• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't acknowledge Smash 4 because I just think it's a terrible fighting game and its popularity actually slightly depresses me.

I mostly try to forget it exists.

*shrug*

Warxard

Banned
If people who are interested in Killer Instinct want to see the game survive at tournaments, people need to go to them. No two ways about it.

No one cares about KI on the east coast, game is borderline dead for BigE events and the like.

Game is borderline pre-encore Skullgirls-tier in terms of player turnout.

Surprised that KI managed to get over 100+ for Combo Breaker though. Progress I guess.

Still a 'dead' game basically

Tripon

Damn people, at least try to put up the pretense until you can't take it anymore.

Anyway, KI didn't fail by not being made by Capcom. It's not succeeding as a tournament fighter because the XB1 userbase and W10 aren't pushing like it should. It's not even on the level of a core group of people regularly going to tournaments like DOA5 is, and that also has a F2P model for its game.

Warxard

Banned
Damn people, at least try to put up the pretense until you can't take it anymore.

Anyway, KI didn't fail by not being made by Capcom. It's not succeeding as a tournament fighter because the XB1 userbase and W10 aren't pushing like it should. It's not even on the level of a core group of people regularly going to tournaments like DOA5 is, and that also has a F2P model for its game.

The bolded isn't true, KI is dead but it's not THAT dead goddamn. At least, speaking ancedotally here, I haven't seen a DOA event break over 50 entrants at a major.

Then again I don't even follow DOA lol so I can't speak

Skip stones all you want. I've made my case for why I feel it's a bad fighting game, generally. It's missing key things that I feel are fundamental to the genre.

quit crying and back up your opinion with something substantial instead of vague hand-wringling. You don't like a game? At LEAST give some bullshit for people to mull over.

Skip stones all you want. I've made my case for why I feel it's a bad fighting game, generally. It's missing key things that I feel are fundamental to the genre.

What's the point in being all cryptic like this? It's no different than neocons on off-topic going "I have an opinion but it would get me banned", like, just back up your argument using actual cogent points.

Warxard

Banned
Building a competitive scene takes cooperation from both the playerbase and the developer and while there are great helping hands in the KI scene the line is still skewed towards the dev picking up the slack. the usual discord group for the game had the discussion yesterday regarding player turnout for the game and it all usually comes back to good players being broke

traveling and competing is kind of a commitment that branches out of the usual hobby of just playing video games and there are a lot of people who aren't really used to that sort of responsibility.

Kumubou

Relative to LoL or CS:GO, every fighting game is deader than dead and the differences between communities may as well be a rounding error. So I really don't get this whole argument about what games are active or not.

Warxard

Banned
Relative to LoL or CS:GO, every fighting game is deader than dead and the differences between communities may as well be a rounding error. So I really don't get this whole argument about what games are active or not.

people need to validate their commitment to a game by shitting on other people who play something they're not playing

like CS:GO players do

vocab

KI is doing fine. It's not for everybody, suffers from TVC syndrome, but still gets some good turnouts time to time. It has good support from IG. KI has good online with plenty of people playing it. I guess you can call it dead offline, the numbers for it are all over the place. FGC will just shit on other games while playing SFV, and at the same time wishing SFV wasn't a pile of garbage.

Jesus-fucking-Christ.

I'm weather-worn from that discussion. People's minds don't change and it would be a waste of everyone's time. My opinion on the subject doesn't matter.

Sorry I... upset some of you.

Sayad

what is it then? I'd love to hear it
Dunno, could be that it released on a console no one wanted to buy, or that not many liked what they saw! Not sure, what I'm saying is a lot of none Capcom games did so much better than KI(edit: while not having MS pushing them through), it's silly to say it had no chance at finding better success because it's not MvC or SF. That and KI already enjoyed longer tournament life than SFxT, which had SF in its name.

Warxard

Banned
I'm weather-worn from that discussion.

nigga you didn't even SAY anything substantial enough to even be weather-worn
comeon.png

Dunno, could be that it released on a console no one wanted to buy, or that not many liked what they saw! Not sure, what I'm saying is a lot of none Capcom game did so much better than KI, it's silly to say it had no chance at finding better success because it's not MvC or SF. That and KI already enjoyed longer tournament life than SFxT, which had SF in its name.

it had no chance of finding success as a fighting game because it's a fucking sequel to Killer Instinct -- a bad series with two bad games to it's name.

In fact KI has a lot of negative stigmas behind it that has to do with the IP itself rather than how the actual game plays, that no matter how good KI is today people will probably just think it's shit, kind of like BlazBlue when calamity trigger released

Warxard

Banned
Why do you care so much about him not liking Smash?

He doesn't like it, who gives a fuck as to why?

You can't just shit on something without giving some sort of rhyme reason as to WHY that something is bad. Makes you look like a shitposter looking for attention that has no interest in continuing the discussion.

Say I walk into a thread, and just go in the topic of that thread saying "this shit is ass" and just leave. People ask why, and I go "oh it's been said before I don't need to say shit."

Like.....why would you do that. What do the people interested in the conversation get out of it?

Makes you look like a piece of shit who isn't interested in congregating with the forum...which is, the POINT of a forum.

NEO0MJ

Why do you care so much about him not liking Smash?

He doesn't like it, who gives a fuck as to why?

I think what got people was that he said that the game enjoying success makes him depressed. Like, not enjoying a fighter is fine but actively hating it like that just makes you look antagonistic as hell.

notworksafe

Kimosabe stays a bad poster even on his alt account. Shocking news!

and he's too scared to make his comebacks on gaf, so he's a bitchmade bad poster too

4S7Mvnk.png

Dunno, could be that it released on a console no one wanted to buy, or that not many liked what they saw! Not sure, what I'm saying is a lot of none Capcom games did so much better than KI(edit: while not having MS pushing them through), it's silly to say it had no chance at finding better success because it's not MvC or SF. That and KI already enjoyed longer tournament life than SFxT, which had SF in its name.

So has Xrd reached some sort of equilibrium where we don't criticize it based on its popularity? and its niche enough where we can be elitist about it?

Didn't know that I was so intensely disliked. But it makes sense, now. Now I know what 'shiitposting' is and apparently I do a lot of that here. Sorry if I upset anyone. Peace, GAF FGC.

A lot has changed since its release. I thought it was bad, too, though I enjoyed it. Consider giving the game another shot in its current state. It isn't Melee, but I think it is beyond its initial Brawl 2.0 status now and it finds a happy medium.

Also, I have no problems with you as a poster.

ShinMaruku

Never played smash so I can't comment on that, but doa's size is pretty decent for a game in a area that is generally dominated by 2d games and has no legacy, but it's doing the right thing building it's own scene and never trying to convert others.
That soft banw as very stupid because it tried to convert monogamers and that is a fools errand

Beats

personally I find the universal spacing techniques easier to do/better in melee. You can "backdash" while still facing the opponent and have access to all your grounded normals with only two inputs. There's also stopping your dash by crouching and then being able to do whatever after it. Makes the ground game feel better.

Ground movement in Smash 4 feels more stiff since you have to come to a complete stop most of the time before doing anything after a dash. There's the bidou movement tech which looks like it could help a lot, but you have to change up your control scheme significantly and the way you have to input certain things is pretty different compared to normal smash controls. I should put in the effort to learn it, but eh. Wii Fit Trainer with a few of her custom specials was perfect for me so my motivation for getting good at the game has been kinda low ever since the custom moves ban lol.

personally I find the universal spacing techniques easier to do/better in melee. You can "backdash" while still facing the opponent and have access to all your grounded normals with only two inputs. There's also stopping your dash by crouching and then being able to do whatever after it. Makes the ground game feel better.

Ground movement in Smash 4 feels more stiff since you have to come to a complete stop most of the time before doing anything after a dash. There's the bidou movement tech which looks like it could help a lot, but you have to change up your control scheme significantly and the way you have to input certain things is pretty different compared to normal smash controls. I should put in the effort to learn it, but eh. Wii Fit Trainer with a few of her custom specials was perfect for me so my motivation for getting good at the game has been kinda low ever since the custom moves ban lol.
Crouch-canceling is the one thing I want still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom