• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I've been trying that. Unfortunately I can't use a lot of the things I learned because my friends like to play Venom, Elphelt, and some form of Millia. I guess I can snipe them with 2/3 HS :/

Yeah, those are some rough matchups. I suggest checking out the Bedman's matchup threads on Dustloop for some tips.
Ok, I just read up on Darkstalkers' release story, and.....what. the. fuck?

You're seriously telling me there never was an arcade release with all of the characters together? not even the HD compilation from last gen have them all on one game! this is some Pokemon versioning bullshit right here.

Gotta catch 'em all. Darkstalkers.

Tripon

I'm gonna risk invoking the ire of most FGCgaf but....I really really hope El Fuerte comes back eventually for SFV...DON'T SHOOT YET HEAR ME OUT PLEASE!

I'm not sure if you folks have played the SFIV Remix mod (you should try it out, btw), but in that mod, amongst the several mechanics changes, one of the brightest ones was turning Habanero Dash into Fuerte's standard dash, and turning all of the follow up specials into standard special moves, this easily slowed things down and made him much less overwhelming/absurd to fight, while still being a lot of fun, imo.

I personally think Fuerte was a pretty darn cool design, both in looks and moveset, but I can see the issue people have with him, which is why I think he could be easily fixed in a game of SFV's nature.

But alas, just hopes and dreams.
Cartridge memory limitations are a bitch.

Kumubou

Ok, I just read up on Darkstalkers' release story, and.....what. the. fuck?

You're seriously telling me there never was an arcade release with all of the characters together? not even the HD compilation from last gen have them all on one game! this is some Pokemon versioning bullshit right here.
I thought the issue with characters getting cut in VSav and VSav 2 was more due to CPS2 RAM/ROM limitations more than anything. I think Capcom would have put everyone in VSav 2 if they could have, at the very least. Similar reason why so many backgrounds were cut down when going from SF3:2I to 3S as they needed the ROM space for extra characters.

Am I the only one not weirded out by the lack of chip death in SF5? Frankly, I love the change, especially the few times so far where I've managed to scheme myself to a win from zero life.

You obviously aren't. But I think it makes more sense in more volatile games like Persona.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
The EVO scholarship is a scam? Come on, I know the folks who run the whole thing and MrWizard has no involvement in deciding who gets to go in. They look at the applicant's history within the FGC and see if they merit the scholarship. Also, they go to the Game Center at NYU Poly, which is considerably the cheapest out of all the schools, the master's program charges around $30-40K a year depending on which classes you take. Also, its been out for more than 3 years at this point with previous no names winning it but once someone they recognize wins it, they go with their pitchforks saying they don't deserve it. Skisonic is taking classes weekly and is a really chill guy, willing to play with anyone and talk about fighting games.

Zissou

Will be interesting to see how no chip death affects zoners. Their entire game plan might have to change once their opponent is on their last pixel of life. If the zoner decides to just stay away and keep zoning regardless, it could lead to time outs and such. I don't see how it couldn't be interpreted as a comeback mechanic though (if it doesn't end up being a particularly potent one).

Here's ~2 hours of me playing Bison during the beta:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJtbDtyQ_Ns

Will be interesting to see how no chip death affects zoners. Their entire game plan might have to change once their opponent is on their last pixel of life. If the zoner decides to just stay away and keep zoning regardless, it could lead to time outs and such. I don't see how it couldn't be interpreted as a comeback mechanic though (if it doesn't end up being a particularly potent one).
That's why Bison gets 2 good mix-ups in V-Trigger, and Dhalsim's teleport is so good.

in case anyone is wondering, Japan is going well for me
rZsu0Zi.jpg

zxLxNAC.jpg

iyzxyMO.jpg

1y38L9B.jpg

The no-chip system isn't good or bad, just different in an interesting way.

Here are the notables:
- If you have "no life" but are trying to rushdown a DP character, you can now actually threaten with a meaty and don't have to make it whiff
- If you have "no life" you can still get in without jumping or going crazy against a fireball character
- if you have "no life" you can still play the clock, there is no immediate need to force a game-winning scenario
- You can still chip kill at the cost of ALL OF YOUR METER. This is expensive, but this also means that you can die in a similar fashion to previous street fighters i.e. you cannot block a cancellable normal.
- Character with grab supers cannot chip kill, but they can now combo into their supers (I don't believe this has even been done in a Street Fighter outside of focus crumples)

I feel kind of embarrassed to admit this, but man I finally and truly get all you guys that hate on SF4 for all it's annoying and randoms aspects. Don't get me wrong, I agreed with many of the complaints about SF4 but I didn't truly understand until I played another SF and grinded it out. SF4 isn't my first SF, but I guess that doesn't really matter when all I've ever done in the past 17 years I've been playing SF and Capcom fighters was pick a shoto, do special moves, and did jump kick sweep as a BNB before SF4 came out.

I have to say, it was a really refreshing experience grinding out the beta and getting a really good feel for how this new SF is going to be like. A lot of the randomness and old tactics are gone from SF4 and I honestly don't miss it at all. I don't think SFV is perfect, I still have a number of things that I want to see changed. But instead of being fearful of SFV, now I'm very excited about it.

Doesn't Alpha counter negate this?

1) do they have any more V-meter? Maybe they used their V-trigger already.
2) V-reversals are not guaranteed to hit. Off the top of my head, if you V-reversal my normal but I cancel it, my super might actually -hit- depending on the specifics. Cammy's super is a good example.

Kalamari

I'm mostly looking forward to SFV release so everyone can really sink our teeth into the game, instead of playing the ever-changing beta.

mbpm1

I'm gonna risk invoking the ire of most FGCgaf but....I really really hope El Fuerte comes back eventually for SFV...DON'T SHOOT YET HEAR ME OUT PLEASE!

I'm not sure if you folks have played the SFIV Remix mod (you should try it out, btw), but in that mod, amongst the several mechanics changes, one of the brightest ones was turning Habanero Dash into Fuerte's standard dash, and turning all of the follow up specials into standard special moves, this easily slowed things down and made him much less overwhelming/absurd to fight, while still being a lot of fun, imo.

I personally think Fuerte was a pretty darn cool design, both in looks and moveset, but I can see the issue people have with him, which is why I think he could be easily fixed in a game of SFV's nature.

But alas, just hopes and dreams.

No

mbpm1

mbpm1

So in SFV they have those charts with terms like "Aggression" and "Defensive" and "Offensive"

Do those mean anything or are they just flavour? I see them come up after every match

That LoyalSol guy is an Akuma player in SF4 whos always posting super long annoying wall of texts on SRK.

oh, that's who that name reminded me of

Yeah, Arcana Heart sure could use its shit to be less anime girl fetish oriented. If its aesthetic was the poster child for the FGC no one would want in unless you were idgaf about all art and only cared about the mechanics of the genre. I'm pretty die hard on the the genre, but even that isn't enough for me at times because occassionally I just have to put the game on mute for all the "hyaaaaaaan" shit they spout and take a break to play something a little less heavy handed with it.

Why couldn't this anime fighter have had like a mecha theme or some shit instead so folks could enjoy its mechanics without so much fanservice and tropey jank. Just replace the girls with fucking Gundams, Mazingkaiser, or even Overman King Gainer or something... ;_;

Style hyped for Minori though.:p
You know... I never believed that there were people out there who bought playboys for the articles, but if we can stomach the art for mechanics anything else possible. Arcana really is too inventive and too good a fighter despite how it looks. I got it on Steam day one, but I don't really have anyone to play with, so it doesn't get much play and I can't really get good at it. ;_;
Just got curious who the blorpy moe meat tentacle character Saya was in Nitroplus Blasterz Heroines Infinite Duel so I looked up the game she's from.
0WfA63y.jpg

O_O

Saya no Uta
Lets see...main character had agnosia or something and sees the world covered in gore and everyone as monsters...except Saya who IS a monster.
-Eats human flesh and digs it
-All endings either involve everyone dying, or the world ending.
-close friend gets brain damaged rapes saya
-you get committed to mental world
-saya decides rape slaving another friend and turning her into monster would help spice up the romance. Main character digs it
-babies

You know...for the holidays and such its the perfect romantic comedy with moe the whole family can enjoy.
THE FUCK IS THIS!?
I'd play the fuck out of this if there were an uncensored steam version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToYTPeZrzuY

When I saw it I told myself I have to play it one point a few months ago. A regular from the VSav GGPO lobbies sold me on it when he told me how fucked up it gets. Wish you'd spoiler'd some stuff, though.
I'm not certain Skullgirls would feel so fresh without Alex's stuff to be honest. Its hella divisive with folks but it really comes across in the game the personality of the artist and the characters.

As a player though, I'll always pine for good playing games to be more in the artstyle I love. Its just a thing. I get the feeling folks would have been bigger on Blaz Blue had it looked like KI or something. I know if Rachel had a flaming skull for a head and looked Marvel it'd been a big plus for at least one dude here :)
We all have our tastes and we're a fairly western board.
People who don't play BB or SG aren't going to play them just because of an art style change. They've got their SF, KOF or MK that they've been into for years and nothing is going to sway them. Just look at the way GG and BB players have been with one another and that is between fanbases for the same company. We'll never see the Capcom crowd adopt something like an anime fighter just because the anime part is sterilized. Obama will sooner appear on live television and declare his undying love for his favorite waifu.
Wow...the inputs in UNIEL are super easy and responsive. Carmine feels like the love child of Testament and Freemen.

• Magic Series
  • Mashable one button combos for easy confirms
  • large hitboxes for easy links
  • down down motions and forward + button motions for things like projectiles and pillar summoning is super easy for big payoff
  • pretty uniform inputs for super stuff and comeback mechanics are fairly standard proven defensive/offensive modifiers easy to learn.
  • Link timings between moves isn't really super strict meaning I can see it being fun and easy to get good stuff with so long as Touch of Death doesn't begin to reign supreme. Gonna have to play a lot longer to know if enough defensive tools are in play to mitigate this possibility.

Just feels smooth and easy to start learning. Grid system and EXS is gonna take getting used to with the whole tug of war thing for bonuses, but it feels fresh and neat unlike Aquapazza's negative emotion system that had very little way to pull things back in your court. Not certain really what to make of it yet. Gordeau feels fucking monstrous. Last 30% health yielding increases to player moves feels like an evolution on the Arcana Heart Guts idea which gave bonuses to health instead of too the effects of moves. Feels neat.

Overall, I can see myself really enjoying this fighter. Meh on like half the cast's art, but the attacks are snappy and flashy with lots of charisma so I'll be fine considering its leagues above Arcana Heart animation and I love playing that game for what it had.

Seems to be a growing trend these days to make the inputs as easy as possible and to add mashable auto combo or string style things in addition to the standard fair to allow new players to feel impressed with themselves by giving them tools that let them do important things like confirm into combos and execute "the cool stuff" consistently. Good on you game industry. This is like the 4th title or so I've seen in recent years drawing from this same pool of mechanics and it still feels great.
I wish UNIEL had been released on Steam for the holiday instead since I'm pretty sure that my laptop could run it. It's probably the anime fighter I've been dying to try most for the last couple of years (It'd be GG, but no Anji or Baiken means I'll hold onto my dollarydoos).
not being able to die from chip makes endings so much more satisfying
That or it'll cause salt overdoses when several chip attempts fail and you lose a game you'd normally win in most other fighters.
Yeah, my hype for SFV has also dipped a little. I'm more excited for Revelator honestly.
Too bad the online will be near dead real fast.
ASW will forever be their own ball and chain.
It's kind of irrelevant because you already know this game isn't going anywhere. Worst case scenario it's the most popular fighting game for years simply due to the modern business model and the strength of the IP. My biggest complaint is that it looks like ass. The backgrounds look like they're from a PS2 game and if we have to look at that shit for a long time...like, it looks like the textures are supposed to load in but they never do.
Can't wait for PC mods that remove the background characters. Having everyone act like clowns is not good BG character design.
This is a big thing IMO. I fall asleep watching SF IV. Just dull to watch. The footsie play in SFV excites me though. I see a lot more shuffling around and the last hit is one that I see becoming a real intense one not to lose the way SFV is setup compared to SFIV. Its more impressive to watch to me.

Take it for what it is though. I couldn't stand the art and the snail pacing of SFIV and got bored fast with it. I'm finding this one more exciting. Playable even to someone like me.
Same here

After so many years of SFIV I'm really ready for something fresh from SF.
Still think ASW and KOF are gonna be the real treats this year though.
I think ASW will be the stream darling of the year, but their release strategies, delay based netcode and lack of crossplay will continue to hold GG back.
I do feel that stubbier normals make people jump more in SFV. But I guess everyone has Mike Ross syndrome in the beginning of a game.

Also I wish empty jump low was easier. You can't confirm off a lk to 2 lps anymore..
I stuck with Ryu for the three ranked matches I played on the beta (Karin and Mika weren't available yet), but it felt like I was using a midget. Dude's normals were ridiculously short. Karin's normals felt pretty good in comparison, but the game crashed before I could take her for a spin online.
I feel like the "no chip kill" thing would be a little better if the attacker still gained something or the defender still lost something when the defender is blocking at 0 HP. Like maybe a little extra meter gain or loss, respectively. It could make the chip-by-super threat a little more potent, too.

I'm fine with it as it is, though.
That'd be interesting. It's crazy and not lopsided enough to work.
I'm just really glad that Street Fighter V isn't anywhere near as clunky as IV has always been, with solid netcode to boot when matching up against anyone with (at minimum) an average quality connection. Can't say I care one iota about all the "muh comboz!" bellyaching when the series' depth has rarely been synonymous with it.

What a laughably shoddy metric this one is.
Still waiting for changeable delay settings pre-match. Someone fly Mike Z to Japan.
What kills me is that there is no home version of Darkstalkers with all stages.
Too bad because Hunter had some beautiful stages.
The mecca
dq8cskv42abo.gif
YES!

Melty, Skullgirls, Vampire Hunter, Cyberbots, BB and all sorts of stuff you'd struggle to find in a single room anywhere in America.
I feel kind of embarrassed to admit this, but man I finally and truly get all you guys that hate on SF4 for all it's annoying and randoms aspects. Don't get me wrong, I agreed with many of the complaints about SF4 but I didn't truly understand until I played another SF and grinded it out. SF4 isn't my first SF, but I guess that doesn't really matter when all I've ever done in the past 17 years I've been playing SF and Capcom fighters was pick a shoto, do special moves, and did jump kick sweep as a BNB before SF4 came out.

I have to say, it was a really refreshing experience grinding out the beta and getting a really good feel for how this new SF is going to be like. A lot of the randomness and old tactics are gone from SF4 and I honestly don't miss it at all. I don't think SFV is perfect, I still have a number of things that I want to see changed. But instead of being fearful of SFV, now I'm very excited about it.
You have no idea how cathartic this is after all those years I've seen you arguing with people about SF4 here on GAF. It's not the worst fighter ever, but people really put it on a pedestal when it's not even exceptional as a SF title, let alone as a fighting game in general.

Meh, sf4 is an exceptional sf and fighting game. It aint perfect and has alot of flaws, like many a game. It just happens to be a popular one (within the small fg niche) and gets the bigger microscope.

You have no idea how cathartic this is after all those years I've seen you arguing with people about SF4 here on GAF. It's not the worst fighter ever, but people really put it on a pedestal when it's not even exceptional as a SF title, let alone as a fighting game in general.

Hmm, I've defended the game but I don't think I ever made claims like it was the best, just that it was my favorite. And that could change in time with SFV since I really like it so far. I really will miss a lot of things about SF4. Seeing the insane stuff that top players can do with all the tech, reads, and shear craziness really made the game amazing to watch at high level. But like it's been said by many people, that was SF4 and this is a new game and it doesn't need to include all or any of the stuff that was present or introduced in SF4.

That being said I think the jury is still out on how fun it will be to watch the game. I thought the Pre-Capcom Cup tournaments were pretty good, easily the best I've seen from SFV to date. But still pale in comparison to high level USF4 tournaments IMO. I hope that changes in time because I really want SFV to blow up and take that next step in the Esports Arena(we're using that word from now on instead of "competitive gaming", right?).

Yubiken released pools for the SFV tournament that should be streamed in about 24 hours. http://yubiken.challonge.com/sf5_1st

Notables: KSK, Ino, Dashio, Jinetta, Haneyama, Ikatsui Yarou, Akimo, Xie, Hagejin, Santarou, OGTY, Cojiro, Tonpy

I'm not really expecting high level as it depends how much they've played the beta. I know Cojiro played a lot of the beta as well as Ino. Not sure about the others.

petghost

Banned
here is ultradavid doing commentary over a long MOV vs Kuroda 3s set. its very cool and i hope he keeps making more of these. kuroda's makoto is so rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwrjU4wsoy0

It's on sale, digitally or even physically I think through one of the few companies that translate or localize visual novels for the west.

Saya No Uta actually got an official translation for the west.

awesome imma try to get it then. also really wanna try ever 17 some day because 999 and vlr are some of the very few vn's ive played and i loved them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom