• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't put it that way, although it can work out that way. I think the focus is to get more players from different regions. Traveling to ranking events outside of your region can still be beneficial, it's just that you better win to make it count so you can have a spot in the regional qualifier in case you need it. Otherwise it was sort of a wasted trip and the only reason to keep going is if you need points for the Global leaderboard or you still haven't given up on trying to qualify for the regional qualifier. That's the pros and cons that people need to weigh if they decide to travel abroad for a ranking event.

Getting more players from different regions is fine, but that's assuming the players are better than the players from other regions. I really don't care about international presence compared to a stronger field. I would rather watch the best go at it.

shaowebb

$50k for top 8 at EVO this year

Wait what? Thats $400000 total if all 8 get winners get that. Still only $800,000 if you gave it to losers too. Is the $50 million number coming from the grand total number of payouts they'll be puttin in on the rest of the year at other tournaments? Respectable as fuck no matter if its anywhere close to $50 million considering the huge dollars there, but I'm still confused...why was $50 million brought up here? Was it just clowning around at these huge numbers?

Producer

Wait what? Thats $400000 total if all 8 get winners get that. Still only $800,000 if you gave it to losers too. Is the $50 million number coming from the grand total number of payouts they'll be puttin in on the rest of the year at other tournaments? Respectable as fuck no matter if its anywhere close to $50 million considering the huge dollars there, but I'm still confused...why was $50 million brought up here? Was it just clowning around at these huge numbers?

No, just 50k for Evo. Lol

Kumubou

Getting more players from different regions is fine, but that's assuming the players are better than the players from other regions. I really don't care about international presence compared to a stronger field. I would rather watch the best go at it.
I suspect they want to avoid what happened with the early Starcraft 2 WCS seasons where they ended up with 31 or 32 Koreans in a 32-man bracket. They're giving up a little competition to get more engagement.

It's $50,000 added to Evo and it's still $500,000 base across the whole CPT. They haven't announced anything beyond that (although crowdfunding has been hinted at).

US Midwest has as many CPT ranking events as Costa Rica.

East coast has New York, Philly, Jersey, and Charlotte. Texas has three events. West Coast has Sacramento, LA x 2, Vegas and Seattle.

Meanwhile if you live anywhere in-between you got Chicago, Atlanta, or Orlando... unless you want to fly or are pro lol. Yikes

CurlyW

The American mid-west is quite a bit larger than Costa Rica.

I was referring to Texas (or California, or the NY/NJ/PA corridor)

East coast has New York, Philly, Jersey, and Charlotte. Texas has three events. West Coast has Sacramento, LA x 2, Vegas and Seattle.

Meanwhile if you live anywhere in-between you got Chicago, Atlanta, or Orlando... unless you want to fly or are pro lol. Yikes

Charlotte is not really the traditional FGC version of East Coast. It's far away from even the Raleigh-Durham area.

shaowebb

No, just 50k for Evo. Lol

It's $50,000 added to Evo and it's still $500,000 base across the whole CPT. They haven't announced anything beyond that (although crowdfunding has been hinted at).

Oh okay cool. Sorry, I'm still in literal mode. I touched my software stuff. Takes me awhile to switch back. Still thats a shitload of cash though.

Congratulations folks. We have a game, a literal season with point rankings and seeded slots to win, payouts of notable stature and coverage of star players, training and espn now kissing our ass. We made it...we are an official sport now. Suck it rest of the world.
E-sports coming for your ratings and merchandise deals next.

I was referring to Texas (or California, or the NY/NJ/PA corridor)

Charlotte is not really the traditional FGC version of East Coast. It's far away from even the Raleigh-Durham area.

That's definitely true, and Seattle really isn't close to the SoCal region either. My point was if you live anywhere in-between the coasts your kind of screwed. Personally think one could of went to St. Louis, KC, or Denver.

CurlyW

That's definitely true, and Seattle really isn't close to the SoCal region either. My point was if you live anywhere in-between the coasts your kind of screwed. Personally think one could of went to St. Louis, KC, or Denver.

There isn't really an event in any of those places notable enough to potentially be on the CPT.

The ones that I know of that got passed over were Youmacon and the misleadingly-named MWC.

I will readily admit that the midwest is short on events ever since Season's Beatings and Power Up died.

Tripon

PS4 makes you a scrub.

Cao00PfUUAAYeRM.jpg

There isn't really an event in any of those places notable enough to potentially be on the CPT.

The ones that I know of that got passed over were Youmacon and the misleadingly-named MWC.

I will readily admit that the midwest is short on events ever since Season's Beatings and Power Up died.

Yeah I understand.

As a Michigander seeing Youma on the list would have been dope hahah. Pretty late in the year if I remember correctly though (like Oct/Nov).

Tripon

Let's be real, Infiltration will still travel all over the world to clean up ranking points so he can grab a high seed again.

I touched on that in my first post about CPT 2016. It seems they're making it a bigger priority to get players from other parts of the world this year And I think Keoma played a huge role in that. Unfortunately this may mean that Capcom Cup 2016 won't feel the best 32 players possible. But that's a sacrifice they're willing to make. I'm on the fence about that. I like the idea, but it's going to suck knowing some very good players could be left out to make room for weaker players because of where they're from.

Another thing I noticed is that they didn't release the point system. They may keep it the way it has been the past couple of years but I do hope they revise it. I don't want it to be so top heavy. It makes it impossible to make up ground unless you finish in the top 4. So hopefully it's a little more balanced this year.

he was talking about competitively. He said he feels Daigo was top tier when he first started playing. Which is true since Daigo was one of the youngest people to win a Japan tournament in SF2.

He did start winning very young, but I hope he realizes that Daigo is famed for how much time he dedicates into practicing. He's like Jordan in that sense. Yeah, he's insanely talented, but he combines that with non stop practicing.

I touched on that in my first post about CPT 2016. It seems they're making it a bigger priority to get players from other parts of the world this year And I think Keoma played a huge role in that. Unfortunately this may mean that Capcom Cup 2016 won't feel the best 32 players possible. But that's a sacrifice they're willing to make. I'm on the fence about that. I like the idea, but it's going to suck knowing some very good players could be left out to make room for weaker players because of where they're from.

Another thing I noticed is that they didn't release the point system. They may keep it the way it has been the past couple of years but I do hope they revise it. I don't want it to be so top heavy. It makes it impossible to make up ground unless you finish in the top 4. So hopefully it's a little more balanced this year.

I don't know. I just think it's kind of dumb that Japan gets only 3 events even though historically they've been the strongest country. You would think they would get more than 3 events in a year. Even Brazil and China get more events. Yeah they'll travel, but wouldn't it be more fair if they had gotten more events? They still have a lot of players that are really good, but don't travel out of Japan. Why not give those players a break?

vulva

Listening to this best of 3 show... Hamad showed up just now talking about how he can beat Elena or play against her with Fei... when he's supposed to be asking KBR a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom