• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Titillation is more fun when the whole package is awesome. Games like DOA are a rare breed in that regard
Pretty much. A good game is fun because the gameplay is good and the themes, visuals are something you enjoy.

I can hate a game and still play it because I like the art style or the themes in it. Skyrim made no sense to me, but slap on a post apocalyptic coat of paint on it and I can spend tens of hours on it even if it is the same bland garbage underneath.

I mean honestly the only reason I ever played EXVS is because of stuff like https://youtu.be/bfAUoCZDpm8

and I kept playing it despite it being super frustrating for months.

why is this hard to understand for you?

It's hard to understand because Shin posts this:

Those people never played the really good players. Also if it's somebody from the FGC I ignore them because they are too clannish and hypocritical at many times.

But this posts random things like this:

It gives off the feeling of not being entirely self aware.

You can't wonder why people don't want to get into your game, and claim that we're biased and clique-ish, when you post random gifs of girls in bikinis.

Something has to give. And wondering why people treat your game like that when YOU YOURSELF place booty on such a high pedestal is completely lacking any common sense.

UGSBBoyDragon

Neo Member
There is only as much T&A as you want there to be actually. Jiggling can be reduced and conservative costumes are available.

That's interesting got a link to the matches?
Also question to the US DoA tournament players. How's the female player ratio? Iirc, somebody mentioned that DoA is higher compared to others.

EDIT:
No need to look up. Here is the link:
DoA5LR NEC16 Top 8 by TeamSp00ky

yeah i can get the link to that team tournament give me 20 min. yes out of all tournaments I been to I travel to a lot of majors. Not as much compare to like big heavy hitters like PL, Sonic fox, Daigo.... But i do go to about 6 majors a year. Dallas, Florida Philly, New York. Yes DOA does have the highest females that enter in tournament. Don't get the wrong idea people its not that much female players. Its still a lot more males than females, but i say like example NEC total of about 100 ppl plus. There was like 8 to 12 female players or so including my gf. Couple of them are high level like once upon a time I say 2013 a Female Player was conisder best Lei Fang which was Miss Maia, but she retired cause of real life issue and health problem. Dont worry she is ok now and making a comback for 2016....
Short story is yes DOA has the most females players playing in tournaments, but its not like its half the players or 30%. Like I will give any game MKX, Injustice, UMVC3 Tekken, it can have 100 plus player turn out and there only be like 2 females actually playing in tournament. DOA 100plus it reaches double digits a lot in female

Pretty much. A good game is fun because the gameplay is good and the themes, visuals are something you enjoy.

I can hate a game and still play it because I like the art style or the themes in it. Skyrim made no sense to me, but slap on a post apocalyptic coat of paint on it and I can spend tens of hours on it even if it is the same bland garbage underneath.

I mean honestly the only reason I ever played EXVS is because of stuff like https://youtu.be/bfAUoCZDpm8

Isn't EXVS Japan only?

Regardless of shin here, the FGC sure as fuck is biased and cliqueish, and it's only getting worse

At the same time, you can't say,"the FGC doesn't take DoA seriously and it's not fair. It's more than T&A" and then post random gifs of girls in skimpy bikinis or accentuating the fact that the reason you like a character is booty or that SFIV doesn't have enough booty for you. You have essentially proved everyone right with that, and now we have even less reason to give DoA a shot or even take you seriously.

Not a good look.

So in many ways, DoA's reputation has been sort of earned. Both by the developer itself and by its fanbase. Facts only.

UGSBBoyDragon

Neo Member
My argument was never about the fundamentals of DoA carrying over to Tekken though. My argument is that you don't use throws to open up defense in Tekken unless it's against a bad player, or you have a character with a Giant Swing style grab that opens up a legitimate mind game in your throw choices. My point still stands.

I'm not saying this to try to get into a fight with you here. I'm just pointing it out, because due to your status as a known player in other fighting games, people might take that sort of advice more serious than they probably should.

oohhh yeah I can see what your saying now. Yeah at very advance level I can on how tekken works how hard it can be to grab to open up defense in tekken.

shaowebb

On the DOA perception thing from a page back all I can say is I love the game. I played back on DOA3 and it was the reason I bought an Xbox...namely Brad Wong was the reason I owned that console. I loved Drunken Boxing and no fighter did it right, I was in Kung Fu and I was fortunate enough to learn one of the many drunken boxing forms back then (which I can't remember shit on after 10 years of not being a martial artist and now only have a VHS of the fucking form.

The game felt great. It was everything fast I had always wanted Tekken to be and it only got better as it went along ...however the pandering got crazy.

Street Fighter never did this level of NSFW stuff is why I feel perception is different. Stuff like that made me embarassed to enjoy DOA5's gameplay.

EDIT: For what its worth the waifu wars shit also makes me embarassed to enjoy most anime fighters. Especially Arcana Heart which is really a remarkable game. My saving grace is I have no shame left. I'm too old to give a damn what others think of me. I know who I am and why I play.

Kalamari

Something about video games providing what the outside world cannot. I read a good article about this recently, I wish I could find it.

They did the player interviews on Kachitagari TV for Momochi and Mago. Momochi was asked if he had confidence going into the ft7. He said he didn't. He thinks it will be hard to 7-0 Mago. Mago praised Momochi due to etching himself into legend with his CC2014 and Evo2015 performances. Mago says that another legend will start on New Year's.

The banter

Dahbomb

Momochi was asked if he had confidence going into the ft7. He said he didn't. He thinks it will be hard to 7-0 Mago.
hzl0tyf3bjbl.gif

Manbig

no one was crying about R. Mika.

Negative. That was pretty much all that people were talking about in regards to SFV right after she was announced, and there were plenty of people that were not okay with the way that she looked. I'm not just talking about here in GAF either.

Personally, I don't mind either way. I only really don't like that they removed the pulling down leg aspect of the super, because that kind of shit makes driver style pro wrestling moves look more impactful. Found it to be a rather odd choice.

oohhh yeah I can see what your saying now. Yeah at very advance level I can on how tekken works how hard it can be to grab to open up defense in tekken.

Thank you for understanding.

Coda

Personally, I don't mind either way. I only really don't like that they removed the pulling down leg aspect of the super, because that kind of shit makes driver style pro wrestling moves look more impactful. Found it to be a rather odd choice.

Yeah I didn't get that either. What's so offensive about that part of the Critical Art?

Mizerman

That's what really kinda pissed me off. The Kinniku Buster esque version was cool and I want that back.

Yeah I didn't get that either. What's so offensive about that part of the Critical Art?

imagine sakura being critical art'd

but it was still silly to remove it, takes away the oomph and impact.

Heck even Necalli's super saijain Critical art is a big pile of MEH compared to his non supped up version

ShinMaruku

Regardless of shin here, the FGC sure as fuck is biased and cliqueish, and it's only getting worse
I don't think it's getting worse, nor is it getting better, it's just the state it's in.

At the same time, you can't say,"the FGC doesn't take DoA seriously and it's not fair. It's more than T&A" and then post random gifs of girls in skimpy bikinis or accentuating the fact that the reason you like a character is booty or that SFIV doesn't have enough booty for you. You have essentially proved everyone right with that, and now we have even less reason to give DoA a shot or even take you seriously.

Not a good look.

So in many ways, DoA's reputation has been sort of earned. Both by the developer itself and by its fanbase. Facts only.
I think you are mistaking what I am saying, I don't think the FGC at large gives anything of a chance outside of SF and Smash because it smashed
hhehehe.jpg
it's way in and with those numbers it is tolerated and needed in some ways. No where did I say whether it's fair or unfair, just saying that telling people a game will get a fair shot for game play is untrue.

Also prior to Lady Kstoute I sad no game had the booty but that's just for comedy.

It is really irrelevant to how something is viewed by the current intelligentsia if any game grows a fanbase upon it's merits and does something similar to smash. I hope Guilty Gear can do it because it has all the people and the tools just a weird developer.

Coda

imagine sakura being critical art'd

but it was still silly to remove it, takes away the oomph and impact.

Heck even Necalli's super saijain Critical art is a big pile of MEH compared to his non supped up version

I mean I guess, but the angle wouldn't even really show anything and they could just cover that area up with grandma panties or something lol.

shaowebb

If you did her critical art to Cammy, then it wouldn't have mattered that they were trying to play with camera's to censor. She would have been spread eagled in a thong camel toe-ing in a freeze frame. In for a penny in for a pound...plus I have no idea how Chun Li in her DLC outfit dress would have fared either. The goods would essentially be on display everytime she did her finish and that goes for males too if we wanna be equal on this.

Sad to lose an extremely impactful wrestling animation because it was totally a two person Kinnikubuster, but if youre gonna address the sexualization of characters to the point you change camera angles to avoid the booty and crotches you cant miss the fact that this super put the goods on display.

WarRock

MEEEEEEEEEN

Shining sporting dem kendo strikes is the best.

Capcom is not know for thinking that far ahead.

Good point. Honestly, the SPD angles in SFV aren't quite so "revealing", if you will. His kinniku driver throw has more revealing angles.

With that said, I'll just go with the "it was a stupid change" answer.

Wonder what would happen if they changed Zangief's SPD. I mean from what is is now.

Is this from that UDON comic thing? The style seems familiar.

Kumubou

It is really irrelevant to how something is viewed by the current intelligentsia if any game grows a fanbase upon it's merits and does something similar to smash. I hope Guilty Gear can do it because it has all the people and the tools just a weird developer.
You have this weird complex over the greater FGC (which as a concept, doesn't even really exist outside of a loose collection of communities for individuals).

I can only speak for myself, but I would take DoA more seriously if the developers themselves did and spent more time improving the game itself and less time pitching blatantly fetishistic outfits. I get why they push so much costume DLC, but they can't solely do stuff like that and then wonder why the game can't be taken seriously. I know that DoA5 and its updates are a significant upgrade mechanically, but you can't overturn a reputation that you have built up over nearly 20 years overnight.

That's also a really goofy comment to make regarding Guilty Gear, which also ignores the last 15 or so years of the community's history in the US. It's like anything that happened with fighting games in the US before SF4 may as well not have ever happened.

UGSBBoyDragon

Neo Member
You have this weird complex over the greater FGC (which as a concept, doesn't even really exist outside of a loose collection of communities for individuals).

I can only speak for myself, but I would take DoA more seriously if the developers themselves did and spent more time improving the game itself and less time pitching blatantly fetishistic outfits. I get why they push so much costume DLC, but they can't solely do stuff like that and then wonder why the game can't be taken seriously. I know that DoA5 and its updates are a significant upgrade mechanically, but you can't overturn a reputation that you have built up over nearly 20 years overnight.

That's also a really goofy comment to make regarding Guilty Gear, which also ignores the last 15 or so years of the community's history in the US. It's like anything that happened with fighting games in the US before SF4 may as well not have ever happened.

hhhmmm I don't know as someone how plays DOA and places really high in game. I stop playing DOA cause of DOA 4 was really bad gameplay wise. Believe it or not everyone who plays DOA at a high level. Me I will put other people names Kwiggles, Bladez, Sonic Fox, Sweet Revenge, and master also more and more and more. DOA5 gameplay mechanics actually got a lot of better a lot of tournament players believe DOA5 gameplay wise is the best it has ever been since DOA2U. Also the DLC has been getting a lot less skimpy like you only see bathing suit costumes once or twice a year in DLC. Most bought DLC is Halloween packs. Team Ninja Balance checks and nerfs and buffs are actually taken from us tournament players at the dinner after DOA tournament is done. Mind you most of the time the dinner is on team ninja credit card. As far as gameplay like how the game works. Believe it or not every tournament player believe this is easly one of their best if not the best DOA game that has been made for competitive players. So trust me when i say this Team Ninja takes the gameplay more serious than people think.

I always feel like DOA wasn't really that bad until 5. It's always been cheesecake, but everything has cheesecake. I guess if swimsuits are your beef, then with Ultimate is the starting point. But I could have still defended the game. With 5 though, it's clear that pushing the sexy angle has become a priority.

ShinMaruku

FGC really is a misnomer, but generally I'm talking about the group that runs most of the tourneys more than any game community because outside of like maybe 3 games there really is not much in the way of communities. The funny thing about the whole dlc thing is they actually have spent time updating the gameplay, but very few would try the game and pin it on it's presentation. Every new iteration has different things smoothing over the game play, it has frame data put right into the game, the characters all play different, even within the clones. But when one is not in the mind of looking at a game it's easier to write x or y off.

the tekken hate is like fgw illuminati status
I actually just peeked in the TTT2 thread. Rather amusing read over the last few pages.

I always feel like DOA wasn't really that bad until 5. It's always been cheesecake, but everything has cheesecake. I guess if swimsuits are your beef, then with Ultimate is the starting point. But I could have still defended the game. With 5 though, it's clear that pushing the sexy angle has become a priority.
Will you maintain your point after watching some DoA1?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNtstDeA3P0&t=01m22s

Also, DOA had CGS, which was way more esports than what any fighting game had before this year's Capcom Pro Tour. Can't complain about not being taken seriously when they're already more esports than the FGC, right?
kappaRyu.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom