violating the input rules of those moves.

Beckx

two hours til they announce Kazuya in Smash.

The screen for beating SNES SF2 (WW) on highest difficulty without losing was the best. (but even highest difficulty was way easier than the arcade)

Beckx

Do you learn anything by fighting an almost perfect cpu like st's? Does it reinforce good habits or something?

I don't know what the common wisdom is, but my thoughts:

you can perfect your execution of moves under pressure

you will use cheese to win that you should never use in real matches (like, god damn LabZero, you had to make Filia insane to beat at any level of Fukua's story mode so I'm going to cheese slides every time she jumps)

El Sloth

Banned
Wait, what?
Arcade sticks works great for old school type games, shmups, Contra, TMNT, Streets of Rage, etc...

Edit: wait, doesn't Binding of Isaac need two sticks?!
Many people on PC play with no sticks at all! lol

I just configure my buttons on PC using joy2key. I don't know if the console BoI let's you customize your controls the way you want. My layout:

Shoot Left - Shoot Up - Shoot Right
Shoot Down - Bombs - Item

And I just have the two further most right buttons mapped to "Bombs" as well. It's a pretty fun way to play, at least I think it is.

Beckx

Many people on PC play with no sticks at all! lol

I just configure my buttons on PC using joy2key.

OMG, single most annoying thing about BoI on PC right there.

One of the reasons I love my Steam controller is that BoI is no longer a pain. Movement on left stick (assigned to WASD) and face buttons for shooting.

Oh, amending an answer I gave weeks ago about using Steam controller for fighting games: once I switched it so that the left stick output a digital d-pad, I was happier using it. I'd say it sits somewhere between using a normal dualshock/x360 controller and using a fightpad. I still would rather just plug in my arcade stick to the pc, but I've been using it for convenience when playing the NeoGeo HB games and it's fine.

Dahbomb

Do you learn anything by fighting an almost perfect cpu like st's? Does it reinforce good habits or something?
I practiced playing safe/spacing in Tekken's hardest CPU. Basically no high low mix ups work against the CPU, no throws work and if you do a slower than normal move they always hit you out of it. So I basically just play the space game and just wait for the CPU to do a slow move then whiff punish for big damage.

It's useful when you're super free at fighting games like I am, because I get a really competent practice partner with infinite patience that I won't get too salty losing to. It's unfortunate that it's such a low priority in fighting game design nowadays, which is understandable, but I sort of miss good CPUs.

notworksafe

It want to see an Adam Sandler flick

Ufbr5ej.gif

Beckx

Hell yeah, Fates protag in smash. Fates was one of my favorite games this year.

Fire Emblem haters are gonna be mad....

petghost

Banned
The thing that worries me when playing a perfect cpu like st is that it will teach hard rules that aren't nearly as hard when playing a human like don't throw a fireball when they can jump in and punish or don't jump in when they can dp. Both are generally good advice but those risks are a big part of the game as well.

I'm shit at st too kotaku so if you wanna learn together that'd be fun.

Shun

I loved Fire Emblem If so I am very happy about Kamui but I don't want to wait 3 months but I understand because western game release.

Cloud is Order Sol. Kazunoko play now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom