• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sol is another character who I feel like revolves around one style...i nean ive never really seen a defensive Sol. He has a dp but all of his tools are for corner carry and 100% RTSD.

Iori has like rekkas, command grab... what else? Ive always viewed him as just a high dmg character?

I mean, it's Guilty Gear. Everyone is aggressive. Even the zoners zone just to force an opening so they can run pressure on you. He's aggressive most of the time, but Xrd Sol does have some good defensive/poking potential to keep his own space and just pretty much everything you could ask for in a character, even some good long pokes. One example.

Iori has pretty much everything. Good buttons for both pressure, footsies and AA, a dp, rekkas, a meh fireball but a fireball nonetheless, high mobility, a command grab he can make invincible with meter, some dirty mixups into high damage... He's just a very complete character.

Karate, much the same. He has everything from pressure tools to pokes and just about every special move category you can think of. He's also probably the character whose antiairs hurt the most in the game.

jesus new consoles suck. you can't play shit out of the box and have to download a bunch of crap as soon as you pop the disk in. sitting here installing and downloading a bunch of crap for my nephews ps4 and games.

The Wii was the last actual video game console, and even then only barely. Consoles more or less died with the PS2, GC and Xbox.

I've been saying this since day one of 13's announcement, and again when given a second chance with 13SE on PC. Rollback could have easily increased sales and extended the life of the game, but they didn't and it died online for both platforms. I even remember people on SRK and IRC claiming they'd pass on the game if it didn't use rollback, and after getting burned with 12 I know most meant it. Hell, even I was considering passing on the damn game because of what I knew about SNKP, and how ass delay based netcode usually is. Thankfully, Steam Edition did wonders when it came to online (compared to console), but the connections in general were still too damn spotty to waste time trying to play randoms on ranked, so everyone defaulted to PMing friends. If 14 doesn't have rollback, I doubt I'll be investing any real time into it.

I think the lack of multiplayer lobbies is a far bigger strike against 13 and 02UM. Lobbies create a sense of life and community which keeps people coming back, and enable streamed lobbies which again helps people find like-minded players and makes the game feel more alive. I know I started playing fighters in one short-lived stream lobby here in Europe. Nowadays that duty's filled by the local FGC's IRC channel, Steam chats with individuals and someone streaming a lot of the time.

Also, If anyone still plays 13 or the UMs then shoot me a PM with your steam ID and I'll add you.

If you're EU, add Coffeeling. I love 2k2 and don't mind playing 13 either.

mike z did a really cool write up on things he would change about 3s were he to sirlinize it.

http://mikezsez.blogspot.com/2015/12/what-id-change-for-third-strike-upper-3s.html

i dream this happens someday. would pay good money for a 3s update especially if it came packaged with an arcade perfect 3s port.

Give me a good Steam port and I'll snap buy it.

The thing that jumps out at me from the patch notes is that Chun doesn't really do damage outside of super - even button xx fireball hardly combos - so if you make her primary and largely only source of damage harder to land, harder to get, unable to stock multiples, you can end up with something like SF4 Sim that just doesn't do damage. It's even the same kind of deal with ST Claw - walldives are fucking BS, but that's where the damage comes from.

If I were to take bs away from either one (and both well deserve it), I'd do something to improve their ability to do some basic combos so there's some bite left.

Akuma suffered like this from AE2012 to Ultra - changes that, on their face, seemed reasonable, but didn't take into account what the end product looked like - in Akuma's case a character with lots of support player buttons meant to work around a bread and butter button - used to be his sweep. Sweep got killed, suddenly the character fell apart. He instantly became good again when the fireball buff made his cr.mk a real thing, because the character construction was actually in place again.

The online is booty cheeks man, I don't know how you play on that.

I guess Count got a shitty connection. When I play USF4 on PC, it plays so damn well while on PS4 online is like I'm moving through water. Offline feels the same for both, its online that hurts me.

dQYhvuW.gif

For some random reason and I can't remember why, I wanted to see how good Sean was in 2i and how the game was since I never played it

lmao at the DBZ power ups to start
Sean's blocked tatsu kick pushes opponents so far in the corner and looks safe on top of that lol

I swear there was a build of SFV that had meter gain on whiffed normals

WarRock

Reading on MikeZ's 3S notes... Q's HK is -10 on hit!?

how the fuck does that happens

And this would be pretty cool:
Allow all air normals to be special-cancelled on hit/block into A.X.E. (j.214P) or D.R.A. (j.214K) and super-cancelled into X.F.L.A.T (SAII). Air mobility is his "thing", why not let it go a bit further...

shaowebb

『Inaba Resident』;190539068 said:
Just ran into Wolfkrone on Dengeki Bunko.
I'm getting bodied

Climax or Ignition? Also who is he playing?
I started playing some this morning and I'm really digging some of the unique character movesets in this game. Mikoto Misaka has a really cool move that puts her hovering in the air able to dash to another hover point like twice more. She can shoot projectiles once after each air dash from these spots and her down AB is essentially big band's full screen stomp. Plus that Basketball loli Tomoko Minato has the coolest zoning and catch state stuff I've ever seen. Run up grabs with armor, summoning characters behind you that either create overheads or catch states that launcher you (sometimes MULTIPLE times), and grab supers if they get to close. Badass tools on those two.

petghost

Banned

I agree that if I was to rebalance chun I'd want to make her other supers more viable and maybe give her something else to spend meter on to extend combos but even if you completely remove sa2 you still got a char with arguably the best set of normals ever, an amazing kara throw etc so it's not like yun where he lives and dies by his super.removing yuns priority in genei jin and nerfing meter gain on whiff would solve a lot of problems for that character immediately.

MechaX

Man, watching Max play SF3 last night on his stream really got me in the mood to play some older fighting games.

And I just realized that I never seriously played any SF Alpha game even though I own... a few of them I think (I know I have a PS1 one and a Saturn one). What is considered the "best" Alpha game if it's not just Alpha 3?

Climax or Ignition? Also who is he playing?
I started playing some this morning and I'm really digging some of the unique character movesets in this game. Mikoto Misaka has a really cool move that puts her hovering in the air able to dash to another hover point like twice more. She can shoot projectiles once after each air dash from these spots and her down AB is essentially big band's full screen stomp. Plus that Basketball loli Tomoko Minato has the coolest zoning and catch state stuff I've ever seen. Run up grabs with armor, summoning characters behind you that either create overheads or catch states that launcher you (sometimes MULTIPLE times), and grab supers if they get to close. Badass tools on those two.

Ignition. He's using Quenser. Dude has been on a long ass streak in this lobby (like 20 wins) and Quenser seems like a ridiculous character He has insane hit confirms and really good damage output. And yeah Tomoko is super cool. A lot of the characters have really interesting tools. Throw in assists and its even more interesting. Really enjoying this game. Having trouble deciding on a main though. Considering Quenser, Kuroko, Kirito, or Taiga right now.

Tripon

Man, watching Max play SF3 last night on his stream really got me in the mood to play some older fighting games.

And I just realized that I never seriously played any SF Alpha game even though I own... a few of them I think (I know I have a PS1 one and a Saturn one). What is considered the "best" Alpha game if it's not just Alpha 3?
There are people in the Alpha 2 and Alpha 3 camp. Everyone agrees that Alpha 1 is a bad kosuge.

Rhapsody

Banned

In the US, it's split between Alpha 2 and 3 while Japan's mostly about Alpha 3.

No one really bothers with the upgraded version of those games though (SFA2 Gold, etc).

shaowebb

『Inaba Resident』;190542155 said:
Ignition. He's using Quenser. Dude has been on a long ass streak in this lobby (like 20 wins) and Quenser seems like a ridiculous character He has insane hit confirms and really good damage output. And yeah Tomoko is super cool. A lot of the characters have really interesting tools. Throw in assists and its even more interesting. Really enjoying this game. Having trouble deciding on a main though. Considering Quenser, Kuroko, Kirito, or Taiga right now.

Neat.
I've really been digging some of the assists too. Unlike what I've heard of Nitroplus Blasterz this game has some really good assists. I can use that girl who throws flower pettles like a ghetto version of Doom Rocks and Celty from Durara's alternate attack is so big it just plain stuffs folks when they try to get in and a motorcycle falls from the heavens on em. Plus her regular bike assist is a fantastic GTFO. She worked really good with the zoning on basketball girl. Fucking Dokuro Chan is like Vajra assist and Rising Fang with her stuff too. Great game all over!

Neat.
I've really been digging some of the assists too. Unlike what I've heard of Nitroplus Blasterz this game has some really good assists. I can use that girl who throws flower pettles like a ghetto version of Doom Rocks and Celty from Durara's alternate attack is so big it just plain stuffs folks when they try to get in and a motorcycle falls from the heavens on em. Plus her regular bike assist is a fantastic GTFO. She worked really good with the zoning on basketball girl. Fucking Dokuro Chan is like Vajra assist and Rising Fang with her stuff too. Great game all over!
What determines when you can call assists in these games?

shaowebb

I just started but it seems like you just hit it and then theres a period you wait before you can call them again. I'm not seeing any meter cost or anything. You either hit partner or partner+direction. Each is a different attack. Not sure but I think they are air okay. Meaning whoever you play gets 2 assist options by selecting one partner so you can sorta have some options.
Here are all the ones that are in Climax

Ignition just came out in japan and has a few more. Check that list out though because they get pretty wild. Some are even purely defensive. I think Boogiepop as an assist must have invincibility or some shit...

Rhapsody

Banned

There's an assist cooldown that varies from assist to assist. Using an assist when you're doing a combo costs 1 meter as opposed to doing it in neutral with no cost. However, if you've activated your Trump Card (which I won't get into in this post) and that mode is still activated, the meter cost is gone and you can also use assists in the air.

The game revolves around using bursts and activating your Trump Card and snowballing your opponent.
It's actually a pretty resource heavy game despite how simple some of the other parts are.

I just started but it seems like you just hit it and then theres a period you wait before you can call them again. I'm not seeing any meter cost or anything. You either hit partner or partner+direction. Each is a different attack. Meaning whoever you play gets 2 assist options by selecting one partner so you can sorta have some options.

Adding on to this, canceling into an assist from a normal or special costs a bar of meter.
Also, after using a trump card, canceling into an assist costs no meter. Calling an assist also no longer has any startup animation so you can also call them in the air.

Kumubou

There's an assist cooldown that varies from assist to assist. Using an assist when you're doing a combo costs 1 meter as opposed to doing it in neutral with no cost. However, if you've activated your Trump Card (which I won't get into in this post) and that mode is still activated, the meter cost is gone and you can also use assists in the air.

The game revolves around using bursts and activating your Trump Card and snowballing your opponent.
It's actually a pretty resource heavy game despite how simple some of the other parts are.
I think it was a smart move to put so much emphasis on resource management in DBFC. They've managed to simplify most other aspects of the game, so I think that gives newer players a bit more bandwidth to manage one important thing, and if they can manage their resources well in DBFC that skill will then carry over to any other fighting game they end up playing.

The game is a fair bit better than I initially expected. Too bad I would be inclined to throw a large portion of the roster in a trash compactor. :\

Rhapsody

Banned
I think it was a smart move to put so much emphasis on resource management in DBFC. They've managed to simplify most other aspects of the game, so I think that gives newer players a bit more bandwidth to manage one important thing, and if they can manage their resources well in DBFC that skill will then carry over to any other fighting game they end up playing.

The game is a fair bit better than I initially expected. Too bad I would be inclined to throw a large portion of the roster in a trash compactor. :\

Yeah, the game panned out to be pretty interesting with how it's handled. It's definitely a neat take to make something really simple yet add quite a bit of depth in other areas so the majority can still handle it.

I know people call some waifus trash, but harsh D:

I just started but it seems like you just hit it and then theres a period you wait before you can call them again. I'm not seeing any meter cost or anything. You either hit partner or partner+direction. Each is a different attack. Not sure but I think they are air okay. Meaning whoever you play gets 2 assist options by selecting one partner so you can sorta have some options.
Here are all the ones that are in Climax

Ignition just came out in japan and has a few more. Check that list out though because they get pretty wild. Some are even purely defensive. I think Boogiepop as an assist must have invincibility or some shit...

What's the typical cooldown range like?

Where can I see high level Selvaria play? :-D

Nyoro SF

Just FYI Karst Selvaria is the hardest character to win with due to her poor defense so be prepared to put in work.

Getting Asuna off of your back might be one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in fighting games period lol

Some cool assists. Color me interested if I can see the gameplay.

Just FYI Karst Selvaria is the hardest character to win with due to her poor defense so be prepared to put in work.

Getting Asuna off of your back might be one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in fighting games period lol
I don't think I've ever played a character with good defense in a fighting game before, so I'm already there as long as she's actually viable.

shaowebb

Wait...I just watched that vid. Does Dokuro Chan have a 3rd attack she can do as an assist only on wakeup at the cost of 3meters and health!? LOL! Desperate as fuuuuuuuuuuuck if you use that shit to get past oki shenanigans. I'd love to see if you can double KO in that state and have Dokuro Chan the only winner lol.

Rhapsody

Banned
What's the typical cooldown range like?

Where can I see high level Selvaria play? :-D

I want to say maybe around 10 seconds (maybe less)? It's enough to where you have to play without it for just a bit if you used it in neutral but didn't open them up and finish a combo.

A lot of the Leisureland arcade footage can be found here https://www.youtube.com/user/Tsuntenshi/videos

Selvaria isn't really highly used, but there's some footage of her there somewhere.

MrDaravon

So is viewing twitch archives a shitshow now, or is something up today? I just want to watch floe playing FF7, and it plays for 30 seconds then buffers for 5 minutes to play another 30 seconds and repeat. I am having zero internet problems, live broadcasts are fine and any other online video service is fine as far as I can tell. I haven't watched a twitch archive in forever but don't remember having this problem before. Super annoying.

Alternatively is there a way or program to download twitch archives? A quick google search gave me a few options, but also had people saying most of those options install or try to install bullshit alongside it. I just want to watch this one video :(

Alpha 2 is closer to ST, Alpha 3 is custom combo video fuckery but has a lot more characters

Alternatively is there a way or program to download twitch archives? A quick google search gave me a few options, but also had people saying most of those options install or try to install bullshit alongside it. I just want to watch this one video :(

livestreamer. Download, install.

Windows button => type cmd to open command prompt.

livestreamer -o Floe.mp4 www.twitch.tv/vodurl best

Wait (it is convenient but slow), watch comfortably.

shaowebb

Is she considered bad?

Meh. Bad is relative in my eyes. I got no idea whose good or bad in this game, but generally ease of use determines a good chunk of tier lists. If you dont mind working harder with some characters because you find them fun then its all good. Just look at C. Viper.

Course like I said...I dont know this game yet. For all I know you could be Hsien Ko lol. Play till they aren't fun is my mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom