• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

I don't think there was ever a question of Overwatch being more esports.

Though launch day Twitch numbers are not indication of anything. I could claim Dark Souls 3 is more esports than SFV right now.

I don't think people would pay to watch in person competitive Dark Souls 3.

This is why Overwatch is more eSports than SFV right now.

CjL0dSQVAAIyNfg.jpg
With the amount of money Blizzard can and is throwing into Overwatch, no doubt it will trump SFV in esports.

JeTmAn81

Why does anyone care about Overwatch? I know it's Blizzard but it seems bland to me. It's also impossible to tell by the advertisements that it's an FPS.

pixelish

as someone who has put in 1500 hours in tf2, i am of course genuinely excited for overwatch.

edit: where are the complaints of overwatch being barebones like sfv though?

Shudder...
I make iced coffees and even put in a second espresso maker at the power plant to make em when I'm on shift. I rake in more than I spend on supplies in tips honestly, but one time no one noticed until later since it was coffee that I had used expired milk for the brew. Coffee is naturally bitter and with all the syrups and stuff they couldn't tell...later I checked the date on the milk I had used and it was like a week expired.

Holy shit, I have done this with coffee as well, lol.

This is why Overwatch is more eSports than SFV right now.

CjL0dSQVAAIyNfg.jpg

Beating a dead or dying game is not hard lol. Question is can overwatch take over CS that's their no.1 competition. 99.9% of these veiwers are casual players. Capcom missed their opportunity to get their business. Oh well.....

Neoxon

Beating a dead or dying game is not hard lol. Question is can overwatch take over CS that's their no.1 competition. 99.9% of these veiwers are casual players. Capcom missed their opportunity to get their business. Oh well.....
I wouldn't say SFV is dead or dying, at least not in the competitive scene.

it has arcade mode

I only tried vs. AI in Overwatch during the Beta, but it literally was SF5 story mode AI bad. You can camp the spawn and go a whole game without dying. The game is pretty fun though, right now it's just the mess around phase where you just do whatever for shits and giggles since pub team compositions are a mess. I usually have to pick support or tank because no one scoops them up, luckily Winston, Reinhardt, and Lucio to a degree is fun enough.

If you are talking about the weekly brawl it's a VS. player mode, is was fun for a moment but once it goes to overtime it started to suck. The mode gives everyone more life and shortens their cds, but the problem is that the tanks become extremely hard to kill, like Winston throwing down a shield every few seconds on top of 1k health, then ulting to restore it all. Most of the game time was in overtime because of that, since even some ults aren't strong enough to burn through tanks and low cd skills, especially if healers are throwing stuff down. It did become pretty much a derpy fun fight when you get a some winston's in primal rage trying to beat the crap out of each other though.

Nuu

Banned
Overwatch to me proves that whatever Blizzard does insane hype will go with it. The game is fun, but it is literally Team Fortress 2 with meter management.

Overwatch to me proves that whatever Blizzard does insane hype will go with it. The game is fun, but it is literally Team Fortress 2 with meter management.

Its like a not-as-good version of TF2 with waifus, but its really polished and its the hot new thing so it should be good for a few months at least

I'm so bad at overwatch :(

dat rookie ranked feeling all over again

pick Reaper, walk behind people, M1

Dahbomb

Heroes of the Storm is falling to the way side though and that game never really had that much hype to begin with.

In other news the Steam sales/ower numbers updated for Japanese games. It's shocking to learn what game is Capcom's best selling on that platform:

DmC: DMC

SC2 though (which comp scene mostly died)... Anyway, I assume the TF2 masses want a change of formula and that's what OW provides for them. Personally I'm sick of fpses and I'd like to see a movement back to the crazy air based movement of NS1, TFC which is really derivative of Quake 1 and Quake Arena. Come on ID give me that Quake 1 movement again in your Quake 1 reboot.

Dahbomb

Starcraft 2 had insane hype going into it though.

But once Blizzard got MASSIVELY greedy with the triple expansions that lost them a lot of good will.

It still sold really well though.

K.Sabot

Overwatch can't touch CS

CS has all the esports infrastructure in place and proven for the last 3 years.

Blizzard always spikes their esports ventures into the ground, Hearthstone not withstanding.

Overwatch can't touch CS

Blizzard always spikes their esports ventures into the ground, Hearthstone not withstanding.
Overwatch could strike gold imo. It seems to have the right amount of likeability. Next LOL of fpses (I hate LOL btw ayy).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Overwatch can't touch CS

Yeah, the game is fun but everything seems so disproportionate to the product content. It's kind of jarring in a way where most other hyped game releases aren't, and where if it wasn't from that developer you can imagine this sort of thing being tarred and dissected to bits. Sort of reminds me of the Splatoon effect where fans of a developer shit on a genre for being a cancer until their developer makes one with a quirk and now it's the greatest thing ever. Infrequent mentions of the game in the shameless ripoffs thread were telling enough.

Admittedly, SFV kind of benefits from this too.

Overwatch could strike gold imo. It seems to have the right amount of likeability. Next LOL of fpses (I hate LOL btw ayy).
Being the shiny new thing helps, but so does pubs slowly falling off the TF2 train over the years as well.

Overwatch looks ultra wack. Blizzard really hasn't made anything appealing to me since Diablo 2. I'll never understand the hype or interest in their games that aren't StarCraft

Dahbomb

Hearthstone ended up being way bigger E sports title than Blizzard anticipated. They were too busy trying to get HotS and SC2 going without realizing the mammoth the HS had grown in the esports scene. Then they started actually putting some real money into the tournament scene.

The irony is that Blizzard makes esports work when they don't actually try to make it work.

kirblar

Hearthstone ended up being way bigger E sports title than Blizzard anticipated. They were too busy trying to get HotS and SC2 going without realizing the mammoth the HS had grown in the esports scene. Then they started actually putting some real money into the tournament scene.

The irony is that Blizzard makes esports work when they don't actually try to make it work.
Their infrastructure is so awful on this stuff, they succeed in spite of it because they're Blizzard. As crap as WotC's handling of MTG is, you can easily look up tournaments and such without a hassle.

HOTS is going through the same thing SFV is - launched way too early with way too small a dev team, but is succeeding in spite of it and slowly getting it to the spot it should have been at launch.

I suspect competitive OW is going to be a much tougher long term sell than people realize. This specific genre of FPS has never had competitive success, and I don't know that they've really solved any of the issues inherent to why that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom