• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I decided to preorder through PSN. I guess this means I get the Chun costume. If anybody is getting it from Gamestop and wants to trade codes(I assume we're getting codes for these costumes, correct?) with me then let me know. Ryu is my main and I want him looking as hot as possible when I play him.

SFV is gonna get destroyed in the reviews.

N1BUM3s.png

.la1n

SFV is gonna get destroyed in the reviews.

If its related to the content for price then I agree. Don't know why they didn't launch at a lower price point since it's a games as a service model now.

It also looks pretty unpolished even by Capcom standards.

『Inaba Resident』;195286820 said:
High 60s - Low 70s, I'm predicting.
No way lol. This is Street Fighter. Half of gaming reviews is name recognition. Expect 8s

Do you think a site like IGN that just had a week long program devoted to SFV with Combo & DynoMike are going to give this game a bad score?

DunpealD

So I decided to preorder through PSN. I guess this means I get the Chun costume. If anybody is getting it from Gamestop and wants to trade codes(I assume we're getting codes for these costumes, correct?) with me then let me know. Ryu is my main and I want him looking as hot as possible when I play him.

No codes on PSN preorder. It is just unlocked and seems to be account locked. Which means everything you buy stays on that account even if you do the main console setting.
Funny thing is, the content seems to be actually region agnostic. Which means you can buy US seasons pass and use it with EU retail version as long as you use the account you bought it for.

Anne

I'm going to guess by virtue of SFV being what it is, it'll get like 8s and 9s still.

I agree its performance is p poor though but I doubt most reviewers will know what all is going on anyways.

Dahbomb

No way lol. This is Street Fighter. Half of gaming reviews is name recognition. Expect 8s

Do you think a site like IGN that just had a week long program devoted to SFV with Combo & DynoMike are going to give this game a bad score?
Sadly I 100% agree with this. The money hats are too obvious.

BiggNife

Fuck I just got styled on by a Karin player twice

It felt like once I got knocked down once that was the end of the match because I always made the wrong guesses on wakeup

Numb

No lies
Name too big.
Maybe they are wrong instead of the game being mediocre/lack of content/is a fighter and hard to review unless specialized/etc etc thought process

BiggNife

I mean, Splatoon was starved for content at launch too and it got solid 8s all around

I think the promise of lots of free content very soon will make the reviews much less harsh than they could be

No codes on PSN preorder. It is just unlocked and seems to be account locked. Which means everything you buy stays on that account even if you do the main console setting.
Funny thing is, the content seems to be actually region agnostic. Which means you can buy US seasons pass and use it with EU retail version as long as you use the account you bought it for.

Well damn that sucks. Does this mean we can't buy those additional costumes until March because the SF/Capcom Shop thingy won't be open till then? Or can it still be bought through PSN/Steam before then?

DunplealD, hopefully our SFV matches will be more playble than our USF4 matches. I look forward to the playing the mirror match with you as long as we don't get bogged down by lag.

If I get the game on Tuesday I'm considering just playing Ryu since he has general tools and I felt comfortable with him in the beta.

Maybe Zangief because he looks pretty cool in this game even though I don't play grapplers.

DunpealD

Well damn that sucks. Does this mean we can't buy those additional costumes until March because the SF/Capcom Shop thingy won't be open till then? Or can it still be bought through PSN/Steam before then?

DunplealD, hopefully our SFV matches will be more playble than our USF4 matches. I look forward to the playing the mirror match with you as long as we don't get bogged down by lag.

If they are on PSN they can still be bought. Otherwise I wouldn't have the chun li preorder costume to use either right now.

Hopefully, though I suck at mirror matches to be honest. But we both know the truth. It will be Dictator mirror and teleporting everywhere.

GorillaJu

What I don't like is the background characters trying to steal the attention of the fight. It's just silliness for the sake of being silly. In past games, the characters looked nowhere near as good as the fighters, but they were just standing in the back watching the fight. I also don't like the filter applied to the sky of each stage.

Ignoring the character models and a few parts of the stage, the sky looks much better without that filter. It's just makes the stages not as pretty. I don't think they're necessary. I don't think it makes the visibility of the fighters better, as the lighting on the characters is what makes that better.

I agree that there are too many silly people in the backdrops, but in your example the current version with the green filter is superior. Even in that screenshot without characters in motion I can already see the dark backdrop with neon signs is making it more difficult to discern Chun's shape in the foreground. What SF5's stages have going for them is a really exceptional foreground/background relationship that allows the characters to be completely distinguished from the backdrop.

Agree with Kadey overall, SF5 is a good looking game but the stages could be better. Comparing animations with 4 is silly, it's miles better.

I agree that there are too many silly people in the backdrops, but in your example the current version with the green filter is superior. Even in that screenshot without characters in motion I can already see the dark backdrop with neon signs is making it more difficult to discern Chun's shape in the foreground. What SF5's stages have going for them is a really exceptional foreground/background relationship that allows the characters to be completely distinguished from the backdrop.

Agree with Kadey overall, SF5 is a good looking game but the stages could be better. Comparing animations with 4 is silly, it's miles better.

I think the comparison with visibility isn't fair as they added lighting above both characters in the stage with the filter. I think if there was lighting above them in the old version like the new version, the difference wouldn't be that big of a deal.

GorillaJu

Yeah, Capcom fucked up. If it isn't working, I'll be glad to see 2/10's for them.

You do realize it's not Febuary 16 yet right? Are you seriously calling it a "fuck up" that servers are being janky 30 hours before it comes out? They're probably doing last minute tweaks and maintenance. Unless this is sarcasm. Can't tell sometimes.

People literally whining about online support when the game hasn't even been released yet.

#CorporateApologist

I think the comparison with visibility isn't fair as they added lighting above both characters in the stage with the filter. I think if there was lighting above them in the old version like the new version, the difference wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Possibly you're right. I think the older one is definitely prettier but I see the benefit of the newer one for visual cohesiveness and I tend to think that they made that call not because they wanted to make the stage uglier but because it looked better with the lighting engine more fleshed out.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
You do realize it's not Febuary 16 yet right? Are you seriously calling it a "fuck up" that servers are being janky 30 hours before it comes out? They're probably doing last minute tweaks and maintenance. Unless this is sarcasm. Can't tell sometimes.

People literally whining about online support when the game hasn't even been released yet.

#CorporateApologist

You support big corporations, I have no time to speak with you heathen!

Dahbomb

I found a review for SFV but I am not sure if the site is legit on GAF. They hlgave it 9/10 only docking points for lack of content (which the writer went of their way to say will be coming soon) and simpler combat/fewer combo options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom