• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackule, get on Xrd and play me.

I made a player match room:
Room Name: Karsticles
Password (quote to reveal):
Search ID: oih3

That crosses past cheesecake and is just straight comedy. I can't imagine most people looking at that and being turned on.

It's certainly no Soft Engine, which is clearly not for comedy
Maybe we're using cheesecake to mean different things. I take it to just mean the same thing as "cheese", like "this movie is cheesey".

Maybe we're using cheesecake to mean different things. I take it to just mean the same thing as "cheese", like "this movie is cheesey".

Yea, I definitely don't use cheesecake when I want to call something cheesy.

Cheesecake is like stuff you wouldn't mind having around a young kid because it isn't so blatant or extreme that it'll catch any attention unless you're in that state of mind, like tight sweaters and yoga pants.

My Xrd room remains empty. :(

you are the mvp man
I plan to obtain a working knowledge of DoA5 over the next few days. I'll probably pick Nyotengu no matter what you tell me, but a few questions:
1) Who has the best pokes?
2) Who has the best mobility?
3) How do some characters have better counters than others?

Yea, I definitely don't use cheesecake when I want to call something cheesy.

Cheesecake is like stuff you wouldn't mind having around a young kid because it isn't so blatant or extreme that it'll catch any attention unless you're in that state of mind, like tight sweaters and yoga pants.
Ah, gotcha.

Tripon

Confession: I never saw the appeal of Ryu's donkey kick, and to this day don't understand it.
It'l looks like one of Ryu more aggressive moves because it moves forward. But fuck if you throw it out willy nilly. You will be punished for sure. Now, if it was like Ken's SFIV step kick which seemed positive whenever I threw it, I would love that.

My bad Milk, I have the room up.

Is there no way to invite people? I want to get Kimo in here (RIP).

Confession: I never saw the appeal of Ryu's donkey kick, and to this day don't understand it.
Someone told me it's all about pushing your opponent full-screen for zoning. Desirable against Gief, I suppose?

Shouta

You have this weird complex over the greater FGC (which as a concept, doesn't even really exist outside of a loose collection of communities for individuals).

I can only speak for myself, but I would take DoA more seriously if the developers themselves did and spent more time improving the game itself and less time pitching blatantly fetishistic outfits. I get why they push so much costume DLC, but they can't solely do stuff like that and then wonder why the game can't be taken seriously. I know that DoA5 and its updates are a significant upgrade mechanically, but you can't overturn a reputation that you have built up over nearly 20 years overnight.

That's also a really goofy comment to make regarding Guilty Gear, which also ignores the last 15 or so years of the community's history in the US. It's like anything that happened with fighting games in the US before SF4 may as well not have ever happened.

But they did spend time improving the game? I mean they're pitching the smut all the time but they've improved the game loads in the latest revision. No one has to look at the smut either for tournaments, lol.

At this point, the smut is thing stopping people from playing DOA. Well, that and the creepier folks

On that note, knock off the NSFW shit Shin or you're gonna get a big ass timeout.

mbpm1

Not like there are many characters that can punish -2 moves, even offline.

It looks fucking rad.

Nope, but people can use it like it's plus and press buttons after it for "frame traps" all the time online

Source: I keep hitting people with things after step kick

FACE

Banned
Nope, but people can use it like it's plus and press buttons after it for "frame traps" all the time online

I see a lot of kens immediately throwing cr mk after I block step kick, counter hits for days.

mbpm1

Been picking up Ryu lately with SF4

I don't know why. He's so boring compared to Ken. But I guess I like playing him the same way I liked playing Sagat.

Squeezing blood from a stone, and then using that blood to zone people

I see a lot of kens immediately throwing cr mk after I block step kick, counter hits for days.

As a Ken player I'm just like

"This shouldn't work. The frame disadvantage means I should be technically attacking with a 6 frame move and people can easily just press light kick to stop me"

But few people actually do that bc online lol

Tripon

-2, so basically positive online

Not like there are many characters that can punish -2 moves, even offline.

It looks fucking rad.

Heh, I see. I just kept on throwing it out there because nobody could punish me online for it. Might be the randoms j was playing though.

UGSBBoyDragon

Neo Member
My Xrd room remains empty. :(

I plan to obtain a working knowledge of DoA5 over the next few days. I'll probably pick Nyotengu no matter what you tell me, but a few questions:
1) Who has the best pokes?
2) Who has the best mobility?
3) How do some characters have better counters than others?

Ah, gotcha.

hhmm Best mobility has to go to Christie, Ayane, and Marie Rose due fact they got built in spacing and/or/both built in side step mechanics to get out of a lot of situtions most char. will have to block and guess the 50/50 mix up etc. Best Pokes go to Kasumi, Mila, Momiji, akira and rig once he gets into bending stance. Now for anyone that follows DOA reason why I dont put christies even she is just as fast as Kasumi is that Christie has not good low punch she has one of slowest low punches before grapple char. like Bass.. Also does not have a go mid poke tool that can crush high. Like Mila can crush high with a good mid punch that like 15 frames that top mila players use in netural to poke and fish out a counter hit........ I'm going to be using H = Hold and number keypad for notations like 6 is forward and 4 is back etc and etc

oh now for counters this is where it gets little complicated. Start off simple on netural stage like long big stage. I'm not going to say dojo cause that tournament banned for a lot of reason. lets say uummm air port stage thats really big. so Netural where in cneter where no danger zone. Char. that have advance counters like Lei Fang Bay Man and Hayabusa excel and have the most damaging one. That is hard read basically cause you have to counter the exact like example you counter high you just hit 7H you counter the high. Now to get that higher damage with bay man you have to counter with a smaller frame window and also exact move example 6 7H for high punch and 4 9h for high kick. same for mid 6 4h for mid punch 4 6 for mid kick and yes same for low 6 1H for low punch and 4 3H for low kick. Also if you get a "hi counter hold" meaning you throw out your counter at last possible time. meaning first 3 to 5 frames active of your counter . You get 150% damage on your counter. So they do a lot...

Now here why Stage matters...... Now with a Ceiling stage Hayabusa, Phase-4, Kasumi, Ayane Christie and couple of other char. Counters will be better than rest of cast. Reason why is because take a Example if Phase-4 get a advance mid kick counter 4 6H you get launch into the Ceiling stage and guaranteed combo is followed because you are in a sit down stun. they can take 30 to 40% of you health if they get "hi counter hold" on stage like that with also depending on how far or close wall is.

Now for floor with electric floor stages Nyo Tengu and couple of other char. have and will do more damage. Example Nyo Tengu low kick counter. will slam you 3 times on floor so electric wall thats about 20% I think on high counter hold if not more. I dont know I havent Played Nyo in awhile but its a lot of damage for a counter

mbpm1

Heh, I see. I just kept on throwing it out there because nobody could punish me online for it. Might be the randoms j was playing though.

It's one of those moves you basically only whiff punish or intercept with other moves if you anticipate, so ya.

Can be frightening to people to have someone just step kick 4 times and be in your face from the other side of the screen. Or step kick twice and catch up to Akuma after a bad air fireball

Tripon

Been picking up Ryu lately with SF4

I don't know why. He's so boring compared to Ken. But I guess I like playing him the same way I liked playing Sagat.

Squeezing blood from a stone, and then using that blood to zone people
Ultra Ryu is a character that was defanged. I mess around with Vanilla, Super, and Omega Ryu and shake my head. Ryu didn't have to suck just to justify Evil Ryu being good.

Still, I play Ryu the most (alongside Ken) in Ultra because he still has a good fireball and has decent spacing tools.

mbpm1

Ultra Ryu is a character that was defanged. I mess around with Vanilla, Super, and Omega Ryu and shake my head. Ryu didn't have to suck just to justify Evil Ryu being good.

Still, I play Ryu the most (alongside Ken) in Ultra because he still has a good fireball and has decent spacing tools.

Were you the guy who posted that "Hadouken Magic" video a while back?

Basically I just try to do that all the time lol

I thought I would get rekt but I guess my zoning game is developed enough to do alright with it.

Even with the overall nerfs, dat zoning and reads can still effective...to a point.

Back to the basics has its own charm too, I can't just "Lol EX Tatsu, Ultra bc I know they won't block" instead I have to play footsies smart

Kumubou

But they did spend time improving the game? I mean they're pitching the smut all the time but they've improved the game loads in the latest revision. No one has to look at the smut either for tournaments, lol.

At this point, the smut is thing stopping people from playing DOA. Well, that and the creepier folks
I'm aware that the actual mechanics in DoA5 are an improvement over the earlier games (especially DoA4, goddamn that game was bad)... but making those improvements is not going to change people's opinion of the game in the short term. It's something that they have to keep doing and keep pushing if they want to make any headway beyond "lol tits". Honestly, my main non-mechanical problems with DoA5 is that the online experience and the PC port are both travashamockeries that have seen zero improvement since their existence.

As for the creepy fanbase, I mainly play (or played) non-ArcSys anime fighters. Those communities can have some... uh, interesting characters. There's no way I could claim that as an issue even if I wanted to.

Tripon

Were you the guy who posted that "Hadouken Magic" video a while back?

Basically I just try to do that all the time lol

I thought I would get rekt but I guess my zoning game is developed enough to do alright with it.

Even with the overall nerfs, dat zoning and reads can still effective...to a point.

Yeah, that was me.

After watching that video for the first time, I ran out a 7 game winning streak just sweeping the leg and zoning with Ryu's fireball. The only reason I stopped because it was time to get dinner. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom