• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry1594

I think only a Lab Zero made Darkstalkers game would appeal to actual vsav fans, since a lot of them are in Mike Z's circle lol. A lot being relative to the size of the American scene.

Speak of the devil lol

shaowebb

The few Darkstalkers fans are really happy that Ono will never touch Darkstalkers :p
I can see this. Folks get very territorial over their game series and what creators they like or dont like in fighting games.
face said:
Apparently SFxT flopping lead to the the demise of a next-gen Darkstalkers :(
thank god

Thats not cool and you make me sad. That game was awesome and is still great to watch tournaments for. Plus it gave us one of the absolute best stages ever.

Z521u6V.png

jerry1594

why? the capcom of today has zero chance at making a good darkstalkers game. i'll stick to vs and be happy with that. i'd love for the 360 version to make it to this gen or pc
How is xbox one bc? I watched a couple people trying to play gears or halo and it looked like crap. If it keeps up like that only a port would be satisfactory.

notworksafe

How is xbox one bc? I watched a couple people trying to play gears or halo and it looked like crap. If it keeps up like that only a port would be satisfactory.

bc is only okay. was playing fable and asscreed and they played well but it's not good enough for fighting games.

I think only a Lab Zero made Darkstalkers game would appeal to actual vsav fans, since a lot of them are in Mike Z's circle lol. A lot being relative to the size of the American scene.

Speak of the devil lol
I got some ish for bringing that up years ago in the VSav lobby, but maybe things are different after Dyne started playing SG a bit and Rotanibor came into the SG IRC. More SG characters loosely inspired by Darkstalkers might tip the scale even further.

Black Dahlia, Hive, Leduc, Brain Drain, Beatrix, Scythana and Taliesin when?

shaowebb

bc is only okay. was playing fable and asscreed and they played well but it's not good enough for fighting games.

Theres a fucking shocker. Anyone else remember the backwards compatibility patches for the Xbox 360 so we could play our Xbox titles on it? I sure do.

MVC2= disappearing sprites, shitty lag, and weird artifacting
KOF 02/03= listed as compatible via one of the many updates. 02 Had the same issues as MVC2 plus screen tearing. 03 WOULDNT EVEN RUN.

Microsoft is horseshit for BC. Guarantee they will just slowly stop mentioning this and begin selling more and more "classics" on the console same as last time.

notworksafe

eh bc not working well for fighting games isn't surprising. even with the og ps3 a lot of ps2 fighters felt off too. if you like a game enough, you'll get the original hardware for it and play it that way.

jerry1594

I got some ish for bringing that up years ago in the VSav lobby, but maybe things are different after Dyne started playing SG a bit and Rotanibor came into the SG IRC. More SG characters loosely inspired by Darkstalkers might tip the scale even further.

Black Dahlia, Hive, Leduc, Brain Drain, Beatrix, Scythana and Taliesin when?
Wait I think L0 would be a good 2nd choice. I forgot about Arcsys. I thought the programmers that sign at the start of the games' attract sequence joined Arcsys but that seems to be bull. The main composer Takayuki Iwai is a freelancer it seems, but Hideki Okugawa who worked on The Night Warriors is still there (I don't remember how it sounds at all)
Skullgirls- maybe in 5 years

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
mike z did a really cool write up on things he would change about 3s were he to sirlinize it.

http://mikezsez.blogspot.com/2015/12/what-id-change-for-third-strike-upper-3s.html

i dream this happens someday. would pay good money for a 3s update especially if it came packaged with an arcade perfect 3s port.

when i heard about 4rd strike i was super excited about that as well until i learned no one ever played it. 3s is a game that is extremely unique and there is nothing out there really like it with the possible exception of yata so i'd love to see someone try to do something with it.

I would throw so much money at this man but sadly Japan won't get that update. Unless he somehow made it possible to easily update arcade machines in Japan...

You can tell Aris is bored of the Souls games at times but his attitude towards other games because it has too much dialogue or isn't easy pick up and play hinders him from playing them. It's going to get to the point where hey Aris you're funny and all but we're tired of seeing you play Dark Souls for the millionth time so take care. You can see some people in his chat are starting to feel that way.

I want him to play more Resident Evil 4. Hell, I think him doing co-op games like L4D might be awesome to watch.

livestreamer. Download, install.

Windows button => type cmd to open command prompt.

livestreamer -o Floe.mp4 www.twitch.tv/vodurl best

Wait (it is convenient but slow), watch comfortably.

This is an awesome thing to know, will definitely do this if I ever want it lol

There is definitely a portion of us who feel that way. I didn't reply to that post earlier because I didn't want to start something.

The dark hadou shall consume us all.

Does Capcom even have an inhouse team capable of making a fighting game? What happened to the MvC3 team?

Outsourced, group named eighty something. Niitsuma personally said he would not be working on fighting games anymore so that sucks. I think the engine used was possibly the best feeling engine in terms of hitting and combos. It honestly felt like I was hitting someone with a pipe or shooting guns with chris.

Wait I think L0 would be a good 2nd choice. I forgot about Arcsys. I thought the programmers that sign at the start of the games' attract sequence joined Arcsys but that seems to be bull. The main composer Takayuki Iwai is a freelancer it seems, but Hideki Okugawa who worked on The Night Warriors is still there (I don't remember how it sounds at all)
Skullgirls- maybe in 5 years
I'm waiting for ASW to show us that they can actually do good animation.
The dark hadou shall consume us all.
Not today if I can help it.

shaowebb

Outsourced, group named eighty something. Niitsuma personally said he would not be working on fighting games anymore so that sucks. I think the engine used was possibly the best feeling engine in terms of hitting and combos. It honestly felt like I was hitting someone with a pipe or shooting guns with chris.

Eighting. They were behind a LOT more than many realized with fighting games the past two decades. They were among the first to create 3d engines for fighting games on what was at the time "next gen" hardware. They simply had a polished environment ready to dump stuff into and it allowed them a lot of avenues for outsourcing themselves as the go to fighting game 3rd party resource to companies.

Right now if Lab Zero had their shit setup for 3d with their own animators I'd say they'd be the prime choice for solid licensed fighters. Without that since everything they do takes so long for them to animate its likely ASW as your go to company followed by other teams like Examu and Frenchbread trailing a good way behind them in terms of just how big a project they can undertake.

SNK might be about to change that though. They are promising a fighter with a roster in the 50's and its 3d yet looks to run as solid as the 2d games did. They pull this off, that'd mean they have a solid engine and a team proven to be able to undertake larger scale fighting games for next gen. Only issue is they don't look next gen yet so they'll have to get their texturing and lighting more polished to draw contracts over ASW in my opinion.

Just speculative thoughts here. Its just the way I view the fighting game developers right now and how I see things running. As a publisher ASW is the most attractive front runner to outsource to possibly followed by SNK. After that...tossup, but Frenchbread and Examu have a proven track record. Frenchbread seems better received. Fans like Lab Zero, but they are unproven in terms of meeting a licensed deadline game's goals. However, they might have the potential to be the underdog that could grow considering the prices they've reportedly stated they could make a fighter for are ridiculously low. All it'd take would be for someone with a solid license to recognize their street cred and try to cash in off it for publicity. Their biggest selling point...they are popular in both the east AND west.

Eighting. They were behind a LOT more than many realized with fighting games the past two decades. They were among the first to create 3d engines for fighting games on what was at the time "next gen" hardware. They simply had a polished environment ready to dump stuff into and it allowed them a lot of avenues for outsourcing themselves as the go to fighting game 3rd party resource to companies.

Right now if Lab Zero had their shit setup for 3d with their own animators I'd say they'd be the prime choice for solid licensed fighters. Without that since everything they do takes so long for them to animate its likely ASW as your go to company followed by other teams like Examu and Frenchbread trailing a good way behind them in terms of just how big a project they can undertake.

SNK might be about to change that though. They are promising a fighter with a roster in the 50's and its 3d yet looks to run as solid as the 2d games did. They pull this off, that'd mean they have a solid engine and a team proven to be able to undertake larger scale fighting games for next gen. Only issue is they don't look next gen yet so they'll have to get their texturing and lighting more polished to draw contracts over ASW in my opinion.

Just speculative thoughts here. Its just the way I view the fighting game developers right now and how I see things running. As a publisher ASW is the most attractive front runner to outsource to possibly followed by SNK. After that...tossup, but Frenchbread and Examu have a proven track record. Frenchbread seems better received. Fans like Lab Zero, but they are unproven in terms of meeting a licensed deadline game's goals. However, they might have the potential to be the underdog that could grow considering the prices they've reportedly stated they could make a fighter for are ridiculously low. All it'd take would be for someone with a solid license to recognize their street cred and try to cash in off it for publicity. Their biggest selling point...they are popular in both the east AND west.

The most serious ones to do an outsourced 3D, modern Darkstalkers game are probably Eighting (Tatsunoko, MVC3 + many others licensed games) or DIMPS (SF4 + SF5 +more licensed games) than all of the ones you are listing. Arc is basically doing it's own thing that is working for them, and it's the result of a lot of experiments (+ their way of doing things makes a lot of work not re-usable). Both French Bread, LabZero and Examu are way too small/lacks 3D and SNK lacks the talent to do a game of this caliber (just look at KOF14 even outside of graphics).

Eighting and DIMPS are companies with a track record of various fighting games in various licenses. If they wanted to do a new Darkstalkers my money would be on DIMPS with the help of talented animators to provide feedback.

ShinMaruku

You're not at all alone. There are plenty of good fighting games out right now and more on the way, but DMC has had nothing for years besides 4SE.

Not only that but licensees are just so slap dash I'd just have DMC. Also I like DMC much more than marvel

FACE

Banned
The most serious ones to do an outsourced 3D, modern Darkstalkers game are probably Eighting (Tatsunoko, MVC3 + many others licensed games) or DIMPS (SF4 + SF5 +more licensed games) than all of the ones you are listing. Arc is basically doing it's own thing that is working for them, and it's the result of a lot of experiments (+ their way of doing things makes a lot of work not re-usable). Both French Bread, LabZero and Examu are way too small/lacks 3D and SNK lacks the talent to do a game of this caliber (just look at KOF14 even outside of graphics).

Eighting and DIMPS are companies with a track record of various fighting games in various licenses. If they wanted to do a new Darkstalkers my money would be on DIMPS with the help of talented animators to provide feedback.

What do you mean by that? I've heard a bunch of positive things about KOF 14.

jerry1594

should have taken a literal shit on them as a response
Is this a reference or something...?

I thought short short super was a thing in sf5? Somebody mentioned gief being able to do it or am I imagining things?
Dunno what that guy is on. Lights are pretty useless except for hit confirms for some characters. And beating empty jumps sometimes.

What do you mean by that? I've heard a bunch of positive things about KOF 14.

Should have said 3D mastering not graphics (since graphics is both art + 3D). Art direction is a mess, character design is bad, 3D models are poor at expressing anything, animations have less work than KOF13. KOF14 will probably good once you play it but something is seriously wrong on the art side and it's impacting the development.

mbpm1

Is this a reference or something...?

I thought short short super was a thing in sf5? Somebody mentioned gief being able to do it or am I imagining things?
Dunno what that guy is on. Lights are pretty useless except for hit confirms for some characters. And beating empty jumps sometimes.

Gief can do that yeah

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

I wonder what the hell Eighting is up to nowadays, are they working on Japan only games at the moment? We know DIMPS was working on SFV so they are probably helming another project at the moment.
I say that because lets be real, the 6 DLC characters are already done, possibly some tweaking plus they are free if you grind for fight money. With that being said, the next 6-7 DLC characters are probably 70-80% finished cause it takes a lot of time and tweaking to get 3D animations looking as fluid as they are so we can definitely start thinking of DIMPS working on something new.
Capcom has RE7, Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney and SFV, each being ran under different guys, I forget each of their names. Also, for some odd reason, I highly disbelieve that Sony would just help out Capcom for one game, granted its the biggest franchise they have. There has to be something more to it.

Times are really changing. Lab Zero being THE future king of 2D animation is now seen as a detriment to their involvement in a new Darkstalkers. Someone make me a time machine so I can warn everyone.

LggV3_zpshk8jlm8p.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom