• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Daigo will never win EVO ever again. He has already transcended to a point where if he goes 0 - 2 in every tournament he enters from now on people will still love him. He is the Michael Jordan of the FGC. Minus the trash talking and tongue thing.

SonicFox pretty much dominates, or is at least amongst the best, in pretty much every game he plays.

Injustice
Mortal Kombat
Skullgirls
UNIEL

I know I'm missing other games here.

Players like SonicFox that can just touch any game any become amazing at it are truly special to watch. There are only a few players that I can think of that are like that. There's SonicFox, Justin Wong, ChrisG, Ryan Hart, Tokido, and maybe Pr Rog. Am I missing anybody?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Daigo will never win EVO ever again. He has already transcended to a point where if he goes 0 - 2 in every tournament he enters from now on people will still love him. He is the Michael Jordan of the FGC. Minus the trash talking and tongue thing.

maxresdefault.jpg

Grand wizard Daigo can do no wrong.

i admire players like sonicfox and Ryan Hart for being able to perform exceptionally in a variety of games
i used to want to be like that, but i don't have the time to be as good as i want to be in multiple games honestly. id probably play namco if I dropped vf, truly wish SC scene were stronger

Tokido Kreygasm

mbpm1

He doesn't have as many emojis for Count to post tho

Swarna

Only thing that can be said about that is it's good for reinforcing, but this just goes to illustrate the mindset needed for Fighting games that will forever render it niche. :E

None of this is unique to fighting games and the average fighting game player today has several of those non-desirable traits, top players included. Hardly the reason for it being niche.

Players like SonicFox that can just touch any game any become amazing at it are truly special to watch. There are only a few players that I can think of that are like that. There's SonicFox, Justin Wong, ChrisG, Ryan Hart, Tokido, and maybe Pr Rog. Am I missing anybody?
A lot of players can do it, they just choose not to these days. What do you mean by amazing btw? Bopping American talent or being one of the best the game has to offer?

Go1
Fuudo
Nemo
Daigo
Nuki
Many more

Again, it depends on what level they had to prove themselves. Tokido got top 8 at evo for blazblue and tekken, but that was just an all American tournament without the game's best players (korea, japan). Do we rate his performance in those games on the same level as Nuki and Fuudo, who both did the transition from 2d to 3d on a higher level than Tokido? The same goes for all of those players that go from 2d to 3d, SF to anime, etc...

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Even if Chris wins Marvel it means nothing when a lot of the players don't even care or play the game anymore. You have Justin losing to Noel Brown for god's sake.

A lot of players can do it, they just choose not to these days. What do you mean by amazing btw? Bopping American talent or being one of the best the game has to offer?

Amazing means being one of the best the game has to offer. So getting top 8 or winning the tournament. Like Chris G in the 2013 Fall Classic. He won SF4 and Marvel and got 2nd place in KoF. Both SF4 and Marvel were stacked that year.

ShinMaruku

None of this is unique to fighting games and the average fighting game player today has several of those non-desirable traits, top players included. Hardly the reason for it being niche.

It's less these traits but more that to really take off and become mainstream they would have to somehow teach a mindset that cannot be taught. That all with other circumstances will forever relegate fighting games to niche staus.

Amazing means being one of the best the game has to offer. So getting top 8 or winning the tournament. Like Chris G in the 2013 Fall Classic. He won SF4 and Marvel and got 2nd place in KoF. Both SF4 and Marvel were stacked that year.
Well then I don't think Tokido proved that in both Tekken or Blazblue. The best competition was in Korea and Japan, not Evo. That is why Tokido didn't qualify for Gods Garden that was shortly after Evo, or did damage at SBO for Tekken.

On the other hand, Tokido proved himself in KOF, and Marvel which is super impressive. Maybe I'm being harsh, but then would I consider Eita and Kazunoko's marvel finishes in Australia as impressive knowing that apart from a few players like F Champ, almost every American didn't travel to Shadowloo Showdown?

Tokido would easily be the GOAT overall fighting game player if some of his 2nd place finishes were first places.

I'd like to say that Tokido's proficiency in Tekken is greatly exaggerated. EVO for Tekken 6:BR should have an asterisk on it. He's never been good at Tekken, he just got really really lucky.

Tokido has been proficient in numerous fighting games across his professional career. He probably has less #1 EVO finishes than Justin Wong but I would still put Tokido above him as overall GOAT.
As a Daigo dickrider, he can hold that Daigo 2003 SBO. Top 3 in 3 different games at a single SBO. Nobody, including Tokido did that.

Hold that shit

.la1n

Tokido's ability to master multiple games and perform consistently across them makes him my favorite. Nobody else immediately comes to mind that can simultaneously perform at that level at that many games.

Dahbomb

As a Daigo dickrider, he can hold that Daigo 2003 SBO. Top 3 in 3 different games at a single SBO. Nobody, including Tokido did that.

Hold that shit
I am not holding anything until Daigo does something outside the 2D fighting genre.

In 2007 Tokido had 4 top 8 finishes in 4 different games. VF5, ST, 3S and CvS2. And there have been multiple times where he has gotten top 8 at EVO in 3 games. No one has done that at EVO.

KoF, SF3, SF4, ST, CvS, BB, Tekken, SFxT... that's a lot of top 8 placements in quite a few different games. Plus Tokido is one of the very few international players to actually win a major tournament in Marvel on US soil.

Sayad

I'd like to say that Tokido's proficiency in Tekken is greatly exaggerated. EVO for Tekken 6:BR should have an asterisk on it. He's never been good at Tekken, he just got really really lucky.
Was wondering about his T7:FR win against Nobi in that exhibition, was Nobi sandbagging or was Akuma that much broken at the time?!

I am not holding anything until Daigo does something outside the 2D fighting genre.

In 2007 Tokido had 4 top 8 finishes in 4 different games. VF5, ST, 3S and CvS2. And there have been multiple times where he has gotten top 8 at EVO in 3 games. No one has done that at EVO.

KoF, SF3, SF4, ST, CvS, BB, Tekken, SFxT... that's a lot of top 8 placements in quite a few different games. Plus Tokido is one of the very few international players to actually win a major tournament in Marvel on US soil.

Tokido needs to get on Fuudo's level. Not just 2d and 3d, but the gundam genre with gun slinger stratos. Evo can hold that too. Up until recently, SBO > evo for everything, but marvel. Daigo shitted out evo top 2s for breakfast.

Nuki just tweeted out that he is teaming with Daigo in the 2v2 at stunfest.

Isn't it great that they are still releasing concept art for a game that came out like SFV, it would be funny if it wasn't sad ;~;

I always see concept art after a game is released, like this stuff from Dragon's Dogma.

Usually art books with concept art are after the game is released anyways. I really don't see why it would be sad if SF5 is just releasing stuff on their site, especially since they continue to support the game with more stuff down the line, like many other games.

So it was already drawn before? They're just releasing slowly?

Most likely, a lot of concept is made before the game is released since that's what pre-production mostly is about iirc and a lot of it is unused and doesn't see the light of day. Though since SF5 is still being worked on, I wouldn't be surprised if they are still drawing stuff, it's not uncommon in that case, since a lot of games with continued service are constantly drawing up new things. But I really don't see why it would matter if it was or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom