• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadWolf

"Zero sense" is hyperbolic. Who's "fallen off the map" outside Smug?

Some players that aren't doing as well as in USF4 or not doing much at all in SFV:

Sako
Dieminion
Poongko
Xiao Hai
Pepeday
Xian
Uryo
Misse
Nemo
Momochi
Daigo

Take Momochi for example, he would have been winning all over the place if it was USFIV but his transition to SFV has been pretty bumpy.

Dahbomb

Like half of those players are at least training/playing SFV regularly. Like Momochi is definitely getting back into the groove so is Daigo. It's really about getting that travel and exposure in.

And even Smug said he's returning to tournament scene soon. He has for sure been grinding online.

Game is still new and some players take longer to get into their groove than others.

If SF4 was still relevant then those players would've been spread thinner and their growth in SFV would've been delayed further.

Some players that aren't doing as well as in USF4 or not doing much at all in SFV:

Sako
Dieminion
Poongko
Xiao Hai
Pepeday
Xian
Uryo
Misse
Nemo
Momochi
Daigo

Take Momochi for example, he would have been winning all over the place if it was USFIV but his transition to SFV has been pretty bumpy.

Most of these players have barely started attending tournaments yet. Are Sako, Uryo, or Misse even playing? I thought Xian was doing relatively well.

Yeah, it wouldn't be perfect, but if I'm a business, I'd rather give my brands the best chance at having the most financial success than worry about the integrity the results of some promotional tournament that only a minority of players will contribute to.

There's always next year.

Tripon

Like half of those players are at least training/playing SFV regularly. Like Momochi is definitely getting back into the groove so is Daigo. It's really about getting that travel and exposure in.

And even Smug said he's returning to tournament scene soon. He has for sure been grinding online.

Game is still new and some players take longer to get into their groove than others.

If SF4 was still relevant then those players would've been spread thinner and their growth in SFV would've been delayed further.
But is Smug diamond though

BadWolf

Most of these players have barely started attending tournaments yet.

And those that do don't win much, yet you think it would have been okay for them to transfer their USFIV points into SFV.

And this "minority of players" were a big part of why SF4 was such a success, I see no problem with catering to them. The casuals can jump on later when they think there is enough content. The game will be around for years.

Dahbomb

Well if you are a business then you have to worry about pleasing investors and if they threaten to start pulling out if you haven't released a major game in a year... then the pressure starts to mount.

Like what did Capcom even have to show for this fiscal report? Yet another MH game and a "soft launch" for SFV. If they didn't have SFV it would just be one notable game. That's a pretty lousy output from a company that has so many IPs and various divisions. Capcom isn't that big but it's not that small either.

Skilletor

And when they do they don't win much, yet you think it would have been okay for them to transfer their USFIV points into SFV.

Well...I mean, it's been 3 months. Give people an opportunity to do something. lol

Oh, missed part of the conversation. Yeah, new game, new ranking.

My bad. :p

And those that do don't win much, yet you think it would have been okay for them to transfer their USFIV points into SFV.

And this "minority of players" were a big part of why SF4 was such a success, I see no problem with catering to them. The casuals can jump on later when they think there is enough content. The game will be around for years.

Those quotation marks aren't necessary. Capcom making a decision that would neuter the CPT in an effort to maximize market penetration isn't throwing those players under the bus and it benefits everyone in the long run. Not meeting sales expectations, doesn't. THAT neuters the FGC and CPT. The casuals may or may not come depending on how Capcom handles DLC, but their revenue from selling a new copy is severely compromised at this point.

jediyoshi

Smash 4 CEO numbers, good lord

Guess I'm more surprised at the amount relative to Melee entrants since that's what people actually end up watching

Man smash about to dethrone the king (sfv) at CEO when it comes to tournament entrants. The age of smash is upon us my friends!!!

But lol mkx numbers.... 75 entrants... That game has terrible player retention

Nuu

Banned
Is Mortal Kombat X even good? I understand that Mortal Kombat 9 was, but maybe that was a fluke? I'd try it myself, but I only have a gaming PC and that version is craply ported from what I've heard.

Is Mortal Kombat X even good? I understand that Mortal Kombat 9 was, but maybe that was a fluke? I'd try it myself, but I only have a gaming PC and that version is craply ported from what I've heard.
I don't like the engine of MK games movements and action feels too stiff. Not fluid like games like SF or GG etc. But maybe you will like it who knows. You can get the PC version if you only wanna play story mode or arcade mode. MK has a decent amount of sp content. I would avoid if you wanna play online for the PC version.

Nuu

Banned
I don't like the engine of MK games movements and action feels too stiff. Not fluid like games like SF or GG etc. But maybe you will like it who knows. You can get the PC version if you only wanna play story mode or arcade mode. MK has a decent amount of sp content. I would avoid if you wanna play online for the PC version.

What's wrong with the online?

wKqhwNk.gif

Sayad

Momochi struggled at first because he played Ken, then tried to switch to Chun then switched back to Ken, that being said, Momo beat both Justin Wong and Infiltration since going back to Ken, if you're gonna say he's struggling, might as well say everyone who isn't Infil or Tokido is struggling too.

And not everyone is as good at picking up new game fast, this is something Justin and Tokido known to be really good at so it's no surprise they're doing really good at the game.

There's also the fact that doing well in one game doesn't necessarily translate well to another, lot's of SF3 and MvC2 top players did nowhere near as good in SFIV/MvC3. That's is such a bullshit argument, tbh though(edit: referring to point transferring).

Sayad

Capcom should have delayed SFV until June and gave people an offline vs mode as a pre-order bonus so CPT can start normally, like what ASW did with Revelator demo.

592 concurrent peak...yikes!!!! That's bad. Also if you don't believe me go ask in the MKX steam forums. They will tell you what's up. I don't play this game so I don't know much about it.

I don't blame them. WB abandoned the PC release, and sent it out to die.

Anyway yeah, if you're interested in MKX, don't play it for PC. Consoles or bust for that game.

Nuu

Banned
592 concurrent peak...yikes!!!! That's bad. Also if you don't believe me go ask in the MKX steam forums. They will tell you what's up. I don't play this game so I don't know much about it.

592 is actually great by fighting game standards. The only PC fighting games that are more active than it are Street Fighter V and Ultra Street Fighter IV.

592 is actually great by fighting game standards. The only PC fighting games that are more active than it are Street Fighter V and Ultra Street Fighter IV.
I guess very few of that play online. Judging from what people are saying in steam forums. The games dead online for PC version that is. Again if you like offline arcade mode go for it. MKx while I don't like you may like it. Who knows.

Man smash about to dethrone the king (sfv) at CEO when it comes to tournament entrants. The age of smash is upon us my friends!!!

You're looking at it all wrong. Sfv dethroned smash 4. Smash 4 had the most entrants last year, and hit their cap before melee and sf4. SFV is beating it (has been around 20 more entrants for weeks). CEO is smash country.

Just to add to what KidA said, not only did Smash 4 hit their cap, it was the only one that hit the cap last year. Melee was actually 2nd and USF4 needed emergency registration to even to pass 400 and it didn't go that much over it.

Smash 4 continues to be a beast at CEO but I think this will be the 2nd 1000 man SFV tourney I'd the year(I think their will be a huge rush in the final month). So I think either Smash finishes 2nd or they tie because they both hit the 1024 cap.

Clawww

How SFV has no twitch shit on it to see top 5 streamers and for specialized capcom channels to bet fm on it IS BEYOND ME.

FM matches would bring hype to random/high profile online encounters too. lets say someone is playing 100k FM money match--even if it's two randoms, I'd tune into that set.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

higher attendance than xrd at CB. game is doing fine...

CO_Andy

You aren't forgiven Capcom. Apologies mean nothing. Make SFV into something more than what we expect.
It boggles the mind to think Capcom required outside funding to even start development on one of its best-selling franchises.

I'm not holding out hope on MvC4 unless Disney's willing to co-fund development (big lol cause they're greedy fucks). A more likelier scenario still is Nintendo vs Capcom when you consider Ono's hints and Nintendo paying for exclusives (or outsourcing its own franchises).

shaowebb

Its very good. I don't get to play and as such have little to add on TYM since I'm stuck on PC on a radeon where it never functioned properly, but I still lurk a lot. The pressure in the game is really exciting to watch and the footsies are damned tight. Most interesting thing I saw was the recent tide of folks swarming to Kano after they made his shit safe. Holy crap could he ever pressure folks and get them respecting balls. It sorta reminded me of F23 superman having such good range and frames on F23 that at the start of rounds you'd be on the defensive. It aint that kinda situation, but the sheer distance on that safe knife swipe was sick.

Just check the Pig of the Hut breakdown of how many positive frames were on Cutthroat Kano

Personally I miss D'vorah. Them bugs net you pressure for days. Really wish my shit hadn't been fucked up on PC. I never got to play past Jason Vorhees and I was REALLY wanting to play some Tremor, Triborg, and Bo Rai Cho.

The numbers aren't what they were but MKX is still respectable IMO. It had like 160 at Combo Breaker from what I remember.

Its very good. I don't get to play and as such have little to add on TYM since I'm stuck on PC on a radeon where it never functioned properly, but I still lurk a lot. The pressure in the game is really exciting to watch and the footsies are damned tight. Most interesting thing I saw was the recent tide of folks swarming to Kano after they made his shit safe. Holy crap could he ever pressure folks and get them respecting balls. It sorta reminded me of F23 superman having such good range and frames on F23 that at the start of rounds you'd be on the defensive. It aint that kinda situation, but the sheer distance on that safe knife swipe was sick.

Just check the Pig of the Hut breakdown of how many positive frames were on Cutthroat Kano

Personally I miss D'vorah. Them bugs net you pressure for days. Really wish my shit hadn't been fucked up on PC. I never got to play past Jason Vorhees and I was REALLY wanting to play some Tremor, Triborg, and Bo Rai Cho.

The numbers aren't what they were but MKX is still respectable IMO. It had like 160 at Combo Breaker from what I remember.
Frequently patching killed the game imo. Look at sfv at first everyone was calling for bison nerf and now he's a nobody. NRS knee jerk reaction instead of letting the game evolve killed the game imo.

Tekken 7 has already been confirmed for Friday at EVO2016, just like last year.

Wasn't it moved to Saturday last year?

Those quotation marks aren't necessary. Capcom making a decision that would neuter the CPT in an effort to maximize market penetration isn't throwing those players under the bus and it benefits everyone in the long run. Not meeting sales expectations, doesn't. THAT neuters the FGC and CPT. The casuals may or may not come depending on how Capcom handles DLC, but their revenue from selling a new copy is severely compromised at this point.

Bingo.

Momochi is cool and all but he isn't that important. I think people have a hard time realizing that...Capcom didn't have to have CPT work the same way as last year. That's not a requirement.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
a reminder of CB numbers.

SFV-640
T7-238
Bhalla-186
Smash Wii-U-185
MKX-179
Xrd-159
SG-148
KI:S3-146
Melee-118
USFIV-78
UMvC3-73
VS-45
BBCP-38
UNIEL-36
KOF2k-36
Tekken Ball-31
KOFXIII-29
P4AU-28
DOA5-18

trying to determine "what killed MKX" when it's neck and neck with smash4, get real...

Nuu

Banned

SFV-640
T7-238
Bhalla-186
Smash Wii-U-185
MKX-179
Xrd-159
SG-148
Melee-118
USFIV-78
UMvC3-73
VS-45
BBCP-38
UNIEL-36
KOF2k-36
Tekken Ball-31
KOFXIII-29
P4AU-28
DOA5-18

trying to determine "what killed MKX" when it's neck and neck with smash4, get real...

To be fair, I'm not sure how mcuh of a gauge combo breaker is for general popularity.
I too wish that Skullgirls was significantly more popular than Marvel 3 and was a staple fighting game, and that Vampire Savior still had an active community. Alas those numbers don't reflect reality.

shaowebb

SFV-640
T7-238
Bhalla-186
Smash Wii-U-185
MKX-179
Xrd-159
SG-148
Melee-118
USFIV-78
UMvC3-73
VS-45
BBCP-38
UNIEL-36
KOF2k-36
Tekken Ball-31
KOFXIII-29
P4AU-28
DOA5-18

This. NRS does patch but in the end it never really killed them. Hell it made Injustice a LOT better of a game than it was and I feel its doing the same for MKX. Not like people aren't expecting meta shifts with a game advertising years worth of continuing content and season pass characters.

Anymore I think fighters are gonna go this route and try to expand titles as they go for a steady return instead of looking for bulk returns off an initial launch window. Seems to be working for KI at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom