• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuu

Banned
Plus Tokido is one of the very few international players to actually win a major tournament in Marvel on US soil.

I hear that Marvel is the only game where the U.S. dominates. Is that true? If so is that due to Marvel vs Capcom only being popular in the US, or some crazy phenomenon?

Sayad

So it was already drawn before? They're just releasing slowly?
Or that fixing the game isn't concept artists job, so they get to keep making concept art regardless of what need to be fixed in the game!

I hear that Marvel is the only game where the U.S. dominates. Is that true? If so is that due to Marvel vs Capcom only being popular in the US, or some crazy phenomenon?
They dominate more in NRS games and KI. Both are nowhere near as popular outside the US.

mbpm1

Or that fixing the game isn't concept artists job, so they get to keep making concept art regardless of what need to be fixed in the game!

They're wasting their time. They need to divert valuable brainpower into server issues.

/s

shaowebb

They dominate more in NRS games and KI. Both are nowhere near as popular outside the US.

We grew up with gritty musclebound action heroes and western comics and they grew up with far fewer of those since anime was translated for decades in other countries before it caught on over here.

I just sorta chalk up the western interest and focus on KI, NRS, and Mahvel to the fact that in arcades and in general these were the games that connected most with what the folks in the west grew up with and were always into. Plus look at the divide between western and eastern cultural ideals. Western folks feel the strong muscular sports hero type guy is the male ideal and in the east skinny tall smart athletes that are pale are considered the ideal men. In other words their culture idealizes em built like dancers and we idealize em built like Marvel comic heroes.

Its all about the market. NRS, KI, and Marvel naturally appeal more to a western market even at a glance. Kind of easy to hone players in a game if your country is one that has a large amount of people that play it due to its natural appeal to that country's ideals. Kind of why I'll never be able to find an Arcana Heart player in WV.
does anyone here know the frame data for rolls in KOF13?

I believe rolls are a full 60 frames aren't they? This was so they'd take a full second and be punishable at high level requiring them to only be used successfully after making a correct read. Its why folks use hops and dont roll unless its extremely low level casuals trying to move around for the first time in KOF.

CO_Andy

Released about two months ago.

CfG2f5QUYAUXSTw.jpg
That's a lot better than Final Fight Streetwise redesign.

Sayad

We grew up with gritty musclebound action heroes and western comics and they grew up with far fewer of those since anime was translated for decades in other countries before it caught on over here.

I just sorta chalk up the western interest and focus on KI, NRS, and Mahvel to the fact that in arcades and in general these were the games that connected most with what the folks in the west grew up with and were always into. Plus look at the divide between western and eastern cultural ideals. Western folks feel the strong muscular sports hero type guy is the male ideal and in the east skinny tall smart athletes that are pale are considered the ideal men. In other words their culture idealizes em built like dancers and we idealize em built like Marvel comic heroes.

Its all about the market. NRS, KI, and Marvel naturally appeal more to a western market even at a glance. Kind of easy to hone players in a game if your country is one that has a large amount of people that play it due to its natural appeal to that country's ideals. Kind of why I'll never be able to find an Arcana Heart player in WV.
MvC3 is an interesting case, Japan shunned MvC series as shit pretty fast where the US gave it a chance, connecting to the characters better probably helped. With MvC3 though Japan ended up having a decently sized scene, probably the biggest for a none arcade game( after SFV), feel like it could have been much bigger there if it got an arcade release, of course that would have been a licensing nightmare with publishers getting a cut from arcade machines revenue now.

Nightii

Banned
So, the latest Smash patch...has anything like it happened before to other games? I mean, even NRS changed more than just the "OP character" of the month with their patches, right?

So, the latest Smash patch...has anything like it happened before to other games? I mean, even NRS changed more than just the "OP character" of the month with their patches, right?

I can't remember the last time a patch for a fighting game had extensive nerfs for a single character, and nothing more.

Dahbomb

Well US dominates the game but that has been less so lately. We got players from Central/South America and Japan who are about as good as top players in US now. People kinda predicted it last year for the game but the actual results surpassed even those predictions. He even Canada is smelling blood now, defending their turf on more than one occasion.

US dominates in games that are made in West like KI and NRS. But that's usually because countries like Japan/Korea don't care much about it just like Marvel. Things would be a lot different if they cared enough to grind those games and had strong scenes.

US also does well in DOTA (current reigning TI champion, rest of the world can hold dat son) and Hearthstone (Firebat was the previous world champion, US usually does decent), these games the rest of the world actually plays.

Everything else US is like 2nd tier.

Spuck-uk

Banned

Marvel is only popular/has only ever been popular in the US. The scene for it even in the EU was tiny.

Wouldnt even say US dominates in MKX, Sonicfox does.

Sayad

Marvel is only popular/has only ever been popular in the US. The scene for it even in the EU was tiny.

Wouldnt even say US dominates in MKX, Sonicfox does.
Guess we forget about this, I think EVO top 8 had two none US players, one of them got second place.

Beats

Bayonetta nerfs feel like an overreaction. It's only been a few months and as far as I know she hasn't won a major. `-`

Nuu

Banned
Well US dominates the game but that has been less so lately. We got players from Central/South America and Japan who are about as good as top players in US now. People kinda predicted it last year for the game but the actual results surpassed even those predictions. He even Canada is smelling blood now, defending their turf on more than one occasion.

US dominates in games that are made in West like KI and NRS. But that's usually because countries like Japan/Korea don't care much about it just like Marvel. Things would be a lot different if they cared enough to grind those games and had strong scenes.

US also does well in DOTA (current reigning TI champion, rest of the world can hold dat son) and Hearthstone (Firebat was the previous world champion, US usually does decent), these games the rest of the world actually plays.

Everything else US is like 2nd tier.

Are there any fighting games besides Marvel that the rest of the world plays and America can hold its own? What about Street Fighter V and Guilty Gear? If not, is it just the East that dominates those game?

BadWolf

Euro release for KOF14 confirmed - Deep Silver will publish & release is Aug 26.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/05/19/king-fighters-xiv-will-release-europe-august-26-2016

Really hoping this bit is true:

Enhanced Online Modes: Create a KOF XIV profile to easily join the action online and fight on the vastly improved netcode. Train with friends in the ‘ Online Training’ mode, or spectate battles and capture replays to analyse fights frame-by-frame.

Netcode is the only thing I'm worried about, everything else looks great.

Online training mode sounds like it will be a great way to teach new players.

Was wondering about his T7:FR win against Nobi in that exhibition, was Nobi sandbagging or was Akuma that much broken at the time?!

He didn't win, Nobi won. It was a FT3 set & Nobi was hella holding back to make it more interesting. Tokido can't even break throws on reaction. You literally can just throw him all day.

shaowebb

Current list of all the Bayonetta changes for folks here to pour over.
shrooby (from smashboards) said:
Dtilt:
Hitbox Size: 3.5 -> 2.8
FAF: 36F -> 38F
Fair:
First Hit Damage: 3.8 -> 3
Second Hit Damage: 2.8% -> 2.2%
Third Hit:
KBG: 82 -> 68
Autocancel Frame: 32> -> 33>
FAF: 36 -> 37
Dair Landing Hit KBG: 140 -> 135
After Burner Kick:
Upwards Kick:
All Hitboxes SDI Multiplier: 1 -> 2
Early Hit KBG: 40 -> 50
Normal Hit KBG: 30 -> 38
Late Hit KBG: 100 -> 112
Divekick:
Damage: 8% -> 6.5%
Angle: 80° -> 60°
Hitbox Size: 6.5 -> 4.5
SDI Multiplier: 1 -> 2
Witch Twist:
All Hitboxes SDI Multiplier: 1 -> 2
Early Middle Hit:
Upper Hitbox:
KBG: 100 -> 97
WKB: 160 -> 140
Hitbox Y Position: 24 -> 21
Both Hitbox Sizes: 8 -> 7
Middle Middle Hit:
Upper Hitbox Y Position: 24 -> 21
Late Middle Hit:
Upper Hitbox Y Position: 24 -> 21
Lower Hitbox WKB: 160 -> 135
Last Hit (First Use):
KBG: 105 -> 80
BKB: 50 -> 55
Hitbox Size: 9 -> 8.5
Hitbox Y Position: 20 -> 19
Last Hit (Second Use):
KBG: 30 -> 50
Hitbox Size: 9 -> 8.5
Hitbox Y Position: 20 -> 19

NEO0MJ

Oh, she hasn't won anything? What a community they are "trying" to find tech to counter her.

Not the first time this happened in a fighter where a character got gutted before they got any real results. Gen had to suffer this in SF IV.

I will say though that they needed to do some changes to her. Touch of deaths in a 1v1 fighter are not fun to deal with.

shaowebb

Not the first time this happened in a fighter where a character got gutted before they got any real results. Gen had to suffer this in SF IV.

I will say though that they needed to do some changes to her. Touch of deaths in a 1v1 fighter are not fun to deal with.

This so hard. I make my balance complaints and stuff a bout marvel and all that but its a 3v3 which means no matter what I say their is a LOT of room to dismantle any threats by taking down members of a team you face. In a 1v1 with touch of death issues though its reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally bad. Theres no margin for error and it bottlenecks the entire landscape into an all vs gatekeeper character sort of tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom