• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheroking

But it does show that petghost is right. I mean pushing the idea of "working for every bit of health". If I'm playing a keepaway character and I successfully kept you out most of the round to the point you're at pixels, why should you get a comeback mechanic in the form of no chip?

"Comeback mechanic in the form of no chip" is the silliest shit I've read in some time.

You didn't kill him. He has life. If he beats you with a tiny bit of life, that's not a comeback mechanic, that's just a comeback.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
That'd be interesting, if you're being chipped out it starts draining meter instead of life. Or maybe your guard meter loses chunks faster when you're at the magic pixel.

I just think there should be some kind of benefit for continually chipping away at someone who's already at zero. The chip-by-super effect is a little skewed in that it doesn't help characters who have command grabs for supers.

Skilletor

I just think there should be some kind of benefit for continually chipping away at someone who's already at zero. The chip-by-super effect is a little skewed in that it doesn't help characters who have command grabs for supers.

Yeah, I agree. I also never thought about zoners being punished by this system.

smurfx

get some go again
what about some guard crush mechanic?

"Comeback mechanic in the form of no chip" is the silliest shit I've read in some time.

You didn't kill him. He has life. If he beats you with a tiny bit of life, that's not a comeback mechanic, that's just a comeback.

If it makes you feel better I'll call it a system mechanic that allows you to make a comeback in a way that you originally weren't able to do. And it doesn't carry over from round to round because it's activated individually in each of them.

Yup.

Getting so caught up with the semantics of "comeback mechanic", obviously affected by the stigma the term has gotten with games like Marvel 3 and Street Fighter 4, is missing the point of the conversation entirely.

Wow really? Why is evo still the pinnacle of fighting games when it's so shady..

It's not even the fact that SkiSonic got it that is upsetting. It's the fact that he ALREADY went to college & got a 4 year degree & now he's getting scholorship for another degree while someone else who doesn't have any degree at all is getting the shaft.

Infinite

It's not even the fact that SkiSonic got it that is upsetting. It's the fact that he ALREADY went to college & got a 4 year degree & now he's getting scholorship for another degree while someone else who doesn't have any degree at all is getting the shaft.
Wouldn't that always be the case no matter who wins it?

CurlyW

It's not a scam people, lol. You can't just believe everything you read on reddit.

And I agree the evoscholarship is a scam. NYU is hella expensive.

So they should send people to the for-profit, MLG-sponsoring Full Sail University instead? Because that's not shady at all.

Tripon

It's not a scam people, lol. You can't just believe everything you read on reddit.

So they should send people to the for-profit, MLG-sponsoring Full Sail University instead? Because that's not shady at all.
Who said that? The fact is going to NYU is $50 to $60k a year. No way the EVO scholarship covers all of it or moat of it. I have no idea why the scholarship is tied to a school anyway.

I won't even get into the fact that an employee of the company won the scholarship. If my company did that shit, I would wonder what other dumb shit they do to fudge the numbers.

notworksafe

Who said that? The fact is going to NYU is $50 to $60k a year. No way the EVO scholarship covers all of it or moat of it. I have no idea why the scholarship is tied to a school anyway.

I won't even get into the fact that an employee of the company won the scholarship. If my company did that shit, I would wonder what other dumb shit they do to fudge the numbers.
Bolded is the issue.

Shoryuken.com EVO Scholarship for the FGC won by employee of Shoryuken.com & good friend of Mr Wizard, runner of EVO and Shoryuken.com

Whether it is illegal/immoral/shady or not isn't the point. It's that it is a terrible look and seems incredibly messed up. Why put that stigma on your charity out of the gate?

CurlyW

Bolded is the issue.

Shoryuken.com EVO Scholarship for the FGC won by employee of Shoryuken.com & good friend of Mr Wizard, runner of EVO and Shoryuken.com

Whether it is illegal/immoral/shady or not isn't the point. It's that it is a terrible look and seems incredibly messed up. Why put that stigma on your charity out of the gate?

1) I assume it's tied to NYU because it's one of the few credible non-profit universities to have a games program. Additionally, NYU has hosted fighting game stuff in the past with S-Kill, Arturo, and others, which probably gives them the edge over another school with a games program like DePaul, say. Obviously NYU is expensive, but there aren't many options to pick from.

2) Skisonic isn't an employee of SRK. He wasn't even an employee of SRK when he was on WakeUpSRK, which has now been off the air for at least 2 years anyway.

3) The Evo scholarship has been going on for 3 years prior to Ski winning it this year. I know the guy who won it back in 2014 (he's an OG Marvel 2 player from Chicago, who moved to New York shortly after winning). No idea what you mean by "out of the gate".

4) MrWizard doesn't have friends.

Edit: If you want to claim that the scholarship lets SRK avoid taxes or something, well I don't know anything about tax law, so I'm not going to get into that. But to claim that it's some sort of embezzlement scheme amongst cronies is pretty far out there.

vulva

Yes because it can ONLY be one or the other with absolutely no other exceptions.

Nightii

Banned
Just finished playing Vampire Savior 2 (Fightcade) with some work friends on lunch break, it was pretty fun, but I am completely ignorant on what the hell was going on most of the time, never touched Darkstalkers before.

So, this series has EX moves instead of supers? I liked Phobos a lot, lots of traps and projectiles, not to mention ice beams and that anti air vulcan! I will have to play more and find out how the hell you play this lol.

petghost

Banned
Just finished playing Vampire Savior 2 (Fightcade) with some work friends on lunch break, it was pretty fun, but I am completely ignorant on what the hell was going on most of the time, never touched Darkstalkers before.

So, this series has EX moves instead of supers? I liked Phobos a lot, lots of traps and projectiles, not to mention ice beams and that anti air vulcan! I will have to play more and find out how the hell you play this lol.

Yo if you ever wanna play vsav tell me I'm trying to learn too!

Iirc vsav2 removed some important things like air chains so not a ton of people like it.

If you wanna learn about the game here is a great wiki for it and some other poverty games.

http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Vampire_Savior

Tripon

1) I assume it's tied to NYU because it's one of the few credible non-profit universities to have a games program. Additionally, NYU has hosted fighting game stuff in the past with S-Kill, Arturo, and others, which probably gives them the edge over another school with a games program like DePaul, say. Obviously NYU is expensive, but there aren't many options to pick from.

2) Skisonic isn't an employee of SRK. He wasn't even an employee of SRK when he was on WakeUpSRK, which has now been off the air for at least 2 years anyway.

3) The Evo scholarship has been going on for 3 years prior to Ski winning it this year. I know the guy who won it back in 2014 (he's an OG Marvel 2 player from Chicago, who moved to New York shortly after winning). No idea what you mean by "out of the gate".

4) MrWizard doesn't have friends.

Edit: If you want to claim that the scholarship lets SRK avoid taxes or something, well I don't know anything about tax law, so I'm not going to get into that. But to claim that it's some sort of embezzlement scheme amongst cronies is pretty far out there.
Is it your contention that Skisonic was never compensated for his commentary at EVO?

Nightii

Banned
Yo if you ever wanna play vsav tell me I'm trying to learn too!

Iirc vsav2 removed some important things like air chains so not a ton of people like it.

If you wanna learn about the game here is a great wiki for it and some other poverty games.

http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Vampire_Savior

Oh, so it's not the ideal version of Darkstalkers to play? I thought something was wrong when I didn't see Sasquatch, the Were-Wolf and the Fish Guy.

Infinite

That's private institutions in general though. Apparently, $20k the most you can get in scholarships from NYU so it seems like your beef here is with them and not evo

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Oh, so it's not the ideal version of Darkstalkers to play? I thought something was wrong when I didn't see Sasquatch, the Were-Wolf and the Fish Guy.
just get DSR on lastgen, decent system/character tutorials and good netcode

CurlyW

Is it your contention that Skisonic was never compensated for his commentary at EVO?

No idea. And even if he was, I wouldn't consider him or any of the other commentators to be employees of SRK. For one, they have to be picked to be on commentary by the person in charge of it (so it's not a guaranteed position). Two, the person who picks commentators isn't an employee of SRK either (more of a contractor). And three, I'm pretty sure they have to get to Vegas on their own dime if they want to commentate.

I'm just claiming it's a bad look. The tax bills of SRK are not terribly important to me.

I'll admit it does look kinda weird, and I think Ski thought about that when debating over whether to take it (on top of the great expense of moving to New York, going back to school, etc.). But the scholarship has been in place for 4 years now and actual people have won it and taken advantage of it.

Kumubou

Am I the only one not weirded out by the lack of chip death in SF5? Frankly, I love the change, especially the few times so far where I've managed to scheme myself to a win from zero life. However, I'm coming over from anime fighters (which either don't have chip death at all or at least have some way to mitigate it) and 3D fighters (where chip is a nonexistent concept). I find blatant chip setups in SF4 (or even worse, stuff like Blanka's meaty RC electricity from CvS2) to be eyeroll inducing.

To my knowledge, commentators were first paid in... 2012 or so? I know they are compensated now, but were not at some point in the past (I know they were not in 2010).

So he has been for the last couple of years... but between all of its games, they have about 50 people lined up for commentary. And it's not really a significant amount of money either, and it's a weekend gig... I don't really see the issue? Would any prominent personality be barred from winning at this point?

Astarte

Use rewind specials to apply pressure and use the head projectile to zone. That's all I know. Bedman is a really weird character.

Yeah, I've been trying that. Unfortunately I can't use a lot of the things I learned because my friends like to play Venom, Elphelt, and some form of Millia. I guess I can snipe them with 2/3 HS :/

Nightii

Banned
Ok, I just read up on Darkstalkers' release story, and.....what. the. fuck?

You're seriously telling me there never was an arcade release with all of the characters together? not even the HD compilation from last gen have them all on one game! this is some Pokemon versioning bullshit right here.

jerry1594

The CPS2 has a storage limit of 40mb so they couldn't fit everyone. Donovan and I think Pyron weren't supposed to return anyway, instead there would be a grown up Anita and Phobos. It's whatever really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom