• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only reason SFIV likely continued to be a success is because of goodwill and the fact that people didn't care as much about single player fighting game content. You'll also notice the sales for SFIV dip noticeably after a specific amount of time.

l.

No, it stayed alive due to its tournament scene being streamed on twitch, and the tournament scene being supported by Capcom via prize money and updates. Players had more motivation to keep playing the game with new characters to learn, and some money to attend more tournaments. Instead of just 1 big tournament in EVO, there was now an end of the year Capcom tournament that started with the 25th Anniversary in 2012.

SF also has the most popular personalities and players. Other games don't have that.

Bye bye green hand. I'll miss you. Guess the go to grappler will be Mika then for her tag partner calls that should help with this some. That or just say fuck it and get my fix from Necalli's nasty looking grabs and forego wrestlers altogether.

Don't let this video fool you, Gief is very strong in this game and has answers to Fang. That's just a dummy behind the stick. =)

CurlyW

Alot of people here browse kappa though. I see content from there posted here all the time.

Point is that /r/kappa seems to care far more about this guy (who's had trouble with the law in the past and isn't a particularly relevant figure in the Smash scene currently) than /r/smashbros does.

A good amount of people from my work plan on getting sf5, couldn't tell you why but I know for a fact they'll all be dropping the game after like a week. Probably gonna say all you do in this game is mash.

Capcom did something right tho to gain their interest to buy the game.

I can already hear my co-workers mashing right now.

In comparison to other fighting games or esports games in general?

Because I dunno if I'd agree with the latter but certainly agree with the former.

fighting games

I can see Cindi's point. I think SFV will lose some casual players quicker than if it had more single player content. However, not all the casuals will leave and the SFV scene just needs to hold on to a few of those casuals and convert to grow the scene. I believe it can do that with how big the tournament scene is and the personalities the scene has. Also, SFV will notify casuals with the Capcom Fighter Network menu of tournaments. Finally, nobody has touched on this, but China stopped banning consoles what last year? I think that could grow the scene in China a little bit.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=194741517#post194741517
The hate... Silky Johnson ?
tumblr_muez97HpZ11qcrds3o1_250.gif

Top Melee players have much more twitter followers than any SF players.

Twitter followers don't mean much. Even PR Rog has more twitter followers than Daigo. I bet Justin and Daigo are more known than any Melee players in the esports scene. I know some Halo players that have 100k-200k followers because of the organization they were with. However, they're not very well known compared to Justin and Daigo.

Lulubop

Well Daigo doesn't even use Twitter, no doubt he's more popular than any Melee player but I think aside from him most top Melee players are more popular than any SF guys.

I got over a thousand views for a Birdie session I had in B3, and got great feedback on my SFV vids so far. SFV is going to be amazing for people who want to make content like me.

Also I got a goddamn 32 game winstreak in B4 with Birdie. It was glorious. So hype. ;-;

To the guy who said EX Bull Revenger will be the most moaned about thing at launch: it'll definitely be the thing moaned about maybe a month after release, but week one it will probably be Karin's rekka followups or the rollback - 'what was wrong with SF4's netcode?!?!?!??????'

IMO Birdie is probably most likely to be the Iceman of this game, but he's handa down the right choice for day one for people who want to win on ranked whilst getting a feel for the game. After maybe two months or so maybe the top tier flavour of the month will move to Chun or Karin. I'd expect Laura to end up top though (Will2Pac has already found the stupid Makoto-style reset game she has and it will get worse before it gets better).

Well Daigo doesn't even use Twitter, no doubt he's more popular than any Melee player but I think aside from him most top Melee players are more popular than any SF guys.

I think it's on a case by case basis. I followed Halo for a long time, and a player named Flamesword has 200k followers on twitter. No way is he more popular than the Melee or SF guys, but he has those followers. When he streams he doesn't get many viewers, and the Halo scene is like 95% US centric. A SF player has more worldwide presence, but I'm not going to exaggerate like it's big. I don't think the competitive Melee scene is popular in Japan which has a large population that follows fighting games. I know Justin is known in Japan to the casual crowd over there largely because of the Daigo parry.

The more I think about it, I think it's virtually tied with Justin and Daigo being the most popular. There's no way of knowing so I could be completely wrong.

I think it's on a case by case basis. I followed Halo for a long time, and a player named Flamesword has 200k followers on twitter. No way is he more popular than the Melee or SF guys, but he has those followers. When he streams he doesn't get many viewers, and the Halo scene is like 95% US centric. A SF player has more worldwide presence, but I'm not going to exaggerate like it's big. I don't think the competitive Melee scene is popular in Japan which has a large population that follows fighting games. I know Justin is known in Japan to the casual crowd over there largely because of the Daigo parry.

The more I think about it, I think it's virtually tied with Justin and Daigo being the most popular. There's no way of knowing so I could be completely wrong.

Maybe he got his followers the same way Leffen did

Reminds me of the guy on the Nitroplus Facebook group today.

Boy was THAT the wrong thing to put out there on a serious group. Learn to play. The game only HAS 3 bars period so good luck spamming them lol.

Well that was confusing, since there is no level 1 or 2 in the game or whatever even levels mean.

Beckx

Once again, if you're talking about groups of people who consistently launch the game and play matches online, wtf does casual vs. hardcore even mean?

I don't gaf, I just want a large enough population that it's easy to get matches in my ladder rank.

ShinMaruku

If the player pool is large enough sf5 will take off like no other. All the match making needs is enough people for skill to sort naturally like how even games with shit fanbases like LoL and DOTA work just by sheer size of their player base.

Malice215

SFV not having garbage online has more potential of bringing in people than any story mode. Plus SF survived 20+ years without having much in the way of single player, so I wouldn't be worried with how SFV does.

ShinMaruku

SFV not having garbage online has more potential of bringing in people than any story mode. Plus SF survived 20+ years without having much in the way of single player, so I wouldn't be worried with how SFV does.

The industry of those years ago is much different than today.

shaowebb

Well that was confusing, since there is no level 1 or 2 in the game or whatever even levels mean.

3 bars of meter possible. Main uses are Variable Rush, and Supers or Lethal Blaze... there's alpha counter like stuff too. Both combo augmenting tools, and they cost 1 bar and 2 bars respectfully. Cast generally have a single bar super or two as well that are beefier enhanced variants of other stuff they do most times. Level 3 is called Lethal Blaze.

So Supers (which are better than normal EX stuff IMO) are 1 bar, variable Rush is 2 bars, Lethal Blaze is 3 bars.

Pepper Some infinite blast stuff in there as well, some cancel combos, and your good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom