• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zissou

What players you lot think are not to the level they 'should' be because they are held back by certain quirks. For example you think X player is too much of a nut that if they practiced mindfulness they would do much better. Or the player who plays far too lame that they never take opportunities to close out a match.

I don't there's such a thing the level you 'should' be.

Zissou

Personally I think there is never where you 'should' be but where you are, but some people said "If not for this, they'd be at whatever level.

That's just people rationalizing. Bad people have no idea that they're as bad as they are, and they certainly don't know why they're bad.

Astarte

Isn't that how it always goes? You see a series like that, have your mind blown and then wonder how deep that rabbit hole goes, and then suddenly... BAD END.

Or maybe most people have more sense than I did when I was younger. D:

You hit the bad end and you go further, that's the real way of doing it

Zissou

SF I feel I am at ground level in DOA but SF I SUUUCCCKK at. For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOCmORJkDCU
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1M78EIi1c8

You do tons of unsafe/punishable stuff. While you've gotta dp or random spiral arrow here and there to put the fear of god into 'em, it shouldn't be 90% of your game plan. Random hooligan isn't good and you'll be hit out of it every time by a competent player.

When playing against random fools in the beta, you should just play cautiously and wait to see if they are a nut. Don't commit to anything, and focus on blocking and punishing unsafe stuff and anti-airing consistently until they either lose or it becomes clear they're not playing like an idiot (or they eventually stop playing like an idiot). Lots of people will just hang themselves. Use your walkspeed and threaten with pokes like st.MK.

ShinMaruku

You do tons of unsafe/punishable stuff. While you've gotta dp or random spiral arrow here and there to put the fear of god into 'em, it shouldn't be 90% of your game plan. Random hooligan isn't good and you'll be hit out of it every time by a competent player.

When playing against random fools in the beta, you should just play cautiously and wait to see if they are a nut. Don't commit to anything, and focus on blocking and punishing unsafe stuff and anti-airing consistently until they either lose or it becomes clear they're not playing like an idiot (or they eventually stop playing like an idiot). Lots of people will just hang themselves. Use your walkspeed and threaten with pokes like st.MK.
Funny thing is I try that with a good player and then they crush me... But I'll try that. My main thing is keeping up pressure and opening people up... have to do better there.

im stealing all your tech count
Knowing Capcom's track record they'll probably nerf her and make her pointless. Therefore steal everybody else's tech.

K.Sabot

idyIu8b.png

based valle

you can play real footsies in sfv, it's amazing.

ShinMaruku

Valle should just come out and say 90 % of them have no idea what they are talking about.

They should just be honest and say "I had no chance, I'm ass I need to adapt and overcome ot fade away"

Grakl

Bodying people on their wakeup with Necalli crush counters was hella fun, enjoyed him this beta

Laura got fucked up so much lol, I don't think people could ever deal with anything on wakeup

I really like the emphasis on crush counters in SFV

Mizerman

Valle should just come out and say 90 % of them have no idea what they are talking about.

They should just be honest and say "I had no chance, I'm ass I need to adapt and overcome ot fade away"

Some people can't even be honest or take responsibility in everyday life. I don't think they're gonna do so in fighting games.

Bodying people on their wakeup with Necalli crush counters was hella fun, enjoyed him this beta

Laura got fucked up so much lol, I don't think people could ever deal with anything on wakeup

I really like the emphasis on crush counters in SFV

Same here. Never cared to understand counter hit mechanics in most games, but CC in SFV feel easy to understand and important in the gameplan.

Zissou

Funny thing is I try that with a good player and then they crush me... But I'll try that. My main thing is keeping up pressure and opening people up... have to do better there.

Knowing Capcom's track record they'll probably nerf her and make her pointless. Therefore steal everybody else's tech.

I'm willing to bet you'd have a winning record if you just let people hang themselves (based on my own xp with the players in the beta). Even once you get to players where that doesn't work, you always have to do a 'crazy check' first make sure you're actually playing somebody decent when playing ranked. IMO, you should learn how to beat people mashing their face against the controller before you worry about other stuff.

fader

anyone remember a official blazblue tutorial that was high quality filmed (i think by arcSys) that was in a classroom or something. If you do, do you have a link to it?

kirblar

Same here. Never cared to understand counter hit mechanics in most games, but CC in SFV feel easy to understand and important in the gameplan.
CC seems explicitly designed to teach players about counter-hit properties in general.

Laura's a character that keeps getting poo-poo'd as "not having combos" - when these people aren't going into training mode and seeing what happens when they turn counterhits on to her, where suddenly a lot of stuff will open up for her.

K.Sabot

anyone remember a official blazblue tutorial that was high quality filmed (i think by arcSys) that was in a classroom or something. If you do, do you have a link to it?

Wasn't that a dvd that was packed into BBCT?

I remember Mike " Big Soviet Damage / Backdash Longer than Hangover" Z doing the tutorial for Tager.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

The largest salt deposit has just been discovered recently in some FGC'ers backyard.

idyIu8b.png

based valle

you can play real footsies in sfv, it's amazing.

It feels like the cleanest SF game I've played in a game. Granted I play turbo every now and then and that game is just wrong but so good.

EZq1FUP.png

he's on fire

I feel dumb for saying it was bland earlier on lol, granted I was only playing Ryu, who is boring as fuck at the moment. Only interesting thing he has is his ability to counter folks with his crouch fierce and his parry.

fader

Wasn't that a dvd that was packed into BBCT?

I remember Mike " Big Soviet Damage / Backdash Longer than Hangover" Z doing the tutorial for Tager.

no not that one, the one im thinking of is in japanese only and was on niconico.

it might not have been blazblue, I just know it was about a japanese airdasher

petghost

Banned
i like sf5 a lot and was never that big on sf4 but it weirds me out that a lot of the praise it gets from people is usually like "5 doesnt have this scrub ass mechanic from 4, get used to it." i honestly think its cuz there isnt a ton to talk about at least atm in regards to the game except footsies dont get blown up by focus, you can do dp's on block and make it safe etc and the game's whole identity is defined comparing it to 4. i was expecting there to be no focus or dp's made safe on block. i think if V triggers were more interesting we'd be hearing more about how cool that system was. im sure hella people were doing the same thing with 4 at the beginning of its life and saying stuff like "lol scrubs get out of the air you cant fall back on parry anymore"

fader

i like sf5 a lot and was never that big on sf4 but it weirds me out that a lot of the praise it gets from people is usually like "5 doesnt have this scrub ass mechanic from 4, get used to it." i honestly think its cuz there isnt a ton to talk about at least atm in regards to the game except footsies dont get blown up by focus, you can do dp's on block and make it safe etc and the game's whole identity is defined comparing it to 4. i was expecting there to be no focus or dp's made safe on block. i think if V triggers were more interesting we'd be hearing more about how cool that system was. im sure hella people were doing the same thing with 4 at the beginning of its life and saying stuff like "lol scrubs get out of the air you cant fall back on parry anymore"

I don't remember people bashing parry as much as people are focus attacks. In fact I'm sure people didn't. Because parry was seen entirely differently than focus attacks.

ArjanN

People compare it to sf4 because that's the 800-pound gorilla in the room. SF3 to 4 was longer apart and SF3 never got the mainstream appeal of 4 either.

you guys are gonna be extra salty when you get chipped out by supers thinkin you were safe

I got chipped by supers twice in beta. Once from a Rashid who cornered me with his v-trigger, and once from a Nash.

The thing about the Nash one was that the fight was very close. We were both at low health, Nash at a magic pixel, and me with a bit more. I scored a knockdown, and the Nash woke up with his super. I blocked it, thinking that I had enough health to survive. I didn't. I wish the replay for that match saved, because I don't remember how much health I had exactly, I just remember being surprised that Nash's super did that much chip.

I got chipped by supers twice in beta. Once from a Rashid who cornered me with his v-trigger, and once from a Nash.

The thing about the Nash one was that the fight was very close. We were both at low health, Nash at a magic pixel, and me with a bit more. I scored a knockdown, and the Nash woke up with his super. I blocked it, thinking that I had enough health to survive. I didn't. I wish the replay for that match saved, because I don't remember how much health I had exactly, I just remember being surprised that Nash's super did that much chip.

If you block Nash's super is it just one hit for chip? Since it doesn't start the whole animation.

If you block Nash's super is it just one hit for chip? Since it doesn't start the whole animation.

It's one hit indeed. You get hit, the super KO screen flashes, and you don't get the full super animation.

The same thing happens with Rashid's super if it chips you out. I imagine this is the case for everybody's super, I guess except for the grapples, and maybe Ryu's, since his is a non cinematic multi hitting super.

Crush counters make the game so scary on wakeup.

Read a backdash or a normal and it's clobbering time

I've never had so much fun punishing an uppercut.

Right when I block a DP, I get that instant :uf'dup: face going. I've ended rounds instantly off a whiffed DP.

mbpm1

I've never had so much fun punishing an uppercut.

Right when I block a DP, I get that instant :uf'dup: face going. I've ended rounds instantly off a whiffed DP.

Blocked uppercuts = say goodbye to a third or a half of your life

It's like being Eryu with two meters...everytime

And all the while you watch the stun meter building up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom