• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry1594

Not sure about stages, but the PSP release had all the characters and you could pick any version of the character, even if they didn't exist in that game.
The ps2 version has all the games so it does have all the stages. All of them aren't selectable for one game though. Plus it's 480i so you aren't missing much.

Astarte

Why is Pet Shop still broken

Blackswordsman arc being animated after 2 decades.

What a time to be alive...

YEAR OF DREAMS BABY AWWWWW SHIT!

Everyone should at least conclude the year of dreams with a playthrough of God Hand if you guys haven't! It's really fun!

Also preemptive Beef ward

tumblr_inline_nm56jetugH1r9sfh2_400.jpg

Meh, sf4 is an exceptional sf and fighting game. It aint perfect and has alot of flaws, like many a game. It just happens to be a popular one (within the small fg niche) and gets the bigger microscope.
You wouldn't know it if you came into most "best fighting game" or "best fighting game to learn basics from" threads here. GG, SG, VSav, BB, some 3D fighters and other games are presented more often alongside their faults to keep expectations in check instead of being tossed out there without context like SF4 just because it has a huge audience. I can't remember the last time SF4 was recommended, but with the caveats of a large roster size, delay based netcode (pretty mediocre unless you are SCV or TTT2), no teaching tools or a wonky and difficult input system. In comparison it's not unusual for a lot of other games to be described as too fast (VSav), contentious in their aesthetic (BB, Skullgirls and Arcana), too small in roster size (skullgirls), too LARGE in roster size (think Tekken), too complex (KOF XIII or AC+R which isn't even that difficult), too easy (Why would you want SCV to be HARDER!?) or too lopsided in their balance (Third Strike) even by the people doing the recommending.

Fake Edit: I think I went off on a tangent. I guess part of me has also been kind of annoyed with the way SF4 is presented by the audience and not just how it plays.
Hmm, I've defended the game but I don't think I ever made claims like it was the best, just that it was my favorite. And that could change in time with SFV since I really like it so far. I really will miss a lot of things about SF4. Seeing the insane stuff that top players can do with all the tech, reads, and shear craziness really made the game amazing to watch at high level. But like it's been said by many people, that was SF4 and this is a new game and it doesn't need to include all or any of the stuff that was present or introduced in SF4.

That being said I think the jury is still out on how fun it will be to watch the game. I thought the Pre-Capcom Cup tournaments were pretty good, easily the best I've seen from SFV to date. But still pale in comparison to high level USF4 tournaments IMO. I hope that changes in time because I really want SFV to blow up and take that next step in the Esports Arena(we're using that word from now on instead of "competitive gaming", right?).
The top players really made it something special. The best footage definitely came from EVO top 32 and Japanese arcade tournaments. Other games can have their yearly peaks at entirely different times in comparison. SFV is probably going to need more characters playing in new ways to capture people to the degree SFIV did. We'll see if the V system is enough to do that in a year or two when the cast has grown by 6-12 characters. Sagat and Balrog had better get a mean makeover after being active in the series for so long.
Blackswordsman arc being animated after 2 decades.

What a time to be alive...
CG and no fixed schedule for the manga put a damper on the announcement.

jerry1594

I don't know where you've been but that probably goes to Fallout 3 and soon Fallout 4 maybe. Barring games with low expectations like Assassin's Creed and straight up bad games.

I don't know where you've been but SF4 is literally the most shit-talked game I've ever seen.
That title was thoroughly earned by SFxT if we're talking fighting games. Everything I've ever said in life could be a lie, but this would be the one truth lol. Also, a popular or main entry getting shit is nothing. It only really matters when it drags the game down in the process. Third Strike fans would get that.

I can't make a longer post Solar cause im on mobile, hehe. But ive seen so many people talk shit about and hate on sf4. Sfxtk, people just dont care. Its not played. People talked shit, then stopped playing.

I can't make a longer post Solar cause im on mobile, hehe. But ive seen so many people talk shit about and hate on sf4. Sfxtk, people just dont care. Its not played. People talked shit, then stopped playing.
SF4 is treated a lot more nicely nowadays. I'd say it probably has to do with people not acting like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Sagat doesnt need a makeover, his design is iconic.
I don't know if you are talking about gameplay, aesthetics or both. Dhalsim, Ken and Zangief benefited greatly from gameplay makeovers (and visual ones for a couple here). Sagat could definitely benefit the way Zangief and Dhalsim did at the very least.

I think Sagat would be good as-is. Just the removal of focus attacks makes his long limbs a lot stronger. Though if they cut his pokes like they have everyone else, then yeah, he'll need some help.

Swarna

I'd like to see an evolution of SF4 Sagat with his quick forward dashing and forward-moving attacks while still keeping his slow walk speed/slow backing speed. SF4 Sagat was the most fun version of him ever and his buttons are satisfying. He will have weaker fire balls anyways because that's how this game goes but I'd like to see his other aspects brought to the forefront. Bringing the best of how Bonchan plays Sagat to SF5 as a character basically.

SF4 is treated a lot more nicely nowadays. I'd say it probably has to do with people not acting like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I don't know if you are talking about gameplay, aesthetics or both. Dhalsim, Ken and Zangief benefited greatly from gameplay makeovers (and visual ones for a couple here). Sagat could definitely benefit the way Zangief and Dhalsim did at the very least.

It can be a great game and still not be the best thing since sliced bread. And everybody's idea of sliced bread is different of course ;)

And i would love for sagat to get a big overhaul. Boxer as well. There is a material to pull from.

Grakl

So I've grown up with SFIV, never really played any other fighting game.

After SFV beta SFIV feels pretty kusoge tbh lol

Will be interesting to see how no chip death affects zoners. Their entire game plan might have to change once their opponent is on their last pixel of life. If the zoner decides to just stay away and keep zoning regardless, it could lead to time outs and such. I don't see how it couldn't be interpreted as a comeback mechanic though (if it doesn't end up being a particularly potent one).
Too soon to say with certainty, but I don't really think it'll be much of an issue. F.A.N.G looks to have sufficient offensive options from what little footage we've seen and Dhalsim comes off as a far more kinetic character compared to past iterations after witnessing the general approach of Arturo and other able players.

El Sloth

Banned
Combo Breaker made a cool trailer for their 2016 tournament: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUxrl_JK42I&feature=youtu.be

Doesn't feel like we get as many tournament trailers as we used to a few years ago. I remember the days of wubwub dubstep everywhere.
Doesn't Alpha counter negate this?
I did see someone avoid a chip kill against Dhalsim's super on Art's stream by using the v-reversal. Could still change in the final build tho.

Nightii

Banned
Guile gets shade throwing V-Skill. V-Trigger is putting shades on, restoring his normals to patriotic old SF levels.

Balrog gets an eye poke V-Skill, little damage and range but big stun. V-Trigger is a command grab, basically his old Dirty Bull.

Mizerman

Guile will need to have a third special in his Vskill. :O

Heh.

Guile better start learning some new moves and actually keeping them.

If Guile doesn't bring the shades to V then he may as well stay in IV

They'll probably incorporate his shades in some fashion, nowadays.

Guile gets shade throwing V-Skill. V-Trigger is putting shades on, restoring his normals to patriotic old SF levels.

Balrog gets an eye poke V-Skill, little damage and range but big stun. V-Trigger is a command grab, basically his old Dirty Bull.

Yeah, I have a feeling that Balrog is gonna get more illegal boxing maneuvers in his moveset.

I think Guile will get a Sonic Boom that acts like Trish's scythe super for his VTrigger. 3 seconds of blockstun for free mixups or something.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Combo Breaker made a cool trailer for their 2016 tournament: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUxrl_JK42I&feature=youtu.be

Doesn't feel like we get as many tournament trailers as we used to a few years ago. I remember the days of wubwub dubstep everywhere.

Was I confusing final round with combo breaker? I'm sorry CurlyW lol, I'm definitely going since its at the end of May. The flights are super cheap too, around 200 bucks on average. Would love to use jetblue buts its over 400.... yikes

HIT ME UP CURLY LOL...

Just tried reserving, they don't have any tower doubles... only queen size beds... curly pls fix

El Sloth

Banned
Final Round is in Atlanta and run by Shinblanka.

Combo Breaker is in(?) Chicago and run by TheHadou. It was born out of UFGT's ashes.

Anne

I'm to the point where most events I go to are so whatever I'll prolly just try to make CB and CEO events this year. I might go to some regionals too since they're hit and miss, but big events lately have been so miss I'm just not interested in paying out the ass for them.

I'll get on fightcade right now if anyone is interested in VSav or 3S. Playing gaffers in any sort of fighter is my idea of a great time, but it almost never happens.
It can be a great game and still not be the best thing since sliced bread. And everybody's idea of sliced bread is different of course ;)

And i would love for sagat to get a big overhaul. Boxer as well. There is a material to pull from.
Muay Thai has so many different forms and moves that boggles the mind. I'd be okay with Sagat having some new straight up counter moves for close range.
I think Guile will get a Sonic Boom that acts like Trish's scythe super for his VTrigger. 3 seconds of blockstun for free mixups or something.
See, that right there would be freaking awesome.

Marz

Benefited in what way? Dhalsim looks just as shitty as ever tbh and now he has even less horizontal ground control and it remains to be seen if the other characters "benefited". Change just for the sake of change isnt always something to applaud.

petghost

Banned
Benefited in what way? Dhalsim looks just as shitty as ever tbh and now he has even less horizontal ground control and it remains to be seen if the other characters "benefited". Change just for the sake of change isnt always something to applaud.

i think sim seems like a more interesting character now which is imo a great benefit despite how good he winds up being. if ryu couldnt throw fireballs or something i could see how that could be considered unnecessary change but giving sim a more specific and varied toolset that is in the same vein as what he normally does seems fine. its not like sf4 sim was close to st sim, the characters have changed quite a bit and i hope they continue to do so.

WarRock

There's a lack of Cindi post, much more enthusiastic then the rest of us are and a breathe of fresh air. We've already become old and decrepit from the FGC, when will we find the elixir of rejuvenation?!

I've been busy!

and I loved SFV beta when it got working. Not sure why people find it bland. Though I am disappointed Chun has less specials than in IV. Missing hazenshu, but I'm finding alternatives!

I have to say I like a lot of SFV's accessibility choices. I had trouble making combos in SFIV because of 1 frame links. I like that I don't have to work too much into teaching myself new combos. I know that makes me a scrub probably, but I don't think learning basic combos should be that hard to master.

She's the only character that can link lp ~ mp so count ya blessings

?

You can link LP to MP? Sounds useful!

I have to say I like a lot of SFV's accessibility choices. I had trouble making combos in SFIV because of 1 frame links. I like that I don't have to work too much into teaching myself new combos. I know that makes me a scrub probably, but I don't think learning basic combos should be that hard to master.

?

You can link LP to MP? Sounds useful!

Ofc it's useful. Especially with how good jabs between pressure is looking (right now at least) cr. jab ~ st.MP ~ cr.MK ~ legs. easy hit confirms easy life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom