• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightii

Banned
I'm gonna risk invoking the ire of most FGCgaf but....I really really hope El Fuerte comes back eventually for SFV...DON'T SHOOT YET HEAR ME OUT PLEASE!

I'm not sure if you folks have played the SFIV Remix mod (you should try it out, btw), but in that mod, amongst the several mechanics changes, one of the brightest ones was turning Habanero Dash into Fuerte's standard dash, and turning all of the follow up specials into standard special moves, this easily slowed things down and made him much less overwhelming/absurd to fight, while still being a lot of fun, imo.

I personally think Fuerte was a pretty darn cool design, both in looks and moveset, but I can see the issue people have with him, which is why I think he could be easily fixed in a game of SFV's nature.

But alas, just hopes and dreams.

ShinMaruku

At the launch of a game most people are always fucking off on how it goes. How will SF5 do? Well if it hits cricial mass it will like fission it will self perpetuate, with that capcom cup money there will be some interest driven by it.

I know some people like to point to sfxt, but this has Capcom cup behind it with some very appealing incentives they can drag the scene to this game unlike sfxt where sf4 was a viable
and sad
alternative.

I'm gonna risk invoking the ire of most FGCgaf but....I really really hope El Fuerte comes back eventually for SFV...DON'T SHOOT YET HEAR ME OUT PLEASE!

I'm not sure if you folks have played the SFIV Remix mod (you should try it out, btw), but in that mod, amongst the several mechanics changes, one of the brightest ones was turning Habanero Dash into Fuerte's standard dash, and turning all of the follow up specials into standard special moves, this easily slowed things down and made him much less overwhelming/absurd to fight, while still being a lot of fun, imo.

I personally think Fuerte was a pretty darn cool design, both in looks and moveset, but I can see the issue people have with him, which is why I think he could be easily fixed in a game of SFV's nature.

this is how you get slam dunked into an ignore list

shaowebb

I'm not really a fan of chip kills in some games. SF I'm indifferent because its seldom a wall of shit flying at you like marvel or UNIEL that you either block or can't dodge. In general, I just prefer the last hit to be clean. No one likes losing to something they know they blocked properly when both of you were at last pixel IMO. It just doesn't feel like on last hit you are rewarding defense as highly as you should be if you let folks chip death. Granted they are that low on health for a reason at this point but its more exciting to players and viewers to train folks to never give up at the end once they are immune to chip death and if any scenario will train you to try harder its the last hit in a defensive situation.

Meanwhile Infiltration, FChamp, Juicebox, Alex Valle etc. were loving the game.

Who to trust...
Who is juicebox?

The point of simplifying the game was to bring in more casuals & broaden the game's appeal. Max is a far better barometer for that than people who have financial stakes in the success of a product like a TO, a player looking to move on from a dying game, and the #1 player in the beta.

in other news, i now understand how king crimson stand works:

1bd.png

I do feel that stubbier normals make people jump more in SFV. But I guess everyone has Mike Ross syndrome in the beginning of a game.

Also I wish empty jump low was easier. You can't confirm off a lk to 2 lps anymore..

There's nothing more annoying than seeing someone win off chip off a hard knockdown or by throwing out an EX move. I love the idea of working for every bit of health.

I really doubt he comes back, especially anytime soon. Characters like Rashid and Mika have filled his spot. If he does come back, it'll probably be after many others make it into the game.

Nightii

Banned
They seem to have succeeded quite well in this regards so far, the general buzz for the game seems very positive.

Pretty much, most of the complaints have been coming from people that do not qualify as casuals at all lol.

Casual complaints lie on things like graphics (at first) and story mode, you know, stuff from which there is pretty much no turning back for Capcom now.

I really doubt he comes back, especially anytime soon. Characters like Rashid and Mika have filled his spot. If he does come back, it'll probably be after many others make it into the game.

Oh, no doubt about it, if it were to happen, it would be a loooonnnng time from now, probably towards the end of the game's DLC development cycle if at all.

I'm just hopeful, you know? I mean, if Mika can make it out of the V-ism ghetto into a grounded game like SFV, I can hope Fuerte makes it out FADC-ville and into a game where he is less likely to be bonkers in a bad way.

God damn man. That can't be her real voice.
Also merry Christmas

Since 02UM will be a main game at Combo Breaker I kind of feel like learning the game and entering. Even though I'd go 0-2 quadruple perfect it seems worthwhile to go play the game offline.

Go for it, 02UM is really fun!

There's nothing more annoying than seeing someone win off chip off a hard knockdown or by throwing out an EX move. I love the idea of working for every bit of health.

SF4 made it worse since moves do large amounts of chip for no reason. It became a part of regular play. This meaty DP on block to end the round stuff is SF4 only.

But it does show that petghost is right. I mean pushing the idea of "working for every bit of health". If I'm playing a keepaway character and I successfully kept you out most of the round to the point you're at pixels, why should you get a comeback mechanic in the form of no chip?

Oh, no doubt about it, if it were to happen, it would be a loooonnnng time from now, probably towards the end of the game's DLC development cycle if at all.

I'm just hopeful, you know? I mean, if Mika can make it out of the V-ism ghetto into a grounded game like SFV, I can hope Fuerte makes it out FADC-ville and into a game where he is less likely to be bonkers in a bad way.

I know what you mean. I was originally annoyed that Makoto didn't make it in, but after giving these characters a try, I really like playing with most of them. I could see myself maining Ryu, Ken, Karin, Mika, etc. but my favorites of the base 16 are definitely the newcomers Laura and Necalli. I think they're the two I had the most fun with during this beta.

I still hope my character makes it in, but I think Capcom's done a great job with transitioning these characters in/making new ones, that I'm still gonna love the game regardless of whether or not the one character I like makes it. It'd be amazing for you if Fuerte somehow made it in, but I think each character is diverse enough right now that it'd be hard to find someone that you didn't already like. Though I might be wrong about that.

SF4 made it worse since moves do large amounts of chip for no reason. It became a part of regular play. This DP on block to end the round stuff is SF4 only.

But it does show that petghost is right.

I don't follow many game competitively, but I figured it was an issue exclusive to SF4. Maybe I just like the idea of no chip kills in SF only and it probably wouldn't work as well outside of SF.

But I agree with SF4 chip damage being massive. I've lost more matches than I can count on a Blanka ultra chip kill.

Nightii

Banned
I know what you mean. I was originally annoyed that Makoto didn't make it in, but after giving these characters a try, I really like playing with most of them. I could see myself maining Ryu, Ken, Karin, Mika, etc. but my favorites of the base 16 are definitely the newcomers Laura and Necalli. I think they're the two I had the most fun with during this beta.

I still hope my character makes it in, but I think Capcom's done a great job with transitioning these characters in/making new ones, that I'm still gonna love the game regardless of whether or not the one character I like makes it. It'd be amazing for you if Fuerte somehow made it in, but I think each character is diverse enough right now that it'd be hard to find someone that you didn't already like. Though I might be wrong about that.

You're right, I'm not having any issues with picking a character I enjoy at all, Vega is simply great for me, and while I'm not completely sold on Ryu yet, Denjin setups are too cool to not give him a true chance, and there is FANG waiting too.

The Fuerte thing is just a silly hope of mine, considering this game will get supported for a long long time.

BadWolf

You're right, I'm not having any issues with picking a character I enjoy at all, Vega is simply great for me, and while I'm not completely sold on Ryu yet, Denjin setups are too cool to not give him a true chance, and there is FANG waiting too.

I still can't decide who to use initially when the game comes out, so many characters look so fun -_-

WarRock

I kinda like Fuerte's moveset, but he is the blandest luchador I've ever seen )=

There were some nice articles about him in 1up and Capcom Unity:
part 1
part 2

Anyway, I would love to see a luchador in newer SF iterations, be it Fuerte or a new character. Mika got a great redesign in hear animations/moveset to more properly represent wrestling, so I have some expectations in case it happens.

SF4 made it worse since moves do large amounts of chip for no reason. It became a part of regular play. This meaty DP on block to end the round stuff is SF4 only.

But it does show that petghost is right. I mean pushing the idea of "working for every bit of health". If I'm playing a keepaway character and I successfully kept you out most of the round to the point you're at pixels, why should you get a comeback mechanic in the form of no chip?
It does put a slight damper on zoning, and potentially allows rounds to go longer. Though round length was never an issue for me.

Infinite

I do feel that stubbier normals make people jump more in SFV. But I guess everyone has Mike Ross syndrome in the beginning of a game.

Also I wish empty jump low was easier. You can't confirm off a lk to 2 lps anymore..
I feel like people are jumping a lot because they don't really know what they are doing yet. That and anti-airs are weak atm, but I'm certain those will get stronger before release.

They should introduce an end of the round chip gauge where a player can only take so much hits once you're down to a pixel. That way it eliminates the guaranteed dp chip kill, but also doesn't let 1 player take 20 fireballs without dying.

They should introduce an end of the round chip gauge where a player can only take so much hits once you're down to a pixel. That way it eliminates the guaranteed dp chip kill, but also doesn't let 1 player take 20 fireballs without dying.
Giving every character a guard break would be good. Why not let Ryu always charge his fireballs?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I feel like the "no chip kill" thing would be a little better if the attacker still gained something or the defender still lost something when the defender is blocking at 0 HP. Like maybe a little extra meter gain or loss, respectively. It could make the chip-by-super threat a little more potent, too.

I'm fine with it as it is, though.

I don't think no chip kills are really a comeback mechanic. Its more like a last chance than anything. If you're down to 1 and you manage to block/avoid everything and pull a comeback and win it, imo you earned that and the opponent cracked.

At the least its nowhere near as egregious as ultras from SF4.

Edit: of course you can make the opinion that if you're down to 1 you have no business even being in the game at that point, but I think it makes the game more interesting. Though that's more of an opinion than anything.

MrDaravon

DaiGOAT

http://shoryuken.com/2015/12/21/daigo-umehara-donates-capcom-cup-winnings-to-evo-scholarship-fund/

"I would like to donate all my prize winnings from the Capcom Pro-Tour Finals to the community. It’s simply because I would not have existed without community and I owe you. My “professional” gamer life has given me such invaluable experiences. I get to give all myself to fight against top players around the world and meet and engage with fans across the globe. I can express myself through my gameplay to the audience, the community. Just as you need an opponent in fighting game, the community is equally important to me.

My pro-gaming life started with SFIV. The CPT Finals were to conclude one chapter of my life. I worked hard everyday. I grew a lot. I had so much fun in the process over the year. I felt fulfilled. Being content, I came to the finals. I was thinking that if I had had won any prizes, I would want to give it back to the community, which has supported me all these times. Not only was I able to win the prize, I was able to play my game and express myself. I had great matches, and I had a great fun.

I sincerely hope the money I donate will help the community thrive further. The stronger the community grows, the further my career expands, doesn’t it? That is not so bad. At least, it would be a much wiser and prudent investment than an Ume-Shoryu?!

I cannot express my gratitude to the community. But I would like to say that I’m looking forward to seeing you next year again. Hope you all have happy holidays.

Daigo Umehara"

I'm just really glad that Street Fighter V isn't anywhere near as clunky as IV has always been, with solid netcode to boot when matching up against anyone with (at minimum) an average quality connection. Can't say I care one iota about all the "muh comboz!" bellyaching when the series' depth has rarely been synonymous with it.

You know your game isn't that hype when Maximilian is on & off with his excitement levels. That guy is usually all aboard the hype train but last night he was less than thrilled for quite a while.
What a laughably shoddy metric this one is.

Shackzam

Are there any good Mika players I can look up?
I don't know of any mika's that are putting up recordings, but there was a mika that kazunoko was playing. I think his name was pavicado? Or something like that. There's also combofiend and nando
even though I beat nando during the beta period with my Mika ;)
. Probably more then that though.

Sayad

You know your game isn't that hype when Maximilian is on & off with his excitement levels. That guy is usually all aboard the hype train but last night he was less than thrilled for quite a while.
KI best fighting game confirmed, and TTT2 more boring than SFxT! :D

peter0611

Ofc Daigo didn't need the money since he's already financially well off compared to othe pros. But that doesn't diminish how awesome this is and how good it makes the FGC look as a whole. Total props!

I wouldn't have done it if I were in his shoes :p

Skilletor

I feel like the "no chip kill" thing would be a little better if the attacker still gained something or the defender still lost something when the defender is blocking at 0 HP. Like maybe a little extra meter gain or loss, respectively. It could make the chip-by-super threat a little more potent, too.

I'm fine with it as it is, though.

That'd be interesting, if you're being chipped out it starts draining meter instead of life. Or maybe your guard meter loses chunks faster when you're at the magic pixel.

NEO0MJ

KI best fighting game confirmed, and TTT2 more boring than SFxT! :D

Well, SF V is borrowing a lot from KI and SFxTKN is superior on account of not being juggle capital :p

Ofc Daigo didn't need the money since he's already financially well off compared to othe pros. But that doesn't diminish how awesome this is and how good it makes the FGC look as a whole. Total props!

Even if I made that much money a month I'd still be hesitant about giving it up.

notworksafe

So Daigo punked Kaz once by getting the larger and last applause of Capcom Cup and then again by donating his winnings to a college fund. Truly he is the master of the dark hadou.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom