• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fraeon

noob1.png

noob2.png

noob3.png

This guy kept challenging me and sent me a message like this every time.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
On 360, I got rage mail on my Gief all the time. People hated the character with a passion. On steam, all I've gotten is being sexually harassed for my voice. I kid you not.

shaowebb

Okay...today's journey of import X-mas fighters ended on a very surprising note with Phantom Breaker Extra.I thought since it had special attacks as all one button like Smash Bros it'd be super bare bones and easy. Plus since it was by 5pb who I have never heard of doing anything else I thought it'd be small and meh.

I have never played a more close quarters combat counter heavy game in my life and I have no clue what to make of it at all. Also it has 18 characters to play as.

It feels super fast and good, but at the same time there is too much happening for me to keep up with so far. Here are some of the crazy fucking things in it.

• Hold S and anything that hits ya clashes opening up counter hit opportunities.This is one of many things that fills a universal tension meter that multiplies damage.
  • Many attacks clash and counter hit. Like A TON. Always gotta be on the lookout for clashed moves to react or get dunked on.
  • A sorta counter thing that side steps you behind opponents on hit.
  • SF3 counters. Like no shit on top of all that if you select one of 3 playstyles one of them lets you press forward to counter.
  • Moves cancel with neutral S universally meaning there are crazy cancel pressure heavy strings amidst all this flying counter/clash/sidestep stuff.
  • Their are guard cancel moves too on block (so help me god is there no way to avoid counterattacks!?)
  • Jump cancels
  • You can heal red health
  • One play style that has double jumps, a run, and a lot more hits per combo possible that ALSO in a special state slows time for the opponent for combos
  • Another playstyle that lends you mother fucking huge amounts of armor. Like tons. On top of all the cancels and counters and clashes and etc etc
  • A third playstyle that lets you flip on the fly between both the other styles plus gives you 2 more bars of meter at the cost of no phantom breakers or whatever (ultras?)

More than a little overwhelmed at how different the mindset has to be to play this.
Heres a tutorial I had to read

Fucking nuts. This game is constant flashing counter attacks, cancels, and OH SHIT turnabout moments of folks breaking through your pressure and attacks.

Here is an accurate depiction of a match in Phantom Breaker Extra
lpGxbQI.gif

or to sum it up from a players perspective...
uPmx78M.gif

I get the feeling with all this counter attack, side step, cancel stuff this game is probably best to zone in rather than start throwing down hard and close. Just trying to stay safe seems pretty hard on offense up close. I know I've seen some bullshit hidden missile spam at least. Anyone here able to weigh in on this game because I am super lost on what to make of all these tools versus each other so far.

Moaradin

Must have been something wrong with the PS4 port too. When everyone got it for free as a PS+ game, I STILL couldn't get matches for that game.

The PS4 version worked for me shortly after I got it on PS+, but it hasn't worked since then. They must have shut down the servers and haven't bothered with it since. Really disappointed with how they treat online on all their games tbh. MKX wasn't much better in that regard.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Yes kouhai, spread our teachings. Only reason I got this good was cause of Vulva and DaFeetLee mentoring me lol

Link to their steam profiles so I can cut them.

tumblr_noy5v5Vk2R1slj24go1_500.gif

Ricki who?

Ricky Ortiz -> Ricki Ortiz

Transgender FGC player. Very well known and a very decorated player with many accolades to show for it. Originally from the East Coast like Justin Wong, but then she moved to the West Coast, just like every prominent FGC player lol

yams with the yandere waifu

MDnek1O.jpg

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Floe's stream is mysterious rn

Straight up, watching Floe is so relaxing. I don't know what it is but I feel like I can just leave the stream as akin to incense in a room.
Don't question my logic, even I can't make sense of it.

I hope yam's waifu is just yam's posting on another account to troll us. The ultimate catfish troll

No one will ever know mwahahaha

ShinMaruku

Well done on that thread Cindi. When people suggest Tekken I will have to come in and say it will take the time of a masters thesis to reach ground level. :E
Wait Ricki is originally from east coast too? >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom