• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

Any opinions on the Hori Fighting Commander 4? I'm considering either picking that up or struggling to learn stick again.
I have it and I like it a lot. Hori is making a new Fighting commander with a new dpad that is spposed to come out soon or has come out. So you might want to wait or see if the new one is in stock.

DunpealD

Merry Christmas FGH-GAF.

Comeback Engine makes me feel bad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww0FVdeohoE
I could never do these...

Does not work on Elena.
c5f.gif

For real. Every time I see your non-DoA gameplay I am on the verge of cringing.
Get into the trenches like Cindi, learn the basics and application like Frame data, hitboxes, footsies, hitconfirms, etc.

Also for those who say "My normals get wrecked by his/her normals". Juicebox is probably going to say footsies.

If you don't, don't expect to play and get better. You will still get wrecked in SFIV, SFV, SFVI, ..., SF∞. Lose 1000 more times and you will still not get satisfactory progress, because you are not capable of reflecting on your matches beyond a shallow level.
The fact that you think you cannot learn from higher level play means you do not possess the base for a >novice, scrub player or any basis for meaningful deeper advice. Anything else than "stop jumping so much" is going to be above your level.
This is on you. Put in the time. Learn it once, learn it forever, get better.

Onto another topic:

Anybody interested in doing a Fighting Game Beginners Dojo on non-OT GAF?
I.e. general thread for Fighting game fundamentals that can help people get into fighting games, no matter which game.
Considering there is a ton of new games coming out it might be a good time to draw in new blood.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I have it and I like it a lot. Hori is making a new Fighting commander with a new dpad that is spposed to come out soon or has come out. So you might want to wait or see if the new one is in stock.

This is what I'm looking at:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TKLFES8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I.e. general thread for Fighting game fundamentals that can help people get into fighting games, no matter which game.
Considering there is a ton of new games coming out it might be a good time to draw in new blood.
Could be worthwhile. Might be worth brainstorming a bunch of things to go over before making a thread though.

Astarte

Everything digital dies on Christmas.

This makes me mad because there's always the "but we'll fix it next year" option select or some shit

This is why fighting games should stay on consoles :V

Unfortunately my college internet makes it so that I can only play online with PC users :[

Onto another topic:

I'd be down for being the resident punching bag. I only play dead games anyway, so anyone can beat my ass in SF or the like.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I'm glad I didn't log into steam today...
Nor save CC info on there.. learned my lesson from PSN hack.

Same here, kinda bought KOF last night though. My friend ended up having a russian account on his mac and he just closed it, wondering what the hell was happening.

DunpealD

Could be worthwhile. Might be worth brainstorming a bunch of things to go over before making a thread though.

That would be the plan. OP going to have a lot of resources like glossary, fundamentals, mindset, etc.
I.e. it will be purely about fundamentals and how to apply them across all games.

EDIT: Maybe a list of teaching volunteers for specific games.

I'd be down for being the resident punching bag. I only play dead games anyway, so anyone can beat my ass in SF or the like.
In the grand scheme of things it is irrelevant which game anybody is playing.
Purpose of the thread is going to be helping newer players to get into fighting games in general, specializations into specific games is another matter and can be added or redirected if needed.

shaowebb

WOO! New Freedom Planet, livestream from a shmup industry convention starting now with a new Cave title announced, and just found a cool new thing in Unity I can do related to fighters. Day keeps getting better and better!

I'm trying to shed myself of dependence on custom-made converters.
Good idea. Comfort zones are good but they can be reacquired with new hardware. Sad to see your saturn pad disappear from events, but it'll be neat seeing you pad warrior new gear for once that wasnt made in a garage to convert old controllers to new systems.

Sixfortyfive

That would be the plan. OP going to have a lot of resources like glossary, fundamentals, mindset, etc.
I.e. it will be purely about fundamentals and how to apply them across all games.

EDIT: Maybe a list of teaching volunteers for specific games.

In the grand scheme of things it is irrelevant which game anybody is playing.
Purpose of the thread is going to be helping newer players to get into fighting games in general, specializations into specific games is another matter and can be added or redirected if needed.

I honestly think the biggest things that new players lack tend to concern attitude and approach more than any particular techniques or game knowledge. Things like "knowing how to get the 1st hit of a combo is more important than how to get the 10th hit," "you don't have to perform like a pro; you just have to beat the other scrub sitting next to you," and how to look back at prior games you've played to figure out what worked or didn't work and why. And those kinds of things are general knowledge that definitely applies to every game.

Good idea. Comfort zones are good but they can be reacquired with new hardware. Sad to see your saturn pad disappear from events, but it'll be neat seeing you pad warrior new gear for once that wasnt made in a garage to convert old controllers to new systems.

Are you still in the Huntington area? Might be getting together with friends for some games at some point this weekend and I'd invite you along if so.

We've been focusing more on Puyo Puyo Tetris than fighters recently, though.

shaowebb

I honestly think the biggest things that new players lack tend to concern attitude and approach more than any particular techniques or game knowledge. Things like "knowing how to get the 1st hit of a combo is more important than how to get the 10th hit," "you don't have to perform like a pro; you just have to beat the other scrub sitting next to you," and how to look back at prior games you've played to figure out what worked or didn't work and why. And those kinds of things are general knowledge that definitely applies to every game.

Are you still in the Huntington area? Might be getting together with friends for some games at some point this weekend and I'd invite you along if so.

We've been focusing more on Puyo Puyo Tetris than fighters recently, though.
I live around Fairmont at the top of the state now. Got employed up there in a power plant. Sucks because you dudes were down south along with my MK/Injustice running mates. All we got up here are Smashers everywhere. Im close by till tomorrow for the holidays then its back to the power plant on Monday. BTW how good is Puyo/Tetris? Ive wanted it for a long while and I'm still butthurt its import only.

Sixfortyfive

I live around Fairmont at the top of the state now. Got employed up there in a power plant. Sucks because you dudes were down south along with my MK/Injustice running mates. All we got up here are Smashers everywhere. Im close by till tomorrow for the holidays then its back to the power plant on Monday. BTW how good is Puyo/Tetris? Ive wanted it for a long while and I'm still butthurt its import only.

I live in Atlanta now. I'm just in town for Christmas.

Each time I've come back home over the course of the past 4 years or so, someone I used to know has died from a heroin overdose. Shit seems to have gotten pretty bad. Most of my friends left after college like I did.

shaowebb

Each time I've come back home over the course of the past 4 years or so, someone I used to know has died from a heroin overdose. Shit seems to have gotten pretty bad. Most of my friends left after college like I did.
Ugh...heroin is bad. Hate to hear that happened to anyone. BTW what did you major in? Anything nerdy?

.la1n

Heroin is pretty rampant through Atlanta and throughout US 77 and 40. When I was in college it was mostly cocaine, escalated quick.

shaowebb

Computer science. Got a job at CGI and mostly do various database work for Tractor Supply Co. now.
Hmmm...know any C#? Im doin stuff in Unity and code some and my brother in law codes fulltime and is gonna help me in Unity with stuff as I develop but its always cool to know of other folks with skill and a passion for the FGC with skills. Might be cool to talk shop sometime as I get further along to see if its something you'd be interested in or not.

DunpealD

I honestly think the biggest things that new players lack tend to do with attitude and approach more than any particular techniques or game knowledge. Things like "knowing how to get the 1st hit of a combo is more important than how to get the 10th hit," "you don't have to perform like a pro; you just have to beat the other scrub sitting next to you," and how to look back at prior games you've played to figure out what worked or didn't work and why. And those kinds of things are general knowledge that definitely applies to every game.

Agreed. Beginners always like combos, but very rarely they ever think about how to actually create the opportunity to apply them. As well as other stuff. Such as what to do after a combo, setting up an advantageous situation, deciding which combo to use(positioning or damage?), knowing what a practical combo is and what not.
As Juicebox already said. Basics are not intuitive, at least not yet, and with that thread we are going to try making it easier.

It's going to be the gist of it.
Showing them a proper mindset and tools to analyze themselves. A beginner cannot use critical thinking alone. You need a basic amount of knowledge which you can apply critical thinking to.
Frame data for example is pretty much universally applied and learning it leads into an array of tech/ideas like frame trap, meaties, punishes, purpose of knockdowns and more.

Sixfortyfive

Heroin is pretty rampant through Atlanta and throughout US 77 and 40. When I was in college it was mostly cocaine, escalated quick.

There's other shit to do or see in Atlanta, though, so it's feasible to avoid it.

The Huntington tri-state area has considerably less going for it, and it consistently ranks at the bottom of "most miserable metro areas in the US" type lists. People here have to get their kicks somehow, and the choices made are often pretty destructive. Ever seen the Wild & Wonderful Whites of West Virginia? That's not too far removed from where I grew up.

When I was in high school, it was prescription drug abuse that ran rampant. Then it was meth during college, and now it's heroin.

Hmmm...know any C#? Im doin stuff in Unity and code some and my brother in law codes fulltime and is gonna help me in Unity with stuff as I develop but its always cool to know of other folks with skill and a passion for the FGC with skills. Might be cool to talk shop sometime as I get further along to see if its something you'd be interested in or not.

All I use on a regular basis for work is SQL. I know enough PHP, C, C++, Java, and HTML to get by. I want to learn Javascript and Flash in order to take some of my streaming projects to the next level.

shaowebb

There's other shit to do or see in Atlanta, though, so it's feasible to avoid it.

The Huntington tri-state area has considerably less going for it, and it consistently ranks at the bottom of "most miserable metro areas in the US" type lists. Ever seen the Wild & Wonderful Whites of West Virginia? That's not too far removed from where I grew up.
He aint kidding. We got more trailers than full sets of teeth around here. TONS of pill heads out here. Meth toof is a common sight. Its pretty much a few blocks of local business and fast food slung up around a college with distant islands of industry here and there across this state. Sucks. Its a large reason why I would like to move to Duke energy in Florida if possible just to be near Tampa and Orlando stuff. Itd be like blowing into the current century from the woods.
Hell in Orlando I can find regular locals for everything from current Capcom to fucking Chaos Code and Arcana Heart levels of obscure fighting game scenes. It'd be a dream.

Kumubou

How do you all feel about hitstun decay / untech time expiration combo systems? For me, it feels really odd that some combos work or don't depending on the starter or combo length even though the situation is the same. Doesn't help that some moves have tons of untechable time and you can chain them together for a long time.
I'm personally not a fan of hitstun decay as a combo mechanic, and that's mainly because it makes combos feel inconsistent. It can be really frustrating to have a combo work in one situation but not another and not have it be obvious why. It also means you need to learn way more combo variations and routes, which I am not a fan of (because my execution sucks).

If I was designing a fighting game (and if that ever happened, I would advise running for the hills), I would trend toward having a game with some fixed combo limits (such as the number of wall/floor bounces, or limits on certain cancels) and then have a failsafe mechanic (such as MvC2's uncombo state or MBAA's meter ramping) that should never normally happen but is there in case something in the game breaks (because it will).

Baby Boomers 1

Millennials 0
That's an L an entire generation is going to take.

We both avoided Cabel because it always ended with that guy. Assist and super are so good.
MvC2 is great on all levels of play especially when you feel like you "discover" a good team.

jerry1594

Yeah, that is the current/old model. I saw the new model selling for 30,000 yen at play asia or yes Asia before shipping. Which will be more than the $35 that amazon is charging.
Link? I don't believe the upgrade warrents a 700% price increase. Don't get why the current version is almost $70 on play-asia though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom