• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
is zoning in SFV pretty much the same as in IV? i know every character has like 5 answers to habdookin
The characters dedicated to zoning are stronger in V than they are in IV. Dhalsim (and F.A.N.G. as well at first glance) both have tools that mess with the anti-fireball manoeuvres that other characters have at their disposal, never mind systems like white health or poison being very beneficial for long-range strategies. No universal gimmick like Focus Attacks is also a boon to their playstyle.

shaowebb

HE'S JUST SPAMMING WITH NO SKILL

Reminds me of the guy on the Nitroplus Facebook group today.
If any of you are lvl 3 spamming scrubs don't play me if you see CFC trunks and you can't win without your lvl 3 I will quit out you have been warned.

Boy was THAT the wrong thing to put out there on a serious group. Learn to play. The game only HAS 3 bars period so good luck spamming them lol.

Reminds me of the guy on the Nitroplus Facebook group today.

Boy was THAT the wrong thing to put out there on a serious group. Learn to play. The game only HAS 3 bars period so good luck spamming them lol.

Some of the level 3's are scary good~ I've been hit Muramasa's robot slash waaaaay too often.

I don't dislike it though. They're allowed to be good.

shaowebb

Some of the level 3's are scary good~ I've been hit Muramasa's robot slash waaaaay too often.

I don't dislike it though. They're allowed to be good.

Oh definitely. They're a level 3 in a game that uses meter for lots of stuff yet only has a maximum of 3 bars. They're SUPPOSED to be good. You generally net more from Variable Rush and Infinite Blast combos being combined together through assists, but you may well drop the soap. If lvl 3 is on deck and it'll kill confirm and use it.

And yeah, Muramasa's lvl 3 is great. I love using her. Muramasa+ Dragon assist is like custom combo heaven. No matter what it'll work.

i'm not paying for shit after buying the base game

I know it's going to take a lot of fight money to unlock the characters but that's how i'm going to get good.... by playing the game a fuckload.

seems like a waste if the character you want to learn is one of the dlc characters

Line_HTX

https://youtu.be/ak8vOKw34Vg

If people didn't see it, trailer for the new Rage Attack mechanic in T7FR. Looks really neat.

What's Katarina EX supposed to mean? Do you do f+4 and then 1+2 on hit or immediately after input?

Coolest looking EX goes to Jin's ECD+1+2, 3, 1 with those awesome hit sparks, and looks safe enough on block to do a guaranteed hellsweep?

I like how Lars' is out of his Silent Entry stance, and they combined SE+1 with Dynamic Entry 1,2 for a pretty long wall carry from center stage.

LOL at those flower pedal effects from Lili's d/f+3+4, 3, and the closeup on the last hit. The opponent trajectory seems to go higher and farther than the regular spin though.

vulva

So gief should be deadly in this one. Or does he have too many weaknesses?

gief kinda eats shit until he gets in from what I've seen. His vskill absorbs a hit (hits?) while walking forward but I think you can bait responses and otherwise he just really lacks the tools to get in.

Once he's in though yeeesh

NEO0MJ

So gief should be deadly in this one. Or does he have too many weaknesses?

EachMessyIndochinesetiger.gif

Couldn't find a smaller gif ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thank you for all the responses. The gif one, that matchup looked bad. Kinda like an old sf2 Sim vs gief where Sim can just stand back and use his middle punch and legs.

I'm worried SFV will die an early death because Capcom put limited single player content in the game at launch.

Single player content is there to help bring in new people. A lack of it wouldn't be responsible for killing a game when no one would be playing any single player content a month after release anyway.

I doubt that. I anticipate that the characters with command grabs are going to be popular among those players.

Won't stop them from complaining about Gief's air command grab.

Horseress

SFV may become the SF with the most single player content ever actually. Of course, after they put challenge mode and cinematic story mode a few months from now

What? Why?

SFIV lasted almost 8 years and would've kept going if V didn't exist. It had arcade mode, trials and challenges. That's it.

Soul Calibur V is why. The times have changed for fighters. The only reason SFIV likely continued to be a success is because of goodwill and the fact that people didn't care as much about single player fighting game content. You'll also notice the sales for SFIV dip noticeably after a specific amount of time.

UMvC3 had so much single player content...

How is UMvC3 doing now with casuals? How did UMvC3 sell?

SFV may become the SF with the most single player content ever actually. Of course, after they put challenge mode and cinematic story mode a few months from now

After the fact, yes. But will casuals be willing to invest in it after it not being there at launch? Time will tell.

Skilletor

Soul Calibur V is why. The times have changed for fighters. The only reason SFIV likely continued to be a success is because of goodwill and the fact that people didn't care as much about single player fighting game content. You'll also notice the sales for SFIV dip noticeably after a specific amount of time.

SoulCalibur 5 got rid of tons of characters people loved and replaced them with "students of" or "daughter/son of." It never got updates. It was never supported past the initial release.

None of this will happen with SF5.

How is UMvC3 doing now with casuals? How did UMvC3 sell?

Another game that wasn't supported post launch.

It sold over a million copies, I believe. Pretty great for an update that came out like 8 months after the original title.

I also notice how SFIV brought in over 2000 entrants at Evo almost every year. Who cares about casuals? They don't buy the DLC characters, people who get invested in the online or going to tournaments will be the money makers for this game. Not every game has to be Mortal Kombat. I'm stoked than Capcom are obviously trying to appeal to the actual people who keep their game alive.

SFV will do just fine where it matters.

Dahbomb

I mean Marvel 3 sold 2 million and then another 1 million with UMVC3 releasing in less than 10 months after that. Not bad at all, certainly much higher than the next VS game. And this is with 0 post release support outside of H&H.

Casuals don't play games past the first few months anyway so I am not sure I understand the other question.

I mean Marvel 3 sold 2 million and then another 1 million with UMVC3 releasing in less than 10 months after that. Not bad at all, certainly much higher than the next VS game.

Casuals don't play games past the first few months anyway so I am not sure I understand the other question.
plenty of casuals continue to play games like smash brothers, starcraft, and league of legends for years

Skilletor

Okay. That's assuring.

If SoulCalibur 5 were supported like SF5 will be, we'd have just about every character people love in the game and probably 5-6 new ones. We'd have new mechanics to keep things fresh, new stages, new music, new story for all of the new characters.

SC5 was my favorite 3D fighter last gen and I think it's sad the state the series is in. But what Capom does for SF and what Namco does with SC aren't comparable.

Sigmaah

A good amount of people from my work plan on getting sf5, couldn't tell you why but I know for a fact they'll all be dropping the game after like a week. Probably gonna say all you do in this game is mash.

Capcom did something right tho to gain their interest to buy the game.

shaowebb

EachMessyIndochinesetiger.gif

Couldn't find a smaller gif ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bye bye green hand. I'll miss you. Guess the go to grappler will be Mika then for her tag partner calls that should help with this some. That or just say fuck it and get my fix from Necalli's nasty looking grabs and forego wrestlers altogether.

Dahbomb

plenty of casuals continue to play games like smash brothers, starcraft, and league of legends for years
LoL yes because it has massive post release content.

Starcraft has long been started to get phased out.

Smash Bros is an anomaly (well Melee is, Smash 4 had a lot of post release content). And it's arguable that people who have been playing Smash for over a decade aren't actually casual, it's about how many new people are coming in (only LoL gets newer players in regularly).

I mean USF4 held in there with post release content too but once that is stopped, the casual players will move on too.

Point is that his will not apply to SFV for years because barring some massive failure it will get supported. Has less to do with single player content (like all the MOBAs, CS GO etc).

Doesn't this inherently make them not casual?
in comparison to this:
I also notice how SFIV brought in over 2000 entrants at Evo almost every year. Who cares about casuals? They don't buy the DLC characters, people who get invested in the online or going to tournaments will be the money makers for this game. Not every game has to be Mortal Kombat. I'm stoked than Capcom are obviously trying to appeal to the actual people who keep their game alive.

SFV will do just fine where it matters.
no, especially with smash, the people buying the dlc characters arent dominated by online players and tournament attendees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom